Start by marking “Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)

Breathless (Elemental #2.5)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,698 Ratings  ·  552 Reviews
Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer
Published April 30th 2013 by Kensington Teen

The Elite by Kiera CassThe Program by Suzanne YoungThis Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithTaken by Erin BowmanDark Triumph by Robin LaFevers
New YA April 2013
30th out of 80 books — 147 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireEntwined with You by Sylvia DayReckless by S.C. StephensDown London Road by Samantha YoungNever Too Far by Abbi Glines
2013 Release books to read
202nd out of 1,030 books — 2,303 voters

More lists with this book...

Brigid
Apr 29, 2013 Brigid added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Guess what, guys! I'm having a contest on my blog for people who have pre-ordered Breathless! Go check it out at http://www.brigidkemmerer.com/2013/04...
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Apr 01, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Ash
If you are not reading the Elementals series, you are missing out. I can't think of many other series which are quite as fun as this one.

I also can't think of many other series featuring a household of hot brothers.

Just a heads up : I'm writing this review based on the assumption that you've all read the book's description first. If you've at least read that, then you won't be getting any spoilers from me.

So who here guessed that Nick might be looking twice at guys? Anyone? Anyone? I know that
Wendy Darling
I've thought and thought about what to write about this novella, but all you really need to know is that after some teases in the previous Elementals books including Spark, we finally get to know what Nick Merrick's been hiding from everyone, including himself. This is a must-read for any fan of the series, and after you've finished you'll be beating down the author's door trying to get your hands on Nick's full-length novel Siege, which comes out next year.

If you haven't tried this series yet,
Nicole
Apr 07, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
For being a short novella,Breathlessstill had much story to tell. I'm always amazed by Brigid Kemmerer whenever I read her novels because she never gives us the short end of the stick, even if it's a small story like this one.

Anyway, it is quite the known fact that Nick is my favorite Merrick brother and this novella made him even more so. He is extremely caring and sacrifices his own happiness for his brothers. He may even sacrifice his dreams. What I loved about this novella was the fact that
Sarah (saz101)
Have I mentioned I effing LOVE Brigid Kemmerer? Maybe? Once or twice? And, uh, another novella? Hell YES I am all over that. Nick's my favorite brother (good name he has there), and a story between Nick and Quinn? Bring the swoon! The excitement! The action!

Is it 2013 yet?
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Everyone knows that Michael is my favorite Merrick (if you have any illusions that you’ll be able to take him from me, please keep in mind that I have mad ninja skills I’ve been keeping under wraps all this time and that I won’t hesitate to use them), but what you might not know is that smart, calm, level-headed Nick is a close second. There was always something especially vulnerable about him that made me want to hide him and protect him.

I must admit that I love the direction Nick’s story is ta
MLE
Apr 30, 2013 MLE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, yad, arc
I received this novella as an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I do solemnly swear that this is my honest, and unbiased opinion, and was not influenced by anything but my own feelings and impressions.

description

I have to say I had no idea what I was in for when I requested this book. I had never heard of the series, but it looked interesting, so I thought I'd take a chance and request it. I am so happy I did.

description

This novella has such strong, and well developed characters. Even knowing no
Kristalia
Final rating: 3/5 stars

"With girls, he could smile back. Flirt. A glance here, a touch there, a teasing word. It cost him nothing, and it was what everyone expected.
Right now, it left him breathless and uncertain. Because what everyone expected was in direct contradiction with what he wanted."

This was adorable. Just like any other book from this series. Such a sweet romance and so cute and fluffy that it's unbearable.

This is a story about Nick Merrick. And......he has a girlfriend. Quinn. B
Steph Sinclair
Damn. That kissing scene at the end was pretty HOWT.
Cristy Rey
May 01, 2013 Cristy Rey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
love love love love

Update: I commented on Brigid's FB update about people telling her that an LGBTQ relationship in a YA romance novel was "inappropriate" and this is what I wrote. In a way, it's a review of Breathless and, since she was kind of surprised by it, I think that I should share it with readers/ potential readers because it might make the difference between reading or not reading this book, and/or accepting or not accepting this slight turn in Nick's narrative.

