Start by marking “The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines, #1)

The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,158 Ratings  ·  1,388 Reviews
An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators—Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist—are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body o ...more
Hardcover, 1st, 479 pages
Published January 8th 2013 by William-Morrow (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Gospel, please sign up.

Molly Edwards No, I picked up the Blood Gospel without the e book. I didn't feel I was missing anything.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
422nd out of 2,465 books — 12,425 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson1984 by George OrwellThe Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Conspiracy Fiction
106th out of 953 books — 1,023 voters

More lists with this book...

Shane O'Neill
Feb 06, 2014 Shane O'Neill rated it it was amazing
This is a book I had wanted to read for so long. Every ingredient in the synopsis whetted my taste buds - it is so my kind of book. Unfortunately, I spend the majority of my time in Norway and ordered it at my UK address. Okay, I accept I do stupid things on occasion. My embarrassment was compounded when one of the authors asked me if I had read it after I had told him/her (I won't say which one) that I couldn't wait. It was well worth waiting for anyway. I could read this book a dozen times.

I w
Cherei
Jan 08, 2013 Cherei rated it it was amazing
WOW!! James Rollins really stepped outside of his comfort zone with 'Blood Gospel'! I didn't get caught up in the wave of 'Twilight' readers or movies. So, haven't really read many "vampire" books. Though.. one does NOT walk away thinking vampires when finished with 'Blood Gospel'!!

I really like the terminology he introduced in the story. It separates out Rollins works.. into a genre of it's own! I truly TRULY enjoyed the read! Now, the HISTORY!! That's where he get me every time! From the siege
Spinster
Apr 04, 2013 Spinster rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
I love archaeology, relics, religious conspiracies and vampires so I was hoping for a good ride, but The Blood Gospel just didn't work for me. I felt like it was riding the success of a bunch of bestsellers without adding anything original or even that interesting to the mix.

The book was clearly trying to create a sinister atmosphere with the constant underground tunnels and caverns and torches, and scary beasts like wolves and bats and bears. Oh come on! Why can't there be a bad bunny for a cha
J.F. Penn
Oct 07, 2013 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
This is James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell on the edge of blasphemy and I loved the book, devouring it in two sittings. Opening with a glimpse into the heart of Masada, Israel, a dark tomb is revealed. As it is destroyed in an earthquake, three survivors escape to face a demonic creature, before a priesthood come to spirit them away on a mission to save mankind. Packed full of fast-paced action, vampires and corrupted creatures, religious themes and emotional resonance, Blood Gospel will delig ...more
Steven
May 28, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, read-in-2015
The Blood Gospel by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell
Published 2013, William Morrow
Stars:
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

Doesn't matter how many times I read this book (this reread makes #3), I am consistently impressed with Rollins and Cantrell's ability to tie supernatural elements seamlessly into historical events, blending and merging the two to create a fantastic story of good versus evil, betrayal and redemption, and Rollins' typical "save the world" scenario. Couple that wi
Mike (the Paladin)
I am not rating this book as I didn't finish it...a lot. I didn't get that far into it and I've had people get upset when I rated books I'd not finished and had what I thought were valid reasons for giving a rating.

I won't comment here on the writing or the story telling. Maybe the characters are some of the best ever to grace the pages of literature. I don't know. I couldn't get passed the vileness of the book itself.

Look, if you aren't offended by the book I'm not criticizing you or judging y
Simona
Jan 20, 2013 Simona rated it did not like it
I really feel bad to give one star to a book, so I think that I need to explain myself.
Since the book is all about suspence, I have to alert that, from this point, all this review is going to be a HUGE spoiler.
(view spoiler)
Crystal Falconer
Jan 21, 2013 Crystal Falconer rated it it was amazing
Anyone who loves archaeology, combined with religious conspiracy, combined with vampire legend, will LOVE this novel...Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Blood Gospel – overall 4 stars.

I have seen mixed reviews on Blood Gospel and, I’ll be honest, I don’t understand all of the negative comments. I have some idea of what may be affecting those readers and I’ll mention it through this review. Having said that, I thought it was good. I liked it and I’ll be looking for the second book of this series.
4-4 1/4 stars.

Overview(not synopsis).

Because there may be some spoilers involved, I’m going to shy away from giving a “Synopsis.” I’ll protect some inf
Stacy
Feb 18, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
This is the most incredible mash up of current popular memes in popular literature. It hit every irritable nerve in my body.

First, we have yet another take on vampires. Give it a rest people, that genre is so worn out at this point. In fact I think Ann Rice and Charlene Harris have pretty much written the definitive vampire stories for the next century.

Second, this is combined with Nazis and archeology for about the 10 billionth time. Another overdone genre.

Third we bring in the "Da Vinci" cod
Helene
Feb 17, 2013 Helene rated it did not like it
Rick F.
Nov 30, 2012 Rick F. rated it it was amazing
There is a reason James Rollins is regarded as one of the very top writers on the scene today. Heralded worldwide for his superb Sigma Force novels, Mr.Rollins has produced a most stunningly amazing new novel, so very original in concept and execution, that one cannot simply pigeon-hole THE BLODD GOSPEL, co-written with the very talented Rebecca Cantrell, into any single genre. This is a very complex and involving novel, one which is extraordinary in it's reach and concept.

The novel begins in th
Michele
Mar 19, 2013 Michele rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed! I was expecting historical fiction blended with good suspense. What I got was teensy little bits of history (that was comprised of tidbits of already well-known facts) mixed with cheesy romance. I abandoned half-way through. The premise of the book is too silly (priest vampires who survive on the blood of christ - just too cheesy for me). The characters were completely non-credible and I imagine this is what romance novels are like (I don't read that genre). Each charact ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Jan 09, 2013 Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-releases
Genre* Mystery, Suspense, Paranormal
Rating* 3.5-4.0

*Review*

James Rollins, author of the Sigma Force series as well as Subterranean, collaborates with author Rebecca Cantrell on The Blood Gospel the first book in the Order of the Sanguines series. As with other Rollins books, this story takes readers on a thrill ride that doesn’t stop until the very end.

The main characters journey starts out in Israel where they uncover a starting find, to Germany where the Nazi’s tried to hide away their loot,
Kym
Jan 28, 2013 Kym rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book. I have loved all of Rollins books, which is saying a lot since some of them can get pretty weird! This one was so different from his others that it made me sad. Where was all his science? I love the scientific discoveries he makes and the adventures that go along with them.
This book had his adventures but lacked so much. He chose to focus on the Catholic religion and.... get this... Vampires. Uh huh. Weird. How he connected vampires and the church was really....
Katy
Aug 23, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fast-paced thrillers, treasure-hunts, history/fantasy mixes
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre: Historical fiction/Supernatural Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Folks who enjoy treasure-hunt type stories, stories that intertwine history with fantasy, fast-paced thrillers
Trigger Warnings: murder, torture, child abuse (implied), child murder (historical)

My Thoughts: Come on, who can resist a book that combines ancient religious conspiracies with vampires? I know I can't!

The story is fast-paced and that helps prevent the reader worrying too much about details. Ho
Susan Tunis
Dec 28, 2012 Susan Tunis rated it it was amazing
New series, new collaborator, new genre for the New Year!

It’s no secret to readers of my reviews that I’m a huge fan of James Rollins’ novels, and have been ever since Subterranean was first published. In the years since, in addition to penning the wildly popular Sigma Force series and several excellent stand alone thrillers, he has written seven fantasy novels under the name James Clemens as well as two young adult adventures. I love that he isn’t content to write the same type of story over an
Chris Bauer
Apr 01, 2013 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I've read everything Rollins has published and have read none by Rebecca Cantrell. After reading "Blood Gospel" I will have to remedy that oversight.

But first things first. If you're expecting a Sigma Force novel, stop right now. This ain't it. Completely different in just about every way. Very much supernatural elements and rife with foreign matter to that excellent series.

I think I was able to determine which portions were handled by the authors based on familiarity of s
Jaidee
Apr 26, 2015 Jaidee rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars-books

4 "holy tamale" stars (3.5 stars really for the writing and a bonus half-star because the story was so damn exciting and horrific)

Wow this was soooooooooooooo damn good. Not literature but a mass market paperback that made me tremble with excitement and frightened me a number of times so that I did not want to go to sleep without my bedside lamp on low.

A sexy vampire priest, a pretty and smart female archaeologist and a macho (but somewhat annoying) American army sergeant hunt for a gospel writ
Casey Wheeler
Feb 01, 2013 Casey Wheeler rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
This is a very poor attempt by Rollins to start a new series. If you are a fan of the plethora of vampire romance novels that are all the rage (and hopefully becoming passe)you may find this series of interest. It is easy to tell which sections Rollins wrote and which sections his coauthor wrote. It is very sluggish in parts and only builds up to a medium pace - very unlike his Sigma series. I kept hoping that the book would pick up to no avail. As this is a series, the ending was written to ent ...more
Teresa
Jan 28, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teresa by: Harpercollins Canada
Wow! What can I say about The Blood Gospel except, "HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK?!?!"

The Blood Gospel was an incredible adventure reminiscent of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons & The Da Vinci Code with one main difference: the incorporation of the preternatural.

James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell weave a tale that grabbed a firm hold and would not let go. The relationship between the trio charged with saving the world from an enemy that no one knew existed is interesting and
Josen
May 23, 2016 Josen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-own
This is just what I'd been looking for. I'd been craving a vampire book (so to speak, lol!) but I didn't want a YA. Nothing really came across my radar and then I found James Rollins. I recently went to the LA Times Book Festival and watched a "conversation" with four authors.....Rollins being one of them. He mentioned he co-authored a vampire book with Rebecca Cantrell. I perked up my ears and thought, what?! I immediately did a search for the book at my library and picked it up. I'm so glad I ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
**SPOILER ALERT**

** I won this book as an ARC giveaway**

Blood Gospel was not what I expected. The beginning did grab me into the storyline. However by halfway through the book I was losing interest really fast. I didn't care for any of the characters and although I like vampires, I just didn't like that element in this particular story. I did not dislike the whole book, as these author's do know how to write well. I just wasn't that impressed as I would have hoped.

If you liked books such as "The
Ms. Nikki
While I enjoyed this book and the ideas behind it, there were flaws. However, I love vampires so much I glazed over many of them.

The story had a nice pace considering the mystery aspect.

I will continue on to the next in the series.

I listened to this book on audio and for some reason I miss more of the story than if I would have if I had the physical book.

L.A. Starks
Jul 27, 2013 L.A. Starks rated it it was amazing
Like Dan Brown with vampires. While I like James Rollins' books, Rebecca Cantrell's co-authorship was a strong addition. A good read, and historical enough to be recommended for (sophisticated) high school history readers.
Randy
Jan 30, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing
Authors James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell have joined forces to create a thriller infused with the unrelenting action he's known for and the horror that's her base. Rollins is a long time favorite and Cantrell is new to me. But based on THE BLOOD GOSPEL, she looks to become another writer I don't miss.

The Blood Gospel of the title is the prize in the first book of The Order of The Sanguine series. The Sanguinists are a sect of Catholic priests that are a bit different. They are vampires, called
Benjamin Thomas
I've read quite a few James Rollins novels so far, and while I've enjoyed them, they have always seemed to fall just a little short of a top-tier read. It's like they were missing something that was always hard to put my finger on. But now that he's teamed up with Rebecca Cantrell for this first book in the "Order of the Sanguines" series, the result is, indeed, top-notch.

There is something here for almost every reader. Whether you like conspiracy books, or ancient mystery books, or action-adven
Jan 10, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I'm a fan of James Rollins' Sigma Force books (scientists with guns), so I jumped on this book as soon as it was published. This story goes a long way beyond the science of the Sigma Force books and into the realm of vampires, werewolves, and the living dead. The action starts when an earthquake breaks open the mountain of Masada in Israel, releasing a mysterious gas that kills everyone but one teenaged boy. An archaeologist on a dig in Cesearea, and American ranger squad, and a Roman Catholic p ...more
Tom Tischler
Jan 24, 2013 Tom Tischler rated it it was amazing
A terrible earthquake in Masada, Israel kills hundreds and
reveals a tomb buried in the mountain. Sgt. Jordan Stone a
military forensic expert, Father Rhun Korza a Vatican priest and
Dr Erin Granger a disillusioned archaeologist are sent to
investigate. They discover the crucified body of a mummified girl.
A brutal attack at the site sets the three of them on the run
in a race to discover a book that was once preserved in the
tombs sarcophagus. A book rumored to have been writted by Christ
in his own b
Steven
Jan 14, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book totally blew me away!

I've always been a James Rollins fan, since the day I discovered him (ie needed a book for a LONG cross-country drive in a moving van, randomly picked up Map of Bones paperback off the shelf at Target and BAM! LOVE!). He's got great characters, stories spanning centuries and continents, and the fate of the world in the hands of a small group of heroes.

I think my favorite part about this book is that James Rollins really stepped out of his "norm" for his adults
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Lost Island (Gideon Crew, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
  • Carpathian (Event Group Thriller #8)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The Tower
James Rollins is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins has a knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality that has been hailed by critics and embraced by millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...

The Order of the Sanguines (3 books)
  • Innocent Blood (The Order of the Sanguines, #2)
  • Blood Infernal (The Order of the Sanguines, #3)

“Biblical references about knowledge and good and evil often get tangled up.” 8 likes
“He counted his steps. That was how you got through tough things. You counted. Once you said, "one," then you knew "two" was coming, and "three" right after that.” 7 likes