He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)

He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Rome, 68 A.D. Novius Senna is one of the most feared men in Rome. He’s part of the emperor’s inner circle at a time when being Nero’s friend is almost as dangerous as being his enemy. Senna knows that better men than he have been sacrificed to Nero’s madness—he’s the one who tells them to fall on their swords. He hates what he’s become to keep his family safe. He hates Ner...more
Published November 12th 2012 by Riptide Publishing

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Two men whose lives are destroyed by the insane "God Complex" of the Roman Emperor, who with nothing else to lose draw strength from each other and become united in their single objective ~ to assassinate Nero... 3.5 stars

rome

I am not normally someone who is interested in Historical fiction... except for the Roman Empire! where my interest is immediately piqued, probably due to my depraved mind being interested in the excesses and unrestrained indulgence of the time... nothing at all to do with nea...more
julio
nicely done.

layered, and pretty smoothly leavened with the kind of authentic details a rome-snob like me appreciates.

i loved the Lisa Henry Special.

[[[PLOT TWIST AT THE END]]]

i didn't see this one coming either, so it was really effective. lots of OMGs and NOWAYs and EEEEEEEEE.

i like the (view spoiler), and that last line killed me, naturally.

both gruesome and beautiful, then; just like ancient rome herself.
Vivian Archer
Brutal, hard, brilliant.

Excellent piece of historical fiction. The attention to detail and facts was a beautiful blend. Richly laid out like a banquet this story tells of political intrigue in the last days of Nero's reign. The weaving of history and story--seamless.

The ancient world was not a soft place even in the most decadent of pleasure palaces. And this was highly entertaining and while I kept guessing where it would end, I was wrong.

BTW. This totally revved my inner Roman geek
Leanne
I’ve spent an afternoon completely swept up in Lisa Henry’s vivid imagery -the sights and smells of Rome so real… and desperate for the two MC’s to find a way out of that oppressive city. The feeling of claustrophobia and impending doom is relentless. I recently heard a quote by Hitchcock that hits the nail on the head..…”There is no terror in the explosion, only the anticipation of it.”
Part of me wishes it were longer with more of the romance between Senna and Aenor but this is not that kind o...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Alea iacta est is one of the phrases most meaningful in this book. The die is cast. What does this mean? For slave Aenor renamed as Canis, it is the motivation for him to withstand horrible torture. For Patrician Novius Senna, it stands for a release and freedom he yearns to feel again.

Set during the Roman Empire, this story makes a reader question what really did happen during Nero's reign. My memory of Roman history is sketchy. I do remember Nero portrayed as a tyrannical emperor. I don't rec...more
Simsala
Short, boring slave fic.
As historical fiction it was a total failure. Using Roman names didn`t make a vivid historical setting.
Made me itch to re-read Colleen McCullough...
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Lisa Henry is a fave author of mine for her wonderful settings and gritty characters. There is always a plot as well - and I never find the sex gratuitous although it is often raw, elemental, and rough. I'll admit to being a bit confused in the beginning with all the names but it did force me into the headspace. The language barrier faced by the two MC's actually helped me to keep a perspective on it - oddly it interjected some realism into the story. I'm a fan of Ancient Rome stories like this...more
Gloria (censored by Goodreads)
Sounds interesting, although I have a minor problem with the blurb. Nero was executed by soldiers by order of the Senate. There were emperors who were assassinated by slaves (Domitian comes to mind, he was killed by his daughter's tutor, but I guess this plot wouldn't work with him because while he was a paranoid autocrat, he wasn't a sadistic hedonist) but Nero wasn't one of them. I have to put this out there or it's going to bug the hell out of me.

Edit: Finally read it! Wow, reading two great...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
He is Worthy, Lisa Henry’s novel in the Warriors of Rome series is gripping and edgy. Set in 68 A.D. Rome, the tale illustrates life under one of Rome’s most feared and disturbing men, Nero. Senna, Nero’s friend and henchman lives a dangerous life as the deliverer of Nero’s madness. Aenor is a newly captive Bructeri, enslaved by Nero for his demented pleasure.

