Start by marking “Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends” as Want to Read:
Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends

Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In her first book, Middleton reveals the secrets to hosting a successfulparty with recipes, tips and detailed instructions on how to throw a memorable event. ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Viking Adult (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrate

Samantha
Well, I've seen worse cookbooks. I bought this more out of morbid curiosity than anything. It reads a bit like a recent college grad's blog, with better pictures. All this is to say I'm deeply jealous that I have yet to wrangle my own publishing deal for this sort of thing. That said, it's much, much better than anything Lauren Conrad's written, so let's just call this a win for Pippa.
Tatyana Fisher
Having heard some really negative reviews, I wanted to see for myself what this book is all about. I expected to see a lot of royal family pictures eating at the Middleton house or something of the sort, yet Pippa focused primarily on her friends. Her recipes are simple which is perfect for me, who is a so-so cook. I also learned about some new traditions such as the Burns night. I have already made several of her recipes from scratch and they came out great. She's not pretentious in her book an ...more
Kandice
Oh Pippa! How I long to entertain just like you!
Finally, I have found a beautiful entertaining book complete with THEMES, decor, activities, and games to accompany recipes. I am in love! I highly recommend this masterpiece. I also recommend my husband buying it for me (from the kids) for Mother's Day. Hint hint...
Meg - A Bookish Affair
3.5. Admittedly, I had two reasons for buying this book. First, I love books about entertaining and cooking. I especially like them when they're really pretty books filled with pictures for some visual inspiration. Second, being that I am fascinated by all things British and especially royal things, I was interested to see what the Duchess of Cambridge's sister, Pippa Middleton, would write about. Before this book, I did not know much about Middleton besides the fact that she dresses really well ...more
Pat Cher

Browsed this book out of curiosity and surprised myself by buying it. Celebrate is a combination of well-thought out recipes, crafts and ideas for family fun. It is set with some of the best illustrations and photos I've seen in a book of this genre. Not being British, I was charmed by customs and recipes which were unfamiliar. Some will be added to our own family traditions. One I will try this holiday season is Stir-up Sunday. The book set- up is easy to follow,and centres around the seasons a
Miko
I must admit I purchased this book due to sheer curiosity based on all the negative reviews it has received, and also due to a small fascination with the Royal family. After reading it, I am extremely glad I did! I am very surprised with all the negativity surrounding this book. Yes, some details and tips are rather simple, but also perfect for a first time host or hostess. The book itself is beautiful. Full of stunning pictures and photographs. Pippa's writing style is very enjoyable and carefr ...more
Helen
From what I remember, the critics ripped this book to shreds. Sour grapes, I think. Fair enough, Pippa Middleton no doubt only got a book deal because of who she is - but what was she supposed to do? Turn down the opportunity? I really enjoyed 'Celebrate'. It's split into 4 sections, namely the seasons of the year and gives entertaining ideas for the special events/festivals in each - recipes, games, craft activities, table decorations etc. An inspirational, 'feel-good' book full of great ideas ...more
Kristen
I have to admit, I picked this book up more out of curiosity after seeing comments on how bad it was. I mean, there was even a spoof twitter account that was kind of hilarious. I was not expecting to actually like the book! See what happens when you judge a book by its fake twitter account?! Anyway, a beautiful book on British traditions. Quite a few recipes I bookmarked, a few ideas I'd love to do for my own parties, and overall a lovely, colorful book.
Perhaps I'm alone here but this book could have been terrible/awful and I was pleasantly surprised. I plan to check it out again for birthday celebrations and camping trips. The book lacks focus but has cool ideas for seasonal drinks, kid's games and recipes. A winner.
Jennie
I was curious and wanted to see what all the hype was about. Her family event business has served her well with many creative ideas and recipes listed. The pictures are candid and detailed. Fun, playful and full of colour.
Mjlibrary NDSCS
793.2 M584

Pippa Middleton, of course, is Princess Kate’s younger sister, so you might think this is nothing but a celebrity book. However, the family business is a party-supplier, and she has significant experience organizing events for a London based events company. The book is divided seasonally, starting with Autumn, and covers ordinary things such as lunches and supper parties, along with sections on the larger holidays of each season. There are ideas on decorating, invitations, foods to ser
Ashley Katsuyama
This book is absolutely gorgeous. Full of beautiful pictures (seriously, I can't even fathom how much work went into staging all the different parties and scenes) and encompassing nearly every celebratory event one could think of. I enjoyed reading it so much, but Pippa's style of entertaining is a little more traditional than mine, so I'm not sure how much of the book I necessarily found useful. It could be the whole American/British thing, but the food definitely felt more on the stuffy side i ...more
_kouw
Unexpectedly nice, useful, colourful and fun. The translation (or perhaps the original writing) leaves a bit to be desired, but I found this a very inspirational book.
Vivian
The best use for this book is to press flowers or leaves sandwiched in waxed paper between its pages. It is pretty hefty.

If you happen to be an up-scale urbanite or typically vacation at Martha's Vineyard you might find this book useful for its recipes and suggestions.

Even then, it seems there is a choice to make. Either prepare these meals and parties OR be a wife mom. The other choice is Be a wife mom OR hire someone to prepare these meals and parties.

As for my small-town Idaho library having
Andrea
Haters gonna hate. I loved it.
Susan Horn
Very English:)
Juliet
Good for someone just starting out. Lots of fun ideas and useful tips to go with her themes. The book didn't strike me as very original though. Maybe she was going for a more classic approach to party planning than a fab one that will fade with time? Before this book was due back to the library I tried out the Millionaire's Shortbread. It was easy, very tasty and gone within days. I plan to add this to my Amazon gift list as it was enjoyable to look at and read through.
Mel
I borrowed this from the local library out of curiosity.

I have heard that people are making great fun of this book, but it's quite acceptable for what it is. Having said that, I think the editor really let Pippa down. The same words are used too often in a paragraph, sentences run on, and mundane well-worn ideas are given the same weight as unique ideas. It could have been so much better.
Jen Hull
I know everyone's making fun of this book. And don't get me wrong, it's rather unoriginal. I gave it 3 stars because I'm not the type who has mastered these basics and is ready to up the ante on making festive occasions even more high maintenance. The photography and layout were lovely to see in a book for people trying to practice the basics.
Amber
3.5 stars. Pretty photos, pleasing layout & fonts. It was fun & made me nostalgic looking at all the holidays & festivities. But it was more recipes than I was looking for -- I was hoping it would be more decorations, ideas, games, crafts, etc. Would be lovely as a coffee table book.
Tweller83
Interesting browsing. Of course, picked it up due to her name, not bad as I'm an American and the target market is clearly British people. Didn't try any of the recipes, not that I'm a great cook anyway, but there you have it, a take-it or leave-it title for me.
Katie
I just paged through this one to see what Pippa Middleton wrote about. Beautiful pictures and nice ideas for English craft/food traditions. I do find it hard to believe that she put all this together on her own, without any help from other people.
Nancy
Nicely done British holiday ideas books. Really appealing but common recipes. The gem for me: learning about Burns Night, the Scottish holiday to celebrate the poet. Didn't know about it but what fun! To try: recipe for millionaire's shortbread.
Jennifer Spencer
Because I am a Martha Stewart fan, I found this a little like family fun magazine meets style at home . Some cute ideas which could go either way. I do like her style And can't wait to see how she grows from here.
Anne-marie Ward
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It goes into detail about how to plan parties and events for almost any occasion. I especially liked the Burns night planning. It includes plenty if recipes too.
Meredith
Nothing really new here if you have read anything on the subject at all....might be a nice intro to parties for someone moving out, getting a new home, etc.

The photos are beautiful though.
Charlotte
Lovely photos & funny intro. I read this b/c of the slasher reviews sniffing at it (and, yes, because it was on display at the library!). Only tried one recipe but cd see buying book as a present.
Sara
Dec 02, 2014 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I loved this. It was a great way to get new ideas for traditional holidays to spice things up a bit. It's no literary masterpiece but she accomplishes exactly what she sets out to do!
Diana
A lot of different ideas (British traditions?) but much fancier than I would usually do. I did like some of the ideas for kid birthday games and I tagged a few recipes to save.
Ivelina Petkova
I've received this book as a Christmas present 2012 and it helps me to see the British festive tradition in diferent way than most of all famouse cooks and TV presenters shows us.
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Weelicious Lunches: Think Outside the Lunch Box with More Than 160 Happier Meals
  • I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • What to Cook and How to Cook It
  • Budget Bytes: Over 100 Easy, Delicious Recipes to Slash Your Grocery Bill in Half
  • Homemade Soda
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • New Cottage Style: Decorating Ideas for Casual, Comfortable Living
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
Philippa Charlotte Middleton is an English socialite, and the younger sister of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. A graduate of the University of Edinburgh, she works in the catering and party-planning business.
More about Pippa Middleton...

“Whatever form it takes, camping is earthy, soul enriching and character building, and there can be few such satisfying moments as having your tent pitched and the smoke rising from your campfire as the golden sun sets on the horizon--even if it's just for a fleeting moment before the rain spoils everything.” 5 likes