Start by marking “The Night Ranger (John Wells, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Night Ranger (John Wells, #7)

The Night Ranger (John Wells #7)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,182 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
John Wells enters new territory, as he goes underground in East Africa to track four kidnapped Americans and the Somali bandits who snatched them, in the tough, thoughtful, electrifying new novel from the #1 New York Times-bestselling author.
Four friends, recent college graduates, travel to Kenya to work at a giant refugee camp for Somalis. Two men, two women, each with
Published February 12th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Night Ranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Ranger

Emily
Mar 07, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, fiction
I liked this book less than the previous John Wells books, but not because the plot seems "smaller"--I actually liked that Wells isn't saving the entire world for once. The problem he's solving here seems to have a more realistic scale. Instead, I liked the plot, writing, and characterization less than in the previous books. Wells and Shafer communicate almost entirely by cell phone and nothing in this book advances the plot strand about maneuvering within the CIA. The plot also implies a conspi ...more
Liz
Feb 20, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Love this series however TNR wasnt my favorite John Wells outing. Lots of unanswered questions and the ending felt abrupt. The epilogue did not feel like an epilogue to me..just a continuation of the book. I would have loved a confrontation with Thompson that explained the motive for him and Scott. Also, wasnt quite sure what the point of the "make-out" session with the weird lady was all about. Maybe to plant the seed that John doesnt have deep feelings for Anne and the return of Exley is nigh? ...more
Mal Warwick
Aug 24, 2013 Mal Warwick rated it it was amazing
An outstanding thriller set amid the refugee crisis in Kenya and Somalia

The biggest difference between a superior thriller and one that’s just so-so lies in the degree to which the setting and circumstances are inherently interesting — and in the research the author has done to bring them to life in a fully credible manner. Though others may best him in other ways, it’s hard to find a thriller writer who is more diligent or more ingenious at research than Alex Berenson, who is a former New York
Maddy
Apr 24, 2015 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
PROTAGONIST: John Wells, CIA agent
SETTING: Kenya, Somalia
SERIES: #7 of 7
RATING: 3.5

Four friends—Gwen, Hailey, Owen and Scott—have recently graduated from the University of Montana and decide to volunteer to help at a Somali refugee camp located in Kenya which is overseen by Scott’s uncle, James Thompson. The assignment does not meet their idealistic expectations. The Somalians are not at all grateful for their aid, and the work they do is not particularly fulfilling. The exception is something t
Tad
Sep 07, 2015 Tad rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, first-reads
The Night Ranger is the latest John Wells novel by Alex Berenson. Instead of Aghanistan and the Middle East, this time the action takes place in Africa, specifically Kenya and Somalia.

Alex Berenson is one of the rare authors who seem to get better and better each time out. This book is exceptionally well-researched. I felt like I was in Africa. The complexities of both everyday life and the political situation in Africa were clearly conveyed while also being smoothly integrated into the story.

J
Mark Mitchell
Apr 08, 2013 Mark Mitchell rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I've been a fan of John Wells (the protagonist of most of Alex Berenson's novels) for a while, but I found the latest installment in the series disappointing. I've grown accustomed to John Wells saving the world, or at least preventing a major disaster, but in this book his exploits focus on the kidnapping of three aid workers in Africa, none of whom are even terribly likable. It's as if James Bond got involved in breaking up a small-time check-kiting ring in North Dakota. Valuable work, certain ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 08, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Alex Berenson continues to write engrossing thrillers starring the redoubtable John Wells, who is again called upon to find victims of a kidnapping, but in this case, its young teenagers in Africa. Again and again, Berenson has had Wells involved in different corners of the world in interesting plots that do not involve your standard thriller tropes. Night Ranger is no exception.

John Wells receives a call from his son Evan in Montana. Four college kids volunteering in a charitable food relief ef
Jim A
Mar 03, 2013 Jim A rated it really liked it
Another John Wells thriller. I hate to use the cliches associated with reading, "I couldn't put it down", or "A real page turner", but with this book I found myself putting off chores to sit in my chair and read another 50 or so pages instead of doing what needed to be done. That doesn't happen too often to me anymore.

