Start by marking “Something About Sophie” as Want to Read:

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Answering a call that summons her to a stranger's deathbed, a reluctant Sophie Shepard is too late to hear what he was so anxious to tell her. What was so important that a dying man would think of her in his final moments? With the help of Dr. Drew McCarren, Sophie begins to dig into her past, setting off a chain of events that chills the quiet town of Clearfield, Virginia ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Something About Sophie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something About Sophie

Amy
The first 1/2 of this book was so slow that I had to actually put it aside and read some other books. I am glad I went back and finished it as all of the action and suspense occurred in the 2nd half. Ther was "something about Sophie" that annoyed me. How many times does she refer to herself as "flint" and why?? The relationships seemed force and for someone who was secure in her relationship with her adopted parents, she sure is quick to say "Grandpa" like an eager 7 year old.
Leslie
Sophie Shepard has always known she was adopted but never had the desire to locate her birth parents. She loved her adopted parents and was happy with the home they had provided for her. Investigating the circumstances of her birth seemed unnecessary. When she received a letter from Arthur Cubeck, everything changed.

Arther had written to Sophie several times saying he had something important to tell her about her birth mother. Each time she politely refused to meet with him; but when the latest
Tia Bach
Sophie Shepard's past is a mystery, and the key to solving it dies before she has a chance to speak with him. Before she gives up and leaves town, she decides to follow a few leads. What comes next is a race against secrets and someone willing to kill to keep them buried.

While searching for answers, Sophie shares some intimate moments with Dr. Drew McCarren and feelings start to brew. Too bad their first date ends before it even begins when they find a dead body. More violence ensues, and Sophie
Cheryl
Sophie Shepard receives a letter from an Arthur Cubeck. In the letter he writes that he knows about Sophie’s mother. He wants to tell her about her. This intrigues Sophie as she did not know her or why she gave Sophie up. When Sophie arrives, she is too late. Arthur has dead.

Sophie decides to stay a few days before heading back. She gets to know the towns’ people. However they are hiding a secret from Sophie. One that they do not want her to know.

Something about Sophie is another book that gra
Laura de Leon
3.5 stars.

Mystery meets chick lit?

There's something odd about this book, that gets a little odder the more I think about it.

It's a mismatch between the tone and the events in the book.

The thing is, I like sweet, good-natured women's fiction. I mentioned this in my recent review of Robyn Carr's The Wanderer. And this book out-nices Carr in many ways, particularly the sweet Kindergarten teacher of a main character. She's never been curious about her birth parents, because she loves her adoptive pa
Maria Kiguthi
Sophie a wonderful life as a Kindergarten teacher. She has no interest in finding her birth parents. Then out of the blue she receives a letter from a man she's never met. He wants her to come visit him because he has something to tell her. The man has died right before she arrives. He feels so guilty about something that he has left her his family home, BelleEllen.

Sophie doesn't want the home and assumes that he is her birth father. Then bad things happen around her. Sophie is convinced that a
Monica
My ER book from LT. I won this in January and I finally got around to reading it. As soon as I started reading Something About Sophie I couldn't stop without thinking about what was going to happen next.

Sophie receives a letter from a man she has never met who is on his deathbed. The story starts with us getting a glimpse into this man. He feels responsible for Something about Sophie and is talking to a friend about it. We don't discover what it is until the end.

The writing was splendid and mov
Gia Scott
If you are looking for something deep and literary, you are not likely to like this.

With that said, it's a great summer read. It's entertaining. Some of the reviewers thought it was "too slow". The first half did move a bit slow sometimes, but it did pick up a lot in the second half. I did not find the story predictable and there were some completely unexpected twists in the plot during the last half.

The main character is an adopted kindergarten teacher. She seems to be a bit "too nice" and mat
Kelly Hager
This is a book that I should've absolutely loved, but it fell flat for me.

Part of the problem is that I didn't connect with Sophie at all. (And part of THAT is that I find it hard to believe when grownups have the "infatuation at first sight" thing that she has with Drew.)

And there's also the fact that even the big mystery (who are Sophie's parents? and what happened to her mom?) didn't grab me.

