Curtain Call (Death Metal, #1)

Curtain Call (Death Metal, #1)

4.74 of 5 stars 4.74  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A promising career in the music industry was on the horizon for up-and-coming heavy metal band, Bloodtones. Even for their non-human members, this is the opportunity of a lifetime!

Yes, life was good… until it took a hellish turn.

Literally!

After a bizarre encounter, Bloodtones' lead-singer Bekka finds herself sharing her body with a slew of terrified beings and in mortal da...more
Kindle Edition, First, 282 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing (first published September 7th 2011)

Janie
I was given this book by the author in return for an honest review.
HOLY HELL!!!! Loved it, loved it loved it. Had me hooked from start to finish, The author of this book allows you to step into it an be one with the character's, so that you feel their fear, hope love etc....
The character's are an unlikely bunch of friends that have to face some gruelling challenges. Exceptionally written this author is wonderfully clever and brilliant. Cannot wait to read more by this author.
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Nathan Squires is an amazingly wired and talented writer.Very impressed with the characters,I liked how they all held my interest and seemed real and likable.That to me is the most important part about a book,keeping your characters real and interesting.

I loved watching Bekka and Brian's relationship evolve.You could feel the closeness yourself,and that's good writing!! Although they went through a lot to get to point of falling in love.The friends they keep company with adds even more to plot...more
L.D. Hutchinson
Meet Bekka, Brian, David, Derek and Will. The Bloodtones. From the first page of the book you're taken straight into there lives as musicians and thrown almost right into the action of the book.
There's not a dull moment in the entire book between the characters themselves and the issues they all had to deal with. The characters felt real to me and the book its self was very well written.
I honestly, can't wait till the sequel to this book is out, I was left wanting more of the story I couldn't...more
JD Nelson
I loved this book! It was so nice to read something a little different than the uber-romantic paranormal fare that I usually read. The characters in this book are very well developed, and likable. The story progressed smoothly. The ending was perfect too. I was really impressed. I'm anxiously awaiting the second installment. Great job!
Carrie
I received this book from Nathan in exchange for an honest review and just want to say," Thank you so much!!"

Bloodtones, an up and coming heavy metal band with dark, haunting lyrics, smokin hot members- a couple who just happen to be of the other-world variety, and a following that just keeps getting bigger, are on their way to where they've always wanted to be. During a slammin concert, Bekka- the lead singer and spirit of the band, catches a few things she never thought possible during a wild...more
Amanda
I want to start by saying how much I loved this book! I am a fan of metal music and mythology, and Death Metal has both in spades! The characters are well developed and their reactions both make sense and keep with the characters’ personalities. Squiers has a wonderful voice and I was hooked from the first chapter. Death Metal has a fresh take on mythology, all of which is explained, not leaving the reader with distracting questions. There is action throughout the book and no dull moments in bet...more
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Feb 21, 2012 Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all genres
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Nathan Squiers (the author himself)
I absolutely LOVED this story!! Death Metal is full of friendship, Paranormal characters, and a heavy metal band who find themselves getting into more than their music. Its a great story and one that recommend to all genres! My favorite parts of the book, were the poems in it and the songs that Becca would be singing! The last poem and the song at the end of the book was my absolute faves! I want to share them here!
HIDDEN
Tear out your eyes.
Cut off your hands.
Believe my lies.
Accept my demands.
You...more
Heidi
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

This story will have you banging your head to a beat of paranormal heavy metal like you are a possessed human! The Author has once again opened the doors to the underworld and shown us just how talented he and his characters are. You won't be just a groupie of the Bloodtones, you are actually one of the band! But when you mix humans, a vampire, a Werewolf and a Magic Man all together on the same stage, anything can happen!

With a new type...more
Lorre
Death Metal is different from the PNR/UF books I've read so far, a good different though!

The setting is 5 young adults who found each other through their love for metal and formed a band. The 2 humans, sorcerer, vampire and werewolf are much more than just bandmembers, but real friends who would do anything for each other. And when Bekka, the female singer of the band, is in danger because something is possessing her those friendships is what's going to keep Bekka alive.

Throughout the story the...more
Autumn
I received this book from the author to give an honest review.

Nathan has once again wrote an amazing story. This is the first I have ever read about a rock band that deals with the paranormal and I truly enjoyed it.

