Start by marking “Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella” as Want to Read:
Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella

Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella

Nestled in the warm belly of the abandoned Keisel Steel Works, an ancient creature has begun to stir. A one-hundred-year cycle is drawing to a rapid close and with it the time when the beast must lead her newly hatched young to the feeding grounds.

A handful of the oldest folks in town remember that time well. A time when the sky was clotted with flapping, leathery wings an
Published October 11th 2011 by Trebor Books

To ask other readers questions about Bird of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird of Prey

The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review of Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes
5 stars

The two aspects I liked best of this novella were the horror, and the friendship between the four characters. To the outside world (other than in their small town), some or all of these guys would probably seem like losers: the long-time owner of a dive bar; his Firebird-racing buddy; an obese man who lives with his Mamma; and a skinny guy not much use to anyone. But in the deft weaving of author Griffin Hayes, these four evolve into something perhap
Shane
Jan 14, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes
**** (4 stars)

"Find what's making that noise, and you will find what needs to be killed." Buck Sanders isn't kidding when he utters those words to his good buddies in Griffin Hayes' novella entitled, Bird of Prey. A tight, fast-moving story, Bird of Prey is a story of ancient evil awakening in a small Alaskan town and a small squad of good ole boys doing their best to protect their homes and families. Mr. Hayes describes the setting and his characters well and the fa
Tracy Jones
Dec 05, 2011 Tracy Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Five-Star Heart-Pounding Chiller!
“Bird of Prey” is one of those horror stories that slips under your skin from the very first page. Right off you know that something is very, very wrong and every moment thereafter feels like a realistic journey into the scariest movie nightmare anyone would ever dare to dream. With plenty of terrifying, heart-pounding elements of “life or death” situations, I was on the edge of nervous anticipation, but dare not pull away in fear of not knowing how it would e
KyBunnies
The following review is my personal opinion of the book. This review is not a paid review. To form your own opinion of this book please support the author and purchase your own copy of this book. Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers.

I love a good horror or thriller book. Something that is so out there that it has to be fiction not matter what. Something that will cause goosebumps and makes the hair stand up on your arms. Something that will make you wonder as you pass by a plac
Grammar*Kitten
Jan 16, 2013 Grammar*Kitten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bird of Prey is one of Griffin Hayes’ earlier works. I didn’t have exceptionally high expectations when I started it, as quite often a writer’s first works are not his best; they are written before the writer finds their feet, as such. The writing style is often more crude and less well developed. With that in mind, Bird of Prey was a wonderful surprise.

The story was well rounded and well written, with great pacing and some great action sequences. Although it is classed within the horror genre,
Liz at Fictional Candy
So as the synopsis says, Buck goes to the abandoned steel works to steal some siding to use on his leaky roof. While there he cuts his hand pretty badly. The scent of his blood brings about this giant…bird, wait no, moth, wait…man? Who knows what it is, but it has a wingspan of like, nine feet. He barely makes it away and gets back into town.

His friend Tommy says they will go back together, along with a couple others. Allan, Tig, Tommy and Buck armor up and go after this thing. Little do they kn
Doskoi_panda
Dec 23, 2011 Doskoi_panda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Bird of Prey is a good, fun, pulp as a buddies versus monster brood story. Slightly ridiculous, occasionally Aliens style disgusting, and definitely a David versus Golaith scenario. In the process of removing some metal sheeting from an abandoned factory, a man is attacked by a strange flying creature. He recruits his buddy to return to investigate the weird birdlike attacker, and discover there is more than one of the things. Rather than report this to the authorities, as they would take foreve ...more
Nancy
Jan 14, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Buck Sanders tells his best friend something has to be killed he isn’t kidding! Taking all of his friends along, armed and potentially one hell of a car wreck waiting to happen; they mount up and go after the biggest bird Buck has ever seen. The boys have absolutely no idea of what’s waiting for them but they’re about to find out.
Tommy has always taken Buck at his word. Alaska is a state that creates good friends – folks you can
rely on – and Tommy has always believed what he’s told by his
Jessica Bronder
Jul 06, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buck has just discovered something that scared the crap out of him at the Keisel steel factory. He tells Tommy the unbelievable story. Buck was scavenging tin to repair the leaky roof. But when he is there, a strange creature attacks him. Buck is bleeding badly, but decides that he has to go back and finish the creature. He doesn’t want it to attack other humans because he woke it up.

Tommy and Buck go back to where Buck was attacked and find the creature missing. They do find another creature th
Kathleen
I enjoyed this novella, Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes. It was creepy, suspenseful, and a little bit gory (but not too much - for me, at least). He has you on the edge of your seat through at least half the story. The action only stops temporarily so that the characters can regroup, and we can hear some background. My only complaint is that I wished it was a little longer, or at least that it explained a little bit more about the creatures. I would have liked to hear more of the history of the to ...more
Nicole Roberts
Birds of Prey is an easy to read novella about some strange bird like creatures that are breeding and beginning to take over a town, by killing the citizens. These creatures are being hunted by a small hillbilly-ish group of men.
This was a good quick read. The story was very fast paced and kept everything moving smoothly. By the time I reached the end I half way wished there was more to it. There wasn’t very much in the way of back story on the creatures (that’s usually my favorite part of any
Lay Boal
Dec 29, 2011 Lay Boal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this ebook from Library Thing and I must say that I enjoyed reading it. Great story and writing. I felt the suspense as I turn the pages and I kept wondering what is going to happen next. I found the characters comical at certain parts. Overall I really liked it and I look forward to reading more of Mr. Hayes' work.

I would recommend this to readers who enjoy action, suspense, and blood.
Griffin Hayes
Apr 05, 2012 Griffin Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bird of Prey was a horror novella that I had an absolute blast writing. I didn't want it to end. An old school monster brouhaha where a motley group of men set out to kill a flying monstrosity that's poised to wipe their tiny Alaskan town off the map for good. "We're going to need help. And guns, lots of guns." I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Griffin Hayes
October 26, 2011
Lesli
Jan 07, 2012 Lesli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Very good short story. Author packed a lot of description and action into this. I like how somethings weren't specifically named but hinted at. Would not mind reading more by Griffin Hayes. My eBook copy came with the begining of Malice, another one of his books/stories. The first chapters were great and I am going to have to get the book and finish reading it.
Lynn Thompson
Oct 15, 2012 Lynn Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buck stumbles onto something horrific at the old abandoned Steel Factory and has to show Tommy. When Tommy drives them back to the factory they find something even more horrendous than what Buck had seen before. It flies, it's mean, and it reeks of stink....

Bird of Prey is a great short read, it makes you think about what really could be out there living down the street from you.
Jay Fromkin
Dec 29, 2011 Jay Fromkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspend reality and jump right in. This is a fun, fast read about long-dormant creatures living in an abandoned steel mill in Alaska and the friends who stumble upon it. Suspenseful and occasionally funny, Griffen Hayes has written an enjoyable horror-thriller.
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Nmirz Reisch
Nmirz Reisch rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2011
David Staton
David Staton rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Eliza Bell
Eliza Bell rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Dd rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Terrasha
Aug 19, 2013 Terrasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had me on the edge of my seat biting my nails!! Great thrilling read :-)
Renae McKenzie
Renae McKenzie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2011
Deb Novack
Deb Novack marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2011
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2011
Lyla
Lyla marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2012
Alondra
Alondra marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2012
Brian Deegan
Brian Deegan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2012
Tony Duckers
Tony Duckers marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Grampy
Grampy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Dawna
Dawna marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Adam Vanzant
Adam Vanzant marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Johnny Andrews
Johnny Andrews marked it as to-read
Evans Light
Evans Light marked it as to-read
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Caedy  Eries
Caedy Eries marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Angel Starr
Angel Starr marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Steven Whibley
Steven Whibley marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Winston
Winston marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
ACHTUNG!
Get the latest news on hot new releases by Griffin Hayes delivered straight to your inbox.
Frequency: Once every 3 months. Bonus: If you behave, I might just toss in a delightfully horrific short story free of charge, just for you!

Primal Shift Volume 2 (A Post Apocalyptic Thriller) by Griffin Hayes
Primal Shift Volume 2 is my newest release.

About Griffin Hayes:
Griffin Hayes spent most of his
More about Griffin Hayes...