I can overcome one of those things, but not both.

It almost read like Mary Higgins Clark as written b
Coleen
Sophie, adopted as an infant, is summoned to the bedside of a dying man -- a man she's never heard of or met before. However, by the time she arrives, he has already died & she's left with the mystery of why he has willed to her his property, esp. when he has numerous other relatives it could've/should've gone to. Thus begins her search for answers in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. Along the way people are murdered &/or injured suspiciously, and Sophie falls ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A big mystery in a small town that is wrapped up in this unknowing young woman's past - if only she knew. She knew she was adopted and ended up in the home of two loving parents; recently her mother passed away and she was contacted by a pastor who is living his last days and has some information he wants to share with her. Before she arrives in town he has passed away and from there the pieces begin to unravel and finally at the very end the full t
Anne
This one was definitely a page-turner. I really appreciate that about a book, which makes up for the fact that I could have more easily just watched an episode of CSI. The plot was interesting and creative, but the awkward romance was not believable nor was the gentle-character-turned-violent. Lifetime movie network: this is your next big hit!
Amanda
An interesting story about an adopted girl. Plenty of twists in the plot and throw in a bit of romance and it ends up being a nice, light read. I only hope that the verb tense and sentence structure issues are edited before the book is released. This ARC had the most problems I've seen.
Janice Stonehouse
This was an excellent book. I didn't want to put it down. I read 6 chapters last night and the remaining 10 today. Kept me on the edge of my seat, and I loved the characters. Just a really good, enjoyable, easy read. I will definitely want to read more of her books.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Something About Sophie by Mary Kay McComas is a mystery and a romance novel. The novel opens with a dying man, Arthur Cubeck, is killed for telling an unnamed stranger that he has contacted Sophie Shepard to give her information about her birth. Sophie, a kindergarten teacher, was adopted as an infant, but she loves her parents and never wanted to find her birth mother. In fact, Sophie's mother has recently died and she is still mourning her death. When she receives Arthur's letter, Sophie hesit ...more
Laurel-Rain
Responding to a summons from a dying man, Sophie Shepard arrives in Clearfield, VA, after a few postponements...only to discover that Arthur Cubeck has already died.

Before she has a chance to return home again, she is contacted by a lawyer, requesting her presence at the reading of Mr. Cubeck's will. Apparently there has been a bequest left to her.

Sophie has had a premonition that the unusual request from Mr. Cubeck must have something to do with her birth mother, but in the days that follow, ev
Alexis Masters
This was an advanced reader's copy I received from the publisher (William Morrow). Of course by the time I'm writing this, the book has already been out, but that just means you can go read it. (I should note that I don't receive any kind of incentive or compensation from anyone for any of the ARCs I review.) Anyway- this book was far outside the kind of novels I typically read, but I found it rather enjoyable even so. The main character (Sophie, an adopted young woman) travels to a small town a ...more
Patty
Mary Kay McComas

My "in a nutshell" summary...

Secrets and lies bring Sophie back to the place she started from.

My thoughts after reading this book...

A dying man requests Sophie's presence in his town in order to tell her something. Unfortunately he "dies" before Sophie has a chance to see him. When his will is read...a beloved home is left to Sophie. She has no clue why. But...she is adopted...her adoptive parents went to school in this town and lots of sort of shady myste
Nada
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

Something About Sophie is part mystery and part self discovery. Sophie Shepard is a young woman, who comes to a small Virginia town because she receives a letter from Arthur Cubeck. She knows she is adopted and thinks that the information Arthur has might tell her about her birth mother. She is happy in her life and with her adoptive family and does not have a need to find her birth mother, but she comes.

Unfortunately, up
Marie
In Something About Sophie, Sophie is summoned to the death bed of a man she doesn't know. However, she arrives too late and doesn't hear the secret he needed to tell her. With the help of Dr. Drew McCarren, she digs into her past and uncovers secrets that could destroy the whole town.

I mostly enjoyed this book, but something didn't click for me. I thought parts of it were really good, but other parts were just okay. The story was definitely suspenseful and that was good. The long buried secrets
Diana Leigh
The premise of SOMETHING ABOUT SOPHIE had me intrigued. I can't resist a story full of dark secrets. After finishing this book, I'm left with mixed feelings about it.

The protagonist Sophie Shepard travels to a small Virginia town at the request of a dying man she doesn't know. He has something important to tell her, and Sophie assumes it has to do with her birth parents. She was adopted as a baby and doesn't know who her biological parents are. Unfortunately, the man dies before she arrives, but
Audrey
Sophie is your typical small-town girl from your typical small-town. The only difference is, she's adopted. She's never really cared about her birth parents, though, so this doesn't really affect her. Until she is called to another small town by someone who claims to know something about her birth mother. But by the time she gets there, he's already dead. And that's when things get dirty...

This book was interesting in that all of the things that I liked about it were also things I didn't like. I
Melanie Coombes
Sophie, a young kindergarten teacher, feels compelled to travel to the bedside of a dying man she has never met to hear his confession. However, after arriving, she discovers he has already died. A series of events cause Sophie to stay in town and eventually discover some very dark details of her birth. The more she uncovers, the more people start getting hurt and even dying. Sophie realizes there are lots of hidden secrets in this town and with the help of a few new friends, she becomes committ ...more
Kristin
Nancy
Small Town Secrets and Murder

Although adopted, Sophie has no interest in finding her birth mother. She's happy with the parents she has. Then out of the blue she receives a letter from a man she's never met. He wants her to come visit him because he has something to tell her. When she arrives, the man has died, but in a surprising twist, he's left her his family home, BelleEllen. Now Sophie is curious about the reason for the legacy. As she looks into her parentage, ugly incidents start to happe
Grace
Author: Mary K. McComas
Title: Something about Sophie
Description: Sophie has been summoned to a town she’s never visited by a man she doesn’t know. Unfortunately, he dies before she can speak with him. When Sophie meets a charming doctor, she’s torn about leaving; when people start to die, she’s forbidden to leave. Sophie knows that she’s adopted, and she strongly suspects that Arthur knows the secret of her parentage.
Review source: Library Thing Early Reviewers
Plot: McComas kept the plot moving
Dan
Sophie Shepard was adopted and knows about. She is happy with her life and her parents and has no desire to find out how her birth parents are. But then she gets a call from a stranger who has a secret he wants to tell her. But when she arrives in Clearfield, Virginia, this man is dead and nobody in the town seems to know what he wanted to tell her.

There’s something about Sophie that just didn’t hold my attention enough to truly enjoy. Part romance, part mystery, but yet the plot was formulaic a
Tara Mei
Not having heard of the author, Mary Kay McComas, I did not know what to expect of this book. I was pleasantly surprised by Something About Sophie. It truly was an amazing novel written with suspense from the very first chapter. This book deserved every single star that I rated it. I loved how the characters' reactions were not overdone, the chilling twist and how it all came together in the end. This is a book definitely worth reading.

Anyone who likes a good crime mystery novel with a strong ma
Julie
This is a well written story with some mystery and action added for good measure.
Stacy Brown
The opening scene sets the stage perfectly for this dark mystery. There are some lighthearted moments and moments of romance as well. While some of the revelations weren't surprising, others blidesided me completely. This was the first book I've read by this author, but it won't be my last.
  • Postcards from Cedar Key
  • Deadly Readings
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
  • Minding Ben
  • The Tapestry of Love
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Good People
  • Montana Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • Siding Star
  • Godiva
  • Gold Medal Threat
  • Mickey and the Gargoyle
  • Memories from Nana's Kitchen
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • Crime of Privilege
  • Original Sin
  • The Lilac House: A Novel
  • Middle Watch
Mary Kay McComas is an acclaimed romance novelist and the author of twenty-one short contemporary romances, five novellas, and two novels. McComas has received numerous honors and prizes for her work, including the Washington Romance Writers’ Outstanding Achievement Award and two Career Achievement Awards from Romantic Times (one for Best New Novel and another for Most Innovative Romance Series). ...more
More about Mary Kay McComas...
What Happened to Hannah Talk of the Town By the Book Passing Through Midnight (Loveswept, No 722) Wait for Me