Nick has always been a
Kat
May 10, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
The description is totally insinuating that Nick is gay and I love it.
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
Copy received from publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This series so far has been exciting and not so exciting for me. I loved Storm (Chris' story) and Elemental (Michael's novella) but I wasn't too thrilled about Spark (Gabriel's story). So when this book was accepted on NetGalley for me I was really curious to see what way this one would go. And wow! This was a great novella. I loved every single page of it and I just need more. I'm over the top thrilled for Nick's book coming in 2014.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
May 12, 2013 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA/PNR Fans
4 Stars - So far, So Very Good!
(Emotional Rating: 4.5 stars)
And then she recognized the uncertainty in his eyes, the mixture of worry and fear and panicand need. She struggled with acceptance every day--she'd never considered that someone like Nick Merrick would be struggling with the same thing. He's seemed like such a rock, such a steady, put-together guy, and she'd latched on to him, hoping to find some security.

He was really just as screwed up as she was.

The Merrick family has strong abili
Jasprit

Breathless was yet again another charming instalment in what has quickly become one of my hottest favourite series yet. I have discovered that anything with the name Merrick on I will read and anything with the name Brigid Kemmerer the same goes.

As my love for these brothers has been established numerous times I was quick to snatch up a copy of Breathless, I needed a Merrick fix and I needed it now! Nick in my eyes has always been the quietest Merrick brother, well if you have a twin l
Dana
May 03, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it

That was so much better than I expected. I always liked Chris, but he wasn't the most fascinating of the brothers. He was kind and intelligent, but he didn't get my heart racing. This novella definitely changed my perspective of him.

I loved how there was so much inner turmoil going on, not just with him but with Quinn too, but it wasn't just going in circles. It was understandable without becoming annoying. Well that's not entirely true, Quinn acting like a psycho did have me losing my mind a b
Vilda
I seriously cannot wait for #3 to come out! I loved getting to know Nick better, and I adored him and Adam. I need moreeee! Seems like my reading slump needed some nice and sweet romance... ;)

"Adam's presence left him doubly off balance somehow, like trying to walk a narrow beam during an earthquake."
Madison
Dec 02, 2012 Madison marked it as to-read
The description shouted one thing and one thing only at me:

Nina
Aaaaand another one for my non-existent favourites shelf.

This is the first part of Nick's story, but also Quinn's, and Adam's too, a little bit.
And I wanted to just wrap them all up in a group hug.

As happened with the other Merrick brothers in the previous books in the series, this time we get to see Nick's vulnerable, doubtful, insecure side, what's hiding under a rock of confidence and calmness - and all of this just makes him that much more lovable. I don't mean that as in "OMG I would so do
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
How does an author get me even MORE interested in a series I'm already addicted to???

Anyone???

She adds in some (view spoiler)

Damn Brigid, did you read my mind?!?!?!

This was the perfect teaser for Nick's story. I am now foaming at the mouth to read his full book. I kind of want to skip Hunter's book but I'll try to resist. I'll try.
Eunice
Jan 18, 2013 Eunice marked it as to-read
Oh boy. So...(view spoiler) The blurb sounds like it. Or maybe not. Am I the only one thinking like this? This feels like the time when I finally realized I'd never ever be able to get Matt Bomer turned on, even in my dreams. *sigh*
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Well, that was sure unexpected! I honestly didn't anticipate going that direction! This novella is about Nick. Nick, who is the quiet one, the one that gets the good grades, the one that wants to go to college. Nick is dating Quinn but Quinn is having a hard time of things. Her mother and brother treat her horribly. She doesn't seem to fit in with the cheer squad. Her only escape is when she dances. So she asks Nick to pick her up at the Y where she is rehearsing and Nick meets her new dance par ...more
Wency
Jun 29, 2014 Wency rated it it was amazing
I think I found myself a new fictional crush!!!

If it's not obvious by my exclamation point, I really enjoyed this Novella. I'm halfway through reading the first book of the series but the only thing I care about why I picked it the first place was because of Nick. So yeah, I abandoned ship and never regretted any minute of it.

This a perfect teaser to introduce Nick. Made me all excited reading his book!
Lisa (Fic Talk)
For me, that summary just made me think that the big twist to Nick's story is that... Do Not Click Unless You Want To Be POSSIBLY Spoiled!

(view spoiler)
Bella
Aug 01, 2015 Bella rated it liked it
Uuuuuuu boy, this novella was awesome. Making me love Nick more than I already did, helping us understand him more and (view spoiler)

I've never liked Quinn, I mean, I guess she's alright, but I don't really care for her. This book made me appreciate her and made me feel very grateful that Brigid Kemmerer decided to make a character who is filled with insecuri
Ash Wednesday
Mar 23, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: BR with Stacia
"This - this was new.
And exciting.
And primal and raw and...
And insanely hot."

4 STARS

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think Brigid Kemmerer can write a bad installment in this continually awesome series even if she tried.

