Start by marking “Hungry for Change: Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health” as Want to Read:

Pioneers in the field of nutrition and internationally renowned filmmakers, James Colquhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch join with leading experts to offer proven strategies to lose weight, prevent and reverse disease, and optimize health.

With Hungry for Change you'll discover:

Amazingly delicious, nutritious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts

How to na
Published October 2nd 2012 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Hungry for Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry for Change

Amber
Jun 13, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it

Totally liked this book. I loved the advice to stop trying to take things out of your diet, but rather to ADD in the good stuff, which eventually shoves out room for the bad. The more good stuff you add in, the less bad stuff you'll want and have room for in your stomach and mind. Great concept.

That has been my approach to changing my eating habits over the years. I went from having almost zero water in a day and drinking several sodas or coffees and fast food constantly (it is a wonder I was
Jess
Dec 21, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Saw this at work and was intrigued by it. It seems pretty sensible and isn't as extreme as some other books I've seen. I mean, all of this obsession with food and what you should and shouldn't eat drives me insane. But on the other hand, it's clear that we are doing something wrong as a culture. It's all related to our divorce from the natural world: this makes us undernourished not just nutritionally, but mentally and spiritually as well. The message of this book seems to pretty much be: just e ...more
Deb
Nov 20, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
**Simply satisfying**

If you’ve seen (and loved) the Hungry for Change documentary, then this book will be right up your nutritional alley. And, if you haven’t yet seen the documentary or read the book, then you’re in for some healthy treats.

The book does a great job in highlighting the key messages of the documentary: how our modern foods (“foods” is more like it) are at odds with the biological programing and preferences of our bodies, why diets don’t work, and how we can take our health back
Wattle
Dec 28, 2014 Wattle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the documentary before I read the book, it repeated some of the same information of course, but includes substantial section of recipes too. I think it's a great starting point for someone wanting to change their eating habits, but who is having issues doing so, or needs some extra motivation to start.

We all know that there are zillions of additives and chemicals in processed food. I personally didn't realise MSG was everywhere, as I was under the naive assumption that MSG use had grea
Alexis
Mar 20, 2013 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I have definitely mixed feelings about this book, just like I had about the movie. Do North Americans eat like crap? Yes, we eat a lot of garbage. Do we benefit from choosing to more fruits and veggies and more real food? Yes, we do.

However, I'm not a big believer in crap like detox or some of the other things in this book. I felt that there was a lot of good information, but I am choosing to take some of this with a grain of salt. (ha, bad pun.)

If you've seen the movie, you'll find that there's
Tanja
Mar 28, 2013 Tanja rated it really liked it
I loved the Hungry for Change documentary, and the book basically rehashes the documentary (sometimes word-for-word for pages). If as a reader you are looking for added value above and beyond your viewing, you'll find a detox guide and recipes, but little more. I would give the book 4-1/2 stars if I could, ranking it as I would a stand-alone work. The basic premise of this book, that in our culture we are overfed and under nourished, is such an important way to change how we think about food. Pl ...more
L.M.
Apr 24, 2013 L.M. rated it it was amazing
This book was highly informative and a great "condensed companion" to the documentary film. I watched the film and then read the book right after and it really helped to cement the knowledge into my brain. Essentially, this book espouses the benefits of a nutritarian diet--a diet in which you focus on consuming foods high in nutrients but low in calories. As someone who has been slowly cleaning up and cleaning out their diet for years, I found this book to be "the next level". Highly recommend i ...more
Janalee
Oct 22, 2012 Janalee rated it really liked it
This book seemed to boil down just about all the food/health tenets I believe to be true into one simple book. It's easy to follow - unlike The China Study (which must be slogged through until one tires of it and chucks it.) Even though I am familiar with most of what I read, I like to keep myself on track by being reminded and re-inspired. I do want to try Nori now, I hadn't heard of that being a superfood.
Chrissy
May 07, 2014 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
I am not big on the trend of juicing all your meals, and thankfully this book did not tout doing so as 'the' answer, though it does somewhat dissapoint me in suggesting it as part of regular cleanses. (I support the school of thought that our bodies are not designed to take in these nutrients in thIs way: many juice recipes require obscene amounts of produce for one serving, and our bodies weren't designed to take in that much of anything all at once. That said, the juicing recipes I did pay att ...more
Am Y
Sep 13, 2016 Am Y rated it really liked it
This book is more for people who feel something is or might be wrong with the way they're eating/living, and are finally ready to make long-term, long-lasting changes to their lifestyles in order to turn their health around.

Particularly inspirational or interesting were the personal stories featured in this book. Many were of formerly obese or extremely unhealthy individuals who managed to completely overhaul their states of health solely by changing the way they ate.

