Start by marking “My Sister's Voice” as Want to Read:
My Sister's Voice

My Sister's Voice

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,165 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Every love leaves an echo. . .What do you do when you discover your whole life was a lie? In Mary Carter's unforgettable new novel, one woman is about to find out...

At twenty-eight, Lacey Gears is exactly where she wants to be. An up-and-coming, proudly Deaf artist in Philadelphia, she's in a relationship with a wonderful man and rarely thinks about her difficult childhood
Published May 29th 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister's Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister's Voice

Diane
Jul 18, 2010 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted very much to like this book. It had the potential to be a very moving story about family and personal identity. However, it read more like an early draft than a polished final product. While I learned a lot of interesting facts about Deaf Culture, I feel Carter did this too often through exposition instead of letting the reader learn from the actions and dialogue of the characters. The flow of the story was constantly interrupted while the author took the time to explain why or how the ...more
Leanne
Mar 24, 2015 Leanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leanne by: "new" bookshelf at library
Shelves: challenging-life
This book started out strong. I liked the characters; I was fascinated by the glimpse into the deaf world. But then the story just got strained and down-right weird. Many of the interesting mysteries in the story were explained away with unsatisfactory and unbelievable answers. I'm disappointed because I like Carter's writing style, and the title of the book is brilliant. I keep wishing that this was the rough draft and Carter could re-write the ending!
Mary Grand
May 04, 2016 Mary Grand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very interesting book, well written and an insight into some of the issues important to Deaf people.
Tara Chevrestt
I have really enjoyed this novel. It made me laugh a couple times and it also made me sad at others. I love the heroine, Lacey. She's deaf, rides a motorcycle, has a puggle and a major attitude. She's very likable. When trying to read people's lips, she would sometimes run down a multiple choice in her head like this: He either called her a: a cyclone b: a silo or c: a psycho. I LOVED this feature cause really, that is what it is like, reading people's lips. It's half a guessing game.

The author
Jenny
Jun 12, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Taken from my blog at www.takemeawayreading.com. Also posted at www.luxuryreading.com

My Sister's Voice tells the story of twin sisters, Lacey and Monica, separated early in childhood and raised as though the other doesn't exist. Lacey grows up in a children's home with a strict house mother while Monica grows up with her parents and has a wealthy lifestyle. Lacey is also deaf and Monica is hearing. The book starts when they are 28-years-old and Lacey receives an anonymous letter in the mail tell
Yvonne (Fiction Books)
‘What do you do when you discover your whole life was a lie?’

Mary Carter has placed the reader right at the heart of an intense, cleverly crafted, moving and emotional storyline, replete with plenty of twists and turns.

She has created believable, well developed, inspiring characters, who absorb you into their lives, with their complex personal challenges, that made me smile and feel a little sad, both at the same time.

I asked myself how I would feel and react, if I found out that my life as I be
Mar 18, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-adult, fiction
This book started off strong, with a interesting premise - twin sisters separated at birth, seemingly because one is hearing and the other is Deaf. As 20-somethings they learn of each other's existence and the story is off and running - and then it's meandering - and then it's wandering aimlessly for a while...

It felt like this author wanted to do too many things and just couldn't keep it together. She wanted a mystery story; she wanted to share Deaf culture; she wanted to write a quasi-romance,
Sam
Oct 10, 2012 Sam rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
A good premise with an astonishingly bad follow through. I'm usually able to suspend disbelief for a good story, but this tortured tale was just ridiculous.
Lorraine
Jan 01, 2011 Lorraine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: soap opera fans/no one
Shelves: american, deaf, zz2011
Haha, I think the cover spoof on My Sister's Keeper is funny! But that was all I liked about this book. Twins, separated at 3yrs old, find each other as adults. One twin is Deaf, the other hearing.

So many problems with this story/writing.
1) POV: first several chapters are Deaf twin's 3rd person persp. Then it shifts to the other twin. Randomly there are chapters from the mother's perspective when the twins are 2, then one or two objective 3rd person when the twins are 3. The changing POV ruins t
Michelle Robinson
This begins with an interesting premise but it just completely jumps into a far fetched, unrealistic turn of events.

I wish she had been committed to making the book filled with more believable circumstances.

When they sneak a woman, who had JUST attempted to commit suicide out of the hospital the last of my patience was gone. No thinking person would do that.

I don't know, I read it from start to finish, it wasn't the worst thing I ever read but it requires to suspend belief past a bearable poin
Brittany
Mar 31, 2015 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehhhh, this book was not my favorite. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't feel like anything special to me. I have my degree in ASL Interpreting and found the way the author taught readers about deaf culture to be forced and a little over the top. I would have enjoyed it more if the deaf culture information had been something to be inferred by the reader, rather than outright stated. I also wasn't a fan of the way the book ended, I found myself reading and all of the sudden I was very confused. I ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book started out a bit slow but by the fourth chapter (short chapters) I was hooked. I started reading it late last night and finished it this afternoon.

