Start by marking “The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)

The Madman's Daughter (The Madman’s Daughter #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  18,362 Ratings  ·  3,207 Reviews
For fans of Libba Bray, this first book in a gothic suspense trilogy is inspired by H. G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau and has been hailed by New York Times bestseller Carrie Ryan as having "beautiful writing, breakneck pacing, a pulse-pounding mystery, and an irresistible romance."

Following accusations that her scientist father gruesomely experimented on animals, sixt
Published January 29th 2013 by Balzer + Bray

Emily May

I really feel like I gave this book a fair chance, I read it all the way to the end because I kept wanting to love it and get caught up in the atmosphere of this Victorian horror story - but it was not to be. Not everything I have to say about The Madman's Daughter is bad, so thankfully this will not be a wholly negative review, but there were a number of things I didn't like and those elements combined with long periods of slow, plotless boredom made me feel this was no more than a two-star re
Kassidy
Sep 30, 2013 Kassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved this book! It is so twisted and crazy, and I really enjoyed how dark it is. It's been a while since a book has actually freaked me out a little and this one did that! It's just so weird and messed up, but I couldn't stop reading. I really love the writing and Juliet's voice. I felt sucked in by her story.
There is a big love triangle, which I think turns people away from it. I personally enjoy love triangles and I think this one was done fairly well.
The ending took my by surprise along w
Sasha Alsberg
Oct 22, 2014 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! this book surprised me in the best way possible. So interesting and mysterious. A must read! And that plot twist at the end....gahhhh! On to book two!!
Jamie
What a great twist on a classic story. The Madman's Daughter is a spinoff story for The Island of Dr. Moreau by HG Wells. While you can read this book without reading the other, I encourage the reading of both. Especially to see where the inspiration for this book comes from. Some parts follow very closely the story of Wells' book and others quite different. In particular is Megan Shepherd's original character, Juliet.

Juliet is the daughter the the infamous Dr. Moreau. She is 16 and orphaned on
Khanh (the Grinch)
Mostly creepy, very gory...and sometimes sexy and hot, which makes me feel very uncomfortable with myself. It is not the most exciting read; if you want fast-paced action, look elsewhere. This book is atmospheric and psychological above all else. Lest I inadvertently made it sound boring, it is not. There is plenty of adventure...the heroine finds herself travelling halfway around the world to a wild, mostly uncharted island, after all, but I feel that the ambience and overall tension in the boo ...more
Kiki
Okay, so do you guys remember when I read Shadow and Bone and I thought the plot was kinda cool, I liked the side characters, I liked the heroine - I got on board with her weird morality and can-do attitude - but I fucking hated Mal? (I'm writing this on my phone and iOS 10 actually just autocorrected 'Mal' to 'anal' which is basically the gist of it.) Well guess what.

Round two. Motherfucking Montgomery.

This tool. THIS guy. I swear to fucking god. I actually loved Juliet, because she spoke to me
Wendy Darling
* Riveting beginning with fantastic scenes of horror
* An uneven middle that I'd love to do all kinds of unholy surgery to, especially the over-emphasis on the uninteresting and rather tedious romance(s)
* But saved by a great premise, awesomely freakish moments, solid writing, and a bang-up, untraditional ending.

Author to watch! Review to come.
Will M.
Juliet Moreau is living a somewhat normal teenage life in London. The rumors of her father's past never left her, but they made her a stronger and smarter woman. With a genuine interest in science, she can indeed call herself her father's daughter. Everything was going normal until she once again meets Montgomery, her father's young assistant. Their crossing of paths changed her life for good.

I am quite impressed with this book, especially because this is a YA book. I haven't read an amazing YA
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jun 22, 2012 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who might want to read a more animalistic version of Unwind
Warning : inappropriate koalas ahead.

It happened again. I waited too long to read a book that I knew I was going to like. Instead, I picked up too many books along the way that were nothing but a crap shoot.

What I'd hoped for : Creepy. Gory. Spooky.
Did it happen? : Check, check, and check.

What I wasn't looking for : Overdone Romance.
Did it happen? : Uh...twice. In a way I wasn't expecting.

No, there were no actual threesomes. Sorry to disappoint.

This book was a retelling of The Island of Dr
Giselle
Dec 10, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
Well... The Madman's Daughter is clearly its own kind of disturbing! It's cruel and grisly--I kind of loved it! If you enjoy bizarre "mad doctor" stories, if you enjoy Gothic novels in general, then this book is for you!

