Start by marking “Antiques Chop (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Antiques Chop (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #7)

Antiques Chop (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #7)

The quaint Midwestern town of Serenity is about to hit the small screen. Brandy Borne and her dramatically ditzy mother, Vivian, will be starring in Antique Sleuths, a reality TV show based on the duo's antiquarian adventures--and their troubling talent for solving deadly crimes. What better shooting set than a creepy old house, the site of a 60-year-old unsolved axe ...more
Published April 30th 2013 by Kensington (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Antiques Chop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antiques Chop

Nancy Narma
May 30, 2013 Nancy Narma rated it really liked it

“Chop, Chop—Who’s There??”

I’m so glad to wander back to Serenity, Iowa and be re-acquainted with Brandy Borne and her super-sleuthing Mother/Grandmother Vivian. (Oops! Can’t leave out Brandy’s beloved blind Shih Tzu, Sushi!) The Author provides us with some history of a murder which happened locally in the 1950’s and was the theme of a documentary, much to some dismay. Brandy always has a lot “on her plate”, thanks to Viv’s never-ending adventures, so when ex-husband, Roger arrives frantic and f
Feb 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Brandy and her ditzy mother Vivian are going to be stars in a new reality TV show about antiques. They finagle their way into leasing a house where a gruesome murder was committed 60 years ago, and guess what - someone associated with the show meets a similar fate, and Vivian (and a reluctant Brandy) are sleuthing again.

First off, you have to like a somewhat Monty Python approach to writing to love this series - and I do. Sometimes we read in Vivian's words, sometimes in Brandy's...I've read a f
RebeccaS
Mar 13, 2016 RebeccaS rated it really liked it
I love these books because they make me laugh. The little quirks throughout the book add a different a lighthearted touch. This time it was Brandy and Vivian arguing about things in the narrative using parenthesis, while their editor wants them to pencil in the margin. I felt like Vivian really spearheaded the sleuthing (more than usual) in this investigation, probably because this new murder was somehow linked to one of her childhood and it involved many of her childhood friends. I was slightly ...more
Katherine
Sep 05, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
A very lighthearted murder mystery with humorous characters. Though this is a series, it was just as enjoyable reading out of order. I will pick up more in this fun series.
Nora-adrienne
May 31, 2013 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Antiques Chop
By: Barbara Allan
Copyright: May 2013
Publisher: Kensington Books

The quaint Midwestern town of Serenity is about to hit the small screen. Brandy Borne and her dramatically ditzy mother, Vivian, will be starring in Antique Sleuths, a reality TV show based on the duo's antiquarian adventures--and their troubling talent for solving deadly crimes. What better shooting set than a creepy old house, the site of a 60-year-old unsolved axe murder?

The location is perfect until Bruce Spring, the
OpenBookSociety.com
May 23, 2014 OpenBookSociety.com rated it liked it
Shelves: joanne

Brought to you by OBS reviewer JoAnne

Okay, Brandy and her mother do not have a new reality show; they are asked to start one, but before it can even get off the ground, the producer is indeed murdered, so there’s no question of cancellation at all. That being said, I will add the book is well-written, and the plot is nicely knitted together, in the fact that I wasn’t sure who the killer was until the very end. This is what you definitely want in a mystery.
Michelle
Sep 15, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Another great book from this series.
Funny and very cozy!
Lorrie
Aug 16, 2016 Lorrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2-star
Sometimes I wish I wasn't the kind of reader who will almost always finish a book (and series) even when they are bad or annoying as hell to read.

Just when I thought things were looking up with this series, and the incessant use of parentheses was toned down to that of a semi normal person of the last couple books rather than the insane fettish-esque use from the first couple. This book brings in an even more annoying habit of comedic asides where the characters are talking like they are the au
Richard Ward
Dec 16, 2013 Richard Ward rated it really liked it
Very good light-hearted murder mystery, mostly continuing the high quality of the series. The quirky "Holmes" and "Watson," along with the Christie-esque fictional small town where everyone knows everyone, continue to entertain, with new stuff keeping it all fresh. The murder is the most gruesome of the series, by far, though the solution to the "whodunit" is not terribly surprising. Thankfully, some of the bloodless subplots that had continued through the series until now, and had grown ...more
Eleanor Jones
Feb 23, 2014 Eleanor Jones rated it it was amazing
Really, no matter what mood I'm in, I can always count on a Trash 'n' Treasures mystery to make me laugh, over and over. This latest installment is no different. I enjoyed the plot and characters tremendously, as usual, and the addition of Rocky as a supporting character is terrific. My only complaint (if I had one) is that the use of multiple parentheses as a humor device in the earlier books seems to have been mostly beaten out of the authors, perhaps by an editor or even by (heaven forbid) ...more
Kris
Dec 14, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
This series cracks me up. Although a lot of people get offended because the authors poke fun at mental illness, I (coming from a family with bi-polar and members on anti depressants) can say that sometimes we do make fun of ourselves and each other. Is it right? Probably not, but let's face it, the world isn't right and some families deal with stuff this way. If you are overly sensitive to this type of thing, stay away from this series.

