Start by marking “Something About Sophie: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Something About Sophie: A Novel

Something About Sophie: A Novel

Answering a call that summons her to a stranger's deathbed, a reluctant Sophie Shepard is too late to hear what he was so anxious to tell her. What was so important that a dying man would think of her in his final moments? With the help of Dr. Drew McCarren, Sophie begins to dig into her past, setting off a chain of events that chills the quiet town of Clearfield, Virginia ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Something About Sophie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something About Sophie

Amy
Apr 13, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 1/2 of this book was so slow that I had to actually put it aside and read some other books. I am glad I went back and finished it as all of the action and suspense occurred in the 2nd half. Ther was "something about Sophie" that annoyed me. How many times does she refer to herself as "flint" and why?? The relationships seemed force and for someone who was secure in her relationship with her adopted parents, she sure is quick to say "Grandpa" like an eager 7 year old.
Leslie
Mar 17, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
Sophie Shepard has always known she was adopted but never had the desire to locate her birth parents. She loved her adopted parents and was happy with the home they had provided for her. Investigating the circumstances of her birth seemed unnecessary. When she received a letter from Arthur Cubeck, everything changed.

Arther had written to Sophie several times saying he had something important to tell her about her birth mother. Each time she politely refused to meet with him; but when the latest
Book of Secrets
The premise of SOMETHING ABOUT SOPHIE had me intrigued. I can't resist a story full of dark secrets. After finishing this book, I'm left with mixed feelings about it.

The protagonist Sophie Shepard travels to a small Virginia town at the request of a dying man she doesn't know. He has something important to tell her, and Sophie assumes it has to do with her birth parents. She was adopted as a baby and doesn't know who her biological parents are. Unfortunately, the man dies before she arrives, but
Laura de Leon
3.5 stars.

Mystery meets chick lit?

There's something odd about this book, that gets a little odder the more I think about it.

It's a mismatch between the tone and the events in the book.

The thing is, I like sweet, good-natured women's fiction. I mentioned this in my recent review of Robyn Carr's The Wanderer. And this book out-nices Carr in many ways, particularly the sweet Kindergarten teacher of a main character. She's never been curious about her birth parents, because she loves her adoptive pa
Tia Bach
Sophie Shepard's past is a mystery, and the key to solving it dies before she has a chance to speak with him. Before she gives up and leaves town, she decides to follow a few leads. What comes next is a race against secrets and someone willing to kill to keep them buried.

While searching for answers, Sophie shares some intimate moments with Dr. Drew McCarren and feelings start to brew. Too bad their first date ends before it even begins when they find a dead body. More violence ensues, and Sophie
Cheryl
May 15, 2013 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Shepard receives a letter from an Arthur Cubeck. In the letter he writes that he knows about Sophie’s mother. He wants to tell her about her. This intrigues Sophie as she did not know her or why she gave Sophie up. When Sophie arrives, she is too late. Arthur has dead.

Sophie decides to stay a few days before heading back. She gets to know the towns’ people. However they are hiding a secret from Sophie. One that they do not want her to know.

Something about Sophie is another book that gra
Maria Kiguthi
Jan 31, 2013 Maria Kiguthi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie a wonderful life as a Kindergarten teacher. She has no interest in finding her birth parents. Then out of the blue she receives a letter from a man she's never met. He wants her to come visit him because he has something to tell her. The man has died right before she arrives. He feels so guilty about something that he has left her his family home, BelleEllen.

Sophie doesn't want the home and assumes that he is her birth father. Then bad things happen around her. Sophie is convinced that a
Kelly Hager
This is a book that I should've absolutely loved, but it fell flat for me.

Part of the problem is that I didn't connect with Sophie at all. (And part of THAT is that I find it hard to believe when grownups have the "infatuation at first sight" thing that she has with Drew.)

And there's also the fact that even the big mystery (who are Sophie's parents? and what happened to her mom?) didn't grab me.

I can overcome one of those things, but not both.

It almost read like Mary Higgins Clark as written b
Coleen
Feb 05, 2013 Coleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie, adopted as an infant, is summoned to the bedside of a dying man -- a man she's never heard of or met before. However, by the time she arrives, he has already died & she's left with the mystery of why he has willed to her his property, esp. when he has numerous other relatives it could've/should've gone to. Thus begins her search for answers in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. Along the way people are murdered &/or injured suspiciously, and Sophie falls ...more
Gia Scott
May 23, 2013 Gia Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for something deep and literary, you are not likely to like this.

