Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul: Stories to Inspire and Warm the Hearts of Soon-to-Be Mothers” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  393 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Every year, millions of women wait with anticipation as they watch their test strip change from white to pink, thus beginning the awesome adventure of becoming a mother. This Chicken Soup book will find a place in the loving hearts and anxious minds of expectant mothers (and some fathers, too!).Written by expectant mothers, veteran moms, and fathers-to-be, these stories re ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Chicken Soup for the Soul (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul

Lily
Oct 24, 2007 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
thanks to my friend who gave me this
actually when i read it, it's a little bit too late cause i've already gave birth^_^
anyway, what i like most was the poetry in the beginning of pages

Baby's Choice

Did you ever think, dear Mother,
As the seeds of me you sowed,
As you breathed new life inside of me
And slowly watched me grow,
In all your dreams about me
When you planned me out so well,
When you couldn't wait to have me there
Inside your heart to dwell,

Did you ever think that maybe,
I was planning for yo
Khyati Tewari
Apr 11, 2015 Khyati Tewari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it makes you laugh, it makes you cry...
it makes you feel proud...
it makes you worry, it builds your confidence...
it warns you of the future!

a complete book - in a way, to help you deal with "when you are pregnant"
thoroughly enjoyed reading it - it brought out in me all the right emotions - there were instances which I could relate to - that made the reading all the more fun!
Jatining Siti
Jul 05, 2010 Jatining Siti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Saya merasa beruntung telah membeli buku ini 2 tahun lalu dengan harga miring di Jakarta Book Fair. Meskipun saat itu belinya sekedar iseng karena harganya sedang diskon, ternyata buku ini berguna juga saat sedang benar-benar menjadi 'expectant mother'.

Kalau boleh, saya ingin merekomendasikan buku ini untuk para calon orang tua (calon ibu dan calon ayah), para orang tua baru, dan orang tua lama :)

Membaca buku ini seperti naik roller coaster. Saya bisa tertawa terbahak-bahak sampai menitikkan air
Ashley
Sep 13, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me laugh and made me cry. A good book to read as I'm going through my first pregnancy. Tons of inspirational stories from both women and men sharing highs and lows of their journey.
Steph Hundt
Being that I am a true blue fan of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, I was excited to reach the milestone of being pregnant so I could enjoy these stories. As usual this book did not disappoint. The stories were touching and poignant. I loved that there were stories from a new dad's point of view, an adoptive parent's point of view and of course a mother's point of view. This was the perfect book to read on lunch at work even though more often than not I came back to work with a blotchy fac ...more
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Just what I needed to be reading as I complete the last 2 1/2 weeks of my fifth pregnancy. Uplifting & inspiring.
Alex
Jun 30, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need more heartwarming stories
Nikki
Oct 31, 2009 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pregnant women
Overall I thought this book was okay. I have read others in the chicken soup series that I have enjoyed more. I had higher expectations for this one, since I am so excited about my pregnancy. However, a number of the stories I thought were just so-so. I don't know I guess I thought that I would have been laughing or crying with each story and honestly I was really only touched by a handful of them. The rest were either amusing or just kinda there. I wanted to like them more and kept hoping, but ...more
Jessah
Jun 12, 2016 Jessah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Elysse
Sep 04, 2012 Elysse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed some of these stories, however most of them were cliche parenting stories. I did like that the writers also chose stories from adoptive parents and other complications during pregnancy, although I didn't really learn anything new about pregnancy, I did gain some appreciation that I am and it seems to be going smoothly.
Siti
Dec 06, 2011 Siti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini berkisah mengenai pengalaman-pengalaman kontributornya pada masa-masa kehamilan, prakehamilan, atau pada masa-masa susahnya mendapatkan keturunan yang akhirnya memutuskan untuk mengadopsi anak. Dari buku ini kita bisa mendapatkan bagaimana keluarga-keluarga (yang saya pikir saling menyayangi) dalam usaha mereka mendapatkan buah hati.
Apr 18, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a very strong lean toward people who have had lots of trouble getting to be parents. So, very inspirational in that way. All the stories were adorable. It was neat to have them written from new and 'well seasoned' mothers. The stories brought tears to my eyes more than once.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Given to me and read during my pregnancy. Most stories were pretty lame. However, I adored the Erma Bombeck story. I never would have picked this book up on my own and this will be the last of the Chicken Soup books I read. Not my style.
Linda
Apr 11, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from my sister-in-law when I was pregnant with my first child. It was also the first Chicken Soup book I read! Absolutely loved the stories of anticipation, waiting for your child to be born!
Siti Shafariah
Oct 13, 2015 Siti Shafariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls, women, mothers
buku ini memberi inspirasi buat para gadis, calon ibu, ibu-ibu, yg pengen hamil, yg lagi hamil, yg mau melahirkan, yg lagi punya baby..pokoknya yg berhubungan dengan yg namanya ibu.
Be a mother is a great adventure!
Amanda Pfeifer
Jan 05, 2008 Amanda Pfeifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All expectant mothers
Recommended to Amanda by: my mom
What a lovely group of heart warming short stories. Each story brings a smile to your face, as you realize you are slowly being able to relate to the "motherhood" stories.
Laurel
Mar 03, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books and this is no exception. :-) I read it twice before I had baby #2.
Donna DeBoer
Aug 31, 2011 Donna DeBoer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories of becoming a parent..whether giving birth or adopting.. some made me cry.. :) I am glad I read this book.
Anna
I honestly don't know why I read this book, but I really liked it. The stories really made me want to have a child someday.
Sondang
Sep 15, 2007 Sondang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodbooks
and because of the hormones I guess (yeah, keep blaming on them, girl!), most of the stories brought tears in my eyes.
Jasmin
This is a great book to pick up every once in a while and read a story before going to bed throughout pregnancy
Lisa
Apr 30, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had some good stories that get you even more excited about having a baby. I loved the funny comics in there too.
Mandy
Sep 08, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CAUTION: Do NOT Read When Pregnant!
Will cause multiple tears to fall due to raging hormones!
Debbie Swanson
While it was cute (bought for my expectant daughter) I found it not very helpful for myself:0)
Katemonster23
Sep 21, 2009 Katemonster23 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm over half way done and haven't cried yet. I pride myself on that!
Linsey
Jul 06, 2013 Linsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some stories were touching others I could have passed up. I thought it was ok
Heather
I really enjoyed some of the stories, but it became repetitive after awhile.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2009 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. There's even some good stories for my husband.
Andiana Moedasir
cerita perjuangan beberapa calon ibu...hmm..mengharukan!
Heather
Cure- a bit sexist in some parts
  • The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy
  • When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book For Children Who Live With Anxiety
  • Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping
  • Uncle John's Heavy Duty Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #23)
  • Love Is A Decision
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • A Child is Born
  • How Weaning Happens
  • 100,000 + Baby Names:The Most Complete Baby Name Book
  • Hadiah Terindah (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Raising a Thinking Child
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Couponing for the Beginner: A Guide to Couponing for the Uninitiated
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...