The only negative I have is Berenson left too many loose ends to this story. Some I can understand, he would address them in the next novel. The relationship with his son for exam
Julie
Jan 26, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of the Night Ranger through a First Reads giveaway. I have read one other book written by Alex Berenson. The Night Ranger was an excellent read and I found myself not wanting to put this book down. There was a lot of action and suspense. Unfortunately, I felt that that the book ended rather abruptly and I was left with a lot of questions.
Randy
Apr 12, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing
John Wells gets a call from his estranged son who he hadn't spoken to in ten years. He wants his dad, knowing he's ex-CIA, to rescue four friends, recent college graduates on a peace mission In Kenya, that had disappeared, obviously taken by someone.

Wells had seen it on the news, mostly people had assumed it was a Somolian terrorist group. The four had been part of a relief charity to feed Somalian refugees in Kenya.

Wells goes with little encouragement. Africa is new territory to him, but he qui
Michael
John Wells is asked to rescue four aid workers who have disappeared and are presumed kidnapped from a Somalia refugee camp in Kenya.

The story tells of the plight of the Somalia's and gives a good view of the East Africa area.

Wells is pretty much going it alone and accepted the request to find the aid workers because his son was friends with one of the families and asked him.

The sadness of the captives and the greed of those holding them is very well done.

Good suspense and descriptions with some
Skip
Feb 24, 2013 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Four University of Montana college grads are doing volunteer work in an Africa refugee camp, when they are kidnapped for unknown reasons. John Wells's estranged son calls his father to ask for his help in rescuing them, and seeing a chance to repair a broken family, he heads off to help. Once there, he funds treachery and then has to convince a young African warlord to hand over the hostages by offering money and firepower. Berenson does a good job switching between the hostages, John's rescue e ...more
Kim Moyer
Jan 26, 2013 Kim Moyer rated it really liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Another great book in the John Wells series! It was actually kind of nice having the change of scenery with John heading off to Africa to attempt to rescue the kidnapped aid workers. One thing I really like about the books in this series is that they always seem so well researched and this book was no exception. The details about the turmoil in the regions where John works really make the books and the storyline feel believable.

Can't
James
Aug 11, 2013 James rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
A nice return of form with Berensonwww once again showing the intelligence and allowing for a moral ambiguity that a couple of his past books missed. This time John Wells hauls himself out of bed to go sort out a kidnapping of western aid workers. What ensues is complete nonsense but enjoyable.
Fran
Aug 08, 2013 Fran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reads
Great book, I could not put the book down, it was compelling and completly believable. I can't wait to read the rest of the books by Alex Berenson. Thank you for a fun ride.
Deirdre
Sep 01, 2012 Deirdre rated it it was amazing
Another clever page turner with interesting characters from Berenson. I read it in a day
Joyce
Mar 27, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, adrenaline
I like John Wells more and more with each book, as I learn more about him. He's a man of high morals but also a trained killer. A hero for our time, a just man and, interestingly, a Muslim. Here, he steps in when 4 college grads working for an aid agency in Kenya for Somali refugees are kidnapped, and his son, from whom he has long been estranged, asks him to help. I found interesting his acceptance of the fact that his career has made him into a man who does this work--has to do it perhaps, eve ...more
Rick Fisher
May 15, 2013 Rick Fisher rated it liked it
Shelves: spy-thirller
I have been a huge Alex Berenson fan since his first John Wells novel. They have continued to get better with each new adventure. Until this time.
Unfortunately, by taking the hero out of his natural setting and dropping him into Kenya, the entire feel of the series changed.
There were a few things about the novel I enjoyed. I loved the new communications with son Evan. I only wish there had been more expansion into that story line. Maybe it will continue into the next novel.
I also enjoyed, more
Julie Bloom
Apr 22, 2015 Julie Bloom rated it really liked it
This is the seventh book in the John Wells series and it is just as gripping, well-written, and suspenseful as his first.
Rob Smith
Jul 15, 2015 Rob Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
This is an interesting study of the conditions and complexity of life in parts of Africa at the time of this writing. Berenson layers the chapters throughout the book with narratives of three main characters that really help make this a solid story.

Berenson outdoes himself with dialogue. Most all have a very distinctive voice. He gets the chatty, Valley Girl yapping of a 20-something to a point I could hear her irritating voice in my head. This all helps literally construct extremely strong char
John
Dec 31, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Sometimes when I'm looking for something to read, I just go to the library and wander around. I like being in the company of readers and books in this place of community not dominated by consumption or corporate sales. Every once in a while I get lucky and find a good read without resort to other people's opinion or ratings.

