Start by marking “Between Heaven and Texas (Cobbled Quilt, #6)” as Want to Read:
Between Heaven and Texas (Cobbled Quilt, #6)

Between Heaven and Texas (Cobbled Quilt #6)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,331 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
In this luminous prequel to her beloved Cobbled Court Quilts series, New York Times bestselling author Marie Bostwick takes readers into the heart of a small Texas town and the soul of a woman who discovers her destiny there. . .

Welcome to Too Much--where the women are strong-willed and the men are handsome yet shiftless. Ever since Mary Dell Templeton and her twin sister
Published April 30th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Between Heaven and Texas, please sign up.

Debbie Kelleher-taeger Another Marie Bostwick success! Afraid to put it down for fear of missing something even when you know the story waits for you to return! I also read…moreAnother Marie Bostwick success! Afraid to put it down for fear of missing something even when you know the story waits for you to return! I also read them in order of publishing. It was great to "meet" Mary Dell and later discover her back story! (less)

Anna
Mar 30, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the Cobbled Court Quilt series and have always enjoyed the appearance of Mary Dell. Like the state of Texas she hails from, Mary Dell is big, bold and larger than life. "Between Heaven and Texas" is the story of how Mary Dell became a quilting legend. She and her twin sister Lydia Dell come from a long line of strong women. For generations their ranch has been passed down from mother to daughter. Mary Dell is a talented seamstress who as a child dreamed of opening her own dress s ...more
Maryellen
Oct 24, 2012 Maryellen rated it it was amazing
It was 1970 and Mary Dell Templeton was kneeling in front of the toilet at the church holding her white veil back away from her face. And so begins this prequel to Marie Bostwick's Cobbled Court Series where we get to spend a little time in Too Much, Texas on the F-Bar-T Ranch with Mary Dell and her fraternal twin sister, Lydia Dale, and the very strong and saucy women in their lives. And some noteworthy men too! Mary Dell is tall, buxom, and blonde with sass and style to match. Lydia Dell is pe ...more
Rachel
Mar 21, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
The problem with reading ... you have to wait another whole year before you get to read another one of Marie Bostwick's books. Sigh. I love this one and cannot wait to read more in this series ... it'll be worth the wait!

**********************************************************

Once again, Ms. Bostwick has managed to keep my nose between the pages of her book, reading until its sweet conclusion ... I might as well forget that I have a life outside of reading. Yes. Her books are that good. I am h
Nancy Narma
Apr 18, 2013 Nancy Narma rated it it was amazing

Love, Longing and Loyalty Shine in Ms. Bostwick’s Best Work to Date..”

If you have enjoyed Marie Bostwick’s Cobbled Court series, you’re going to fall in love with “Too Much”, Texas and be thrilled that our beloved Mary Dell Templeton is back. We learn how her famous ancestors, George and Flagadine Tudmore settled the prime acreage now known as the F-Bar-T Ranch, long before Texas gained statehood. The Tudmore women are a sturdy, strong, savvy and sassy lot, and Mary Dell and her twin sister, Lyd
Ruth
Dec 09, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
After writing five books in her Cobblestone Quilt series, Marie Bostwick wrote a pre-quell to the stories. This novel is about MaryDell Templeton and her family. MaryDell has a twin sister and lives with her family in Texas. The story begins when the girls are in their late teens and continues through their lives concluding with MaryDell's struggles trying to open a quilt shop in the town. Bostwick depicts MaryDell's life realistically with ups and downs, struggles and joys. There is plenty of e ...more
Gaile
Jun 23, 2013 Gaile rated it it was amazing
My first love is sewing and although I do not quilts, I do love novels about quilting. In her newest book, Marie Bostwick doesn't disappoint. Departing from the location of her previous novels, Ms Bostwick now puts her reader in the heart of Texas where twin sisters and co-owners of a ranch have problems of their own. Lydia Dale thinking her finance dead in Vietnam is fooled into marrying a no good jerk. Unlike her sister, Mary Dell marries a good man who allows her to indulge her passion for qu ...more
Julie Barrett
May 20, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
BETWEEN HEAVEN AND TEXAS by Marie Bostwick
I first learned of this book from my mother as she's followed the whole series. I knew it dealt with quilting and that was my pull to this book.
Love the color and all the different fabrics and especially the design of the squares. Loved hearing the story of Mary submitting designs to the quilt magazine and how she was rejected time after time.
This has happened to me as well-not quilting but knitting and crochet so I know the pain. The book encompasses a
Judy
May 21, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
This Book Will Touch Your Heart!