I really enjoyed the storyline and the little bit of education it offered about the deaf community. There were a few interesting twists and turns as well as the story went along.
During the first half of the book I would sometimes roll my eyes at the writing and the overuse, I would say, of similes and metaphors. They were a bit much and go
Sk8rzmama
Nov 02, 2010 Sk8rzmama rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has the most preposterous story line ever! I can't believe I wasted my time reading this book. When the big climax comes, it last all of about 5 pages with the most ridiculous explanation. Save your self the time and energy and read something else!!
Heather
Sep 12, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
Not very good...author was all over the place with various story lines which seemed really unrealistic.
Lacey and Monica are two women living separate lives, in separate cities. Lacey is profoundly deaf; Monica is hearing. One day, Lacey receives a letter in the mail that changes her entire life - she has an identical twin sister - Monica. The premise of the book really drew me in. What if you got an anonymous note telling you that you have a twin sister? What if you are Deaf and you find out that this twin sister is hearing? How would you feel? What would you do?

Lacey Gears is a 28 year old portr
Chana
Dec 24, 2013 Chana rated it liked it
Unlikely, out-there, a demented soap opera. It is all over the place and ..... not normal!
It reads quickly and kept my interest but I had no idea what would happen next as the characters seem to have emotional ADHD. They don't stay in character if you can even get a grasp on their particular character traits in the first place. Weird stuff is always happening and nothing really makes sense. The only consistent thing going on here is Lacey's deafness and the deaf community which makes me think th
Karen Wyle
Jul 27, 2013 Karen Wyle rated it really liked it
Stephen King has likened writing a novel to uncovering a fossil, and my own experience as an author has led me to agree. But what if some key portion of the skeleton eludes detection?

One of my books began with a troubling family mystery. I don't plot my books in advance, discovering them as I go -- but as I delved deeper into the characters and their relationships, and explored my setting, I started to panic somewhat. I still didn't know why the crucial event in this family's history had occurre
Kristina
May 29, 2010 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a touching story of family and the bonds in life that are broken and made in the course of years. It was sad and happy, and made many emotions go through the reader (me) all at one time. I connected with Lacey's character not because she was deaf but because she was deprived of knowing her family. While I know that millions of people don't get to know their fathers , mothers, brothers, or sisters, I came up with a personal connection to her character because of that loss and anger she f ...more
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
May 27, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Pump Up Your Book
Mary Carter did a wonderful job with this book. She created a story that truly hit home with me. It did that, not because I'm deaf-I'm not, but because my "surrogate" little sister was deaf from birth and I felt protective of her when she was left out or made fun of because of her impairment and speaking with her hands.

I really felt my heart going out to Lacy. She was a brave young woman in this story who was extremely independent and just wanted to be treated as an equal, not someone to be pit
Nina
Feb 10, 2012 Nina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Vonda
Sep 01, 2015 Vonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, but this book read like it was written by 2 people. The beginning and the end were like reading a soap opera, but most of the middle was very readable and interesting, but maybe that's because I always thought I was a twin when I was a kid, and so have always had an interest in twins. I tend to look for common sense in the decisions I make in life, and these parents just did not make any sense of their actions, common or otherwise. So... if you're looking for a soap opera, about twins, th ...more
Penny
Nov 12, 2010 Penny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish that I didn't waste my time reading this one. I thought that at the beginning of the book and should have put it down then. I hate to do that though. This book was just so trite. The end just wrapped it up in a neat package. Nothing was a surprise to me though.
Vivianne
Feb 14, 2015 Vivianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful reading experience.

This was my first novel by Mary Carter. This was a such a awesome book. So many secrets, but the love was there the entire time, it just had to be cultivated. Fantastic book. I am a true fan.
Anna Crenshaw
Nov 12, 2013 Anna Crenshaw rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me because I work as a deaf educator and because I am a twin. A story about a strong Deaf adult finding out she has a hearing twin: perfect fit.
Louise
Jul 20, 2013 Louise added it
Enjoyed this book and the accuracy of the author's portrayal of the Deaf Community. If you have any connection to the deaf, I believe that you will enjoy this book.
Ian Wood
Jun 21, 2015 Ian Wood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Suzanne Fernald
Erin
Dec 06, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review from:
www.theultimatebooknook.blogspot.com

"You have a sister. A twin to be exact." These words changed Lacey's life.

Lacey and Monica are identical twins. Lacey is deaf while Monica is not. They were separated by their parents at a very young age. Lacey was raised in a home for disabled children while Monica was raised by their parents. When they are 28 years old, Lacey receives an anonymous note in her mailbox and after that all the mysteries start to unravel. Who is this twin sister? Why
Zoe
Sep 19, 2016 Zoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be nothing short of terrible, unfortunately.
The plot was interesting - Twin sisters knowing nothing about one another - one is deaf, one is not. Sounded promising but was executed badly. I didn't enjoy anything about this. Not only was this clumsy writing and dull, every single character was extremely unlikeable. I'm so glad this is over. I'm sorry to say.
Rene
Jul 22, 2011 Rene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea behind the plot of this book is intriguing. Identical twins seperated at a young age, one raised in a normal weatlhy family setting while the other (who is deaf) is sent to an orphanage. Years later, in their twenties they discover each other and unravel the truth about their childhood and the years in beween. Being an identical twin myself I could relate to a lot of the dynamics of these sister's experiences. What I was not familiar with was the whole Deaf culture that obviously exists ...more
  • One September Morning
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
  • Long Time Coming
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Song of Renewal
  • Raphaela's Gift
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Coombe's Wood
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • Reclaiming Lily
262081
More about Mary Carter...