Start by marking “The Little Green God of Agony” as Want to Read:
The Little Green God of Agony

The Little Green God of Agony

Stephen King’s short story, the opener of Stephen Jones's 2011 anthology, A Book of Horrors, and included in Ellen Datlow’s The Best Horror of the Year, Volume Four, tells from the point of view of his doubting nurse the tale of a paraplegic millionaire who wants to exorcise his pain. Adapted by well-known comic artist Dennis Calero (co-creator of Xmen Noir and Devil ...more
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Green God of Agony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Green God of Agony

Trudi
Sep 26, 2013 Trudi rated it really liked it

I usually like to end my year (or start) with Stephen King, so I decided upon this feisty freebie available online here. I first read this back in October as a short story included in the Stephen Jones anthology A Book of Horrors. I enjoyed it then very much, but I really dig it as a graphic novel.

I love the coloring used - almost a sickly underwater green, black and bruised shades of blue - and I love the facial expressions. I'm not a graphic artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I fou
Kit★
Just read this little graphic adaptation today. It was interesting, I enjoyed it. Though I kinda wish it would've been longer or something. I didn't know that there was an actual story that it was adapted from until after I read the comic. I'd really like to read the short story, maybe it'll enhance my understanding/enjoyment. Loved that it was free though, and I'd for sure like to see more graphic adaptations of his stories.
Elizabeth Moffat
Oct 06, 2013 Elizabeth Moffat rated it really liked it
As regular readers of my blog will know, I am a huge Stephen King fan and jumped at the chance to include this short story by him, which has not been published in any of his other collections. As usual, for me, King does not disappoint. The story opens with a man who is lying in bed in a great deal of pain and talking about the accident that left him in this manner to an as yet unnamed gentleman. Meanwhile his therapist Kat is trying to relieve his pain by a number of different methods. Kat is ...more
Mary Seelye
Nov 28, 2016 Mary Seelye rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. It started well and ended even better. A great addition to the series and an enticing cliff hanger that pops up at the very end.
Brad Cundiff
Aug 03, 2013 Brad Cundiff rated it really liked it
This is a fun freebie from Stephen King that will bring enjoyment to any Stephen King fan. As others have said, King is a master at quickly developing characters. In a few short panes, King establishes character backgrounds and lays the groundwork for the friction between characters to come. Mind you, this story is 24 panes long. Remarkably, King's writing makes the story feel much longer.

The artwork is good, but not the best I've seen. I did like the colors and tones that reinforce the stormy n
Amy
Dec 27, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Just found out about this today (I need to be more up on what's going on around me, sheesh) so decided when better to read a new-to-me King than IMMEDIATELY?

I liked it, but had to rate it low for the ending. I don't know if he meant to come back and add more, or if it was meant to end the way it did - but the ending was almost irresponsibly bad. Not in a cliffhangery way, either, but in a head-scratchy way...and not the kind where it's going to come to you in a few days what happened. It was ver
Chris
Jan 05, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Not a bad story. I am always up for a King read or a good comic and this fits both categories. This is very short but did make me interested in reading the actual story this is based off of. I like others wish it was longer, this could have been developed so much more and the story could have really had some intense suspense to it. Instead the ending was a bit rushed and let me unsatisfied.

The art work is only ok on this one, I have seen better, but it does help convey the tone of the story. Si
Ana
Well, this was fast and not at all furious. Cute comic, nicely drawn (though I've seen Japanese people do them better, way better) and the story itself is short enough to read in about 15 minutes. Again, Stephen King has a way with making you understand characters and the shorter the story, the more you can love or hate a character in his books, as he portrays them from the first 5-6 pages.
Benjamin Stahl
Feb 14, 2016 Benjamin Stahl rated it liked it
In relation to this book's average standard, I suppose this one was pretty fun. It sets up and then plays with the reader's sympathy for certain characters very well. The ending was pretty classic Stephen King, in that it was gross and silly, but still kind of scary. I also liked the very last line.
Penny Ramirez
Jun 06, 2013 Penny Ramirez rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, ebook
Rather an abrupt ending, but when isn't a King short story abrupt? Nice buildup, good artwork - but I have to admit, I didn't realize I'd finished it until I went back to the beginning and started over again.

Perhaps they plan more for the future - I read all 24 episodes.
Tyler
Apr 16, 2016 Tyler rated it it was amazing
The beginning I found to be a little slow, tedious, and almost boring, but then it sucked me in and boy was it a ride. This brought back images of SK's Revival that I really enjoyed as well. I loved the nurse, and her journey to humility. Very nice!
Mindi Geouge
Jan 31, 2015 Mindi Geouge rated it really liked it
Shelves: stephen-king
I thoroughly enjoyed this story about the nature of pain. It certainly made me rethink my position on people I assumed were faking pain for medication and attention. I found it interesting and very well written.
Lance Lasalle
Aug 07, 2016 Lance Lasalle rated it liked it
A short horror story -- not really scary, though -- that Stephen King assures us is not autobiographical in the forward. There's some real meat to be found in the nurse's unconscious callousness. Otherwise, it's an entertaining bit of fluff.
Stuart Slingsby
Dec 31, 2015 Stuart Slingsby rated it really liked it
This was a strange story about a billionaire that has pain constantly and the nurses think he is faking it. Then something happens and you will need to read the story to find out. I found the story lacking in horror and didn't enjoy it as much as his other stories.
Erin Schable
Jan 17, 2016 Erin Schable rated it really liked it
What color is your pain?" Unfortunately I can answer that, it's usually red, but sometimes it's white.
Theresa Sivelle
Nov 22, 2014 Theresa Sivelle rated it really liked it
An interesting comic book type story. Not sure about the ending though. Think I might have to try and find the book that this adaptation came from.
James
James rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2015
Pierre-alexandre
Pierre-alexandre rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Daniel Flores
Daniel Flores rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Ghoji Blackburn
Ghoji Blackburn rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Maxi.
Maxi. rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Ryann
Ryann rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Marna
Marna rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Felipe Lopes
Felipe Lopes rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Leeann Gudzinowicz
Leeann Gudzinowicz rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Tanja
Tanja rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Gretchen Parker
Gretchen Parker rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2012
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2016
  • R.I.P.D. Volume 1
  • Spread, Vol. 1: No Hope
  • Parasyte, Volume 4
  • The Innocent
  • Best New Horror 20 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #20)
  • Nailbiter, Volume Three: Blood in the Water (Nailbiter, #3)
  • Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown (Edward Scissorhands, #1)
  • Night Visions 5
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Harbinger Wars
  • The Shibboleth (Incarcerado, #2)
  • The EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt, Vol. 2
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
More about Stephen King...