Start by marking “Just a Big Storm” as Want to Read:
Just a Big Storm

Just a Big Storm (Little Critter)

When a big storm passes over their house, Little Critter® and his family lose power! What will they do without it?
Unknown Binding, 24 pages
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Just a Big Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Big Storm

Abby
Aug 31, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-we-own
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book for any little one that gets worried when there is a storm a brewing! We recently had a pretty bad storm come a couple of months ago and our power was out for 2 Nights and 3 Days. It was the first time our 5 year-old had experienced anything like it. We had to use coolers for our food, have flashlights with us all night, and keep out of the fridge. What happens in this book perfectly mirrored our experience! I thought it would be a great read for now, and during any ...more
Alison
Feb 21, 2013 Alison marked it as to-read
Looking forward to checking this title out on its release in the beginning of March.

2012-2013 has been the year of weather disasters. As I write this, the Midwest is getting wholloped with a blizzard. 3 weeks ago, New England got slammed with almost 30 inches of snow. And where I live-people are still recovering from the effects of Hurricane Sandy.

In short-a very clear, concise and direct book for kids on what happens during and how to prepare for these mega storms is long overdue.

Would love to
Karen
Jan 11, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Today, we are having a not very lovely winter thunderstorm. Complete with my five-year-old son's thunder monster.

The Critter family knows how to prepare for a BIG thunderstorm -- more than just my usual break out the candles and flashlights routine -- so it was actually useful reading for me. But I'm not the target audience. Little Critter knows how to make every situation fun, and every adventure exciting. That can take away some of the scariness of the thunder monster for my son. And that is
Robbi Caldwell
May 05, 2016 Robbi Caldwell rated it really liked it
Fabulous and fun book to use as a tool in helping children learn what to expect when a storm comes while staying calm. Growing up in an area with frequent storms and tornadoes, it's easy to develop a fear and while I try to maintain a calm attitude myself, I find this book to be an extremely helpful way to also reassure my daughter when there is a storm. This is definitely one I would recommend and also one that would be handy to have on your shelf at home.
Andrea
Mar 27, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: alex-books
Many kids are afraid of storms so this book is a great tool to help kids deal with a scary situation and make it fun.

I like how realistically the family deals with the storm. It's exactly what I remember from when I was a child and my parents got us through the storms right down to called the grandparents when power was restored to let them know we are alright.

Too bad it can't help with my dogs who are the only ones in the house who are actually afraid of storms.
Rachael
Dec 10, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it
This book is about a family who experiences a major storm. Little Critter becomes scared and needs his dad to help him use a flashlight to see through the hosue when the power runs out. I would use this book in my classroom to teach the students how to cope when a situation like this occurs.
Miri
May 24, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
Little Critter and his family are riding out a really big storm, but he's not scared, he's prepared!
Sophie
Jul 20, 2015 Sophie added it
I read this one on the toddler bed with mom and dad. I always point out the dad's uvula (tonsils) and ask, "what's that?" when he's snoring near the end of the book.
Evyn
Evyn rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Charlie Leavitt
Charlie Leavitt rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
janet wolfe
janet wolfe rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
Sebi
Sebi rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Audra
Audra rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
James M Mascolo
James M Mascolo rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Gayle Self Johnson
Gayle Self Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
beverly Watson
beverly Watson rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Jennifer Finch
Jennifer Finch rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Celticoracle
Celticoracle rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Karen Babcock campbell
Karen Babcock campbell rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Peyton Hyder
Peyton Hyder rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Daynelle
Daynelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad