Start by marking “It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel” as Want to Read:
It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel

It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  64 reviews
It's hard to be five.
Just yelled at my brother.
My mind says do one thing.
My mouth says another.

It's fun to be five!
Big changes are here!
My body's my car,
and I'm licensed to steer.

Learning not to hit? Having to wait your turn? Sitting still? It's definitely hard to be five. But Jamie Lee Curtis's encouraging text and Laura Cornell's playful illustrations make the struggles
Published July 31st 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It's Hard to Be Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Hard to Be Five

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews EdwardsMr. Peabody's Apples by MadonnaTea for Ruby by Sarah FergusonMandy by Julie Andrews EdwardsToday I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis
Children's books by Celebrity Authors
20th out of 27 books — 11 voters
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin HenkesBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakChrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
From the Rocking Chair
40th out of 51 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
One of my 5 yr old's favorite books of all time. I can't tell you how many times he's read this on his own and asked us to read it. To have a book written about his age group exclusively is novel to him and he adores it. Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job with this and it's nice to see that actors and actresses have other endeavors and talents as well. The pictures were cute, and my preschoolers even loved to follow along with the story. A great addition to any children's library.
midnightfaerie
Deana
This book was... very busy. I guess that's appropriate because it's about five year olds. The words were written in a font that I didn't find easy to read, and there were many distractions on all of the pages except the one that said "SIT STILL". Also, the kid spends the first part of the book describing how hard it is to be five and then randomly switches sentiments half-way through and talks about how great it is to be five. And while many examples are given for both beliefs, some of which are ...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 7/16/10 -

We've all heard the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". I learned not to judge a book by it's author with this one. Meaning, the only books written by celebrities that I read are by accident. Julia and I pick out books by title and cover and story, without looking at the author. And so I end up with a celeb written book on occasion.
I forget the title of the other Jamie Lee Curtis book we read and that's because it wasn't memorable in the least. I was so unim
Jessica
It's hard not to love this book! This is such a wonderful book to read in Kindergarten! Some children get very over-whelmed when first starting school and this book is one that they can really relate to! The beautiful, and colorful illustrations are hilarious, and engaging. The rhyming words, enlarged words, small words, and sometimes oddly shaped words keep children on their toes! All in all this book gets a big thumbs up, and a five star rating to match its five star style!

Learning Extension:
F
Julia
Looking back, it really isn't all that easy being a kid. I mean, as an adult, I have more responsibilities and the worries that come with them, but even kids struggle with difficult things. I think we forget that sometimes, and that creates a divide between adults and children. If you can't empathize with their issues, how can you relate to a child and help them grow? This book is really great for helping adults remember the issues that they once faced. It also helps the child think of better wa ...more
Lori Reed
Jul 30, 2013 Lori Reed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: This is a great birthday gift for a 5 year old
My son received this as a gift for his fifth birthday and now we are reading it a few years later to his little sister. They love this book! We love this book! The story is about the challenges and joys of being five. Going to school, sitting still, playing, getting dirty, making a mess...and most of all knowing that it's ok to be five! It's ok to be a kid. As another reviewer said, this book is great for parents as well, as it reminds us of what it is like to be a kid.

The illustrations are brig
Kaycee Greenwood
It is defiantly hard to be 5 if you have never been 5 before. There are some many new things happening in your life and this book talks about all of them. It is written from a 5 year old's persecutive and looks like it too. Very fun book that would help 5 year old deal with this turning point age.
Stephanie Skolmoski
Anyone having a 5-year-old child be it a grandparent, teacher, neighbor, librarian, anyone at all will love this book! It's Hard to Be Five, by Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell, captures the challenges a 5-year-old faces. It's difficult to learn how to control your body, your mouth, not to mention your mind. As adults it's daunting to watch a child gain control of themselves, including their actions and we watch with patience and self-control -- difficult as it may be. And what's worse is if t ...more
Laura Pharis
I think this a great book that kids can easily relate to. I think teachers and parents can gain insight from this book as well. There are so many changes going on in the life and mind of a child, and sometimes it is hard to be five, six, or even seven.
Rachael
This book made me laugh. It's so true at age five that we don't listen or behave. We are loud, obnoxious, and move constantly. Overall a very humorous picture book.
Natalie
Five-year-olds definitely exist in a liminal state. You're no longer a baby, but you can't quite tie your shoes yet. This title is there to reassure those going through the transition to being a big kid.
Paula
I love all Ms. Curtis' books. They teach great lessons in a language that kids can relate to!
Jenny
This is pretty cute and will really hit home to a 5-year-old.
Lyn
A Classic Little Boy Book!
For our family this has become a traditional gift for your 5th birthday. It is the absolute best way to help little boys understand what is happening in their world. The book talks about getting ready to start school; however, the story fits for homeschoolers as well. The book lends itself to many discussions and answers a lot of “what if” questions. This is a perfect gift or book to keep in your school or home library!

