Start by marking “The New Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index--the Dietary Solution for Lifelong Health” as Want to Read:

Published December 10th 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published January 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The New Glucose Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Glucose Revolution

Bruce Gumbert
Sep 13, 2016 Bruce Gumbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you have type 2 diabetes issues then you should read this book. A carb is not a carb and the American Diabetes Association refuses to pay head to the sold research explained in this book that has been around since the early 80's. There are newer editions of the book out there but this is a good start on learning about Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load and what they can do to help you control your blood sugar issues.
David Roberts
May 29, 2013 David Roberts rated it really liked it
The book I read to research this post was The Glucose Revolution which is a very good book which I bought from a local bookstore. This book is about the Glycaemic Index of food and how you can use this information to help you eat a healthy diet. This book contains detailed tables of dietary information for various foods and also has lots of recipes. Even food scientists have difficulty working out the GI of specific foods. You should eat lots of low density foods that fill you up as they provide ...more
Kim
Jul 20, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had no idea that Rice Krispies were so high on the GI. I thought I was doing relatively good by not feeding my kids obviously high sugar cereals like Fruit Loops and Coco Puffs. Apparently not. Having had gestational diabetes the concept of eating low GI foods is appealing to me, hopefully to prevent the onset of Type II Diabetes, and I am constantly trying to improve our family's nutrition. It's also good information for me managing Parker's diet since he can't break down medium chain fats ...more
Kendall
Sep 21, 2011 Kendall rated it really liked it
After reading the "Abs Diet" I was curious to read more about the glycemic index. It assigns a value to pretty much every type of food(w/ carbohydrates) based on how quickly your body can break it down.
For example, fruits/vegetables have a low GI number and thus take longer to digest because they are more complex than simple sugars. And then foods highly processed or made with simple sugars (white bread, candy, etc), which not only breaks down fast leaving you more hungry, but requires a high
David Waller
Oct 15, 2012 David Waller rated it did not like it
Bah!! While it is a great book for understanding the basics of GI, the emphasis on eating so many carbs (especially corn, potatoes and rice) just gagged me. I have never lost any weight eating those particular items. It is possible everyone's body is different to a degree and certain diets work for certain people. Starches have no place in my diet. They blow me up like a hot-air balloon. I stopped reading this book for its lack of worth to my goals.
Shane
Feb 24, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it
This book is a short and concise description of the glycemic index (GI), why it's important, what foods have higher or lower GI, and how you can improve your health by observing a low-GI diet. Since I'm prediabetic, the knowledge is of importance to me, and it explains why my single successful diet worked.
Cindy Dalfovo
Some interesting things, but awfully repetitive and some suggestions that are disputed, like repeating a thousand times to have a low-fat diet.
I discovered a few things about the best foods to keep a steady sugar level on my blood, but I wish they had gone deeper about the effects of sugar.
It could have been a much smaller book, really. I pretty much skipped the recipes section.
Elena
Jun 24, 2011 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poco convincente. Anche le ricette che ci sono in fondo al libro in alcuni punti sembrano andare contro quello che e' stato spiegato. Carote cotte???!! Come mai, se hanno un indice glicemico altissimo una volta cotte? No, no, io suggerisco di leggere il libro di Montignac a chi e' interessato.
Trink J.
Jan 18, 2008 Trink J. added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who eats and wants to stay healthy
Healthy eating (with recipes) to maintain steady glucose levels in blood, stave off hunger and diseases like diabetes and obesity. Gives whole background and touches on specific topics, even how this can be used for children. Tables worth the price along.
Andrea
Sep 25, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This is a good refernce book for people trying to eat foods that have a low GI/GL index. I also liked how it provided simple preperation ideas. The book is set up so you can just locate a food or you can read through the book.
Daryoung
Dec 28, 2010 Daryoung rated it really liked it
Mostly a reference and cookbook, but very thorough in the explanation behind using the glycemic index in food planning. Helpful for anyone planning to be serious about glycemic index eating. I only wish it had more menu plans.
Amy
Aug 09, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Got this off paperback swap when we were working on diet for N...also J has a major family history of diabetes, so we figured the whole family could benefit from the info. The recipes at the end were delightful.
Craig
Mar 13, 2009 Craig rated it really liked it
At the time of reading this book I had been a Type 1 diabetic for about 27 years. I had heard of the low carb diet thing, but thought it was all about weight loss because of the Atkins hype. This book helped me understand food and diet SO much and get better results with my glucose levels.
Eric
Aug 10, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really in-depth, science-based handling of a topic I'd been only peripherally familiar with prior. I read an older edition, but I think I will track down the most recent edition, as cutting-edge nutrition has a way of needing several editions to get things exactly right.
Cherie Kephart
May 14, 2015 Cherie Kephart rated it really liked it
Understanding what we eat and how it affects our health is vital. This book deftly accomplishes this task, giving us food for thought each time we reach for our next meal.
Roberta
Nov 03, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it
I think this book would be better in a non-kindle format...also, the authors jumped around a little too much for my likeing!
Rhingst
Jul 30, 2011 Rhingst rated it really liked it
Just when you think you know how diets are supposed to work . . . new ideas come out. Very helpful if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
Lena
Jan 28, 2008 Lena rated it it was ok
Not really a thrilling read, but did you know that french bread converts to sugar in your bloodstream as quickly as pure glucose syrup?
Sandra
Jul 01, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, weightloss
I'm a dietbook junkie --I buy them in search of solutions.
The GI index is explained in this book, and how to lower sugar levels.

more of a cookbook than I diet how-to.
Lynette Myers
Oct 28, 2010 Lynette Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I even tried a recipe in it that used butternut squash (I don't like squash) and it was AMAZING and tasted like something you would get in a restaurant.
Rainbowgardener
Jan 25, 2016 Rainbowgardener rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
More on how to live a long healthy life. More good science and this one comes with lots of good recipes for how to cook low glycemically. How and why to switch to low GI living.
G Buzel
G Buzel rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Monique
Monique rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Emily3022
Emily3022 rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2009
Jan Walker
Jan Walker rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Celia
Celia rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Janice Spiezio
Janice Spiezio rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide
  • Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life
  • Phantom Lover (43 Light Street, #25)
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book
  • Healthy Aging
  • Father Brown: Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Pretty Delicious: Lean and Lovely Recipes for a Healthy, Happy New You
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • P.S. I Love You
  • Principles for the Gathering of Believers Under the Headship of Jesus Christ
Professor Jennie Brand-Miller (aka Janette Cecile Brand) PhD, FAIFST, FNSA (born 1952) holds a Personal Chair in Human Nutrition in the School of Molecular Biosciences at the University of Sydney. She is best known for her research and publications on the glycemic index, and its role in human health. Her research interests focus on all aspects of carbohydrates—diet and diabetes, the glycemic index ...more
More about Jennie Brand-Miller...