As a big fan of Gothic novels, I can tell you that they are much more than just a book. They stand out. Being able to write a good Gothic novel is an art in of itself. The biggest part of what makes them great is the rich atmosphere that they exude. If an author is able to create
Whitley Birks
*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*sasdfj huh? Oh, is the book over? Well, I guess I’d better review it, then.

THE GOOD
Juliet, our main protagonist and narrator, was pretty decent for the first few chapters. Smart, hard working, determined, but not without her female friends and wistful dreams. I liked her, really I did, but only at the start. Sadly, this goodness didn’t last.

The writing, while not my style, was certainly atmospheric. Although it also had this strange tendency to be vague a
Sophia Sardothien
Aug 15, 2014 Sophia Sardothien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
Official Rating: 4.8 Stars. This book is incredibly enjoyable, it is inspired by H.G Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau (which I have yet to read) However I still enjoyed reading this book a lot regardless :D The story is extremely unique and different, I'm so glad I picked this up. The plot was amazing though the beginning was a tiny bit slow, however towards the middle there were a lot plot twist. I won't say the plot twits were extremely shocking but it is indeed unpredictable. The other thing I ...more
Blythe
* I just lowered my rating from four stars to a generous three because, having read the second book, how I feel about this book as a whole and its ending is much more negative than before.

See, I have this really annoying problem (yes, it's a problem. Others may call it a skill, but trust me, when you have it, it's a problem) where, if I go into something knowing that there's a huge twist in the end, I will introspect every little detail that I normally would have overlooked had I not known there
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Every girl wants to believe the best of her father, doesn’t she? I barely remember mine, but no one could convince me he was anything other than perfect. Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau, once a proper young lady and now no more than a servant, is desperate to learn the truth of her father, the man who abandoned her and her mother and left them to starve. When her father’s former servant and now assistant Montgomery shows up in London, Juliet talks him into taking her to her father, on a
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
A copy of The Madman's Daughter was provided to me by Balzer + Bray/Edelweiss for review purposes.

'Dead flesh and sharpened scalpels didn't bother me. I was my father's daughter, after all. My nightmares were made of darker things.'

I feel the need to start off by saying I didn't dislike this book but obviously considering my rating I have some explaining to do. There was creepiness, there was a decent story line, but the pacing was so incredibly slow that it had an adver
Lotte
Wow, I did not see that ending coming. If you can look past a very cliché and unnecessary love triangle, I can actually highly recommend this! It's a twist on the classic The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells and it's full of suspense, eerie atmosphere and some surprising twists and turns. I already got the sequels and I can't wait to read them, since they're based on two of my favorite classics - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Frankenstein!
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
would be a perfect idea if not for the blasted love triangle.
“The world knew my father as a villain. I knew him as the thin man in a tweed suit who carried me on his shoulders during the Royal Guard’s parades. I needed to know which man my father was – the monster, or the misunderstood genius.”

This was a really creepy and entertaining story, with several twists to the tale!

I really liked Juliet and the other characters in this book. I felt sorry for Juliet and everything she had been through with her father being labelled as a madman, and her mother dyi
Caitlyn
May 24, 2015 Caitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-reads
I picked this book up at the library by chance, thinking it was the first book in another series, but I cannot begin to tell y'all how happy I am that I did. This book was dark, gritty, and rough. It was grotesque and sad but in an incredibly addicting way. I was a goner after the first chapter, that's how good this is.

Juliet is the madman's daughter, the creepy crazy Dr. Moreau. He is both twisted and deluded, a deadly combination. He left Juliet and her mother when Juliet was about 10. The no
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Add some science, romance, grotesque, deformed animals and an abandoned Victorian gothic setting in the historical era and there you have, The Madman's Daughter. This book cannot be described as fun, weaved heavily with mystery and horrific writing, this book should be more described as like the title suggests madness. Pure madness.

Ever since her mother died and her father, a once loved scientist was also pronounced to be dead, Juliet's life has been
Joy (joyous reads)
head desk

this is all but the reaction you will get
from this reader who’d rather soon forget
this novel’s hype ran at a fever pitch
but it gave me hives and made me itch.

it could’ve been so good
and I’d imagine most of you loved it
as you should
but I really could not digest
a love triangle is not what I behest

i’m sorry I could no longer continue
i’m sorry my enthusiasm you couldn’t renew
a heroine whose heart was not in it
but for two boys – I just don’t get it.

i’m sure there’s more to this story
but I’ve
Bark's Book Nonsense
Sep 30, 2014 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror
This is a young adult novel with a love triangle. You have been warned.

