Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,972 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Our connection to the horse is ancient and visceral. These humble creatures are mentioned in the earliest samplings of the written word, which illustrates how the human/equine bond transcends cultural and economic barriers. The horse’s integral role in man’s evolution, society’s development, and the growth of civilizations is unquestioned; they have been immortalized by Ho ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Chicken Soup for the Soul (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul

H.orses
Jan 05, 2010 H.orses rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, its filled with amazing short stories all about horses, that all happen to be more then true. When I first got it, I powered though most of the stories, each bringing a different emotion. Its a great book to go back to any day, open to a random page, and just start reading. Some will make you cry, some will make you mad, or some will just make you go "awwww" and make you feel weird for talking to a book, but in the end its worth it.
Melissa
So a quick Wikipedia search showed that there are over 200 titles in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Don't worry, I'm not going to review them all, I don't think I could handle that. But I am going to read and review all of the ones on my bookshelf already, so I can justify getting rid of them. This book wasn't actually that bad, it had some decent stories in it.

Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul is about horses (and maybe a mule or two). So obviously if you are not a horse lover, thi
Melinda
Aug 12, 2008 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL horse lovers!!
I got this book for Christmas and haven't been able to put it down! It speaks so true to any horse lovers heart! I makes me so sad that I don't have a horse, but so happy for the people who do and care enough to share their stories with me!
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came into my hands from a bookbox. I was already planning on giving away a large number of horse-themed books for the Becky's Hugs Release Challenge this February, so I thought it might make a good addition to that cause. (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/.... Becky is the daughter of my friend ResQgeek. She was tragically killed when hit by a car while riding her bike. ResQgeek sponsor a release challenge every year in her honor, and also maintains a webpage. Becky's love lives in ...more
Deena
Apr 18, 2011 Deena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved horses and still do and this book, will all the great horse experiences of other people, made me love it even more! If there are any horse lover's out there, I HIGHLY recommend this book for you!
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pets, favorites
I loved this book. I have loved horses my whole life but can't afford to take care of one. This book shows me what I'm missing. Made me cry alot.
Taylor
Mar 09, 2008 Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-books
Great book if you love animals AKA horses.
Short little storys abotu horses and there owners.
Ruby
Jun 23, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I come across a book that fills me with so much emotion! Nearly every story in this book reminded me of at least one of the horses that we’ve had on our own farm at one time or another in my lifetime…from Lucky (our incorrigible little Shetland pony) to April and Willy (our free, seemingly untamable spirits) to Grey (our soft hearted and lovable thoroughbred). I grew up knowing a special love for horses that has only grown stronger in my adulthood. Reading this book brought back a floo ...more
Kayla
Mar 02, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these stories. Some are uplifting, some are sad, some are funny and some are a mix of all of them. There are a few that stick in my mind and some that I will read over and over again. The fact that the stories are from real people make them all the more poignant and real.
Ellie
Sep 14, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would. This is an awesome, inspirational book for any horse owner/rider/lover
Charmaine Lloyd
Sep 07, 2011 Charmaine Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. ~Author Unknown

And since I do not have the pleasure or ability to be around these ethereal animals at this stage of my life, this book does restore the soul by inspiring memories of being a teenager who was fortunate to be accepted and loved and taught by one of the most noble creatures on earth – My dun, Czardas.
The stories contained in the book are tender, funny and true to the nature of horses, and each tale defines the no
Laura Fong
Mar 28, 2014 Laura Fong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this book in my personal collection. A great compilation of horse-related stories that make feel happy overall.
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2016-read
This is a collection of stories about people who own horses and love them. Each chapter is a new story by a new person.

This would be a great read aloud book or one to have in the classroom library. The stories can be inspirational to anyone and everyone despite their experiences with horses. Students might like to journal about their favorite animal story (horse-related or not).

I loved these stories. Some made me cry and others made me laugh. I felt a strong connection with each person sharing
MacKenzie
Apr 26, 2014 MacKenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
Amazing stories, have read it over and over again!
Cindy Linn
May 30, 2016 Cindy Linn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good short stories that are remarkable.
Evelyn Taylor
Nov 18, 2014 Evelyn Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a very good book so far!
Pat Arnold
Jul 12, 2015 Pat Arnold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved all the Chicken Soup books. Heartwarming stories.
Carmen
Jan 13, 2014 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Although I really like horses, this one just didn't do it for me. I found myself daydreaming sometimes.
Feb 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses-country
After a long day of work and college, I love the short but uplifting, inspirational, or sometimes emotionally sad stories about horses and their owners/riders. I have only ridden a horse a couple of times, but through reading this stories I feel like I am closer to understanding this amazing creature.
Juliana
Nov 29, 2012 Juliana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are all very sweet stories and i'm a passionate horse enthusiast and an english rider for 7 years. therefore i wish i saw more english riding stories because most of them were western. still love it though and i always read a few tales here and there.
Rachel
I REALLY loved this book, though it is for horse lovers. I found it very inspirational to all. READ IT! I can't really tell about this book, because it is many short stories, but there are funny little comics in it too.
Tara Lynn
Dec 07, 2008 Tara Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! When Jackie first purchased it for me, I had to take a few weeks to read it, because there were so many parts that made me cry, I couldn't get through all of it at once. A beautifully edited book!
Holly Thompson
Nov 09, 2007 Holly Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. It shares stories and times of hardship and fun. Some of them are very sad and yet some just put a smile on your face. If you are a horse-lover you should read this book.
Emily
May 25, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I have a passion for horses and this was a great book for any horse lover. There were some sad stories thy made me cry but overall, I loved this book!!
Pete
Mar 18, 2015 Pete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse
Stumbled across this book I had loaned. I really liked this book. At times your horse(s) are your best friends as is shown in this great book.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a die hard horse lover I adored these stories from a variety of horse areas. I don't know a girl in my barn who hasn't read it and loved it!
Amelia
Dec 18, 2013 Amelia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-read-again
This was not a vary god story to me, I think it needs more...pizzazz! To be perfectly frank, not a good book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
EquineChick
May 30, 2008 EquineChick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, favorites
This is a fantastic book for any horselover. Great stories about people and their horses and little miracles too. I LOVED it!!!
Brie
Apr 19, 2012 Brie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. I love horses so much it hurts and these stories were all so touching and beautiful :)
Angelica
look at my photo story in class. it is about horses and people loving each other and taking care of each other.
Horse lovers 1 5 Nov 09, 2007 08:35AM
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Shadow Horse
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Chosen by a Horse
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...