Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)

Ruled (Birthmarked #2.5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,156 ratings  ·  89 reviews
The bracelet sits in his pocket, patiently waiting to be slipped around Gaia’s wrist. Leon needs to see her again. He finds out that Gaia is delivering a baby in the village, and he makes the trip to visit the sixteen-year-old midwife—only to find that the birth is not going too well. The bracelet—and what it means to the both of them—will have to wait.

This short story tak...more
Published September 19th 2012 by Tor Books

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
123rd out of 346 books — 814 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsLIGHTMASTERS by M.G. Wells
Girls Who Kick Ass
82nd out of 333 books — 320 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
2.5 stars - Hmmm... This novella was kind of weird...

First of all, it took me a while to remember which brother Peter was... And once I did, the whole scene with Peter and Leon was just odd and misplaced. I didn't get the feeling that they were pals, but it didn't really seem like they were rivals either.

It was kind of cool that we got to watch a quick scene with a childbirth, considering what Gaia does. But Adele's reaction to Leon was also a little strange, and I couldn't tell if it was becaus...more
Carina Olsen
Ruled is a short story set between Prized and Promised. It's told from Leon's point of view. And I adore Leon. I'm still upset about the second book in this series; Prized. But I did love the first one, Birthmarked. Disliked Prized because of stupid love triangles, like all books have these days. But still. Super excited for book three, which I'm starting today :) Anyway. Time for my review of Ruled :) Won't be very long, since the short story isn't that long.

I'm not sure how to feel about this...more
Sage (the Dalek)
I MUST HAVE THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I GOT IT! great ending *sigh*
Gracie
Oct 08, 2012 Gracie added it
MUST. HAVE. THIS. BOOK. PRONTO. UGH!
Camille
Marry him!
Sunny
First, if you haven't read Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) or Prized (Birthmarked, #2), you must. It is a dystopian story. The societies in these two books are twisted, but what sets these books apart is the quiet stream of emotion that weaves around the story. Gaia is not your typical kick ass heroine. She doesn't fight with her fists, but rather by the strength of her convictions that gives her purpose and makes her brave and strong. This short is book 2.5. Here we get the POV of Leon Gray after living through the drama of Promised. This story r...more
Clare Cannon
This brief interlude in between books two and three of the Birthmarked trilogy gives insight into Leon's desire to be accepted by the people of Sylum, and the continual frustration that he is not. We also see his longing to elicit Gaia's commitment to their relationship, and his efforts to be patient with her and with himself. In this brief episode nothing is achieved toward either goal, yet neither is anything lost. It does help us to understand Leon better, and gives some perspective to his se...more
Darcy
This one was sweet, I liked how Leon just wanted to be with Gaia and how Gaia took comfort in Leon while doing her midwife job.
Butterfly
2.5 maybe? I wasn't excatly expecting this but...well...I don't really know.
Lesley
Really look forward to reading the final book. Just love leon!
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Pour la seconde fois, l'auteure propose une mini nouvelle qui se déroule entre deux tomes afin de nous permettre d'entrevoir un rare aperçut des pensées et des sentiments de Leon Grey. Une fois encore, dans Bannie l'histoire étant du point de vue de Gaia, certaines choses sont gardées sous silence et elle ne comprend pas tous les sous-entendus des actions du jeune homme. Ruled est là en partie pour corriger cela.

Leon s'est endurcit, les choix de Gaia ainsi que les siens les ont éloignés l'un de...more
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
I wouldn't recommend reading TORTURED before you've read BIRTHMARKED, which is the first book in Caragh M. O'Brien's trilogy. If you haven't read BIRTHMARKED, check out my review here.

TORTURED is a novella, Book 1.5, and features a scene that takes place between BIRTHMARKED and PRIZED. O'Brien's other novella, RULED, is Book 2.5, and I personally wouldn't read it until at least halfway through the final book in the trilogy, PROMISED. I started reading it earlier and had an element spoiled that...more
Alyson
Hilarious. This "book" (one short chapter) started out with the two boys that form the love triangle with main character Gaia; and as in Twilight when they're alone without the girl they fight over COMEDY GOLD ensues. The plot didn't progress, but it was a really funny glimpse into the minds of the characters we've only seen through Gaia's eyes so far.

Having the same trouble I had at the end of Prized, when the triangle began to resolve solidly into a duo: the favored beau Leon is very intent th...more
sabisteb
Ruled ist eine Kurzgeschichte, die zwischen dem zweiten und dritten Band der Birthmarked Trilogie spielt. Auf amazon.com kann man sie als kostenloses Kindle Buch herunterladen, in Deutschland leider nicht. Aber er Verlag hat sich auf seiner Internetseite zum Nachlesen.
Die Geschichte spielt 2 Spiele bevor die Bewohner von Sylum ausziehen wollen, um eine neue Zukunft in der Enklave zu beginnen. Wirklich viel passiert in dieser Geschichte nicht. Gaia arbeitet als Hebamme und Leon liebt sie noch imm...more
*4.5*
Definitely one of the better novellas I've read. Unlike Tortured, #1.5, I felt this novella had purpose and I really enjoyed it. It shows just how strong of a woman Gaia is as we are seeing her from another's eyes. This had some emotional grab and I felt it was overall just a really well done novella.
Reena O'rourke
Another "novella" in the Birthmarked series. This one is a look into Leon's feelings for Gaia and the magic of childbirth. Just like the the 1.5 novella Tortured, this short story is from Leon's point if view. It's a great and simple look at the effort involved in being a midwife from a male point of view.
Kyle
Oct 14, 2012 Kyle rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Birthmarked/Prized
I think it's just that I've grown out of this series. :( When I read the first one back in November of '11 I absolutely loved it, but back in May when I read the second I just . . . well, I couldn't stand it really. I didn't like novella #1.5 either, and this one did nothing for me either.