The rock band Bloodtones is not your average band. There is a werewolf named David, a vampire named Will, a sorcerer named Derek and two humans Bekka and Brian. What a very unique set of friends and band mates who are coming up in the death metal scene. With Curtain Call you not only...more
Christoph Fischer
"Curtain call: A Death Metal Novel" by Nathan Squiers is a truly inspired mad rush of a novel. It took me a while to settle into this book which is slightly different from the other work of the author, much of which I have only read recently.
This book contains very strong language but the use of it is necessary, authentic and appropriate in a novel about a death metal band. I hope you are not offended by it because the core of the story is extremely enjoyable. During a concert lead singer Bekka...more
Heather Alexander
I was given this book in return for an honest review. The Bloodtones are a rock band consisting of a motley crue of members. A sorcerer(Derek), a vampire(David), a werewolf(Will) and two humans(Brian and Bekka). At a gig Bekka sees some colored light kind of things floating up by the ceiling and they dive bomb, and enter her. That is where the adventure begins. Wierd things start to happen, lights and equipment blowing up, bottles exploding and very odd people attacking. After sharing with her b...more
Jennifer Warrick Davis
Loved this awesome read! It has twists that only Nathan Squiers could bring to the table. This is the first book I have read that revolves around the paranormal and heavy metal-double win for me. The Bloodtones are far from your normal heavy metal band and find themselves with more issues than trying to score their next gig. I loved each one of the five band members, they are each unique and bring their own twist to the story and the band. Not only do they struggle with trying to become famous,...more
Kim
I have officially decided that I want to be Bekka, even if she is possessed, we all have issues. That said, what I loved most about this story is that it took me away into another place, and I wanted to actually sit down and talk with each of these characters. It takes a special talent to write basically five lead characters and carry out their own unique personalities throughout the entire novel. I grew to love each member of the band, and loved how they all played an integral part to the story...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Ok, so Nathan is up to it again, unlike his newer books, Death Metal is not as dark and twisted but that does not mean it is not dark and twisted. I love the beginning of the mayhem where Bekka first glimpses the shadows. That had me hooked. The story is fast and the heavy metal band was a nice twist from the normal paranormal genre. Would you like the book? Do you like vampires, evil and paranormal, well then yes, you will love this. Do you like a bit of romance on the side? Well then yes you w...more
Lauren
I was gifted a copy of this book by the author. I have to admit seeing the poems in the beginning made me think I was getting into something weird, however Nathan did an amazing job! Great story about a musical band of the supernatural. Not as dark as some of his other works, but still an amazing read!
Carmilla Voiez
I consumed Curtain Call in two frenetic sittings. The novel, bejewelled with poetry, was both easy to read and utterly engaging. The characters felt real and the dialogue superb. I believe Nathan Squiers could become one of my favourite fantasy writers, a master of the genre who offers humour and violence in harmonic balance.
Kris
Dec 21, 2013 Kris added it
I tried to finish this...was unsuccessful. I don't understand why there are such rave reviews both here and on Amazon... I was bored. Couldn't bring myself to care about the characters (and thus became confused who was who and what... Glad I didn't pay for this. Thank you, Kindle Prime access!!!
Vanessa Werkelwut
Vanessa Werkelwut marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Cyprian Karuoro
Cyprian Karuoro marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Aviana
Aviana marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Alexa Tsjuder
Alexa Tsjuder marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
E Martel
E Martel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Carsten
Carsten marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate edition needed please? 1 21 Aug 11, 2012 08:47AM
Can't wait!! 1 1 Aug 02, 2012 08:42PM
Born in Massachusetts in 1986, Nathan Squiers (The Literary Dark Emperor) grew up in Andover, where his affinity for story-telling flourished due to a love of books and movies as well as an overactive imagination. At the age of 13, Nathan and his mother moved to Upstate New York to be closer to their family.

After surviving public school, where he spent most of his days locked away in the AV room w...more
More about Nathan Squiers...
Noir (Crimson Shadow, #1) Wicked Paints (Crimson Shadow, #05) The Fighter (Behind The Vail, #0.5) Victim (Crimson Shadow series) Magic Murderer (Crimson Shadow short)

“Brian came in heavy at that moment on his guitar, the rapid, high-pitched squeal ranging back and forth as his fingers flew along the frets. As the intro's tempo grew more rapid, Bekka heard Derek's subtle bass line as it worked its way in. After another few seconds Will came in, slow at first, but racing along to match the others' pace. When their combined efforts seemed unable to get any heavier, David jumped into the mix.

As the sound got nice and heavy, Bekka began to rock back-and-forth onstage. In front of her, hundreds of metal-lovers began to jump and gyrate to their music. She matched their movements for a moment, enjoying the connection that was being made, before stepping over to the keyboard that had been set up behind her. Sliding her microphone into an attached cradle, she assumed her position and got ready. Right on cue, all the others stopped playing, throwing the auditorium into an abrupt silence. Before the crowd could react, however, Bekka's fingers began to work the keys, issuing a rhythm that was much softer and slower than what had been built up. The audience's violent thrash-dance calmed at that moment and they began to sway in response.

Bekka smiled to herself.

This is what she lived for.”
7 likes