With that said, it's a great summer read. It's entertaining. Some of the reviewers thought it was "too slow". The first half did move a bit slow sometimes, but it did pick up a lot in the second half. I did not find the story predictable and there were some completely unexpected twists in the plot during the last half.

The main character is an adopted kindergarten teacher. She seems to be a bit "too nice" and mat
Monica
My ER book from LT. I won this in January and I finally got around to reading it. As soon as I started reading Something About Sophie I couldn't stop without thinking about what was going to happen next.

Sophie receives a letter from a man she has never met who is on his deathbed. The story starts with us getting a glimpse into this man. He feels responsible for Something about Sophie and is talking to a friend about it. We don't discover what it is until the end.

The writing was splendid and mov
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A big mystery in a small town that is wrapped up in this unknowing young woman's past - if only she knew. She knew she was adopted and ended up in the home of two loving parents; recently her mother passed away and she was contacted by a pastor who is living his last days and has some information he wants to share with her. Before she arrives in town he has passed away and from there the pieces begin to unravel and finally at the very end the full t
Anne
Jun 01, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was definitely a page-turner. I really appreciate that about a book, which makes up for the fact that I could have more easily just watched an episode of CSI. The plot was interesting and creative, but the awkward romance was not believable nor was the gentle-character-turned-violent. Lifetime movie network: this is your next big hit!
Amanda
Mar 05, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, first-reads
An interesting story about an adopted girl. Plenty of twists in the plot and throw in a bit of romance and it ends up being a nice, light read. I only hope that the verb tense and sentence structure issues are edited before the book is released. This ARC had the most problems I've seen.
Janice Stonehouse
This was an excellent book. I didn't want to put it down. I read 6 chapters last night and the remaining 10 today. Kept me on the edge of my seat, and I loved the characters. Just a really good, enjoyable, easy read. I will definitely want to read more of her books.
Andrea
May 11, 2017 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story telling was quite vivid. But the story line took a weird turn towards then and the ending was pretty unpredictable.
Marie
Aug 31, 2013 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Something About Sophie, Sophie is summoned to the death bed of a man she doesn't know. However, she arrives too late and doesn't hear the secret he needed to tell her. With the help of Dr. Drew McCarren, she digs into her past and uncovers secrets that could destroy the whole town.

I mostly enjoyed this book, but something didn't click for me. I thought parts of it were really good, but other parts were just okay. The story was definitely suspenseful and that was good. The long buried secrets
Audrey
Mar 08, 2013 Audrey rated it liked it
Sophie is your typical small-town girl from your typical small-town. The only difference is, she's adopted. She's never really cared about her birth parents, though, so this doesn't really affect her. Until she is called to another small town by someone who claims to know something about her birth mother. But by the time she gets there, he's already dead. And that's when things get dirty...

This book was interesting in that all of the things that I liked about it were also things I didn't like. I
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Something About Sophie by Mary Kay McComas is a mystery and a romance novel. The novel opens with a dying man, Arthur Cubeck, is killed for telling an unnamed stranger that he has contacted Sophie Shepard to give her information about her birth. Sophie, a kindergarten teacher, was adopted as an infant, but she loves her parents and never wanted to find her birth mother. In fact, Sophie's mother has recently died and she is still mourning her death. When she receives Arthur's letter, Sophie hesit ...more
Alexis Masters
This was an advanced reader's copy I received from the publisher (William Morrow). Of course by the time I'm writing this, the book has already been out, but that just means you can go read it. (I should note that I don't receive any kind of incentive or compensation from anyone for any of the ARCs I review.) Anyway- this book was far outside the kind of novels I typically read, but I found it rather enjoyable even so. The main character (Sophie, an adopted young woman) travels to a small town a ...more
Kristin
Oct 09, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patty
Aug 13, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something About Sophie
Mary Kay McComas

My "in a nutshell" summary...

Secrets and lies bring Sophie back to the place she started from.

My thoughts after reading this book...

A dying man requests Sophie's presence in his town in order to tell her something. Unfortunately he "dies" before Sophie has a chance to see him. When his will is read...a beloved home is left to Sophie. She has no clue why. But...she is adopted...her adoptive parents went to school in this town and lots of sort of shady myste
Laurel-Rain
Responding to a summons from a dying man, Sophie Shepard arrives in Clearfield, VA, after a few postponements...only to discover that Arthur Cubeck has already died.