Turmoil surrounds the time period as Nero grows more insane, brutalizing his friends and enemies alike. Torturing slaves; raping and pilla...more
Rosemary O'Malley
Thanks to the fabulous Pjm12, I realized I'd not put in my review for this one!

This is a historical piece set in the heyday of Nero's rule of the Roman Empire. That means one should expect sex, violence, madness and betrayal. He Is Worthy delivers these with relish. What I didn't expect was the gripping and emotional story threaded throughout. The hook at the start is perfect, the follow through exquisitely painful. You feel for these two, the slave and the free man, trying to end the senseless...more
Barks & Bites
3 1/2

These Warriors of Rome books published by Riptide are not for the faint of heart. The first in the series is The Left Hand of Calvus and though it was brutal it wasn’t sexually explicit so I was a little taken by surprise at the sexual torment that takes place in this one. If you haven’t read the first book and are interested in this one, no worries, these two are only connected by the ancient Rome setting.

I need to say something before I begin here because I know this sort of thing is a t...more
Cryselle
I don’t often read slave-fic, the power imbalances bother me. I do however, read historicals, the more accurate the better. I took a chance on the slave aspect here in order to reach first century Rome through Lisa Henry’s words, and I am very glad I did.

The blurb hints that the need to assassinate Nero and get Rome out from under his pustulent thumb is foremost, and it is. Senna’s function is to tell prominent men that they no longer enjoy the favor of the emperor, a code universally understood...more
kasjo_peja
It was a good story. One that grabbed my interest from the first page and kept me glued to my Kindle for the next two hours.

The action takes place in Rome, at the times of Nero ruling, and there is enough of historical references to make the world real (I wouldn't call it simply a slave fic).
Novius Senna is one of Nero closest confidants, but far enough from the court to see that Roman empire is drowning in Nero's madness. I liked Senna's flashbacks of the past that showed many of the future pr...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
Feb 05, 2013 Nichole (Dirty H) marked it as abandoned
Turns out this book really isn't for me. I don't really like historical fiction, and I guess I went into this thinking it was going to be more like Henry's book Tribute but it's not really that kind of book - although there is some on-page stuff that might make the more squeamish of you a little uncomfortable. But that's not really what this book is about, it's really just historical fiction which is not my thing usually. I've had an impossible time getting interested in it. When I realized I ha...more
Kazza
I did not identify with the two main characters. They were two dimensional - I kept forgetting the name of one of the MC's, even as I read, and I did not like the other, at all. The book is well edited and the history well researched, but that is where the positive ended for me.

To see my review of He Is Worthy it can be found in depth at On Top Down Under Book Reviews
**Please be warned it contains spoilers**
Sue
I'm really enjoying the Warriors of Rome set. This one works very well; the setting and history have been so well done I didn't feel any disbelief as I read it.
There's a gripping plot and two very believable, very male main characters. Yum!
If you like authentic historical novels, especially ancient history, you'll love this one. :)
Coenraad
Short and sharp Roman political drama about a trusted right hand man of Nero's who decides he wants to rid Rome of the madness. Not your thing if you dislike gay action or brutal torture. Or happy endings. Oops, spoiler alert! Not really. Should it have been longer and a more trenchant analysis of Nero's reign? Nah, it's fine as a brief historical fantasy and a love story with unexpected twists and turns.

'n Kort spanningsverhaal omtrent 'n belangrike figuur in Nero se magsgroep wat besluit om Ro...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
A good one! Finally! I am relieved - it wasn't me, in the end, but the books.

Because this one was gooooood.

Good writing, solid as gold. I noticed it immediately and thus enjoyed a good hour with this story.

It was well researched (thank you, thank you, thank you - I majored in Latin and Roman history in Junior College - the German equivalent of it). The story was dark and gritty, the characters were well drawn.

For a novella it had surprising depth.

