Start by marking “The Seven Swords” as Want to Read:
The Seven Swords

The Seven Swords (Otherworld Chronicles #2)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Across both worlds are seven legendary blades. Some have been uncovered, Some forgotten, Others secreted away.

Very soon all must be united.

Spending the summer fighting dragons, rescuing wizards, and leaping through portals into the Otherworld was only the beginning for Artie and Kay Kingfisher. The two worlds remain divided, Merlin is missing, and worst of all, Qwon Onakea
Published January 2nd 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Swords

Fallon
Mar 18, 2014 Fallon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young boy named Artie Kingfisher and he goes on a very adventurous journey with his sister Kay Kingfisher. They both go on a quest to find Merlin who is missing and they are also trying to retrieve their friend Qwon Onakea. Qwon Onakea was captured by the enemy.This quest is full of action and they have a very hard time while completing this quest. I really enjoyed this book and I thought it was very well written. This is one of my favorite book series that I have read. This ...more
Karen L
The Seven Swords grabbed my attention at the beginning of this story; however, it got monotonous in the middle with all the emotionally intense and colorful fighting sequences that occurred one after each other. Also unlike the first book, the main characters did not have any free time to themselves where they could explore the new environments they venture into in Otherworld or on the Earth side. This book does have some twists and turns to keep the story interesting, but they leave you with mo ...more
Victoria Brinius
Apr 24, 2014 Victoria Brinius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of times I read the middle book of a trilogy and it is just filler. That is not the case with this book. There was more action and the author expanded on the characters more. I enjoyed reading the author's take on old characters, and I liked that Artie has his round table members ready to go. I did not like the end and it was too much of a cliff hanger for me. However since I had the final book ready to go it did not damage the characters or plot. I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a ...more
Andrea M.
The Seven Swords by Nils Johnson-Shelton

This ARC was provided by Harper Collins Children’s Books I won this through a Goodreads First Reads contest, thank you!

One word: epic. This book was spontaneous and completely unpredictable. You thought you knew what was going on, and who was on whose side, but that’s not the case. For a middle-grade book, I was more than satisfied. The Seven Swords is the kind of book that I’d like to see as a movie.

As being new to Johnson-Shelton’s work, I was unsure
Jaclyn
Mar 31, 2013 Jaclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sent-for-review
He's on His Side

The Seven Swords is a fun follow-up to The Invisible Tower. Artie and his knights are looking for seven swords so they can reach Avalon and Artie can become King.

The Good

Artie is a teenager that loves video games who found out in the first book that he is the reincarnation of King Arthur. His sister Kay is one of his knights as well as a group of other friends they made in the first book.

I really enjoyed the parts with Qwon where she was being held by Dred along with the fairy Sh
David Bradley
Feb 22, 2013 David Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big Thank You to First Reads and Harper for sending me an advance copy of this book!

I don't usually read a lot of Middle Grade books, so this was a nice change of pace from my typical reading schedule and I have to say that I rather enjoyed it. The Seven Swords is the second book in the Otherworld Chronicles, which follows a reincarnated story of King Arthur. In this version Artie Kingfisher is a teenager who has abandoned his normal life and video games to travel to the Otherworld and take hi
Matthyas
Jan 13, 2016 Matthyas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Seven Swords by Nils Johnson-Shelton was a thrilling book about how a boy and his knights of the round table try to stop a with, Morgaine, living in the Otherworld from conquering all of the lands in the Otherworld. He, Artie Kingfisher, is next in line for the throne to Avalon however, Morgaine stands in his way and only with the help of the Seven Sword will he be able to become king.
Robyn Hawk
Dec 13, 2012 Robyn Hawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a GREAT book - but it is a GOOD read...and really which is more important for kids.

The Kingfisher children, Artie and Kay, have found that an Otherworld and magic exist, and that in that world, Artie is King Arthur. They also found that freeing Merlin from The Invisible Tower was not the end of their adventures.

Now, Artie, Kay and the rest of Artie’s court and friends must find and rejoin the Seven Swords: Excalibur, Cleomede, Gram, Kusanagi, Orgulus, the Anguish and the Peace Sword.
Danielle Benich
This was really cute, but definitely geared for a much younger audience. I don't think I would have finished it, but my son REALLY wanted me to read it.
Reading For Sanity
For this review, and more, please visit us at: http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS
Okay, this isn't an actual review, but I have to say this.

The first book in this series was Middle Grade, which I found fine. So I picked up the second book(This one), which had a Middle Grade cover, so I was expecting it to be the same as the first book. But as the book progressed, the started saying 'crap', and P-O guards(Pissed off guards). Also, (view spoiler). And the description during one of the battles scen
Carin
Sep 19, 2014 Carin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventure continues! I enjoy the twists this author puts on the Arthurian legend.
Kyle Benich
Jan 21, 2016 Kyle Benich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so much fun reading the sequel; my favorite part was when all the friends were the sword-wielders.
Amelia
Mar 30, 2014 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-madness
The Seven Swords was an okay book. It had a few exciting parts, but was mostly just dull stuff. The characters were underdeveloped and just a little too perfect. The setting was interesting and cool and some of the creatures were very creative but for fantasy, there are MUCH better books. This book is for mostly younger kids.
Viola Sung
Not bad.
Erin Pauley
Nov 18, 2014 Erin Pauley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this one more than the first! The first one was engaging just not very interesting for me, I had a hard time staying involved. I am glad I committed to the first one though because The Seven Swords definitely picked up the pace and kept me reading until the end. It seems like there will be another book and I plan on reading it as well, I need to see what becomes of Kynder, Artie, and Kay!
Debbie
Apr 20, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good sequel to "The Invisible Tower". Artie and Kay have to rescue Qwon from her kidnappers. They also have to find the seven swords and the people who are supposed to use them. Merlin betrays them, and they have some unexpected allies. I liked this book.
Annalise
Mar 14, 2013 Annalise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had a great twist to it!! I absolutely loved the whole book and I can't wait for the next book to come out!! It ended to soon for me but overall amazing sequel and great plot and everything worked out perfectly!
Mel Raschke
Jen
Feb 18, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is another modern retelling of Arthurian legend. It's not bad.. an easy, engaging read, even if it is a little tired.
PWRL
Sep 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Jade Dragon
Jade Dragon marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Lara Larosh
Lara Larosh rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Asher
Asher marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Malinda
Malinda rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Surya
Surya rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Riley Kirk
Riley Kirk marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • The Ice Dragon (Underworlds, #4)
  • The Nightworld
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • Win or Lose
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • The Lost Heir (The Gryphon Chronicles, #1)
  • Always October
  • The Montauk Project: Experiments in Time
  • This Strange and Familiar Place (So Close to You, #2)
  • Mountain of Bones (Gravediggers, #1)
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • Handbook for Dragon Slayers
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • The Shadowhand Covenant
  • The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)
  • Traitor's Chase (The Last Musketeer, #2)
1960761
While a shocking number of future New York Times bestselling writers were born in log cabins on dirt floors to unwed mothers, I was born in a hospital, though my mom and dad weren't married—which is why I have two last names. I have to say that even though it may sound nice and literary, having two last names is a pain in the butt, so if you're thinking of doubling the surnames of your offspring, ...more
More about Nils Johnson-Shelton...

Otherworld Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dragon King (Otherworld Chronicles #3)