Start by marking “The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger: A Short Story (Tommy & Tuppence)” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger: A Short Story (Tommy & Tuppence)

The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger: A Short Story (Tommy and Tuppence Short)

Previously published in the print anthology Partners in Crime

Tommy and Tuppence Beresford wait anxiously for a letter from Russia that may contain information of international importance hidden beneath the stamp. The letter is anticipated by more than just the Beresfords, and they must fight to keep the information from getting into the wrong hands.
Published May 8th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger

Erin
Apr 04, 2017 Erin rated it liked it
This was a nice quick read. Tommy and Tuppence were witty and quick with each other which is something I enjoyed immensely! I found myself chuckling a few times during their quick banter. This was the first time I had read anything with this duo and after reading this, I look forward to reading more.
Bekah
This was my first introduction to Tommy & Tuppence (aside from their cameo role in a Marple television episode) and I really enjoyed it. I like their banter and snark, as well as how clever they are. Looking forward to reading more from them.
Abeer Albossany
Jul 30, 2016 Abeer Albossany rated it liked it
Liked the whole environment that surrounds those couple. The excitement is starting.
Ken Fredette
Dec 06, 2016 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it
This was a cute story of Tommy and Tuppence and the Sinister Stranger which it turns out to be a bad guy in the employ of a Russian Mob guy during WWII. Tommy and Tuppence pull the wool over their eyes.
bella
Dec 17, 2012 bella rated it it was amazing
Tommy and Tuppence Beresford are awaiting a letter from Russia, that they have told may contain some information of international importance, hidden away under the stamp. However, when the letter arrives it seems that more than one party is awaiting it, and it is up to Tommy and Tuppence to make sure it doesn’t get into the wrong hands.

This is a short story that is now available as a stand alone short story, and readers can also find it in the anthology called “Partners in Crime”. First publishe
Jay
Sep 05, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A very short story that didn't have a lot going on. The most interesting aspect is the multiple mentions of Bulldog Drummond, a competitor book series to Agatha Christie's. The characters in this one mention to the bad guys that they need to keep up with modern culture, including Bulldog Drummond. This is sort of like Macy's Santa recommending shopping at Gimbels!
Jackie Harris
At the time I listened to the audiobook (only 30 minutes long), I remember thinking, "Huh, that was good." Just a few days later, however, I can't even remember what it was about so take that for what it's worth.
Marlee
Apr 11, 2015 Marlee rated it liked it
This book was interesting and engaging. I don't know if there is a proper order for the short stories, but I've read one other and enjoyed both so far. This was quick, but fun to see how it unfolded.
Caroline
Oct 03, 2014 Caroline rated it it was ok
Short story previously published in Partners in Crime.

Tommy & Tuppence are not my favourite of Christie's detectives. This was fairly dull.
Sariene
Someday I'm going to learn that this format just does NOT work for me. I never enjoy stories this short, ever.
Michele
Aug 09, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it
Her short stories are never long enough. while Marple is my favourite, I love Tuppance, too. Reading time we'll spent.
Turking
Turking rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
marcia harris
marcia harris rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
N. Chapman
N. Chapman rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Andrea Soto
Andrea Soto rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Rosalyn Pryor
Rosalyn Pryor rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Geraldine Maguire
Geraldine Maguire rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2017
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Laurie Ewen
Laurie Ewen rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Aerykah
Aerykah rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Tina
Dec 19, 2015 Tina rated it it was ok
A short review of a very short story - over before it began.
Paul Vittay
Paul Vittay rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Lee
Lee rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2017
Lori Jensen
Lori Jensen rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2016
Saumil Shah
Saumil Shah rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Six Mary Westmacott Novels (Giants' Bread / Absent in the Spring / Unfinished Portrait / The Rose and the Yew Tree / A Daughter's a Daughter / The Burden)
  • Manhattan Noir
  • Fer-de-Lance/The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #1-2)
  • Agatha Christie, Woman of Mystery (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 2)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories
  • The London Blitz Murders (Disaster Series, #5)
  • The 8:55 to Baghdad
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • The Four Year Career: How to make your dreams of fun and financial freedom come true or not
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Agatha Christie at Home
  • The Agatha Christie Book Club (Agatha Christie Book Club #1)
  • Murder on the Orient Express
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Case Has Altered (Richard Jury, #14)

More about Agatha Christie...

Tommy and Tuppence (5 books)
  • The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1)
  • Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence #2)
  • N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence, #3)
  • By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence, #4)
  • Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5)