Start by marking “Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!” as Want to Read:
Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!

Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The fresh new handbook on how to achieve and maintain stylish natural hair, from the savviest and most revered expert on coils and curls

These days there's a revolution going on. Relaxers are out. Weaves are so yesterday. Tired of damage from expensive chemical treatments and artificial enhancers, women of color are going natural thanks to Nikki Walton of CurlyNikki.com, th...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Amistad

To ask other readers questions about Better Than Good Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Than Good Hair

Cheryl
I follow the website and have been a fan for years. There is nothing earth shattering or life changing if you have been following curlynikki or the other ladies featured in the book. It would have been nice of the photographs were in color and it would have been nice if the drawings looked like someone other than a child had done them. I didn't understand any of the drawings or what ever they were trying to demonstrate. The back of the book with the list of products is awesome. I like lists and...more
Shannon
Sooo this book is not really for white wavy girls like me. Still lots of helpful recommendations that I can apply to my 2a/b wavy hair, but there were many moments when I had no idea what she was talking about. I would have liked more detailed explanations of some of the techniques (ie. how exactly do you seal the hair with oil after conditioning?). Worthwhile for the discussions of what defines beauty, product listings, and personal hair stories.
Traci
Ah-mazing. As if the down-to-earth explanations and detailed-but-easy-to-follow instructions for routines and styles aren't enough, this book dedicates a whole section to white mommas of brown babies! : "No matter what your ethnicity, gender, or current skill level, if you practice, experiment, and seek out advice, your kid's hair is going to look fabulous." THANK YOU for being so inclusive!!
J
(FROM JACKET)These days there's a revolution going on. Relaxers are out. Weaves are so yesterday. Tired of damage from expensive chemical treatments and artificial enhancers, women of color are going natural thanks to Nikki Walton of curlynikki.com, the natural hair blogger and online hair therapy expert.

In "Better Than Good Hair", this gifted "curl whisperer" educates women on how to transistion from relaxed to completely natural hair, with advice and styles for every length-from Fierce Braid-...more
Chamaree
I honestly expected more from this book. Simply because of the way it has been marketed, as a book for ALL naturals. This book is not for all naturals, especially those like me who have been natural for a long time. It's more so geared towards those considering "going natural" or those about to "big chop."

The thing that bothered me the most is EVERYTHING in this book is available on the internet for free. As someone who has been a part of the natural hair community for almost 6 years, none of t...more
Cynthia Pierre
Great for for first time naturalists!!

I've been natural for about 4 years now, reading "Better than Good Hair" has confirmed all the many things that have done or used are on the right path to achieving healthy. Learning about the Henna process was an eye opener for me and can't wait to try. I would recommend this book to first time naturalists and those whose been natural for years.
Hooskadooo
Good book for anyone thinking of taking the leap into natural hair. It points out their options and gives them a starting point. Its also somewhat informative for new naturals but it definitely needs color pictures for illustrations so that you can see what you are meant to see. Some areas of the book also need more clarity. For example, I read about 3 pages of a discussion about Henna before learning that the author was talking about hair coloring. Overall, it is a good starting point into the...more
Melinda
I've been natural for many years and I learned lots of new things from this book. My key take away was the concept of protective hairstyles like twists, afro puffs, and wraps. I gained a foundation for creating my own hair oils. I appreciated learning about co-washes and using conditioners as mild shampooing. It was great information given in an accessible and not judgmental format. Readers are given the choice to use all natural products or products with chemicals without criticism or glorifica...more
Lorna
My sister-in-law bought me this book on Kindle and I am eternally grateful to her for this gift. As a new natural (big chop in Feburary 2013), the book provides a wealth of information. Not only for the newly natural but for anyone thinking of going natural, the transitioner, or someone who has been natural for a while. What I like in particular, is that the information is condensed in one place. There are many, many websites, blogs, and YouTube videos out there with lots of information. However...more
EARNESTINE
I think this is a great book for Natural Hair for those are or considering going natural.
Alicia
Absolutely helpful for anyone transitioning into natural hair.