It was very violent, a bit overdrawn for me, and...more
Nick Pageant
Okay, first, I love historical books, especially books about Rome. I think one of my stars is just for the author doing the work of making me believe I'm in a long ago place. Lisa Henry definitely does that.
The other three stars are for a fast-moving (eventually) plot and a sense of suspense. I thought there was a little too much background given before the story proper begins, but once things get going - they go.
The sex in the book was a little disturbing to me, but since it was supposed to be...more
Jody
Since I became obsessed with the TV show Spartacus I've been on the lookout for books featuring gladiators/Roman life and immediately became drawn to He Is Worthy. There's a lot happening in the shortened length of this book and I became thoroughly immersed in this world and the outcome of its appealing characters.
Novius Senna has grown tired of doing dirty deeds at Nero's request and has luckily stumbled across the one man who can help him end Nero's nightmarish deeds. Aenor's life took a bruta...more
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4 Stars

Novius Senna, Nero’s trusted friend, is imparted with the duty of advising those who have fallen foul of the emperor’s favor that they must take their own lives. Aenor, an enslaved Bructeri trader, is used as a source of cruel and humiliating sexual enjoyment for Nero and his cohorts.

In a bid to find peace with himself and at the same time rid Rome of its’ tyrant Emperor, Senna devises a plot to assassinate Nero and sees a potential ally in the brutalised slave, Aenor. The depth of the sl...more
E luvs Dan, Qhuinn, Tate, Po, Rule & Lucas
Oh what a story and what quality of writing ! It invoked nine kinds of emotions out of this walking dead :)

Lisa Henry is a must buy for me; waiting for King of Dublin
Florebunda
A patrician and a slave plot to end Nero's reign of terror and develop a strong bond. A short novel/long novella, the writing paints vivid pictures in the mind and has you caring deeply for the characters. I have one niggle (see spoiler below) but regardless this is an excellent read.

(view spoiler)...more
Heidi Belleau
I thoroughly enjoyed what there was of this book, but I can't help but wish there was more. I'm not one of those people who complains about short stories automatically, but with this it felt like several scenes were glossed over rather than rung out for the story's full potential. The suspense in the scenes left to breathe was absolutely wonderful and gripping and I wanted more of that.

But for what it is, it's a great story, violent and unflinching and well-characterized. Fans of Lisa Henry wil...more
Amber
I adore Lisa Henry's voice. Her writing is always quite strong, though maybe less so here. The worldbuilding is fantastic, though due to the length, the romance takes a backseat. I found both characters interesting but didn't necessarily believe they belonged together beyond the sex. This was more like erotic historical fiction.
Timeforme
I don't really remember Roman history well enough to know the accuracy of this book but realistic or not, it is the same well written and taut plot that was displayed in each of the prior Lisa Henry books. Although the book is often gritty and can be painful to read, I highly recommend reading this novella.
Lisa Henry
Dec 05, 2012 Lisa Henry added it  ·  (Review from the author)
** Review by the author **

So, I'm not actually going to review a book I wrote. Seems kind of pointless, right?
If you read it, I hope you like it.

But if you want to ask me anything about He Is Worthy, here's the place to do it.

Josie Goodreads
I loved this book. It was gritty and dark but I read hope in all the pages, I was glued to it and couldn't put it down. My first Lisa Henry book but it won't be my last.
Jessie B.
This book wasn't what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it because I found the characters really pulled me into the story.
Aleksandr Voinov
Aaaah, Ancient Rome, Nero the "artist".
  • The Left Hand of Calvus (Warriors of Rome, #1)
  • Mark of the Gladiator (Warriors of Rome, #4)
  • Blessed Isle
  • The Laird's Forbidden Lover
  • First Watch
  • Fragile Bond
  • The Flesh Cartel #2: Auction
  • Fearless (Irresistible Attraction, #3)
  • Portside
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Unhinge the Universe
  • Foreshock
  • Peek-a-Boo (Josh of the Damned, #2)
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.
More about Lisa Henry...
The Island The Good Boy (Boy, #1) Dark Space (Dark Space, #1) Tribute When All the World Sleeps