To be honest, Nick is my least favorite Merrick in the Elemental series. Enigmatic as the seemingly perfect Merrick brother maybe, I've skimmed over the mystery behind all that perfection in favor of Gabe's in-your-face snark and attitude (snarkitude?) Just as well, Quinn plays too
Novels On The Run
Mar 08, 2013 Novels On The Run rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW by Michelle 8th March 2013:

RATING: 5 BRING ON NICK'S BOOK STARS!!

“Well,” said Adam, a slight smile on his lips.
“That was unexpected.”

I second that Adam. Ms Brigid, that was rather unexpected, lol!

I absolutely adored this novella.

What Brigid Kemmerer can do with a novella!

I really do believe she writes the best novellas, she wastes no words and you just simply want to keep reading. This is why I try, if they are accessible to Australia, to read novella’s that get sandwiched betwee
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4.5 Hearts

When an author, like Brigid Kemmerer, can capture your attention with only 65 pages, there’s a lot to say about her work. Breathless to simply put it left me craving for more Nick Merrick. Kemmerer didn’t hold back in this novella, and delivered the angst, romance, and dose of hot boys – all the elements that make her Elemental series so addicting.

Although, it is a novella and readers know exactly what they are going into, there is never a moment where anything gets boring. We
Isamlq
Apr 14, 2015 Isamlq rated it it was amazing
How unexpected! But just like the other Elemental books, it’s fun exciting and fast… but also not the typical Merrick drama I’ve come to expect. I confess: I’m not up to date on whether Nick gets his own novel, but if like Hunter this novella is but a peek into the trouble he’s going to get into, then that book needs to get here now.

There’s not much to say though, and I always find it difficult to lay down what I liked/disliked, considering this is novella, you know? They’re always almost too s
Anastasia Antonova
Feb 28, 2015 Anastasia Antonova rated it it was amazing
Этот рассказ словно подарок на Рождество. Я все время удивлялась, почему Кеммерер не дала волю своей фантазии раньше? Ведь я прекрасно знаю ее вкусы, они у нас с ней совпадают во многом. Думала, что ничего такого в серии Стихии не будет. Ан-нет, меня удивили. Приятно удивили. Да еще кто, Ник! Вот уж от кого не ожидала так не ожидала. Впрочем, я тему эту люблю, и думаю что Бриджид не подкачает. Фишка таких книг зачастую в чувствах, а не в физических отношениях, которые пестрят везде куда не суньс ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Feb 18, 2014 Jo ★The Book Sloth★ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, fantasy, paranormal
I want to ask a question. How can book heros(heroes? Damn it...I always fidget on this one) resist opening something like a response from college?? How can they actually put it off? My curiosity would have killed me even if I was afraid of rejection. I would have torn open the file in seconds...

Anyway...This (not really) book was epically awesome. It was really short, just a prelude to Nick's story but it helped ease some of my fears for his book.

The first fear...Quinn.

I was really afraid that I
Elemental Series(Bridgid Kemmerer) Forum 1 14 Jul 23, 2013 03:54PM
OMG. 1 70 Oct 15, 2012 02:22PM
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Faceless (Denazen, #2.5)
  • Chained (Roman Holiday #1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Marco Impossible
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • One Day More
  • Made of Stars
  • Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • The Witch Collector Part I
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements, #0.5)
  • Imaginable (Intangible, #2)
  • The Curse Girl
Brigid Kemmerer writes paranormal, fantasy, and contemporary YA, making time bend to her will so she can balance family, writing, and a day job in finance. Some days this works better than others. She is the author of Thicker than Water, The Elemental Series, and the forthcoming Letters to the Lost (April 2017) and A Curse So Dark and Lonely (June 2018).

I love friends on Goodreads, so don't hesit
More about Brigid Kemmerer...

Elemental (6 books)
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Secret (Elemental, #4)
  • Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)
  • Strife (Elemental # 6)

“Adam's thumb tapped against his neck. "Your heart is racing."
No kidding.
Nick turned his head away and took the ice bag. He set it on the table and had to look into his coffee mug again.
"Sorry," said Adam. "I know there's no point in pushing your buttons. You're just so adorable when you blush like that." Then he was grinning. "Or like that.”
35 likes
“Gabriel. Number three?"
That killed the smile. "Yeah. My twin brother. He says he doesn't care if I go away to school, but I know he does."
"Identical twin?"
"Yeah."
"Niiiiice."
Nick cut him another look, and Adam smiled. "Sorry.”
31 likes