Start by marking “The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word” as Want to Read:
The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word

The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word

What Promises Can You Believe?
In The Promises of God, Dr. R. C. Sproul shows how God—the one true Promise Keeper—always keeps His promises. Drawing from his expansive theological background, Dr. Sproul addresses questions such as these:
·      How do we know that God will fulfill His promises to us?
·      What can we learn about God’s faithfulness as we wait for His promise
Published July 1st 2013 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about The Promises of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promises of God

Sean
Dec 03, 2016 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Well written and takes complicated issues - such as the different covenants - and makes them understandable and accessible to the average reader.
Victor Gentile
Aug 21, 2013 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
R. C. Sproul in his new book, “The Promises Of God” published by David C. Cook shows us Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word .

From the Back Cover: What Promises Can You Believe?

We hear a lot these days about promises. Most of the time, we focus on promises to each other, rather than on God’s promises. But as we all know, human promises fail time and again.

Josh Skinner
Aug 27, 2013 Josh Skinner rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, reformed
This a book for which I have searched a good while. I have looked for a short, concise, clear, accessible introduction to covenant theology. Thanks to RC Sproul's The Promises of God, I have found such a book.

Sproul takes the reader from Creation to Consummation and shows how the covenant is at the heart of Biblical revelation. Sproul spends a chapter (or multiple) on each of the main covenants in Scripture: Redemption, Creation/Works, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New Covenant. He als
Roger Leonhardt
May 25, 2013 Roger Leonhardt rated it really liked it
I have probably read a dozen Sproul books. Some are so good that they would be considered classics; others are good but do not have that extra something. This one is between the two categories but is still a great read.

Here Sproul takes us through the basics of Covenant Theology. The book is not so technical that it is hard to understand. Unlike most books on Covenant Theology, this one is very simple.

In each chapter, Sproul takes us chronologically through each Covenant that God made with man a
Gail Welborn
Aug 21, 2013 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***from a spiritual giant of our time, what God's covenants mean to us today***

Dr. R. C. Sproul elaborates on God’s promises and covenants, what they are, how they differ, why God is known as the “Promise Keeper” and what “agreement God the Father made with Jesus before the beginning of the world” in Promises of God. He begins with why “…the concept of covenant is integral and foundational to...” our lives and times today.

This celebrated theologian, bestselling author, speaker and distinguishe
kathyrn
Jul 26, 2013 kathyrn rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
In The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word R.C. Sproul tells us that nothing could be more foolish than not to trust the promises that God has made to us. He explains in this book the biblical covenants God has made with us His people and how He never breaches or alters these promises.

Each chapter explains one of God's covenants by explaining its origin in Old Testament and how it relates to our redemption by illustrating it thru all three persons of the Trinity. The book is
Michele
The title of this book is a little misleading. It goes through the covenants of God in the Bible starting with Adam and ending with Jesus who ushered in the New Covenant. Although His covenants are technically His promises to us and prove that He does keep His word, I thought the book was going to talk about the promises found throughout scripture, showing me who God is. It is an in-depth Bible study which I also wasn't expecting. I managed to get through it because it is full of truth, but a li ...more
John
Jul 02, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is a short, introductory work to the covenants that God has made with man. It is written to laymen, and does not go into great depth. It has study sections at the end of each short chapter, which would make good discussion points for a group to study together.

Those looking for a good introduction to the covenantal nature of the God's dealings with men, will find this a good place to start. But if you want to dig in deeply, you'll want to look elsewhere.
Kellye
Mar 18, 2015 Kellye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was too complicated theologically for me to really enjoy spiritually. I'm a pretty accomplished reader, but this was a lot of complicated, technical terms with which I wasn't familiar and ideas that I found kind of convoluted. Not my cup of tea, though certainly a book that contains interesting and important information. But I read it as part of my quiet time each morning, and I just felt like I was plodding through jello to get much out of it.
Jeremy Lee
Nov 26, 2014 Jeremy Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good overview of the biblical covenants. I have two issues with the book: 1. The chapters on the New Covenant weren't well written, 2. Sproul assumes without any biblical citation or exegesis that the Old And New Covenant are two administrations of one Covenant of Grace. Once he offers a rational reason for his belief; however, his argument seems circular.
Logan
Dec 14, 2014 Logan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like it was something of a meandering overview of covenant theology. It was good, and in the classic Sproul style, but I found myself wondering who the target audience was exactly.

If it's for learning more about covenant theology, then I actually found the study questions and guide to be one of the best parts of the book.
Donna
Jun 13, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the title of this book, I started it thinking it was going to cover the promises of God. It did, but not in the way I was expecting. It was about God's covenants. It was a good book and I enjoyed reading it, but a better book on the covenants is by Greg Nichols. I am still searching for a good book on God's promises.
Shearon
Sep 08, 2013 Shearon rated it really liked it
R.C. Sproul does a great job expanding the faith horizon in a way that encourages is to actively grow our faith, and our confidence in God. Christians who read this book will definitely be edified and encouraged. Blessed and solid reading, and great insights on faith. It’s full of great examples that left me wanting more. He reminds us that God is very active in our lives and in the world.
Mark
Jan 21, 2017 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for all Believers!

This book is one all believers should read. It is vital to know what God has promised us so that we can live our Faith to the fullest. And, on top of all that we see that God is Faithful to keep His promises!
John
Sep 09, 2014 John rated it really liked it
This was a good overview of the various covenants made by God throughout the Bible. I would only rate it as an overview though. The ending of some chapters caught me off guard, they were so abrupt.
LaGina
Jul 31, 2014 LaGina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really glad that i came across this book. In a time of feeling beat down and no one caring it really lifted me up and gave me hope.
Julie
May 13, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for small group.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Kay Jacobs
Kay Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Al Bedard
Al Bedard rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
frances schluter
frances schluter rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Evan Knies
Evan Knies rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
John Hantz
John Hantz rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Ronald Haygood
Ronald Haygood rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2015
Derick Parfan
Derick Parfan rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Carlos Bernal
Carlos Bernal rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Janet Schneider
Janet Schneider rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
Paul Mills
Paul Mills rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Crucify!: Why the Crowd Killed Jesus
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Otherworld
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • Marriage Matters: Extraordinary Change through Ordinary Moments
  • Charis: God's Scandalous Grace for Us
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...

“We break our promises to one another. We break our promises to God. But God never breaks His promises to us.” 2 likes
“Throughout history, God has demonstrated that He is supremely trustworthy. That’s why, in one sense, nothing could be more foolish than not to trust in the promises of God.” 0 likes