Start by marking “The Stranger” as Want to Read:
The Stranger

The Stranger (Point Horror)

The moment Nicoletta lays eyes on him, she knows he’s different.

Nicoletta meets the newcomer in art appreciation class. Jethro is brooding, mysterious, and dangerously attractive. She’s so mesmerized by him, she follows him home that afternoon. Or rather, home is where she thinks he’s going—until he walks past the edge of town and slips into the forest.

In the safety of
Published August 7th 2012 by Open Road Media Teen & Tween (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Catriel
I read this book for the first time in like 1997. I loved it at the time, but didn't reread it because it was too sad for me.

Last month I just remembered this story and the strong emotional response I had to reading it. I thought I might've been overreacting to the book because I was like 8, lol. I wanted to find it and see whether my fond memory of the book was deserved or too enthusiastic.

After reading this again, as a grown-ass woman, I think I enjoyed it even more than I did the first time!
Phoe
Feb 28, 2014 Phoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alissa Bach
It weirded me out at 14 and it weirded me out again at 35. Creepy and atmospheric, I remembered specific things about this book, specific imageries, that, as a teen, repelled me as much as drove me to keep reading until the very end and then recommend it to my BFF (who too was creeped out). Strong enough to stay with me for 20 years. The re-read brought it all back. *shiver* And I'm still undecided whether I liked it or just the opposite.
Kyra Dune
The main reason I didn't like this book is because it kind of reminded me of Twilight. There are no vampires or werewolves though, just a boy who is cursed into being a... Well, I'm not really sure what he is. Anyway, the instantly obsessive feelings that Nicolette has for Jethro, are very like Bella's feelings toward Edward. Also, there is a love triangle, but that didn't bother me at all.

The blurb led me to believe I was picking up a light YA horror with some romance, when really it is strict
Jana
Jan 18, 2010 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Talking? thought Nicoletta. I am trying to be heard through hundreds of years of abandonment, and through thousands of tons of rock. I am screaming! I am screaming for the soul of a boy who loved me.
This may, in fact, be my favorite book ever. But it's the one I can't admit to people when they ask what my favorite book is, because it's so gushy and juvenile and embarrassing. Love it all the same, in all its ridiculous angsty teenage glory. (And you can really tell, 'cause my copy is falling apa
Janaya
Oct 16, 2014 Janaya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Whitmarsh malik
Sheesh, this was bad. It was like an even worse version of Twilight, and that's saying something. Characters have no depth and the story/curse wasn't even very interesting. In the meantime, you're stuck reading about teenage "love" between a girl and a "monster" she just laid eyes on. I honestly couldn't care less what happened to any of them by the end of the book. Too bad because I like thriller and horror and young adult fiction too, but this was a bad combination of all of them.
Joanna
Jan 02, 2016 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been the type that judges books by their covers. I should probably stop doing that. If you read the back cover and are expecting a mini horror novel, stop. It's more along the lines of a love story. And a poor one at that.
The books reads pretty quickly and there aren't many slow spots, but the characters are easily detestable. Nicoletta falls way too fast and way too hard for the mystery boy. She's pretty obsessive about it and kinda creepy. Her obsession is more creepy than the fact
Carmen
Feb 21, 2009 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an amazing and surprising romance filled with wonder and the doubtless fact that love can transced every barrier. love it!
PsypherPunk
Ah, Point Horror. Having heard that they were again in publication and ignoring the fact I'm not a teenage girl, I gazed back to the dimly-remembered years when I read my sister's copies and recalled this one in particular. I'll confess I actually have fond memories of this, although the story's a little too close to Twilight for me to be entirely comfortable with that.

