Start by marking “It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel” as Want to Read:

It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel
Published July 31st 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It's Hard to Be Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Hard to Be Five

midnightfaerie
Sep 02, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of my 5 yr old's favorite books of all time. I can't tell you how many times he's read this on his own and asked us to read it. To have a book written about his age group exclusively is novel to him and he adores it. Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job with this and it's nice to see that actors and actresses have other endeavors and talents as well. The pictures were cute, and my preschoolers even loved to follow along with the story. A great addition to any children's library.
Deana
This book was... very busy. I guess that's appropriate because it's about five year olds. The words were written in a font that I didn't find easy to read, and there were many distractions on all of the pages except the one that said "SIT STILL". Also, the kid spends the first part of the book describing how hard it is to be five and then randomly switches sentiments half-way through and talks about how great it is to be five. And while many examples are given for both beliefs, some of which are ...more
Stephanie Metcalf
Oct 11, 2016 Stephanie Metcalf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Do we really remember what it's like to be 5? We ask students to do so many things and never think about how they may feel about them. This story takes us through the emotions and feelings that a little boy feels about being 5. We see his feelings at school, at home, with his sibling and with his classmates. I think this Realistic Fiction book would be a great book to read at the beginning of a school year with my Kindergartners. We could talk about how they feel and how they can deal with those ...more
midnightfaerie
Sep 02, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Julia
Dec 03, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Looking back, it really isn't all that easy being a kid. I mean, as an adult, I have more responsibilities and the worries that come with them, but even kids struggle with difficult things. I think we forget that sometimes, and that creates a divide between adults and children. If you can't empathize with their issues, how can you relate to a child and help them grow? This book is really great for helping adults remember the issues that they once faced. It also helps the child think of better wa ...more
Elaine
May 19, 2016 Elaine rated it it was ok
Just not my cup of tea. I think it's also a little advanced for a five year old to totally appreciate.
Ashlin
Jan 19, 2017 Ashlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, childrens
Of course it's hard to be five! If you're not five, you might think it's easy, but believe me it's not. This is a cute book I'm thinking of getting for the five-year-old in my life. Just because you're five doesn't mean you're grown, but it might mean you have a little more freedom than you did. Sometimes growing up isn't all that bad.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
This book tells it like it is. Sitting still is so hard for many children. New things are scary. And they don't understand all the reasons for doing or not doing things. I think sometimes we all just need to know our fears and feelings are normal. This book is great at showing many of the normalities of early childhood.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 21, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 7/16/10 -

We've all heard the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". I learned not to judge a book by it's author with this one. Meaning, the only books written by celebrities that I read are by accident. Julia and I pick out books by title and cover and story, without looking at the author. And so I end up with a celeb written book on occasion.
I forget the title of the other Jamie Lee Curtis book we read and that's because it wasn't memorable in the least. I was so unim
Jessica
It's hard not to love this book! This is such a wonderful book to read in Kindergarten! Some children get very over-whelmed when first starting school and this book is one that they can really relate to! The beautiful, and colorful illustrations are hilarious, and engaging. The rhyming words, enlarged words, small words, and sometimes oddly shaped words keep children on their toes! All in all this book gets a big thumbs up, and a five star rating to match its five star style!

Learning Extension:
F
Lori Reed
Jan 30, 2013 Lori Reed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: This is a great birthday gift for a 5 year old
My son received this as a gift for his fifth birthday and now we are reading it a few years later to his little sister. They love this book! We love this book! The story is about the challenges and joys of being five. Going to school, sitting still, playing, getting dirty, making a mess...and most of all knowing that it's ok to be five! It's ok to be a kid. As another reviewer said, this book is great for parents as well, as it reminds us of what it is like to be a kid.

The illustrations are brig
Stephanie Skolmoski
Anyone having a 5-year-old child be it a grandparent, teacher, neighbor, librarian, anyone at all will love this book! It's Hard to Be Five, by Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell, captures the challenges a 5-year-old faces. It's difficult to learn how to control your body, your mouth, not to mention your mind. As adults it's daunting to watch a child gain control of themselves, including their actions and we watch with patience and self-control -- difficult as it may be. And what's worse is if t ...more
Lyn
Jul 16, 2013 Lyn rated it it was amazing
A Classic Little Boy Book!
For our family this has become a traditional gift for your 5th birthday. It is the absolute best way to help little boys understand what is happening in their world. The book talks about getting ready to start school; however, the story fits for homeschoolers as well. The book lends itself to many discussions and answers a lot of “what if” questions. This is a perfect gift or book to keep in your school or home library!

Ayana Mishelle
I love Jami Lee Curtis Books !!1 This one actually can be read to any age. Listen to this " It's hard to be five. Just yelled at my brother. My mind says do one thing. My mouth says another. " This is a book about self-control. It also talks about the joy of being 5. This book comes highly reccommended for just about all ages. Text to - self, students can talk about classroom rules, and be truly inspired.
Neil Nicholson
I originally picked up this book to read to my 5year old. Its not only a good book for prek and kindergarteners, but for parents as well. It gives insight to behavior and attitudes that students have at this age. This would be a great read aloud. I'm sure students would be able to relate in more ways than one.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
This is a very cute book to read to kindergarteners or other young children. Sometimes things can be overwhelming for young children. They can really relate to this book because it talks about how life is changing, but shows them that it is still fun. The different writing throughout the book is also fun for kids.
Anna Davis
Sep 03, 2012 Anna Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was so darn cute. Early readers would love this, I think. The pictures were very funny and colorful and the rest was just plain clever. It would be a good read for someone entering school for the first time who is afraid. It is all about a boy who is changing and having a hard time adjusting.
Suebee
Sep 13, 2008 Suebee rated it liked it
The endpapers of the book show a five year old's "control panel" - red and smoking at the beginning; running smoothly at the end. Details how "it's hard to be five," from washing your face to going to school. By the end - "It's hard fun to be five." (Hard fun?) Illustrations are really very busy, might be distracting for younger readers, but fun for older kids to pick out all the details.
Kate
May 10, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an awesome way to help five year olds understand that it is hard being 5. I like that it takes you through the ups and downs of being five and sometimes it is ok to have a rough day, especially since its hard being five. I would use this in my classroom to talk about learning self control and ways to cope with it.
May 12, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
One of the lines in this book actually made me laugh out loud. I thought this was a fun tale, if not amusing at points. The pictures were outrageously detailed, I had a hard time tearing myself away from the illustrations to read the words on the page. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: growing-up, humor
Asher had just turned five when we read this book. It's a fun story of a little boy celebrating (and occasionally struggling with) being five. He's big now so he knows a whole lot, but he's also experiencing a lot of new things - like kindergarten.

Quirky, fun illustrations.
Christie Suh
Mar 24, 2010 Christie Suh rated it really liked it
Very good book for the first day of school in Kindergarten. About a boy who doesn't like being five because he thinks he's not young any more and has to go to school. He realizes that being five is a good thing and becomes proud of the things he can do.
Natalie
Nov 24, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: feelings, transitions
Five-year-olds definitely exist in a liminal state. You're no longer a baby, but you can't quite tie your shoes yet. This title is there to reassure those going through the transition to being a big kid.
Laura Pharis
I think this a great book that kids can easily relate to. I think teachers and parents can gain insight from this book as well. There are so many changes going on in the life and mind of a child, and sometimes it is hard to be five, six, or even seven.
Shannon
Feb 11, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
Jamie Lee Curtis has done many things with the topic of self-esteem, including writing children's books! This book talks about the difficulties of being five. Many of them even deal with beginning school and having to share, take turns, etc. It is very good at actually portraying real life too!
Kelly
Dec 31, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved it!! I like reading this book so I read it to my nieces and nephews before and after they turn 5. Love the illustrations and the text completely pulls out the mindset of a 5 year old (sitting, sitting...still sitting) or a 35 year old, HA!
Christy
Feb 13, 2010 Christy rated it really liked it
This is a great book to be read to Pre-K and kindergarten classes. It is written cleverly and students can relate to the way that the boy in the book says that his mind says one thing and his mouth says another. Everyone can relate to the issues on self control in this book. Great illustrations!
Kaycee Greenwood
Sep 22, 2014 Kaycee Greenwood rated it it was amazing
It is defiantly hard to be 5 if you have never been 5 before. There are some many new things happening in your life and this book talks about all of them. It is written from a 5 year old's persecutive and looks like it too. Very fun book that would help 5 year old deal with this turning point age.
Hope Johnson
Apr 06, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. Too cute, it teaches kids that it is okay to grow up and it can be fun! The more you learn the more you have control over yourself. It may be scary to start school or not how how to express yourself but you will get the hang of it and you will love it.
Amanda
May 09, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that I read to my children before and after they were 5. Good reminders for adults too :) We've read it so often the book's spine had to be reinforced with tape. Must have. Must read. Must keep.
  • Yay, You!: Moving Up and Moving On
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Please, Baby, Please
  • I'm Not Scared!
  • Crazy Hair Day (Junior Library Guild Selection)
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • Ten Little Fish
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • Kiss Good Night
  • I'm a Manatee
  • The Way I Act
  • Dirt on My Shirt
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
Jamie Lee Curtis is a two-time Golden Globe-winning, BAFTA-winning, and Emmy-nominated American film actress and an author of children's books. Although she was initially known as a "scream queen" because of her starring roles in many horror films early in her career such as Halloween (1978 film), The Fog, Prom Night (1980 film) and Terror Train, Curtis has since compiled a body of work that cover ...more
More about Jamie Lee Curtis...