Start by marking “Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella” as Want to Read:
Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella

Bird of Prey: A Horror Novella

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Nestled in the warm belly of the abandoned Keisel Steel Works, an ancient creature has begun to stir. A one-hundred-year cycle is drawing to a rapid close and with it the time when the beast must lead her newly hatched young to the feeding grounds.

A handful of the oldest folks in town remember that time well. A time when the sky was clotted with flapping, leathery wings an...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Trebor Books

To ask other readers questions about Bird of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird of Prey

Mallory Heart Reviews
Review of Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes
5 stars

The two aspects I liked best of this novella were the horror, and the friendship between the four characters. To the outside world (other than in their small town), some or all of these guys would probably seem like losers: the long-time owner of a dive bar; his Firebird-racing buddy; an obese man who lives with his Mamma; and a skinny guy not much use to anyone. But in the deft weaving of author Griffin Hayes, these four evolve into something perhap...more
Shane
Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes
**** (4 stars)

"Find what's making that noise, and you will find what needs to be killed." Buck Sanders isn't kidding when he utters those words to his good buddies in Griffin Hayes' novella entitled, Bird of Prey. A tight, fast-moving story, Bird of Prey is a story of ancient evil awakening in a small Alaskan town and a small squad of good ole boys doing their best to protect their homes and families. Mr. Hayes describes the setting and his characters well and the fa...more
Tracy Jones
A Five-Star Heart-Pounding Chiller!
“Bird of Prey” is one of those horror stories that slips under your skin from the very first page. Right off you know that something is very, very wrong and every moment thereafter feels like a realistic journey into the scariest movie nightmare anyone would ever dare to dream. With plenty of terrifying, heart-pounding elements of “life or death” situations, I was on the edge of nervous anticipation, but dare not pull away in fear of not knowing how it would e...more
Griffin Hayes
Apr 05, 2012 Griffin Hayes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bird of Prey was a horror novella that I had an absolute blast writing. I didn't want it to end. An old school monster brouhaha where a motley group of men set out to kill a flying monstrosity that's poised to wipe their tiny Alaskan town off the map for good. "We're going to need help. And guns, lots of guns." I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Griffin Hayes
October 26, 2011
Nancy
When Buck Sanders tells his best friend something has to be killed he isn’t kidding! Taking all of his friends along, armed and potentially one hell of a car wreck waiting to happen; they mount up and go after the biggest bird Buck has ever seen. The boys have absolutely no idea of what’s waiting for them but they’re about to find out.
Tommy has always taken Buck at his word. Alaska is a state that creates good friends – folks you can
rely on – and Tommy has always believed what he’s told by his...more
KyBunnies
The following review is my personal opinion of the book. This review is not a paid review. To form your own opinion of this book please support the author and purchase your own copy of this book. Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers.

I love a good horror or thriller book. Something that is so out there that it has to be fiction not matter what. Something that will cause goosebumps and makes the hair stand up on your arms. Something that will make you wonder as you pass by a plac...more
Jessica Bronder
Buck has just discovered something that scared the crap out of him at the Keisel steel factory. He tells Tommy the unbelievable story. Buck was scavenging tin to repair the leaky roof. But when he is there, a strange creature attacks him. Buck is bleeding badly, but decides that he has to go back and finish the creature. He doesn’t want it to attack other humans because he woke it up.

Tommy and Buck go back to where Buck was attacked and find the creature missing. They do find another creature th...more
Andrea
Bird of Prey is one of Griffin Hayes’ earlier works. I didn’t have exceptionally high expectations when I started it, as quite often a writer’s first works are not his best; they are written before the writer finds their feet, as such. The writing style is often more crude and less well developed. With that in mind, Bird of Prey was a wonderful surprise.