The photo tutorials and the appendix alone are what sold me. I'm going to have to BUY this book :)
Ciara
This book is great for those who are just starting on their natural hair journey.
Amy Carr
Great reference book! Learned lots!
Pat
Aug 25, 2013 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone considering transitioning to their natural hair.
A good back for any woman of African-American descent who is considering or has already started transitioning from chemically processed hair to natural. A lot of good information and really, I found more questions being raised by what I read. There is a wealth of hair care books, blogs and videos out there to help in that regard. So, I would look to Better Than Good Hair as a beginner's guide, but definitely reach out to the other resources online and in your community to get more direction abou...more
Jasmine Evans
This book was great! Really helpful. I don't have time to browse a million different blogs and watch a ton of YouTube videos. Nikki brought a good portion of the information I needed to know about my natural hair all together. And she did it in a way that kept me engaged. I loved the stories she mentioned...it made me feel less alone...in addition to all the practical info. I now have a hair regimen and my hair already feels softer and stronger.
Vette
Don't get me wrong the book was Ok. I did enjoy reading stories from other naturals. All that I've read can be found on different blogs, step by step on Youtube, or FB pages from other naturals for free. I expected more from this read...I wish the illustration was done in color not b&w sketch......Congrats Nikki on your book! To readers by all means support a sister, but if you a money saver find your answer online.
Jacquelinn Kai
This is a great book, that part I have read helped me to understand my past and resonated with the struggle and love hate relationship that we as african american women and curly headed women in general have had with our natural curls. It is just not fitting for the journey I find myself moving towards, so I have not stopped reading this book... I ready the first section and scanned through the rest of the book.
Monique
Well written with details on how to make the transition from creamy crack to natural. The personal stories and blogs talk to the readers heart. The long hair section was especially interesting to me and takes natural hair further for me. I've been natural for nearly 12 years and I'm still loving it. Step-by-step details on how to use henna, several hairstyles and conditioning.
Angelic
Great handbook version of the website and perfect for those people *cough* me *cough* who want an alternative to searching through endless blog tags to find approaches to basic stuff. This is on my to own list simply for her henna method alone.

Bonus star for this book existing at all. I'm all for youtube, but we need more books about natural hair.
Ekene Chuks-Okeke
I love it!
I've been natural for over a year, and Curly Nikki has always been a Bible of sorts for me- information and encouragement and inspiration, long before I decided to transition. I especially recommend it to the newbie and the transitioner. Going to make sure all my curious and transitioning friends read this!
Denise Williams
This book was very insightful. I am currently on the journey to wearing my hair natural again, so it was very helpful regarding products to try, methods of transitioning and ways to style your hair during the transitioning phase. I will definitely add this one to the collection as a reference while on my journey.
Stephanie
It's a well-written book. But there should have been color photos and more in-depth info. The Curly Girl Handbook had better tips for my 2C strands.
Book Noir (Erica)
Rue
Jun 09, 2013 Rue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: keeper
Read this because I am one year natural and havent really used the CN site much. this served as the blog, forum and everything in one place for me. Because everyone is different in their natural journey, this book serves are a foundation for me and i take what i can from it.
Deena
I liked it because I'm new to being natural, but I can see how someone who has been for a while may not find it as useful. It's a great starter book. I also like that it has a chapter on kids' hair so I can reference it when I start a family.
Karen Burkes
Great book if you are starting or restarting the transition to natural hair. Its a quick read which put the information that you need in one location. The list of products at the end is extremely helpful.
Nje
this was a quick read and I thank God I got a copy just days into my natural hair journey. This is for all the sisters contemplating on going natural or have been natural for a while.
Holly
I'm glad that Nikki made a book. I do love her website /blog. But most if not all of the information, I could get online for free. I think it's a great start.
Susan Elliott
This book has tips, and somewhat of a product guide. It also gave me a recipe for a deep conditioner that I always use on my hair.
Desiree
Pretty good tips for natural hair care, but i think I still like "Thank God I'm natural" a little better.
Reindeer Olympics