Start by marking “The Shadow Wars (The Demi-Monde Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Wars (The Demi-Monde Saga, #2)

The Shadow Wars (The Demi-Monde Saga #2)

Rod Rees’s riveting dystopian saga continues with The Shadow Wars, the spellbinding sequel to The Demi-Monde: Winter.

First Daughter Norma Williams finds herself stranded in the sinister cyber-world of the not-so-distant future that’s inhabited by some of history’s most menacing villains. Betrayed by those she thought were friends, she must lead the resistance against a ter
Published February 19th 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Wars, please sign up.

Audra (Unabridged Chick)
First, see my review of the first book in this series -- I semi-exhaustively (it felt) recapped the premise of this world.

This is the second book in Rees' four-book series exploring the virtual world of the Demi-Monde, a computer model filled with 30 million historical figures who are self-learning, free-thinking, and self-governing. Initially designed to train US military in aggressive warfare, the real reasons for the programs design comes clearer in this book, and there's an insidious religio
Rae
Oct 16, 2014 Rae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Raymond
Sep 27, 2015 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
I was a huge fan of the first book in this series, so I dove into the second one about as fast as I could. Fortunately, the idea and concept behind this series remains sound. Unfortunately, some missteps combined with a shift in focus for book two means this wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

Following the success of the bad guys in the first book, the new goal is to consolidate power within the Demi-Monde. Since Ella has effectively decided she's a messianic figure within the simulatio
drey
Jul 23, 2013 drey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Norma. Not only does she know she never should have gone into the Demi-Monde, now she’s not sure she can get out. And to make matters worse, her “savior” seems to have developed an alternate personality — one that’s not really friendly, or very interested in saving Norma’s hide. So what’s a girl to do?

Save herself, that’s what. And if that means turning into a revolutionary, then Vive la révolution! Fitting, as she’s now in the Quartier Chaud, wondering what Aaliz Heydrich is doing with her l
Filip
Každý z nás snil o světě, ve kterém by mohl potkat každého, na koho pouze pomyslí. Setkat se s nějakou slavnou celebritou, historickou osobností, či prožít nějakou tu událost, která změnila dějiny. Kdyby někdo vytvořil počítačovou simulaci, mohli bychom být svědky čehokoli, na co jen pomyslíme. Může se ale stát, že by se tento program pokazil a místo vysněného světa by se vše mohlo stát jednou velkou noční můrou, která dokáže zasahovat i do dění našeho světa…

Zima odchází a k moci se dostává Jar
Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de
Zitat:
„Unruhig und gequält saß er allein im Dunkeln, betastete den Remington-Revolver, der auf seinem Schreibtisch lag, und dachte daran, welche Erleichterung es wäre, sich eine Kugel – eine silberne Kugel – in den Kopf zu schießen.“
(S. 26)

„Ihr Schicksal berührte sie an der Schulter, und im Traum blieb sie stehen und drehte sich um.“
(S. 46)

„Wenn man ein Zimmer betrat, in dem sich ein Dunkler Charismatiker befand, spürte man Eiseskälte, selbst am heißesten Tag des Sommers.“
(S. 95)

Inhalt:
Ella ist
Michelle
When readers last entered the Demi-Monde, the situation for our hapless victims/heroes looked bleak. Ella was too late to prevent Reinhard Heydrich from executing his master plan. Norma was still trapped, and for all their efforts, the ForthRight was still poised to take over yet another sector of the Demi-Monde. The Shadow Wars picks up at the exact spot where the first book ends, building on the suspense already established. Yet, readers expecting a rehashing of the previous story, with the us ...more
Deb
Mar 06, 2017 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow read at times and it didn't really pick up until the last quarter of the book. Interesting near the end though and I do want to continue on with the series.
Drennan Spitzer
Mar 08, 2013 Drennan Spitzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Shadow Wars author Rod Rees gives a fully elaborated secondary world of the highest quality. If only all science fiction were so finely imagined and so well written,scifi as a genre would no longer be relegated to a secondary status, labeled mere escapism as it too often is.

The Shadow Wars is the second in Rees's Demi-Monde Saga. It tells the story of characters from our own world, the "real" world, who have been trapped in the highly evolved and very realistic computer generated world ca
Andy Angel
Jul 20, 2013 Andy Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spring is the second volume of Rod Rees' four volume Demi-Monde series.

If you've read volume 1, Winter, (and if you haven't, you really do need to as coming into this blind you really will be confused) you will know that the Demi-Monde is a massive computer simulation allegedly for the US military to train soldiers. The reality is a lot more frightening. It is populated with simulations of some of the vilest, nastiest people from history and someone has plans for the real world.

The first book fi
Corey
Jun 19, 2014 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this book was really incredible! The first one was amazing too, but this one, wow, it just keeps building on the storylines and characters, making things more complicated, sometimes this can be bad of course, but in this book it was done beautifully. The way this author blends in familiar names from human history into this series is very well done.

I absolutely loved the first book in the series, and was so glad I had got if from the free Friday books on my Nook, I cannot thank B&N enough
My Inner Shelf
Feb 09, 2013 My Inner Shelf rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Nous avons là un cas rare du syndrome du soufflet pas frais. Le syndrome du soufflet pas frais, c’est comme le syndrome du soufflet, mais en plus brutal. Le premier volume avait clairement été un coup de cœur pour moi. Lire la suite dans la foulée et l’allégresse du moment a été une évidence. Le début de Spring nous met une baffe avec de nouveaux éléments, quelques révélations qui changent totalement le point de vue du lecteur, des retournements de situation vraiment fascinants, etc. Mais voilà, ...more
Mathieu
Feb 24, 2014 Mathieu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Une suite qui tient toutes ses promesses !

Le rythme de ce second volet n'a rien à envier à son prédécesseur.

