Start by marking “The Boy in the Lot” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Lot

The Boy in the Lot

Fear lives in Stillwater.

Eleven-year-old Mark Davis wasn’t happy at all that his family was moving to the small town of Stillwater. He worried that he’d miss his old friends and not be able to make new ones. But he’ll soon learn that was the least of his worries. Something deadly is waiting to welcome him to town.

Enjoy this chilling, short companion piece to Ronald Malfi’s
Published August 4th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Lot

1/10 - I didn't know this was a 'prologue' to a longer Malfi book until after I finished reading. If I had known while reading I probably would have marked it higher, but as it was I found it unsatisfyingly short and unresolved.

But yay for only two editing mistakes (at the same time boo for there being any editing mistakes)!

Location 105
'The card depicted a grouchy cartoon crab, a pouty frown in its face.
On its face, not in its face.

Location 144 (which, funnily enough is the 'about the author' pa
Trev Twinem
Dec 25, 2013 Trev Twinem rated it liked it
It was hard to see the point of this very short book...except as a little teaser to The Narrows and therefore I have read before attempting the much meatier offering of The Narrows. The Malfi style is there but little in the way of story or character development...how could it at only 18 pages long...still cant really complain as it was a free download....
Kate

I had no idea that this is a companion piece to The Narrows and not a stand alone short. As such it doesn't really make much sense and has an ending that is abrupt and gives no idea of what the story is really about.
This wouldn't prompt me to buy The Narrows, it's a poor advertisement for how good the novel might be. Shame, as I think Mr Malfi is way better than this.
Elke
Jun 10, 2015 Elke rated it really liked it
The author takes his time to introduce the boy in the lot before giving us just a short glimpse of the monster at the very end. This short story is a perfect example for the concept of the novel it is meant to promote: slow pace, elaborate character building and sparse but intense horror. Having read The Narrows already, I knew the danger lurking in the darkness and my main focus was on the writing.

However, the plot itself is not too original, so if readers are not captivated by the author's gre
Nev Murray
Nov 12, 2014 Nev Murray rated it it was amazing
Very short story.......You could read it in 15 minutes.......but superb.

This is a prelude to The Narrows. If it was written to whet the appetite for the main novel.....it worked with me. Leaves you screaming at the book for more more more!
Bandit
Feb 09, 2013 Bandit rated it liked it
This was a spooky short story, but it comes across unfinished, sort of like it'd be a great prologue for a novel and, as I see from GR's description, it is in fact a teaser for Narrows. Works well as such, made me curious about the book.
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 16, 2015 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it
okay, now I'm ready to tee-read The Narrows!
This little story is just a teaser for Malfi' s novel, The Narrows.
there's just enough here to get you clamoring for more.
Grab this tiny tale and the novel. you won't be disappointed.
Ms. Nikki
This is a very short read that did nothing to pique my interest for future reads in this world. Anyone who took a vacation and needed to stop for a rest, could write down every detail and come up with something just as good or better than this. Really shocked. Not recommended.
Kim Taras
Apr 22, 2016 Kim Taras rated it liked it
Ready to read the Narrows!
Benita Vehnom  Ruiz
Sep 04, 2012 Benita Vehnom Ruiz rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The Boy in the lot was a very quick read (Only 18 pages) but I have to say from the beginning of the novel I was intrigued.

(view spoiler)
Zachary at The Eyes of Madness
This apparently did more for me than it did for others, this captured me immediately. "The Boy in the Lot" is a very brief teaser/ tie-in (I think the 18 page count is generous) to the novel "The Narrows" but it has done it's job and has fully whet my appetite for a book that wasn't on my radar until now.

The Davis family is flesh out well in such a short period of time, haggard and worn-out during an unwanted move away from Maryland. And man, do I want to know more. "The Narrows" had definitely
Jarrod Scarbrough
Jan 31, 2015 Jarrod Scarbrough rated it really liked it
This very short story is a companion story (and really, more of a teaser) to Malfi's The Narrows. It is a fun little horror story that packs a punch and serves its purpose in that it gets the reader wanting to know more, needing to go out and buy the other book! Great fun, now I must get the other book!
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sep 06, 2012 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it liked it
I just finished reading this shortie on my Samsung Galaxy Note. It's another freebie from Samhain.

Mark doesn't want to move away from his friends, but his father got a new job in another state and he's got no other choice but to accept it. But when his parents stop for the night in a crappy motel, something really horrible is waiting for him outside...

This was another well written short story, with that old-style horror feeling.
Heidi Ward
A great, creepy little story -- until it ends on a complete cliffhanger! Not surprising, as it's kind of a teaser for The Narrows; still, it felt like libris interruptus. Darn it . . . guess I'll need to read that novel!
Claire
Sep 24, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
This short story was okay. It was my first Malfi read and I was disappointed, but I gave him another chance with Floating Staircase. I think this story sets up the basis for one of his novels but I'm not sure. Maybe I will read it again. I feel like I just didn't get it.
Donald Armfield
A quick read, a companion to the new novel by Ronald Malfi "The Narrows" Mark finds what has been waiting to welcome him into town of Stillwater.

Creepy read sitting on the edge of your seat, because you know something is about to happen.
Lanie
This reminded me of the first few minutes of the TV show "supernatural" where the monster gets someone. :) it was ok writing and a bit creepy. But it felt incomplete. Like the beginning of a novel I'll never get to finish. :(
Jennifer Jimmerson
I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly. What I read I liked, but it just abruptly ended. What grabbed the kid? I wanted more.
Igor
Feb 18, 2016 Igor rated it really liked it
As it standalone it has a very abrupt ending but this book seems to be some kind of intro to another story.
Angela Verdenius
May 29, 2014 Angela Verdenius rated it it was amazing
When I started this, I'd forgotten it was like a 'lead-in' to the series, like a teaser Certainly has me wanting to read the full story!
Tom
Apr 21, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
Great story.This is more of a prologue for the book The Narrows.Very creepy.Looking forward to the Narrows even more.
Tim McWhorter
May 31, 2016 Tim McWhorter rated it it was amazing
A little short to even call this a prequel, but as an appetizer, it's a perfect introduction to The Narrows. My interest was sufficiently piqued and I downloaded the follow-up immediately.
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 04, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was ok
All right creepy little story but with no proper ending. Just a set up for the "The Narrows". Glad I got it on freebie day.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Daniel Garay
Daniel Garay rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Danielle Knight
Jan 09, 2014 Danielle Knight rated it really liked it
Good short story!
jules0623
jules0623 rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Nicole Baker
Nicole Baker rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Plague City
  • Vampire Guts in Nuke Town
  • Shock Totem 2: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Blood Red Riding Hood (Zombie Fairy Tales #4)
  • Specimen 313
  • Blood Mountain
  • Sunruined: Horror Stories
  • Text Message
  • A Zombie Christmas
Ronald Malfi is an award-winning author of many novels and novellas in the horror, mystery, and thriller categories from various publishers, including Little Girls, this summer’s 2015 release from Kensington.

In 2009, his crime drama, Shamrock Alley, won a Silver IPPY Award. In 2011, his ghost story/mystery novel, Floating Staircase, was a finalist for the Horror Writers Association Bram Stoker Awa
More about Ronald Malfi...