All that aside, I found this book a wonderfully quick (two
Susan
Jul 12, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
This mystery is personal for Vivien Borne--someone has murdered the producer who was going to make a reality show star of her, and of her daughter Brandy too. And the murder replicates an axe murder in which Vivien testified as witness when she was just eight--all right, twelve. Vivien is on her meds, but still able and willing to drag Brandy into any number of embarrassing and dangerous situations. Mostly narrated by Brandy, who gives Vivien two chapters.
Tamara
Mar 09, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Another of Barbara Allan'sw Trash 'n' treasures mysteries finished :). I think this may be the last one my library system carries so I will have to do some hunting for the few I still need to read, which makes me sad. I enjoy Vivian and Brandy's misadventures way too much! Not to mention the little antique tips thrown in for good measure.
Cathy
Aug 27, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
2.75 stars really. I love this series - it's so fun and quirky. This one was a bit of a disappointment because I figured out "who done it" about half way through the book. I'm usually not that good, so I figure the story was a bit weak. I did enjoy it nonetheless because of the characters I've become so attached to.
Karen
Aug 05, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
I would probably read an early one of the books in the series. It was light entertainment. The narration was a little chatty for me. I like mysteries where I have a chance to figure out the clues with the narrator and this one had a little less clues and more chattiness. If you want to look at the relationship between a mom and daughter you will like the narration.
Amy
May 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: antique-cozy
Another excellent installment of Brandy and Vivian Borne!

The best paragraph in the book is on page nine, and is said by Vivian (sorry Brandy!):

"Leaving him alone in that big house. Why, he might have had one of those wild rock 'n' roll parties you see in the movies! Dancing in his underpants and with nubile young things doing the boogaloo in bikinis around the backyard pool!"
Mary Schildman
Mar 22, 2015 Mary Schildman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery

Again, good story, wonderful characters, more insight to the characters and if course, good mystery. And again, I am really beginning to hate the nonsense of bickering between editor,Vivian and Brandy. And the useless, 7000 word nonsense,word filler of Vivian,Brandy and editor. It's a good funny mystery, leAve out the crappy 7000 word nonsense
Christine
Jan 03, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Engaging characters in the inviting setting of Serenity, Iowa. Fun yarn about murder, old and new, in a small town. I read this out of order with no problem. I will be going on to read the rest of the series--I am hooked.
Linda Smatzny
Jun 18, 2013 Linda Smatzny rated it liked it
This is the seventh book of the Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery series. The main character, Brandy Borne, and her mother,Vivian, are offered a chance to have a reality tv show. Vivian isn't quite as pushy as in some of the other books. It is quick easy read.
Daniell
Sep 17, 2013 Daniell rated it really liked it
As always these two women get themselves into a mess they may not be able to survive. Their antics are often silly and leave the other characters dumbfounded. They are funny and loveable and don't forget their pooches! Those books are a nice light read.
Debra Davis
Sep 16, 2013 Debra Davis rated it it was amazing
Funny, funny. Love the two main characters, they are so quirky and the writing style is so fun. This is only the second book I've read by Barbara Allen (actually a husband & wife team) but have enjoyed both thoroughly. Never has an ax murder received such treatment.
Katherine Rowland
Sep 15, 2015 Katherine Rowland rated it it was ok
Shelves: fic-mystery
An okay mystery, mostly enjoyable for the mom/daughter interactions. Requires a pretty hefty suspension of belief.
MariLou Schuman
Fun reads, written from the point of view of Brandi, with the.occasional "intrusion" by Grandmother Vivian.
Robyn Drury
Jul 24, 2015 Robyn Drury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read as usual

Please not so much back and forth with your editor, too much this time. Still a funny, fun read. Can't imagine what's up your sleeve for your next book.
Donna
Apr 19, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Really cute and funny; kept me guessing till the end which I find to be a good trait in a mystery book.
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Amy Webster
Amy Webster rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Jan Thompson
Jan Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Frances
Aug 30, 2014 Frances rated it really liked it
As always very amusing!
Gail Morrison
Gail Morrison rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
  • Stolen Away (Nathan Heller, #6)
  • Nightmares Can Be Murder (Dream Club Mystery #1)
  • Scrapbook of Secrets
  • Black Hats: A Novel of Wyatt Earp and Al Capone
  • From Herring to Eternity (A Deadly Deli Mystery #4)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • Chihuahua Confidential (Barking Detective #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • A Deadly Grind (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Gilt Trip (A Scrapbooking Mystery #11)
  • Brush with Death (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries, #5)
  • The Big Bang
Barbara Allan is a pseudonym used by Barbara Collins and Max Allan Collins

Max Allan Collins is a writer of mystery novels, screenplays, comics and historical fiction. Collins has collaborated on numerous short stories with his wife writer Barbara Collins. Together they also write the successful “Trash ‘n’ Treasures” mysteries – their Antiques Flee Market (2008) won the Romantic Times Best Humorous
More about Barbara Allan...

A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
  • Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)
  • Antiques Con (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #8)
  • Antiques Swap (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #9)
  • Antiques Fate (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #10)
  • Antiques Frame (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #11)