Nocover-blank-133x176
Life Happens Next

Terry Trueman

Life Happens Next (Shawn McDaniel #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Stuck in Neutral, a Printz Honor Book, introduced the world to Shawn McDaniel, a fourteen-year-old kid with cerebral palsy. But what happens next?

Shawn's got a new perspective on life. But no one has a clue. That's because they can see only his wheelchair, his limp body, his drool. What they don't see? His brain, with perfect auditory memory. And his heart, which is in lov...more
Published August 21st 2012 by HarperTeen

Tessa
And with this we get the conclusion to Shawn's story. What do you do when you are unable to move your body and express yourself? You just live and hope for the best.

I liked the final conclusion of this series and the answer to that so frequent question most authors prefer to let unanswered after giving their story a happy ending. So, "what happens next?" The answer: Life! We don't know what the future may hold, but as long as we're alive we're sure going to find out :).

I liked Debby and her dog...more
April
Life Happens Next is the sequel to Stuck In Neutral by Terry Trueman and honestly, after reading this book, I can’t wait to check Cruise Control, the companion novel out of the library. So, um spoiler alert: Shawn doesn’t die, and so Life Happens Next focuses on Shawn’s life after he avoids being murdered by his dad.
Read the rest of my review here
Amy
Ms. Yingling
This sequel to Stuck in Neutral and Cruise Control picks up just as Shawn McDaniel has survived what he thinks is his father's attempt to kill him. Shawn is severely disabled by cerebral palsy, and he thinks that his father wanted to smother him but was interrupted by a call from Shawn's brother, Paul. Shawn is very bright, with a great memory, but he is completely unable to communicate with anyone or control his body, so people assume he is cognitively impaired as well. When his mother's cousin...more
Sally Kruger
At the end of Terry Trueman's STUCK IN NEUTRAL, readers were left to decide if Shawn's father would kill him. LIFE HAPPENS NEXT gives them the answer.

Shawn is alive and well. Well, as alive and well as can be expected for an about to be fifteen year old with severe cerebral palsy. Shawn has never walked, talked, or been able to care for himself. Only his dreams and his grand mal seizures offer him a chance to feel free of the body that holds him prisoner.

Glad to be alive, Shawn is still looking...more
Once Upon
This audiobook is narrated by Johnny Heller. Again, I liked the way he narrated, but I wish there had been a little more variety in his character voice changes. Overall, Mr. Heller did quite well getting the emotion of the book across in the audio.

The sequel to Stuck In Neutral was so much easier for me to get through. I felt so much more at ease with Shawn’s condition and the events that took place in this story. It was sweet to hear his thoughts when he was telling us about the girl he loves a...more
Morgan
Originally posted here: http://nothingbetterthanabook.blogspo...

This was a very moving book. Shawn has cerebral palsy, and cannot speak or move any of his body parts on command. Due to this, everyone thinks he is a "vegetable" as Shawn put it. However, he is actually very smart. No one knows that though, because he is not able to communicate.

This book was written from Shawn's perspective. It was really cool to see his thoughts about life and about his situation. It made you think twice about lo...more
Barbara
Picking up where Stuck in Neutral and Cruise Control left off, this book provides additional insight into the life of Shawn McDaniel, who turns fifteen over the course of the story. Although Shawn is unable to speak or control his body, he is quite brilliant and fully aware that his father tried to kill him to relieve what he regards as Shawn's suffering. While Shawn is very much glad to be alive, after all, he also experiences heartbreak as he watches a romance blossom between his older brother...more
Ed
Trueman, T. (2012). Life happens next. New York: HarperColins/HarperTeen. 144 pp. ISBN: 978-0-06-202803-7. (Hardcover); $17.99.

In Stuck In Neutral, Trueman’s Printz honor winning book, Shawn McDaniel’s father plans to smother Shawn with a pillow, thinking that he is doing him a kindness. Shawn has cerebral palsy and has absolutely no muscle control, but he does have a high functioning brain. Shawn’s father does not kill him and this sequel continues Shawn’s adventures, sans his father. While thi...more
Nick
Leslie Preddy
Oct 11, 2012 Leslie Preddy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: grades 8 - young adult
Shawn’s father almost killed him. His mother does everything for him and never leaves him alone. His brother has gotten into fights because of him. His sister dotes on him. He has a crush on a girl but he can’t force himself to look at her. A frightening dog and its owner enter the household to further complicate Shawn’s world as a wheelchair-bound teenager.

Shawn cannot control a single muscle in his body. Shawn has no way to communicate his wants, thoughts, or needs. No one knows what he think...more
Claudia
Terry Trueman is writing this with the full weight of experience. His son has CP and is similarly trapped in a body that just doesn't work, exactly like Shawn. And his wife has a sister with Down Syndrome, just like Debi, a new character added from the first book.

At the end of STUCK IN NEUTRAL, we and Shawn wonder if his father is about to kill him...out of love and despair, but kill his own son. We obviously learn the answer with this book.

Shawn's voice is so smart and smarty. He is so ironical...more
Christie
I just recently finished the book Life Happens Next by Terry Trueman. This is the first book I've read by him, and I would really like to read some more of his work. What really caught my eye was the cover of this book. It shows such a powerful cover that I couldn't resist. When I first started reading the book I wasn't sure what to think. It started off kind of strange, but ended up being such a powerful story. I'm glad that I had the chance to read this book. Terry Trueman did a very good job,...more
Erin Forson
When I read Stuck in Neutral, ten years ago, I remember being impressed by the story of Shawn, moved by Shawn’s character, his realistic and cynical voice and his internal struggles, and sympathetic to Shawn’s family. What must it be like to be trapped in a body which will not obey? I pondered this for a few weeks then went on with my life. I had no idea that, fast-forward ten years, I would be one of those family members caring for a severely disabled young man, and that Shawn’s story would at...more
Brenda Kahn
If you haven't read the author's Printz Honor-winning debut, Stuck in Neutral, stop reading. Definite spoilers ahead. Shawn's father doesn't kill him. He makes it to his fifteenth birthday but is having a bit of a pity party because his crush and his brother have gotten together. Of course neither can possibly know about Shawn's feelings and he realizes that but that doesn't prevent him from wallowing. Of course, he's entitled to. Totally. Enter Debi and Rusty. Shawn's mother agrees to care for...more
Ryk Stanton
This is the sequel to Stuck in Neutral, which I read with my Intensive Reading classes over the past several weeks. I was interested enough to want to know what happened next, and this book was about as good as I expected. I mean, it took out the big suspenseful question that drove the first book and it tried to introduce a suspenseful topic for this one with slightly less success. I'll admit that I had two literal LOL moments near the end of this book that frankly made it worth reading (I mean,...more
Laura Salas
I loved STUCK IN NEUTRAL and enjoyed this, too, but not as much. I've worked as a personal care asst. for young adults with both CP and Down, and I love to see richly developed characters with disabilities in books--especially as main characters! But this one felt a little light on plot for me and a bit heavy of preaching. I still liked it, but I didn't think it was at the level of STUCK IN NEUTRAL.
Queena
This book is about a boy who is paralized from his head to his toes. He cannot walk or pick up anything. Because of this, he is always in a wheelchair. However just because most of his body doesn't work does not mean that all of it doesn't work. His brain works perfectly find. However nobody knows that since he cannot speak.
I think that he sees life in his own way. It's like watching a television show, you experience the things around you and somehow you are part of it. I think that all along h...more
Jean
Golden Sower Preview. 4+ This one is certainly worthy of consideration for Golden Sower. It surely struck a chord with me as many of these same thoughts have crossed my mind lately even though I have been blessed with a body that mostly works.
Favorite quote: "I think about everything, but mostly about the people who already love me. I know that they don't know me, don't know who I really am under my skin and inside. But nobody ever really knows anyone else. We are looks and brains, bodies and f...more
Aubri
I love where Terry Trueman takes this book. Following the drama of the first book it's wonderful just to be with Shawn as he tries to figure out his day to day purpose and goes through his first crush. Like Sharon Draper's Out of My Mind, it doesn't disregard any of the small moments, battles or victories that make up our own epic stories. I think the writing is wonderful. I am afraid I kept it out from the library for a long time after I finished it just because I wanted it around. Thank you Te...more
Betryal
Terry writes another exceptionally great story about Shawn who he bases this story on his own son Sheehan who also has CP.