This isn't the first book that I have read by Marie Bostwick and it certainly won't be the last. I loved this book. It is full of real life situations.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Templeton family. Mary Dell and Lydia Dale had the strength and bond that is characteristic of not only sisters but twin sisters. The bond between the two made for a delightful read. Their Momma Taffy was quite a piece of work herself!

This book proved that blood is thicker than water. Toward
Lynetta
May 10, 2014 Lynetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgiveness

I enjoy reading feel good books with the happily ever after endings I imagined. Between Heaven and Texas is not what I imagined nor is it a book I'll soon forget. Mary Dell and Lydia Dale are indelibly etched in my psyche as they will likely be in others who read this book. Their story is a reminder that" we fall down but we get up. "
Mary Dell is an outstanding heroine. What wife, What mother would react any differently when handed the same circumstances as she was. I would like to th
Sandi
Aug 25, 2013 Sandi rated it really liked it
Recommended by a friend (Thanks, Helen) when I started reading I wasn't sure I would like the book at all. But the characters were interesting enough and made me curious enough that I kept reading. Before I knew it I was hooked and couldn't swipe the pages fast enough.

The relationship between the twins and their mother seemed quite realistic to me.

Really the only negative is there isn't a direct sequel I would have loved to read more.
Vickie
Again, Marie Bostwick is a new author for me and I thoroughly enjoyed Between Heaven and Texas. I loved the premise of land belonging to the women in the family...a special needs child...post traumatic stress...and Texas humor!

Bonnie Eldridge-labaff
Sep 22, 2016 Bonnie Eldridge-labaff rated it it was amazing
This being the last book of the series makes me very sad. I truly loved this series of books. Every book intertwined with the book before it. I love finding out how Mary Dell over came so much hardship and heart breaking things in her life and turned things around to make a great life for her and her son. Her family are so strange characters but that is what family usually is, a mixed bag but we stay together through thick and thin
Anita Johnson
May 19, 2013 Anita Johnson rated it really liked it
This was such a good story that I truly hope Marie writes more books, maybe even a series, about Mary Dell Templeton and her family. It is a perfect blend of humor, grit, and family drama and deserves, in my opinion, 4-1/2 stars.
Kelley
May 28, 2013 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A book that delves into the character of Mary Dell? Yes, please! This is one of my favorite characters from Bostwick's series and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her story!
Mandolin
Jul 29, 2013 Mandolin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-inventory
Mary Dell Templeton blew us away with her outrageous style, spunky personality and loyal friendship when we met her in the Cobbled Quilts series. Now, in Between Heaven and Texas, Marie Bostwick takes us back into Mary Dell's past to help us better understand what created this amazing, outspoken woman and the son that she loves so much.

Mary Dell and her twin sister Lydia Dale grew up in Too Much, Texas. The heirs of a large ranch estate which has been uniquely passed down through generations of
Barbara
Apr 17, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this prequel to the Cobbled Court Quilt series. The characters were so charming, yet displayed everyman's problems and emotions. The F-Bar-T ranch outside Too Much, Texas has been passed down to generations of Tudmore women upon their marriage. Now it's owned by twins Lydia Dale and Mary Dell. Both fell in love in high school with brothers Donny and Graydon.

When Graydon was mistakenly reported as killed in action in Vietnam, broken-hearted Lydia Dale eventually caved to the attentions o
Shelly Itkin
Sep 19, 2013 Shelly Itkin rated it it was amazing
Too Much, Texas is a rather small town located abuts 95 mile south east of Dallas, but plenty of interesting things happen in this town.

Mary Dell is getting married but probably not for love or the right reasons but to do the right thing. After marrying Donny and suffering a heartbreaking miscarriage their marriage seems to grown stronger with each year. Unfortunately, Mary Dell will suffer many more in the following years but her and her husbands dream will finally come true with the birth of H
Sharon Chance
Apr 30, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
Author Marie Bostwick is well known for her charming “Cobbled Court Quilts” series. Filled with loveable characters, one stand-out character who has always been popular is the fascinating, if not slightly crazy, Mary Dell Templeton.

In her latest novel, “Between Heaven and Texas,” Bostwick devotes an entire book to Mary Dell and brings the story of her life to the printed page to the delight of readers. And what a story it is!

Employing her brilliant storytelling skills, Marie Bostwick takes her r
Dianna
Apr 02, 2013 Dianna rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-winner
Mary Dell and her twin sister Lydia Dale grew up in Too Much, Texas "where the women are strong and the men are shiftless". Lydia Dale, the perfect beauty queen in her mother's eyes, is dragged to every beauty pageant mom can enter. Mary Dell, spends time with her grandmother, learns to sew and eventually finds that she has a unique talent for quilting.

They both get sidetracked, however, when they meet the Bebee brothers, Graydon and Donny. Mary Dell gets pregnant with Donny's child, reluctantl
Jane
Apr 24, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
This book was about Mary Dell Templeton of Too Much, Texas. She appears occasionally in the author's previous books. Mary Dell and her twin sister Lydia Dale encounter many obstacles, but those obstacles are conveniently solved one way or another. The women of the family are stronger than most of the men (that's supposedly the tradition from the time of the Tudmore woman who founded the town) and are able to accomplish much. The book also talks about the birth of Mary Dell's son, Howard, who has ...more
Denise
Mar 29, 2016 Denise rated it liked it
Sharon
Apr 06, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how this book got onto my "to read" list, because I haven't read any of her other work. This main character apparently appears in another series. In any case, the author has created a true Texas character, complete with personality quirks and odd family members. I enjoyed the interplay of the characters, and I would be interested in seeing where Mary Dell ends up.
Angie
Apr 01, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
i liked this book. it was interesting to see how the characters started in this book and appeared in the series.
Lindie Nanninga
Feb 06, 2014 Lindie Nanninga rated it really liked it
You don't have to be from Texas or a quilter to enjoy this heartwarming and fun book.
Katherine Coble
Absolutely fantastic! A must read.
Kathy
Jun 19, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books in the Cobbled Court Quilts series. Only one of the original characters is featured, Mary Dale, her backstory was interesting and heartwarming. I had a hard time putting the book down. Though the series are stand alone books, I was glad to know her character after her TV career had taken off. This book doesn't tackle her fame, but it beautifully depicts her beginnings.
Millie Russom
May 30, 2017 Millie Russom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.

I loved the twins in this story and am looking forward to the next book, "From here to Home". This had a wonderful ending but left several thing unsettled.
Jennifer Moore
May 17, 2017 Jennifer Moore rated it it was amazing
This is the second novel I've read by Marie Bostwick and I loved it as much as The Second Sister. The characters are endearing and you want to root for Mary Dell.
Lynn
Sep 15, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, series
Wow. This may well end up as one of my top favorites for 2014! So very well written! More action than in Bostwick's other books of the Cobbled Court Quilt series, but the same deep and concise characterization that has held my interest and entertained me so well as I read the whole series, and now the prequel.

Honestly, this woman is an excellent writer, in my opinion. I love the way she tackles such complex interpersonal issues, keeping everything real, yet hopeful. I believe you can see the pr
Etcetorize
Jan 20, 2016 Etcetorize rated it really liked it
I expected this to be just a simple and cute little book about southern women who love to quilt, and it's partly that. But I was surprised that it also went quite a bit deeper and really explored some themes that speak to every woman, quilter or not.

I haven't read any other books in this series but I was able to pick up on the storyline easily. From the author's notes I get the impression that this is the prequel story for one of the pop up characters in the rest of the series.

I liked the openin
Mansfield Public ...: Between Heaven and Texas Review by Sharon Wapen 1 5 Jul 27, 2013 10:57AM
  • The Giving Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #20)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • Lover's Knot
  • The Wishing Tree (Sunset Beach #3)
  • The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society
  • My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Oregon and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
More about Marie Bostwick...

Cobbled Quilt (7 books)
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Quilt #1)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Quilt #2)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Quilt #4)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Quilt #5)
  • Apart at The Seams (Cobbled Quilt, #7)

“and started “speaking the truth in love,” which, as far as Mary Dell was concerned, was just another word for lecturing,” 0 likes
“it is impossible to separate the present and future from the history that precedes it.” 0 likes