L'écriture, toujours plaisante, est au service des personnages, que l'on retrouve avec bonheur, et on poursuit l'exploration du demi-monde avec bonheur.

La grosse nouveauté de ce volet, c'est d'offrir de plus long passage hors du demi-monde, dans le monde réel, ce qui permet de se rendre compte qu'il ne s'agit pas exactement du nôtre.

En outre, l'intrigue se complexifie, les dupes (les habit
Henry Lazarus
It is now spring in the second tale of the Demi-monde saga. In an alternate 2018 world, an artificial computer world was set up in the ABBA quantum computer. Inside the dupes seem quite real. Some of them have been modeled on the worst villains from history. In the first tale the President’s daughter, Norma Williams was persuaded to enter that world and a young black woman, Ella Thompson was sent in after her. Aaliz Heydrich has been sent to the real world using Norma’s body, tapping Norma in De ...more
Petr Čapek
Aug 23, 2013 Petr Čapek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Po úvodním dílu nám autor přidává nové postavy v čele právě s Robespierrem popřípadě markýz de Sade nebo Cassanova. Právě použití reálných postav dává příběhu neobyčejný šmrnc a i když se jedná o naprosto smyšlený příběh, bez jakéhokoliv reálného základu, díky postavám, se kterými jsme se mohli setkat v hodinách dějepisu popřípadě literatury dostává celý Polosvět tak trochu skutečný nádech.

Jedinou nevýhodou tak může být, že knihy se nedají číst zvlášť, jelikož každé roční období na sebe plynule
Penelope
Nov 01, 2011 Penelope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
The first in the series was fabulous and I had high hopes for the sequel and the author did not disappoint. Such an original and well executed idea, the world building shows a divine touch and the characters are so real that I'd love to have them round for dinner (well maybe just the nice ones!) I haven't enjoyed a fantasy so much for quite a while but this series has reignited my interested in good fantasy writing, when it's done well its the best of all the genres and this is done very well.
Vojtěch
Jul 30, 2012 Vojtěch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Po přečtení Jara přehodnocují svůj někdejší názor a dávám jak prvnímu, tak i druhému dílu bezpodmínečně všech 5 hvězd, protože si to opravdu zaslouží. Takový druh knih se jen tak nevidí a pevně věřím v to, že příští díl mi opět vyrazí dech, jak to bylo i těchto dvou.
Doporučuji všem, kteří se alespoň trochu zajímají o steampunk nebo cyberpunk. Je fakt, že hlavně ze začátku se čtenář ztrácí díky mnoha pojmům a termínům, ale jinak je to čirý požitek! :)
Sherry
Feb 21, 2012 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the series I thought was really good. This one, not so much. Would prefer to give it 3 1/2 stars. Just found that there were too many characters, lots of hard names to pronounce, and just way too much detail. Lots of areas were more like blah, blah, blah. Felt I had to read these parts just in case I missed something. Will I read a third one? Probably not. I am done with this series. There wasn't enought to keep me intested to want come back to it.
Michael
Mar 17, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Good, but not great like the first in the series.

Great characters again!

The author writes amazing descriptions of intense sword/gun fights.

I'm looking forward to The Demi-Monde Summer
Epiphani
I'm still reading this book, which kind of says everything: Winter was so good and different that I couldn't STOP reading, but Spring so far is plodding a bit so that it's taking me ages to even remember I'm reading it, much less pick it back up. I really want to find out what happens next, but it's just not as urgent as it was while I read Winter. I'll keep trying, though.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
I just couldn't make it through before my ARC expired. I will try again when it is published because I am interested in the story, but this is one of those books you have to read a little bit at a time to save your sanity.

So, no rating for the 200 pages I read, just a placeholder til I can buy my own copy.
Candice
Dec 24, 2013 Candice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More like 2,5/5. I'm disappointed cause I really liked the first book but not this one. Every two pages boobs are mentioned and since the book is 500 pages long, it gets really annoying. I didn't enjoy where the story was going but I've already bought the next book so I'll read it anyway.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent continuation of the first volume. I don't want to write about plot because you need to know what happened in book 1 to understand it. However, the plot twists and the character development were excellent. Can't wait to read book 3 and 4.
Vikki
Jul 02, 2016 Vikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the first one (which I loved) but I'm still looking forward to reading books 3 and 4.
Emma
Jan 03, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come...
Christy Van Dam
Mar 06, 2012 Christy Van Dam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, can't wait for Summer! Too bad it's soooooo far away!! =(
Florin Pitea
Jun 02, 2013 Florin Pitea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read. Lots of suspense and action. I can't wait to read the sequel. For an extended review, please visit my blog: http://tesatorul.blogspot.ro/2013/12/...
Tim alward
Apr 08, 2013 Tim alward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
i got about 60% through this book and could not do anymore. the first book was great and this one is just trash
Hogenmogen
May 05, 2016 Hogenmogen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not a bad book, but how many new plotlines are going to get started before a few get finished?
Sean
May 25, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to read book 3 :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jantarové oči (Mycelium, #1)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Apocalypsis I
  • Shiva 3000
  • Elfenlicht (Die Elfen, #3)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Artificial (The Kepler Chronicles, #1)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The Folded World (A Dirge for Prester John, #2)
  • The World of the End
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Jericho Moon (Heart of Bronze, # 2)
  • The Steampunk Detective
  • Shriek: An Afterword (Ambergris, #2)
  • Fimfárum
  • Reality 36
  • The Light of Kerrindryr
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk

The Demi-Monde Saga (4 books)
  • Winter (The Demi-Monde #1)
  • The Demi-Monde: Summer (The Demi-Monde Saga, #3)
  • The Demi-Monde: Fall (The Demi-Monde Saga, #4)