“Edward and Montgomery were suddenly both by my side, each taking an arm.

My face burned as I looked between them. Two boys, two sets of hands on my wrists. One rough and calloused, the other strong yet smooth. My emotions knotted tighter, threatening to cut off my circulation.”

I picked it up knowing this and expecting the above because I was seduced by the plot. The “madman” is actually Dr. Moreau. Yes, that Dr. Moreau. The
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
My review style is, and always will be, to write up my review right after I complete the book, and I do mean right after. If I can't write the review, I will save the last chapter until I have time. Doing otherwise would allow me to slack off, and I would never get anything reviewed, as well as giving me time to forget the book. The downside of this reviewing method, one I just have to accept, is that occasionally I have to try to compose a meaningful, coherent review while shell-shocked by what ...more
Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)
"To me blood smelled like home..."

I have a love/hate relationship with anything goth-emo-horror. I love to read it, but hate to be scared or creeped out. Terrify me and I resent you. But do nothing and I shall call you "bunny". See you can't win.

I remember The Island of Dr. Moreau movie when I was little. My older brothers were obsessed with it and kept it on repeat in the VCR. While I was usually around when it was playing, I can only remember snippets from covering my eyes. When I heard this w
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
This book and I got on about as well as this:

photo 21_zpsc20f4271.gif

equals me doing this:

photo tumblr_mhed2p3KIl1r42kz9o1_500_zps009e8b94.gif

and this:

photo Dragon_zps07331dff.gif

but there are admittedly some fun creepy things... like this:

photo tumblr_mdd7j8No3j1r2mw7w_zpsdfb9e01f.gif

(you can blame Meg for that last gif)

~1 star for writing
~1 star for twists
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Intense to say the least! I can't even believe that ending! I loved this!
Scarlet
3.5

---Immediate Reaction---

I haven't read The Island of Dr. Moreau so I had no idea what to expect going in, but this was surprisingly good - in a dark, twisted way. The last few chapters were a thrill ride. I wouldn't have guessed the plot twists in a million years.

I have my reasons for the somewhat low rating (more on that later) but for now, I just wanted to say this: The Madman's Daughter is a very strong debut in the horror genre.

---Full Review---

An intriguing start and an amazing end, marr
Whitney
I don't really have too many thoughts about this book. It was good but it wasn't mind-blowing. Also there's a really annoying love triangle. I'm tempted to continue the series because of the cliffhanger at the end but I really don't feel a need to.

I liked the story and where it was going but the narrator, Juliet, could be really annoying sometimes. But the writing was good and I always like a story that's set in Victorian times. Not one of my favorites but it was a good read!
Elena
Dec 23, 2013 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Holy shit this book was freakin' insane!
And I loved every bit of it!

Review to come (I feel like as soon as my exams are over I have to write a hell of a lot of reviews :'D)
Krishna *is a savvy evil overlord*
Possibly this isn't a very original idea, but anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the high school yearbook version of The Madman's Daughter!

Moreau Island High School

School slogan: No is not a word

The Students:

Juliet Moreau

Has the potential to become best student of the year...if she gets out of her own way.
Brains and beauty in one package...not that the boys noticed her brains.
Naturally talented at everything...so naturally daddy issues.

Hobbies: Dissecting, angsting, daydreaming

Favouri
Crazy for Young A...: Pair 2: Sarah Nichole and Lainey (March Besties) 11 8 Mar 14, 2017 04:57AM
Crazy for Young A...: Pair #10: Vicki and Michelle (January Besties) 35 34 Feb 01, 2017 12:19PM
Around the Year i...: The Madman's Daughter, by Megan Shepherd 4 12 Dec 17, 2016 11:26AM
The Gothic Novel ...: The Madman's Daughter 8 25 Jun 06, 2016 11:40AM
Edward or Montgomery? 33 203 Jun 05, 2016 05:59AM
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Hysteria
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Tarnish
  • Paper Valentine
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Another Little Piece
  • This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Blackbirds
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Megan Shepherd grew up in her family’s independent bookstore in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She is the author of several young adult and middle grade novels. She now lives and writes on a 125-year-old farm outside Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband, two cats, and an especially scruffy dog.
More about Megan Shepherd...

The Madman’s Daughter (3 books)
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3)

“The last thing the justice system is, is just.” 45 likes
“My heartbeat faltered. He pulled away, taking a little piece of my heart with him.” 29 likes