The Taste of Tomorrow: Dispatches from the Future of Food

The Taste of Tomorrow: Dispatches from the Future of Food

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A fascinating look at the people, trends, and technologies transforming the food of today and tomorrow

In The Taste of Tomorrow, journalist Josh Schonwald sets out on a journey to investigate the future of food. His quest takes him across the country and into farms and labs around the globe. From Alice Waters' microfarm to a Pentagon facility that has quietly shaped America...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Taste of Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taste of Tomorrow

Anastasia
The Taste of Tomorrow looks like a foodie book, but don't be fooled. It isn't. The Taste of Tomorrow is actually about the future of food. Josh Schonwald ranges from topics from the future of salad (radicchio) to the future of fish farms (on land, nowhere near water) all the way to the actual future where we may eat a pill or wear a patch to receive our nutrition. (Which for the record I am way against, I don't eat just for nutrition, I like food!)

The book had a ton of facts and a ton of conject...more
Leeswammes
This book is almost a memoir in that we follow the writer around the country (USA in particular, but he also visits my country, the Netherlands) researching the future of food. Unfortunately, quite early on, the writer confesses that he isn’t a great dairy eater, so he leaves out anything to do with dairy foods. Bummer! I’m a vegetarian and I love dairy foods!

Now, being a vegetarian doesn’t mean per sé that I’m not interested in the chapters about meat and fish (I do actually eat fish every now...more
Rachel
I think he fancies himself next in line on the Michael Pollan train of food writers. There were some interesting bits about the future role of nanotechnology in food. There were also a LOT of uninteresting chapters about salad. Bagged salads and radicchio specifically. His point was that he thought that radicchio was going to be the next kiwi. People will be lining up for this stuff everywhere. Apparently most people have only experienced bitter Chioggia radicchio but there is a fantastic kind c...more
Leslie
In The Taste of Tomorrow, journalist Josh Schonwald sets out on a journey to investigate the future of food. His quest takes him across the country and into farms and labs around the planet. We get an inside look at the global food production industry, the future of our food supply and what we may be eating tomorrow.

The book is well-researched covering both current farming techniques and speculating on what the future will bring to our table. It’s written in a very readable and often entertainin...more
Erika RS
This is one of those books where you get the impression that the author had an idea for a book and was going to write it no matter what, dagnabit. In this case, the idea was trying to figure out what food would look like in 2035 (arbitrarily chosen as being far enough in the future to allow for change but not so far as to be unimaginable). The author focused on produce (mostly salad), meat, fish, and ethnic foods -- he admitted freely that he chose these because they held the greatest personal i...more
Katie
Interesting non-fiction book about the future of food by someone who seems to make no apologies about following in Michael Pollan's footsteps.

What will be on your plate in 2035? This is the general question the book sets out to answer. The author attacks this question by looking at current trends and how and when they came out of nowhere. First: produce and bagged salads. Bagged salads took over grocery stores starting in the 1990's. After kale and arugula, what will be the next big salad green?...more
Rob
Schonwald has a laid back and entertaining writing style that lets you enjoy a topic that at worst could seem like homework - research and developement in food. He approached the topic with a pretty open mind and an odd attachment to bagged lettuce. His anecdotal accounts of going to farmers markets, food conventions, research labs, etc. give you insight into what it takes to make food items like his beloved bagged lettuce a common sight on the dinner table. He definitely treads lightly when it...more
Will

Better than I expected and had high hopes for this book.

Whether or not you are a foodie, regardless of your stand on GMO's, and whatever your take is on fish farming this book has something for just about everyone.

Many times the author points out that not everyone is going to agree with everything in this book... some of the concepts and some of the ideas challenged my own beliefs and opinions.

This book filled in a lot of blanks for me when it came to aquaculture and the quest for the great food...more
Amber
I thoroughly enjoyed Schonwald's book - his exploration into the future of food doesn't provide many definitive answers, but he's asking the right questions to the right people, pioneers in the field of in vitro meat, fish farming, artisanal salad farmers, nanotech engineers and food futurists.