As someone who could never
Lara
Mar 16, 2013 Lara rated it it was ok
Nothing new here in terms of "stop eating processed food," and I'm not nuts for the juicing bit. It was a quick read, but for better science, read The China Study or anything by Michael Pollan.
Michelle Arthington
Nov 19, 2012 Michelle Arthington rated it it was ok
This volume followed the documentary of the same name nearly verbatim. There were some good and tasty-sounding recipes and information on detox/cleanses.
Gina
Quick and extremely easy read since the 2nd half of the book is primarily recipes. I've been meaning to watch the documentary as well. Common sense for people already interested in moving from processed foods to a more healthy and natural diet, but I do think it could be a difficult move if you are of limited means or the rest of your family is resistant. Seems like a lot of the people were single or didn't have children when they decided to make this change.
Laurel Flynn
Sep 07, 2014 Laurel Flynn rated it it was ok
Light reading....so light in fact that I'm going to recommend that people watch the documentary and then use this book for its recipes. There are much, much more in-depth books with the same sort of transformative dietary and lifestyle advice but if lightweight is what you can handle this may be your thing. It is not necessarily prescriptive but there is a very prescriptive and doable detox menu in the back. Sound-bite quality to it.
Nikki
Feb 19, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
I loved this book. It is scattered with real life success stories which are inspiring but also it doesn't seem preach-y to me. And they talk about how your mental health affects weight loss as well. The authors encourage you to recite this out loud at least twice a day...I accept myself unconditionally right now...and I'm going to try it because I know I'm my own biggest critic!
Trish
Jan 31, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
A wonderful resource for understanding the disease that plagues us in the U.S. Our daily diets have so much impact on how healthy or unhealthy we are. We have a choice in what we eat and ultimately how healthy we are. The trick is understanding what's causing us sickness and this book helps clear some of it up. I plan to purchase this book after reading it.
Beverly Mathis
Good points made

This book poignantly outlines their theories of the dangers of food processing and additives. It is well done but their suggestions are not very easy to implement in entirety due to difficulty in finding half of their suggested foodstuffs. Otherwise an interesting read
May 04, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Great book for those who are new to the idea of eating clean. The information is presented in a way that is interesting and easy to follow. I would have given it a higher rating except I found it was not a revolutionary book and that I was familiar with a good deal of the information (though I appreciated some of the features on beauty products and hidden MSG in our food as I thought they were very informative).
Katie Pozzuoli
Feb 23, 2014 Katie Pozzuoli rated it it was amazing
This book was not at all what I expected when I picked it up on a whim at the library, but I love it. It is an easy read, but was for me very personally challenging. My husband and I have watched the documentary as well, and are beginning to make some big life changes as a result.
Madison
Oct 15, 2014 Madison rated it really liked it
A health book that encourages adding the good while eliminating the bad. I didn't feel pushed, guilted, or insulted. Lots of helpful tips and easy recipes to try.
Amy
Apr 10, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
This book contains a lot of information I already knew, but it is a great resource for those who want to change their eating habits for the better and for good. There's a lot of fabulous personal testimonies of how people who were obese changed their diet as in they ate real food and now are very happy and healthy. We so become addicted to food full of empty calories and nutrition, and by eating REAL food, we nourish our bodies and feel so much better. There was a lot about juicing in this book, ...more
Janet
Aug 19, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Good list of references and recipes in the second half of the book. Good use of people who are now experts in the field and can vouch for changing to healthier diets.
Tammy
Mar 26, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
Liked it, it repeated much of the film's ideas but had some good recipes too. Definitely helped shift some ways of thinking!
Naitao Zeng
Feb 13, 2016 Naitao Zeng rated it really liked it
It would be perfect if without those recipes taking almost 1/3 part.
TimeyWimeyBooks
You don't need it if you saw the movie...unless you want recipes.
Ashley
Jun 30, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
exact same as the film just wish they added pictures for the recipes
Mamers
This book gives a brief overview of health topics. It never goes in depth on any particular topic, just dabbles in information here and there. I was surprised that half the book is actually recipes, but they look simple and easy. Same goes for the meal plans. I liked the addition of the premade shopping list.

It's a great companion to the movie and a good book to jump start your journey to healthier eating. For those further along in their information needs, skip this one. You've already read it
Katrina
I saw the documentary first and was completely intrigued by it. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It definitely got me thinking about the ingredients in the foods I eat as well as my sugar intake.
Teesa
Jan 04, 2014 Teesa rated it really liked it
Great resource for those sick and tired of being sick and tired. I also recommend getting the companion DVD as I did from the library. Great advice for detoxifying the body and getting back the nutrient dense food we need to help the body back to its natural state of wellness.
Kerry Crisley
Jul 15, 2016 Kerry Crisley rated it really liked it
A quick, simple and compelling read on the power of plants. I really liked this book. The authors aren't trying to sell you anything other than eating more plants and cutting back on processed foods. And if the "you really ought to eat your vegetables" argument is one you have heard before, I think this book makes a simpler and more effective case for why.
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • The China Study Quick & Easy Cookbook: Cook Once, Eat All Week with Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • The Gabriel Method: The Revolutionary DIET-FREE Way to Totally Transform Your Body
  • The Science of Skinny: Start Understanding Your Body's Chemistry--and Stop Dieting Forever
  • Superfoods Healthstyle: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Make Your Own Rules Diet
  • The Emotional Eating Rescue Plan for Smart, Busy Women: Make Peace with Food, Live the Life You Hunger For
  • Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman's Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth
  • Spiralizer Recipe Book: Spiralizer Recipes for Weight Loss, Detox, Anti-Aging & So Much More!
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Eating for Beauty

“The food industry has led us to believe that its products are going to make us healthy, happy, sexy, and young. These promises are as empty as the food and drinks they’re trying to sell us. The truth is we’ve never been fatter or in worse health.” 1 likes
“A hundred years ago, all food was organic, local, seasonal, and fresh or naturally preserved by ancient methods. All food was food. Now, less than 3 percent of agricultural land in the United States is used to grow fruits and vegetables, which should make up 80 percent of our diets.” 0 likes