The story was well rounded and well written, with great pacing and some great action sequences. Although it is classed within the horror genre,...more
Liz at Fictional Candy
So as the synopsis says, Buck goes to the abandoned steel works to steal some siding to use on his leaky roof. While there he cuts his hand pretty badly. The scent of his blood brings about this giant…bird, wait no, moth, wait…man? Who knows what it is, but it has a wingspan of like, nine feet. He barely makes it away and gets back into town.

His friend Tommy says they will go back together, along with a couple others. Allan, Tig, Tommy and Buck armor up and go after this thing. Little do they kn...more
Doskoi_panda
Bird of Prey is a good, fun, pulp as a buddies versus monster brood story. Slightly ridiculous, occasionally Aliens style disgusting, and definitely a David versus Golaith scenario. In the process of removing some metal sheeting from an abandoned factory, a man is attacked by a strange flying creature. He recruits his buddy to return to investigate the weird birdlike attacker, and discover there is more than one of the things. Rather than report this to the authorities, as they would take foreve...more
Kathleen
I enjoyed this novella, Bird of Prey by Griffin Hayes. It was creepy, suspenseful, and a little bit gory (but not too much - for me, at least). He has you on the edge of your seat through at least half the story. The action only stops temporarily so that the characters can regroup, and we can hear some background. My only complaint is that I wished it was a little longer, or at least that it explained a little bit more about the creatures. I would have liked to hear more of the history of the to...more
Nicole Roberts
Birds of Prey is an easy to read novella about some strange bird like creatures that are breeding and beginning to take over a town, by killing the citizens. These creatures are being hunted by a small hillbilly-ish group of men.
This was a good quick read. The story was very fast paced and kept everything moving smoothly. By the time I reached the end I half way wished there was more to it. There wasn’t very much in the way of back story on the creatures (that’s usually my favorite part of any...more
Lay Boal
I won this ebook from Library Thing and I must say that I enjoyed reading it. Great story and writing. I felt the suspense as I turn the pages and I kept wondering what is going to happen next. I found the characters comical at certain parts. Overall I really liked it and I look forward to reading more of Mr. Hayes' work.

I would recommend this to readers who enjoy action, suspense, and blood.
Lynn Thompson
Buck stumbles onto something horrific at the old abandoned Steel Factory and has to show Tommy. When Tommy drives them back to the factory they find something even more horrendous than what Buck had seen before. It flies, it's mean, and it reeks of stink....

Bird of Prey is a great short read, it makes you think about what really could be out there living down the street from you.
Lesli
Very good short story. Author packed a lot of description and action into this. I like how somethings weren't specifically named but hinted at. Would not mind reading more by Griffin Hayes. My eBook copy came with the begining of Malice, another one of his books/stories. The first chapters were great and I am going to have to get the book and finish reading it.
Jay Fromkin
Suspend reality and jump right in. This is a fun, fast read about long-dormant creatures living in an abandoned steel mill in Alaska and the friends who stumble upon it. Suspenseful and occasionally funny, Griffen Hayes has written an enjoyable horror-thriller.
Terrasha
This story had me on the edge of my seat biting my nails!! Great thrilling read :-)
Heidy
Heidy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Shabaana
Shabaana marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Caridad cruz
Caridad cruz marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Winston
Winston marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Steven Whibley
Steven Whibley marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Angel Starr
Angel Starr marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Martha D
Martha D marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Evans Light
Evans Light marked it as to-read
Johnny Zombie-writer
Johnny Zombie-writer marked it as to-read
ACHTUNG!
Get the latest news on hot new releases by Griffin Hayes delivered straight to your inbox.
Frequency: Once every 3 months. Bonus: If you behave, I might just toss in a delightfully horrific short story free of charge, just for you!

Primal Shift  Volume 2 (A Post Apocalyptic Thriller) by Griffin Hayes
Primal Shift Volume 2 is my newest release.

About Griffin Hayes:
Griffin Hayes spent most of his...more
More about Griffin Hayes...
Hive (No Man's Land #1) Malice Dark Passage Primal Shift: Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller) The Second Coming: A Horror Short Story