I have the third one checked out from the library (I put it on hold immediately when I saw they had ordered it, since I still want to know how O'Brien ends it all, even if I don't think I'll like it), so I sor...more
Kira Budge
Apr 04, 2014 Kira Budge rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Birthmarked
A nice little side story for the trilogy.
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
This was perfect for what it is. It shows a part you know from the previous book is due to take place but didn't expect to see, the birth of the Bachsdatter baby. It is told from Leon's point which is interesting without losing anything. I easily remembered the characters, setting and storyline but it is so well written that you could read this without knowing the previous books and still enjoy it. It also manages to add a little something that may be relevant for the next book.
Briana Hargett
Again, another book from Leons' perspective. Short but makes you want to read the last book.
Jenny
I loved this little peek into Leon's mind! I have rooted for him the entire series and was a little nervous in Promised, (I wont give anything away in case you havent read it) but I did not want him to turn out "bad!". I'm glad I read book three, before this story, so I could struggle with his character, like Gaia had too, but I would still have a huge crush either way... I love a bad boy!
Kerry
It was awkward for me to read this because it took me a while to remember where this story was going and who the characters were. And I really liked the books before this, so I was surprised with how little I actually recalled. I have been awaiting Promised, and I finally have it, so hopefully it will do a better job of bringing me back up to speed.
Kye-lee
I loved this short story. Giving an insight into Leon and Gaia's relationship. This trilogy is one of my favourites. I really enjoy Caragh O'Brien's writing style and this world she has created. Her characters are realistic and naturally flawed I feel that's what makes them stronger. I can't wait to read more of O'Brien's books!!!
Kim Moyer
This book didn't really seem to "fit" with the rest of the books in the series for me. Yes it was nice to see a bit of Leon's perspective but something about the story just felt "off" to me. That said, I did still enjoy having a little taste of the storyline to tide me over until I could read book #3.
Nikki
Much too short as usual with these half books, but I always love getting the point of view from characters that aren't the main character... And Leon is my favorite character of this series, so I was pretty excited to get in his head. I'm pumped for the third book to come out in October! Yay!
Soph
Its good for what it is, a short chapter and bridge between two books. I'm hoping Promised doesn't have any stupid love squares and the Chardo's move on, and Leon and Gaia finally find a balance in their relationship! I do love Leon though, just wish he'd slow down with the whole engagement thing!
Hermione
We got an insight into Leon's mind and eye! I really loved this. Just shows how the relationship strengthens from this and their relationship in Promised. :) And of course, I'm in love with Leon, so possibly any insight from him I'd probably just devour.
Amy Vogel
i know i will love this book just as much as the rest Caragh is so amazing and witty and such a rebel! I cannot get enough of Gaia's spunk and will to make things fair and right. She is such a joy and is very real to me. Its been amazing to get to know her!
Erin
I always love getting in the heads of those that aren't the POV characters, and I especially love it when a character is as good as Leon. Can't WAIT for Promised.

**Ruled, rated ages 14+, rated 4.8/5 stars.
Lucia
A VERY short and mostly pointless bridge story between books 2 and 3. I believe it was solely an attempt to make more cash since you have to pay for it on the Kindle. Don't bother!
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Spore: The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Rebirth: An Eden Prequel (Eden, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Crow Memory (The Blood Journals, #1.5)
  • UnStrung (Unwind, #1.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #0.5)
  • Aeralis (The Frost Chronicles, #5)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • The Night Children (Escape from Furnace, #0.5)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of the BIRTHMARKED trilogy and THE VAULT OF DREAMERS, both from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, Ms. O'Brien was educated at Williams College and earned her MA from Johns Hopkins University. She recently resigned from teaching high school English in order to write young adult novels. For more information, visit http://www.caraghobrien.com.
More about Caragh M. O'Brien...
Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) Prized (Birthmarked, #2) Promised (Birthmarked, #3) Tortured (Birthmarked, #1.5) Birthmarked: Chapters 1-5

“Home was more about people than a place.” 17 likes
“Are we napping?” she asked.

“For a little,” he said.

He wasn’t napping. He concentrated every cell of his body on memorizing the weight of her against him, and the smell of her hair in the sun. His arms measured the slender curve of her torso. His fingers separated out a single strand of her hair. Her breathing slowed, easing, while his watchful heart chugged on, stupid and hungry, and the red bracelet stayed in his pocket.”
2 likes