Start by marking “The Baby Plan” as Want to Read:
The Baby Plan

The Baby Plan

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  22 reviews

What he wants…

…is a baby. A child of his own. Jake Manning more or less raised his younger siblings; he loves kids and knows he's a natural father. However, he's had zero success as a husband. So he comes up with a baby plan, one that requires a woman but not a wife.

What she needs…

…is money. Security. An education. A home. Harley Emerson might be a crack mechanic, but

ebook, Harlequin Superromance #1103, 224 pages
Published April 2012 by Harlequin (first published December 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Plan

This was a really good book, the hero Jake is someone really good who loved taking care of his siblings and now that they are married wants one of his own but is having problems, his wife chose her career over him and his efforts at adoption gave him heart-break & he is considering the option of surrogacy.

Then he meets Harley who loses her job as a mechanic when something from his car is taken, Jake knows she didn't do it and feels guilty so he visits her & finds that she lives in povert
Very good read. This book touched on very real issues/problems from childhood that can cause problems in developing adult relationships. The heroine after being abandoned by her mother and then her father dying when she was 10 was raised in foster care. She suffered from feeling abandoned, alone and unworthy. As an adult she was convicted of a crime she did not commit and as a result had difficulty in finding employment.
This book had a very sweet romance but more than that I liked how it address
Aug 18, 2012 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
4 1/2 Stars! ~ Jake's a natural when it comes to parenting, successfully raising his brother and sister who both now had families of their own. But divorced, he doesn't fancy another marriage, and now he's been rejected twice for adoption. He's come to the conclusion that the only way he's going to be able to keep a child is if he's the actual biological father. So Jake starts to look for the perfect surrogate mother. Harley is a young woman who's always had to fight to prove herself worthy. Wro ...more
Very readable book. The heroine had a rough upbringing and a rough recent life. The hero wants children and but doesn't want to get remarried in order to have them. So they get together on a surrogacy. I liked the down on her luck heroine and the kind but rather dim hero. After all he should have figured out that he really wanted her sooner. The brother that didn't approve was a nice touch and I really liked the parole officer. The ending was pretty great and the hero really came through for he ...more
This is not the most original, complex or realistic story ever told (though it does touch on real issues), and at times I wanted to give the little brother a smack in the face for being a judgmental arse as well as shake some awareness in to Harley (especially when she seemed to use her crappy past as an excuse to wallow in misery). Yet for all the "problems" this is an incredibly sweet story about two people getting everything they didn't think they wanted without the usual bag of stupid misund ...more
As an HP book, it's better than the average hp our there. The heroine at least stands up for herself when she's not 'frozen', or tired/sick, or second guessing herself, or moping in 'poor-is-me' mood. A lot of unsatisfactory or rushed resolution in the book. Like the h's arresting officer. I would have put the over-eager/half-c police officer to the 'cleaners' for his harassment of the then very pregnant and upset heroine.
I do want the hero's brother to bleed though in this story. Like cut him
Melody Cox
Fabulous book! The characters were well developed and the storyline was a bit different from other romance books.

Jake was a divorced, hunky man of 35, who desperately wanted a child...but no wife. He has tried to adopt and is considering a surrogate. His wife walked out on him and shattered his heart. He had to find a way to have a baby without a wife.

Harley, a female mechanic who has been wrongly charged of a crime, seems like the perfect choice for a surrogate. She doesn't want children becaus
Couldn't put it down!

A very good Cinderella story, I love it, fell in love with Jake and Harley. This book has a great plot and wonderful character development. And of course a lovely ending.
Sweet story. I enjoyed Harley and Jake's journey.
Oana S
It was an amazing story.

A girl that has no one, find her prince charming, who doesn't believe in evil but brings out the best in people, from his obnoxious lovable pets, to his over protective, hardheaded brother.

It brings a little bit of everything, an easy read and wonderfully written story that catches the attention of the reader without making stress over the little details.
Should've been a good solid sweet story if not for the flip-flop character of Harley

"I don't want to be turned away."
after a few hours.....
"I'm leaving because I love you."
Me: Really? Are you kidding me?
Read in September 2008.

I remember this book and thought the hero took advantage of the heroine when I first started reading it. Then as the heroine listed her demands, I was like 'Ohhh, he's screwed!' It was an awesome novel.
Absolutely loved it! Harley was amazing and Jake god what a heart. Quick read that rung a few tears from me, very HEA. With a little sass at the end.
This was such a cute book. I loved Harley and Jake. The epilogue was perfect. I'm glad Harley had a happy ending she totally deserved.
Cute, cute, cute... sometimes all I need is to read that kind of story, the one that leaves you with a big smile on your face !!
I wasn't expecting much from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. The story line is very cute and a quick read.
I read this book several years ago on one sleepless night. con't remember much expect that was nice.
The book was an easy fun read the characters seem real can kind of relate. Different love story must read!
Such a sweet book!!! I loved Harley and Jake! Jake is every woman's dream man!
Well written but for some reason just didn't work for me.
Scott Bidinger
Scott Bidinger marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Tanairy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Pam H
Pam H marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • His Wife for One Night
  • Baby Business
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • First Comes Baby
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • With This Fling
  • The Boss's Baby
  • Take Me
  • The Farmer's Wife (Luchettis Brothers #1)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Kellan (The Mighty Quinns, #18)
  • One Night, One Baby
  • His Son's Teacher
  • Proposal Pernikahan (The Bride's Proposition)
  • It Happened One Christmas
  • That New York Minute
  • The Long Shot (The Fallon Brothers, #1)
  • The Contaxis Baby
  • Here Comes the Groom (Special Forces, #1)
I live in Erie, PA, with my husband and son, who both support me in this crazy venture of becoming a published author, an English Mastiff, who doesn't really care one way or another as long as she's fed and someone rubs her belly, and a large aquarium full of fish. (They belong to the dh and son.)

Books have always been my constant companions, all the way back to when I was reading Gus, The Friendl
More about Susan Gable...
The Family Plan The Pregnancy Test A Kid to the Rescue As Good as His Word Whose Child?