3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  30 reviews
What if you could increase your salary by 15 percent, kick problems and worries to the curb, and get a better night's rest simply by learning how to detect a lie the moment it starts (or even before)? What if you had an easy-to-use test that tipped you off the instant someone held something back from you? An innate lie detector so powerful it becomes an unconscious skill,...more
Published August 28th 2012 by HarperOne (first published May 15th 2012)

An Odd1
We can applaud the feel-good aim of more truth in our lives, but 4* topic denigrated by 1* style. Advertisement for edits and rewrites. Trashy infomercial pushy sell drowns whether common-(non?)-sensical sounding points work. Can one demonstrate a good grasp of this material by applying given techniques to the book itself? Text shows contradiction, inconsistency, exaggeration, over-convincing, deflection, others vouching. A weak five-step structure shakes down better as two: observe the norm, th...more
Jeremy David
YOU CAN'T LIE TO ME, despite the author bragging about breaking up a couple, is a decent, resourceful tool to sorting out all of the dishonesty in your life. While this fight is nearly as pointless as the war on drugs, getting SOME semblance of control can't hurt anybody but the scum bullshitting you. Unfortunately being a man I felt out of place reading this because Janine Driver definitely is talking to women. In fact I don't think there was one single comment throughout this catered to males...more
Ana Raquel
Este livro foi elaborado, de forma autodidáctica - para que o leitor adquira algumas técnicas e estratégias na detecção da mentira. É de fácil leitura, incide e tem como pano de fundo a Psicologia.

Adorei este livro, pela forma como foi construído, pelo carácter didáctico e prático que tem. E principalmente, por ter uma abordagem positiva e realista sobre a vida e tudo o que dela faz parte, como as relações humanas.

Segundo a autora Janine Driver todos nós mentimos. Agora meus caros, há mentiras...more
Haley
I've read a few books that are supposed to tell you how to spot liars in your midst and this is definitely the best.
This is the only 'spot the liar' book i've read with such a focus on establishing the 'baseline' before being able to tell anything effectively. Which is so true and so important, just because someone won't my eye contact or is biting their nails doesn't mean their nervous and lying to you, it could just be the way they are normally.
It's so clear and I can't believe so many other...more
Ginger
Driver expands the typical body language cues for lying into subtle deception detection cues covering micro-facial movements, gestures and changes in voice tone and language structure. She also provides links to web site video examples and exercises. This is a "good read" for all interested in sorting fact from fiction from an author with years of solid experience and the training of high-level professionals in the art and science of deception detection.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
You Can't Lie to Me: The Revolutionary Program to Supercharge Your Inner Lie Detector and Get to the Truth by Janine Driver was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2013.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Whether executives want to admit it or not, during the course of the average week someone, be it a client, vendor, employee or peer, is attempting to lie to them. People faced with this situation use a variety of methods to attempt to determine whether they’re g...more
Bret Beynon
Really basic interpretation of human communication.
No real insights.
Alicia
I gave this book 5 stars because I feel like the information inside was so useful, so practical, and so important! How many of us have felt lied to, betrayed, deceived, duped, swindled, etc? What if you could see someone being untruthful before you got scammed? What if you could call them on it and avoid paying too much, wasting your time, or losing a friend or relationship? That is why this book gets 5 stars.