There's something about the prose that lends things an almost fairy-tale-like quality. Maybe it's the efficiency of the phrasing
Chad Vincent
Feb 28, 2016 Chad Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this book because there was a lot of excitement. The characters were all close to my age which made it better to read because it was more interesting. The main character named Nicoletta becomes obsessed with a boy named Jethro who has a mysterious life living in a cave. My favorite part of this book when Nicoletta to the cave and he told her about the powers that the cave has. I would recommend this book to people who like suspenseful books.
Julia Wood
Apr 18, 2014 Julia Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Scholastic 'Thriller' junkie! I have dozens of books like this back home that I grew up reading! I love Caroline B Cooney's writing, but don't recall reading any thrillers. I will admit I was a little disappointed with this one on the scare factor, but really enjoyed it otherwise! The idea behind the Stranger was really out of the box and awesome!
Elise R
Sep 05, 2014 Elise R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my FAVORITE book in my tween years. I absolutely loved it. Looking back, it's very much a proto-Twilight/YA paranormal romance, but way less abusive. It even has a heroine named Nicoletta - what more do you want in a teen romance novel? I remember certain parts and lines very vividly. I'd love to go back and give this one a re-try!
Lindsay
Oct 13, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time in 1995 while I was in middle school. It matched perfectly with my young, angsty teenage heart. I have continued to hold onto this book throughout the years. I randomly come across it and have to sit down to read again. It's a quick read but it seems to settle my soul each time.
Penny Landon
I decided to read this book because I was a huge fan of Caroline B. Cooney when I was younger and this was one of her books that I had not read previously. I'm sad to say that I was extrememly disappointed by this book. I think it was meant to be a mixture of romance and sci-fi elements, but really it was just a big mess. Nicoletta's "love" for Jethro was really a joke. They hadn't said more than one sentence to each other before she declaired that she was hopelessly in love with a mysterious ma ...more
Kate
Jan 28, 2014 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is confusing. So many layers and I could not figure out what was underneath. Nothing really happens, and I had a hard time deciphering what was real and what was made up in Nicoletta's mind. There didn't seem to be any reason for anything. Just one drawn-out delirious attraction to a guy who doesn't seem to have a personality at all.
Christie
It was a nice story about love, but the main girl really doesn't know what real love is. She betrays Jethro time and again forcing his hand to destroy himself in the end. It had a very sad twist to it.
Byron Gann
Oh boy, I remember reading this when I was in grade school and really liking it. I wish I could find a copy now and see if I still feel the same or if the nostalgia has worn off.
Melody Savage
Clean, if I remember right. The mystery of it kept me reading, but there were such weird, unbelievable plot elements that it puts itself in the wacky category.
Zara Bite
Mar 12, 2014 Zara Bite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful tragic love story

Loved this book when i was 14, and still do. A better version of Twilight lol, mysterious, elegant and quite gothic/dark too. Great.

Ana Suastegui
really good book. kept me wondering and thinking about whats going to happe n
honestly mem
When I was a wee ten-year old Mem, my love for this book was thoroughly unironic. The damage I dealt to my school library's sole copy as I thumbed through the pages again and again would horrify even the most lenient of librarians, and I imagine more than one child was irritated to discover the final pages wrinkled from the few tears I shed.

Now, of course, I find the emotionally overwrought narration (and as a result, the tragic ending) hysterical more often than not, but in spite of this or per
Violet Jackson
sweet and sad for jethro
Fern
Aug 16, 2012 Fern rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book as a child, and I quickly lost interest and found it slightly odd. Now, nothing much has changed. It is very unrealistic in portraying human characteristics, as the main character quickly 'falls in love' with a boy at first glance, and after spending literally no time at all with him, declares her love. It seems rushed, unbelievable and quite pointless; I have found no meaning from the book and it could have been much longer with a more solid storyline. Not a great b ...more
Shelby
Apr 29, 2011 Shelby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Read this when i was around 12/13. The first book that ever got me interested in science fiction/romance. Recently i read it again and feel in love with it. This is written beautifully, and i love how i can feel the love and romance between Jethro and Nicoletta. (By the way, LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Nicoletta.) I know it seems a little funny, but i don't know, something about it just makes you want to feel like that. But it is tragic and will make you cry. But honestly a great book.
Elizabeth
I totally loved this book. It's still one of my all-time favourite romances, with the poignant ending very well executed. This book was the first Point Horror I ever read as well, and is pretty much responsible for the rapid guzzling of books that was later to ensue. This gives it a special place in my heart and I feel grateful that it inspired such an appetite for reading in me. Just lovely.
Readhead
Dec 11, 2007 Readhead rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror story lovers
Now and then, you read a book that isn't that good, but you are strangely drawn to. This is that book for me. I found it intriguing, and finished the book thinking it wasn't that good, and yet I still liked it. It's an incomplete feeling, and it's weird. I might read it again someday.
Lee
Nov 26, 2015 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I took this book out so many times at my local library in the late 90s and now it has its special spot in the favorites stack. The sadness of The Stranger both shocked and enthralled me. I loved this. I still love it. I should go read it again. :)
Sally
Sep 21, 2012 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe this book wasn't meant for the Point Horror collection because this book was not in the slightest bit scary. However, this didn't put me off and i still managed to enjoy the book even though it wasn't quite what i was looking for.
Erin McCann
Nov 15, 2012 Erin McCann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I... I honestly didn't like this book. At all.
The main character's attitude to her situation just made me want to punch her.
Also, the ending was so dramatic and awful. Jeez, I really don't recommend this book.
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • The Phantom
  • Final Exam
  • The Diary
  • The Yearbook
  • The Ripper
  • Hide and Seek
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV (The Baby-Sitter #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)