In this book Shawn has turned 15 and you get to read about what he might be thinking, feeling and you'll enjoy ever word of it. He made me laugh but at moments he'll break your heart.

Utterly amazing story and hope Terry will write more of them. You won't be able to put this one down or get enough reading about Shawn McDaniel.
Jill
Once I started this realistic fiction book, I didn't want to put it down. I wanted to see the connections that Shawn made with his family and if he made any friends. Trueman's writing style was addicting and he really told Shawn's story in an exceptional way. I haven't read Stuck in Neutral, so I'm not sure if this book is a true sequel or not. Fans of Out of My Mind, Mockingbird, and Anything But Typical will surely enjoy his one.
lia
I felt like this book was very much alike as Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
Maybe because of that, and since I didn't read Stuck in Neutral first, the book had less of an impact for me.
But yet, it was a great read, teaching me the lesson of how I should treat people, including people like Shawn, yet also all the rest too.
Leslie
Trueman's voice rings loud and clear - perhaps too clear? A very hopeful and inspiring examination of what a severely disabled teenager is really thinking. Not as readable for story as, say, Draper's Out of My Mind, Life Happens Next is still an unusal book and one that draws much-needed attention to understanding those among us who are "differently abled."
Lorna
3 1/2 stars. I did like it, just not as much as Stuck In Neutral. The book was a quick and easy read and one I could recommend to reluctant readers. I especially liked the voice of Shawn and the message was good. The thing that bothered me was that it seemed like Shawn's family would have been able to connect with him in some way and except for Debi, they just didn't.
Sterlene
After waiting so long for this sequal to Cruise Control, I feel as though this was a bit anti-climactic. However, as before, Terry Truman has done an amazing job showing us a side of life that we will never know, and opens our eyes to the fact that people are rarely as simple as what we see at first glance..
6burrier_kyle
This book is good understanding of a life of disabilities. Terry makes you feel like you are in the book. He makes you feel like the kid with the disability making you feel bad and want to do something but can't. Overall its a good book about a kid who cannot do anything without an adult.
Susan P
This was just OK. Definitely a strong portrayal of someone with a profound disability, but there isn't much happening. Shawn is in there, but no one will ever know. Because of his limitations, the book is all introspection and not much action.
Kyle
Even more surprising then the last, Cruise Control had a great ending that makes you wanting more. I'm truely sad that there are not more books about Shawn and his life and family. I greatly recommend this and other Terry Trueman books to others.
Chatfield Senior High
Stuck in Neutral was one of the best books I've ever read so I was excited about a sequel. While this was good, I'm not sure I felt the same power from this book as the last. Still great and I would recommend.
  • The Final Four
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Now Playing: Stoner & Spaz II
  • Two or Three Things I Forgot to Tell You
  • Kill Switch
  • The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights
  • Chasing Shadows
  • A Certain October
  • The Good Braider
  • Deadly Pink
  • 37 Things I Love (in No Particular Order)
  • Nothing Special
  • Trigger
  • Pinned
  • Have a Nice Day (Anna Bloom, #2)
  • The Impossible Rescue: The True Story of an Amazing Arctic Adventure
  • The Living
Stuck in Neutral Inside Out Cruise Control No Right Turn 7 Days at the Hot Corner