Start by marking “The Boy in the Lot” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Lot

The Boy in the Lot

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Fear lives in Stillwater.

Eleven-year-old Mark Davis wasn’t happy at all that his family was moving to the small town of Stillwater. He worried that he’d miss his old friends and not be able to make new ones. But he’ll soon learn that was the least of his worries. Something deadly is waiting to welcome him to town.

Enjoy this chilling, short companion piece to Ronald Malfi’s
Published August 4th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Lot

Trev Twinem
It was hard to see the point of this very short book...except as a little teaser to The Narrows and therefore I have read before attempting the much meatier offering of The Narrows. The Malfi style is there but little in the way of story or character development...how could it at only 18 pages long...still cant really complain as it was a free download....
Kate

I had no idea that this is a companion piece to The Narrows and not a stand alone short. As such it doesn't really make much sense and has an ending that is abrupt and gives no idea of what the story is really about.
This wouldn't prompt me to buy The Narrows, it's a poor advertisement for how good the novel might be. Shame, as I think Mr Malfi is way better than this.
Elke
The author takes his time to introduce the boy in the lot before giving us just a short glimpse of the monster at the very end. This short story is a perfect example for the concept of the novel it is meant to promote: slow pace, elaborate character building and sparse but intense horror. Having read The Narrows already, I knew the danger lurking in the darkness and my main focus was on the writing.

However, the plot itself is not too original, so if readers are not captivated by the author's gre
Nikki
This is a very short read that did nothing to pique my interest for future reads in this world. Anyone who took a vacation and needed to stop for a rest, could write down every detail and come up with something just as good or better than this. Really shocked. Not recommended.
Bandit
This was a spooky short story, but it comes across unfinished, sort of like it'd be a great prologue for a novel and, as I see from GR's description, it is in fact a teaser for Narrows. Works well as such, made me curious about the book.
Zachary at The Mouths of Madness Podcast
This apparently did more for me than it did for others, this captured me immediately. "The Boy in the Lot" is a very brief teaser/ tie-in (I think the 18 page count is generous) to the novel "The Narrows" but it has done it's job and has fully whet my appetite for a book that wasn't on my radar until now.

The Davis family is flesh out well in such a short period of time, haggard and worn-out during an unwanted move away from Maryland. And man, do I want to know more. "The Narrows" had definitely
Benita Vehnom  Ruiz
The Boy in the lot was a very quick read (Only 18 pages) but I have to say from the beginning of the novel I was intrigued.

(view spoiler)
Nev Murray
Very short story.......You could read it in 15 minutes.......but superb.

This is a prelude to The Narrows. If it was written to whet the appetite for the main novel.....it worked with me. Leaves you screaming at the book for more more more!
Nicola Mansfield
All right creepy little story but with no proper ending. Just a set up for the "The Narrows". Glad I got it on freebie day.
Angela Verdenius
When I started this, I'd forgotten it was like a 'lead-in' to the series, like a teaser Certainly has me wanting to read the full story!
BookLover62
Great little introduction to the writer and lead in to The Narrows.
Jeanine
Too short, didn't make sense.
Yolanda Sfetsos
I just finished reading this shortie on my Samsung Galaxy Note. It's another freebie from Samhain.

Mark doesn't want to move away from his friends, but his father got a new job in another state and he's got no other choice but to accept it. But when his parents stop for the night in a crappy motel, something really horrible is waiting for him outside...

This was another well written short story, with that old-style horror feeling.
Heidi Ward
A great, creepy little story -- until it ends on a complete cliffhanger! Not surprising, as it's kind of a teaser for The Narrows; still, it felt like libris interruptus. Darn it . . . guess I'll need to read that novel!
Claire
This short story was okay. It was my first Malfi read and I was disappointed, but I gave him another chance with Floating Staircase. I think this story sets up the basis for one of his novels but I'm not sure. Maybe I will read it again. I feel like I just didn't get it.
Donald Armfield
A quick read, a companion to the new novel by Ronald Malfi "The Narrows" Mark finds what has been waiting to welcome him into town of Stillwater.

Creepy read sitting on the edge of your seat, because you know something is about to happen.
Danielle Knight
Good short story!
Jennifer Jimmerson
I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly. What I read I liked, but it just abruptly ended. What grabbed the kid? I wanted more.
Tom
Great story.This is more of a prologue for the book The Narrows.Very creepy.Looking forward to the Narrows even more.
Becky Carothers
Very good for a short story really makes me want to read something else by this author.
Brenda Seaberg
The story was well written, but it stopped way too soon, leaving me wanting for more.
Nyimah
It was short but what I read made me interested in checking out the full book.
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
SUSAN
SUSAN marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Laura Hernandez
Laura Hernandez marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Not Before Bed
  • Sunruined: Horror Stories
  • 13 Drops of Blood
Ronald Malfi is an award-winning novelist and short fiction writer whose most notable works include the novels Via Dolorosa and Shamrock Alley. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and collections throughout the US and abroad. Most recognized for his haunting, literary style and memorable characters, Malfi writes fiction that transcends genres to gain wider acceptance among readers ...more
More about Ronald Malfi...
Floating Staircase Snow The Mourning House The Narrows Cradle Lake