Before she has a chance to return home again, she is contacted by a lawyer, requesting her presence at the reading of Mr. Cubeck's will. Apparently there has been a bequest left to her.

Sophie has had a premonition that the unusual request from Mr. Cubeck must have something to do with her birth mother, but in the days that follow, ev
Obsidian
Mar 01, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Something About Sophie" the main character Sophie, has known since she was a child that she was adopted.

Sophie though had loving adopted parents and never tried to find her biological parents. However, one day Sophie is contacted by a man (Arthur) who claims to know who her real birth mother is and has something important to tell her. Sophie upon arriving finds that Arthur is dead and there are plenty of people who want her gone.

Due to being left Arthur's home in his will, Sophie stays and
Nada
Feb 06, 2013 Nada rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-lt
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

Something About Sophie is part mystery and part self discovery. Sophie Shepard is a young woman, who comes to a small Virginia town because she receives a letter from Arthur Cubeck. She knows she is adopted and thinks that the information Arthur has might tell her about her birth mother. She is happy in her life and with her adoptive family and does not have a need to find her birth mother, but she comes.

Unfortunately, up
Melanie Coombes
Sophie, a young kindergarten teacher, feels compelled to travel to the bedside of a dying man she has never met to hear his confession. However, after arriving, she discovers he has already died. A series of events cause Sophie to stay in town and eventually discover some very dark details of her birth. The more she uncovers, the more people start getting hurt and even dying. Sophie realizes there are lots of hidden secrets in this town and with the help of a few new friends, she becomes committ ...more
Nancy
Mar 05, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small Town Secrets and Murder

Although adopted, Sophie has no interest in finding her birth mother. She's happy with the parents she has. Then out of the blue she receives a letter from a man she's never met. He wants her to come visit him because he has something to tell her. When she arrives, the man has died, but in a surprising twist, he's left her his family home, BelleEllen. Now Sophie is curious about the reason for the legacy. As she looks into her parentage, ugly incidents start to happe
Grace
Feb 13, 2013 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author: Mary K. McComas
Title: Something about Sophie
Description: Sophie has been summoned to a town she’s never visited by a man she doesn’t know. Unfortunately, he dies before she can speak with him. When Sophie meets a charming doctor, she’s torn about leaving; when people start to die, she’s forbidden to leave. Sophie knows that she’s adopted, and she strongly suspects that Arthur knows the secret of her parentage.
Review source: Library Thing Early Reviewers
Plot: McComas kept the plot moving
Heather Pearson
Mar 07, 2016 Heather Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a good story that kept me interested to the last pages. I felt compelled to read it as my grandmother's name is Sophie.

Sophie Shepard is unexpectedly drawn into a story almost three decades old when a stranger invites her to visit him on his death bed. She arrives too late. She's then torn whether to determine what he wanted to tell her, or to let these secrets remain untold. Matters are complicated when she meets Dr. Drew McCarren, with whom she feels an immediate attraction.

I enjoyed
Dan
May 03, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Shepard was adopted and knows about. She is happy with her life and her parents and has no desire to find out how her birth parents are. But then she gets a call from a stranger who has a secret he wants to tell her. But when she arrives in Clearfield, Virginia, this man is dead and nobody in the town seems to know what he wanted to tell her.

There’s something about Sophie that just didn’t hold my attention enough to truly enjoy. Part romance, part mystery, but yet the plot was formulaic a
  • Postcards from Cedar Key
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
  • Deadly Readings (Jenkins and Burns Mystery #1)
  • Minding Ben
  • All The Pretty Bones (The Hunted, #1)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Memories from Nana's Kitchen
  • The Tapestry of Love
  • Wanted
  • Mickey and the Gargoyle
  • Gold Medal Threat
  • Crime of Privilege
  • Sinnerman (Sloane Monroe, #2)
  • The Eye Unseen
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • The Tender Mercy of Roses
  • The Understory
  • Middle Watch
Mary Kay McComas is an acclaimed romance novelist and the author of twenty-one short contemporary romances, five novellas, and two novels. McComas has received numerous honors and prizes for her work, including the Washington Romance Writers’ Outstanding Achievement Award and two Career Achievement Awards from Romantic Times (one for Best New Novel and another for Most Innovative Romance Series). ...more
More about Mary Kay McComas...