If I could have one criticism, it is that the first few pages felt like an infomercial...more
Kim
This book was written in a very casual way with a sense of humor. There was way too much information to digest for my little brain, but the things I came away with are fascinating. And she uses very current stories and recognizable names such as Sandusky, Tiger Woods and Casey Anthony to name a few. It includes telling photographs of famous incidents in the media too. I intend to read the book that precedes this one, "You Say More Than You Think" - mostly about body language I believe. The autho...more
Joan
The Kindle edition of this book was very tedious. The technology was messed up, and I could not keep my place in the book. Once it jumped from 4% to 62% and after I'd finally figured out where I was and got the book back on the right page, it jumped to 100%. It repeatedly (20 or more times)jumped unexpectedly to the evaluation page that usually comes up at the end of a Kindle book. Of course that necessitated a tedious search for the correct page. There was just no predicting what it would do wh...more
Jessica Cowan
It's a tad contrived but still an intellectually stimulating journey through deception and some best practices on spotting/avoiding it. Or avoiding being spotted at it ;)
Ceceilia Williams
Janine Driver makes being a human lie detector simple and easy with practice. This book outlines what to look for, when, and why. She even throws in a few self test to help you understand and practice your new skills of BS detection. I would recommend this book to anyone. I really enjoyed reading it and loving my new knowledge of human behavior!
Jessie
The best book I've read about building rapport and quickly establishing what a person's normal behavior is, then how to detect deviations from that behavior, and how to move forward with questions about why that person is uncomfortable or hiding information. Absolutely fantastic!
Zoe
I am only thirty pages through this book but it's so interesting! It totally changed my perception of how to detect if some one is lying to you. It's way more complex then just the stereotypical lying person (i.e. shifty eyes and high blood pressure.) This book mixes stories with facts so its not just dense boring facts it an not easy to put down. Usually I go for the realistic fiction but I really like this book. I'm only a chapter in so the content will hopefully be more varied than the little...more
Darla Sigmon
A useful guide to helping decipher deception in those you regularly interact with. It would take quite a bit of practice to have it work with strangers or those you don't know all that well, but is still very helpful.
Michelle
Pretty interesting. I will read You Say More Than You Think at some point in the future but it was off-putting how some parts read like an "As Seen on TV" ad. Kind of annoying considering that the book actually has good information.
Tanya Reimer
Every chapter was a new discovery. Janine takes on a serious topic but spins it with fun and humour, which makes it soooo easy to understand and follow. I wasn't only chuckling but sharing her words of wisdom with everyone who wanted to listen. I learnt amazing things that related to my life and the people in it. I was shocked to find out what people were really hiding from me!!! I'm buying my friends a copy.
Ted
It's a touch dry even when it tries not to be, but I guess that's what you get from an expert. Otherwise I recommend it highly - if you want to know what Lie To Me would look like in real life (spoiler alert: it's not even remotely)
Cody Sexton
After seeing Janine Driver on HLN so often I decided to give her book a try. And I must say that I wasn't that disappointed with it. I did however take issue with the last half of the book for delving a little too far into the self-help genre claptrap.
The title and jacket blurb piqued my curiosity, so I picked this one up. It's a very interesting read, both from the perspective of understanding the behavior of real-life people, and of conveying believable character behavior in my writing.
Sean Goh
Don't mind-read, ask the right question. Body language is more of a gateway to such questions, by detecting hot-spots (signs of discomfort), but the underlying reason may be entirely benign (e.g. pet just died).
Rena Hime
I think she answered my question, that whether telling a lie is unhealthy or not. Yes, it raises the stress hormones when we lie, and damages our body.
Cupof Tea
I got this book out from the library for my mom, and read a little bit. Good ideas, I don't know if I would go back, or just read bits and pieces.
Fred Leland
Janine just has a great knack for reading people and explaining how its done.
Scott
A very good book if you really enjoy the study of human behavior.
Mike
Nov 03, 2012 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
The author spoke at a conference I was attending.
Darlene Robert
Interesting concept. Learned some new tools.
Vera
Helped me to help my clients better !
  • The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • Your Money and Your Brain: How the New Science of Neuroeconomics Can Help Make You Rich
  • Calling in "The One": 7 Weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life
  • Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
  • Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization
  • The Best Kind of Different: Our Family's Journey with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Models.Behaving.Badly.: Why Confusing Illusion with Reality Can Lead to Disaster, on Wall Street and in Life
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out
  • The Ravenous Brain: How the New Science of Consciousness Explains Our Insatiable Search for Meaning
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan 7 Hari Pintar Membaca Pikiran You Can't Lie to Me (Enhanced Edition): The Revolutionary Program to Supercharge Your Inner Lie Detector and Get to the Truth