The protagonist is a little out of the ordinary. He is a an ex CIA operative that somehow has embraced Islam. He has the usual James Bourne set of killing skills, but chooses
Sheila
Dec 03, 2014 Sheila rated it did not like it
Everyone Needs Their Own Personal Drone. This seems to be the take-away message of "The NIght Ranger." This time Berenson's hero John Wells (created after 9/11) finds himself in Somalia, saving the asses of some dumb aid workers who've been kidnapped by vicious terrorist bandit thugs. Just to make sure you don't think he is prejudiced, Berenson makes Wells is a Muslim. But, the tall dark handsome Arabic-fluent ex-C.I.A. agent hero is an American above all. That means he can go undercover anywher ...more
Julia
Jun 22, 2014 Julia rated it liked it
The problem with having your friends on Good Reads is that they get to see everything you read. Sometimes I've read - and genuinely loved - a massive tome like The Goldfinch or a Booker Prize winner, and all is good. I can walk round with my head held high. But other times my reading is at the trashier end of the spectrum, the literary equivalent of the fast food fix, and yet out it goes, for everyone to see.

The Night Ranger is the seventh book in Alex Berenson's series about CIA agent John Wel
Bouchra Rebiai
Mar 05, 2014 Bouchra Rebiai rated it really liked it
This was a completely different story, not the usual John-Wells-has-to-save-the-world-or-else plot. Here, it is four young volunteers at a refugee camp in Kenya who have to be saved from a kidnapping, which may have been set up by their own people to earn more insurance money.

(view spoiler)
Ummu
May 23, 2015 Ummu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-wells
Scott deserved to die simply because he's annoying. He see himself as the leader of the 4. He wants everyone to follow him. He talk s**ts. Thinks he is the badass and the coolest guy. OMG! I can't stand him. That's why he don't need to live. And that his uncle, James Thompson, as well as himself, were involved in the kidnapping. In the end, he was shot and his friends were hostages for another militant group. I bet Uncle James is angry that his plan failed: to gain more funds for WorldCares and ...more
Toni Osborne
Jul 17, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing
Book 7, in the John Wells series

This series is wonderful and has stayed strong with idea and action stemming right from the news. This time, John our action hero after tackling bad guys across the world’s conflict zone may seem to be a bit weary but is no less as complex and satisfying protagonist. In “The Night Ranger” he enters new territory and goes underground in East Africa to track four kidnapped aid workers for WorldCares, deal with the thugs and rescue them.

What makes this series excitin
Mike Schneider
Feb 20, 2013 Mike Schneider rated it really liked it
Another in the John Wells series by ALex Berenson, this novel lives up to the high standard set by the earlier novels. This time Wells goes to Kenya and Somalia in an attempt to rescue four volunteer aid workers who have been kidnapped by a Somali "gang". Not as much depth as Berenson usually explores in his work, but a great plot doesn't disappoint his fans.
John
Feb 16, 2013 John rated it liked it
This book seemed to be right on the moment, with kidnappings in Africa, drone strikes, Somali and Kenyan warlords, and the ever indefatigable and superman-like John Wells taking care of what’s gone wrong. I can’t pinpoint why this book seemed not quite as good as the other ones in the series, but any Alex Berenson/John Wells book has been good so far.
Dolphe
Oct 20, 2013 Dolphe rated it liked it
Shelves: alex-berenson
The good news is: John Wells is alive and still kicking butt all over the world. The bad news is: the reader gets a little short changed in this edition. It's not enough to really make that much of a difference; but, to me, the story could have benefited from a more detailed resolution. But who gets everything they want, huh?
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 11, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was ok
Four young American volunteers to a Somalia refugee camp in Kenya are kidnapped. John Wells is asked to locate and rescue the four. Things gets complicated as he discovers hidden motives. I was somewhat disappointed in this one as I don't think that it was up to Berenson's usual standards.
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • Enemy of Mine (Pike Logan, #3)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • Pirate Alley (Tommy Carmellini #5)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
  • On Target (The Gray Man #2)
  • Falcon Seven
  • Sting of the Drone
  • The Devil's Light
  • Hidden Order (Scot Harvath, #12)

John Wells (10 books)
  • The Faithful Spy (John Wells, #1)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • The Midnight House (John Wells, #4)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • The Shadow Patrol (John Wells, #6)
  • The Counterfeit Agent (John Wells, #8)
  • Twelve Days (John Wells, #9)
  • The Wolves (John Wells, #10)