Ayana Mishelle
I love Jami Lee Curtis Books !!1 This one actually can be read to any age. Listen to this " It's hard to be five. Just yelled at my brother. My mind says do one thing. My mouth says another. " This is a book about self-control. It also talks about the joy of being 5. This book comes highly reccommended for just about all ages. Text to - self, students can talk about classroom rules, and be truly inspired.
Snorkle
One of the lines in this book actually made me laugh out loud. I thought this was a fun tale, if not amusing at points. The pictures were outrageously detailed, I had a hard time tearing myself away from the illustrations to read the words on the page. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Suebee
The endpapers of the book show a five year old's "control panel" - red and smoking at the beginning; running smoothly at the end. Details how "it's hard to be five," from washing your face to going to school. By the end - "It's hard fun to be five." (Hard fun?) Illustrations are really very busy, might be distracting for younger readers, but fun for older kids to pick out all the details.
Kate
This book is an awesome way to help five year olds understand that it is hard being 5. I like that it takes you through the ups and downs of being five and sometimes it is ok to have a rough day, especially since its hard being five. I would use this in my classroom to talk about learning self control and ways to cope with it.
Neil Nicholson
I originally picked up this book to read to my 5year old. Its not only a good book for prek and kindergarteners, but for parents as well. It gives insight to behavior and attitudes that students have at this age. This would be a great read aloud. I'm sure students would be able to relate in more ways than one.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
This is a very cute book to read to kindergarteners or other young children. Sometimes things can be overwhelming for young children. They can really relate to this book because it talks about how life is changing, but shows them that it is still fun. The different writing throughout the book is also fun for kids.
Anna Davis
I thought this book was so darn cute. Early readers would love this, I think. The pictures were very funny and colorful and the rest was just plain clever. It would be a good read for someone entering school for the first time who is afraid. It is all about a boy who is changing and having a hard time adjusting.
Shannon
Jamie Lee Curtis has done many things with the topic of self-esteem, including writing children's books! This book talks about the difficulties of being five. Many of them even deal with beginning school and having to share, take turns, etc. It is very good at actually portraying real life too!
Christy
This is a great book to be read to Pre-K and kindergarten classes. It is written cleverly and students can relate to the way that the boy in the book says that his mind says one thing and his mouth says another. Everyone can relate to the issues on self control in this book. Great illustrations!
Hope Johnson
Love, love, love this book. Too cute, it teaches kids that it is okay to grow up and it can be fun! The more you learn the more you have control over yourself. It may be scary to start school or not how how to express yourself but you will get the hang of it and you will love it.
Christie Suh
Very good book for the first day of school in Kindergarten. About a boy who doesn't like being five because he thinks he's not young any more and has to go to school. He realizes that being five is a good thing and becomes proud of the things he can do.
Kelly
Loved it!! I like reading this book so I read it to my nieces and nephews before and after they turn 5. Love the illustrations and the text completely pulls out the mindset of a 5 year old (sitting, sitting...still sitting) or a 35 year old, HA!
Maria Sigg
If you need a book to read to a five year old, this is it. The illustrations are colorful and represent the text. Turning five is a pivotal moment in life and this book examines and address how a five must feel on the inside. Enjoy!
Alisha
Great book for those Kindergarten students that are new to school. It not only lets them know that what they are experiencing is normal, it also reminds you that 5 year olds are suppose to be the way they are. =)
Lisa
A child finds that learning to have self-control is hard, but it can also be fun.

Lower Grades K-3

Fiction
Topic - Subtopic: Behavior-Self Control; Family Life-Growing Up; People-Children
  • Yay, You!: Moving Up and Moving On
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Crazy Hair Day
  • How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them
  • I Love You the Purplest
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
Jamie Lee Curtis is a two-time Golden Globe-winning, BAFTA-winning, and Emmy-nominated American film actress and an author of children's books. Although she was initially known as a "scream queen" because of her starring roles in many horror films early in her career such as Halloween (1978 film), The Fog, Prom Night (1980 film) and Terror Train, Curtis has since compiled a body of work that cover ...more
More about Jamie Lee Curtis...
Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born Is There Really a Human Race? I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth