Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies

Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Stories of espionage and daring intrigue for young people. A collection of brilliantly told spy stories by writers like W. Somerset Maugham, Edgar Wallace and Eric Ambler, chosen by that master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock.
Published 1966 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies

Fiona
"...we have an ally which is proof against floggings, an ally which no man in the history of the world has been able to defeat. That ally is Truth."

Delving into literature of the 1950s is both amusing and intriguing. Although just over half a century has passed since the Second World War and its aftermath, it really does feel like you're being transported back to another era, almost another world.

Europe is celebrating its recent victory over Germany, and England has once again proved herself
Mark
Nov 19, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Maybe it's my nostalgia talking—I first read Alfred Hitchcock's Sinister Spies when I was about 12—but this book holds up fairly well to re-reading as an adult. It contains ten short spy stories, including one by the well-known spy novelist Eric Ambler and another by W. Somerset Maugham. Eric Ambler's is, unsurprisingly, the best of the lot, but most of the others are rather enjoyable as well, particularly "The Strange Drug of Dr. Caber" and "Code No. 2". The two disappointments here are Maugham ...more
Bill
Aug 16, 2011 Bill rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Of all places, I found this on the bookshelf of a gap year boarding house on a remote island in Vanuatu. It couldn't have been more of a contrast to my surrounding! So I read it.
Carol
Mar 10, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
One of my favorites when I was a kid!
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Dassi
Dassi rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Jazli Lopez
Jazli Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Lew
Lew marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Jaya Bhattacharyya
Jaya Bhattacharyya marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Pat Riley
Pat Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Darren Kirby
Darren Kirby rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Michelle Stalker
Michelle Stalker marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Varthika Mohan
Varthika Mohan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Logan
Logan rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Michael Duggan
Michael Duggan rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Stan Dragosits
Stan Dragosits marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Δεντρολίβανο
Δεντρολίβανο rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Jeremy Hunter
Jeremy Hunter rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2015
Aredhel Alcarin
Aredhel Alcarin rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
David Burkam
David Burkam marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Rowena
Rowena rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...