The book is written as a meandering journey based on Schonwald's specific interests - he does omit the future of dairy and desserts completely. Starting with salad, he continues into the future of sustaina...more
Mary Kay
Interesting topical glimpses into our food industry and how new products come on line and to my local Safeway. The journalist author interviews important players in the industry as of 2010+, and describes some institutional heavy hitters such as indoor aquaculturists, Dutch efforts to grow in vitro meat, a "food trendologist", and a military lab funded to develop foods for "metabolic dominance" by soldiers. For me, the writing is overly casual, which always makes me wonder if important topics ar...more
Terri Jacobson
This is an interesting look at where our food comes from now and where it will come from in the future, and how different foods go from being fads to staples. I learned such things as how bagged salad became such a popular food item; how America came to love radicchio; how broccoli went from practically 0 as far as yearly consumption per capita in 1930 to being 8 pounds per capita in 2010; how more ocean fish are being farmed and how this is a remedy for our over-fishing the oceans. I especially...more
Brian Bigelow
This is an amazing book that I'm thoroughly enjoying, it's really good. It takes a look at where food comes from at present and where it will be coming from in the future. Just reading the first few pages grabbed me with the way he wrote about the 2035 restaurant visit. It was enthralling, capturing my attention from the very beginning. Throughout the book, in fact, Josh keeps taking looks into a very possible future for mankind. Our food will have to come from somewhere and it could well be it...more
Sara
This book tries to address various food issues from a practical point of view; however, there are definitely things that will make proponents and opponents of GMOs, industrial farming, and food research stop and think, which makes this a valuable read. I found myself disagreeing with some of his conclusions, but respecting the argument and the path that he traveled to make those statements.
Jenny
Another case of thinking I'd be interested in this sort of thing...and I'm not. I think my level of interest would be in a summary chapter of the topics covered, not at this level of detail. I super-skimmed it. I did find one of the last chapters on food trends interesting - going to food shows, rating how a food is trending (where it is in the trend cycle), and making a living at it.
Pat
Fascinating. If you wonder what everyone is going to eat in the coming years, you can learn what the experts are doing about it in this book. How about a lab in the Netherlands which is working on producing "fake meat?" How about inland, indoor fish tanks? Read about some huge food shows to get an idea of what is coming down the pike. (Hint: cobia fish)
Miss O.

Josh is a friend and former colleague of mine, so I was excited for him to FINALLY finish this book after years of research and reporting. However, my dear friend tends to go off on odd tangents and his flourish descriptions are better suited for a work of fiction. Knowing Josh, I cannot imagine the amount of material his editors cut.
Sue
I enjoyed his open-minded explorations of the present day food industry and interviews with people who are trying innovative changes that will help the environment. It was really informative. If you are interested to learn about fish farming, salad bags, and taste trends, etc. then this is the book for you.
Oanh
Interesting. Enjoyed this memoir-esque exploration of the future of food, and the plug for genetically engineered foods and fish-farming to ensure the world continues to eat.

(although, the blurb lies: he does not travel the extent of the globe. He travels around the US and makes a trip to the Netherlands.)
Deedee
A very readable, non-technical look at food trends and research that could make big changes in the way we eat and what's on our plates. A lot of the book is spent on what will be the next big salad green coming out of Salinas, California, and what fish will bump salmon and tilapia from America's seafood favorites.
Pinar
It was definetly an interesting read. Some of the things that I have no idea about such as radiccio, cobia and inland fish farming. But some ideas were far stretched and I am a pro Pollan person, the writer insisted on some ideas as it is the only way. Definetly a good read though
Rachel
Not bad, but not as inspiring as other books on food that I have read. I don't think Schonwald intended this book to be read straight through, as he repeats himself all over the place. He hasn't changed my mind about GMO's, but I'm willing to read more about them.
Alice
A book about food that's (mostly) not about food politics is a welcome relief in 2012. The author is pretty objective, and clear about it when he's not, and I can't wait to eat some of the things he wrote about.
Brittany E
SO INTERESTING. A side of genetic engineering, fish farming, and fringe food science you never knew existed, as told by a farmers'-market-loving skeptic just like you and me.
Hannes
It starts rumbling over salad fields but develops into a fasciniating expedition into lots of food, some science fiction and finally some interesting recipes.
Amanda
Very entertaining and informative. From both the historical journey food has made to our table and what could possibly be in store. Eye-opening!
Scotty

A lovely read, logically bridging two sides of a food discussion in a way that makes sense for the future.
Tina
Some unique ideas on food politics and a bold take on GMOs, but some of the chapters went on longer than need be.
Linn Steward
Linn Steward is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Imogen Bannister
Imogen Bannister is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014