Start by marking “Hangman's Holiday” as Want to Read:
Hangman's Holiday

Hangman's Holiday (Lord Peter Wimsey #9)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  5,422 ratings  ·  89 reviews
A trove of short stories featuring two of the Jazz Age’s most famous sleuths

In the annals of mystery writing,Lord Peter Wimsey and Montague Egg are among the most memorable detectives. Lord Peter—noble by birth, brilliant by nature—is a fly in the ointment of criminals across Britain, turning up whenever the police ask him to lend his quick wit and keen eye to an investiga
Published July 31st 2012 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Hangman's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hangman's Holiday

Jane
Where I got the book: audiobook on Audible. One from the vaults, as I bought it back in 2002 (can I just stop for a minute and praise Audible for keeping my library intact even though I suspended my subscription for several years?)

The fact that this is a pretty old audiobook really shows in the quality, and makes me realize just how much audiobooks have progressed since I started listening to them. My main complaint about this one was the changes in sound quality every so often, and narrator Nad
Arun Divakar
At the onset, I thought of writing a review in my usual way. A sinuous and rather elongated way of saying whether I liked the book. After writing a few lines I hit the backspace button continuously until all of it disappeared. Being totally honest to the narrative which was straight as an arrow, it is way better to cut through the archaic descriptions and call this a damn fine set of stories ! It was my first by Dorothy Sayers and she is a fine writer by all means.

The stories (except two of them
Moira Fogarty
Meh. A collection of Sayers' short stories. Some feature Lord Peter, but most have working-class sleuth Montague Egg solving mysteries and spouting adages from the salesman's handbook. The author obviously had her next book -set in an advertising agency- on the brain as she was penning this.

I find these stories to be small gems of ideas dressed up as short fiction. It feels as though Sayers came up with an ending and then wrote her way back to the beginning of many of these miniature mysteries.
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2008 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Tina
Shelves: reading-wimsey
Katie

Errr, not what I expected as only 4 out of 12 of these stories involve Peter! Then there are six with Montague Egg, who Google tells me Sayers used in several short stories, and 2 just completely stand alone.

I actually liked the Montague Egg stories best. So many of these Peter short stories seem experimental, like these ones verged on horror. And that just doesn't seem to fit in with the main series. It feels almost like reading about a different character leading not-quite the same li
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The copy of this audiobook that I borrowed was damaged, so I missed out on a couple of the stories. In any case, there is a broader spectrum in this collection of shorts than in the previous Sayers compilations, which was a good thing, and demonstrated her versatility; from the tiresome Montague Egg with his constant quotes from the apocryphal Salesman's Handbook (sorry, the Egg is addled IMO), through the typical Wimsey-as-boy-wonder (I love Lord Peter, but not in his short-story Deus Ex Machin ...more
Valerie
This is the Avon edition, and it suffers from the common problems of Avon books: it's not very durable, it's not on acid-free paper, and there are quite a few typos. But it is a hard copy of a book that's no longer in print.

I was terribly disappointed by learning what's in this book. I knew there were some Sayers anthologies that involved non-crimes, or that involved crimes that were not 'capital' crimes. I'd hoped those were the stories that were in this volume, on the principle that it was a '
Yvann S
This collection of 12 short stories, predominantly featuring Lord Peter Wimsey and Montague Egg, are a gentle introduction to Ms. Sayers’ writing. Each is neatly self-contained and the answer revealed in a gentlemanly flourish without arrogance (such as that of M. Poirot).

I’ve not read any Sayers before, but after Alex was raving about a Wimsey mystery, this little collection was just right. The short stories are a bit shorter (12 in 256 pages) than the set of Christie short stories I reviewed,
Angela
And for a hard change of pace from the previous book, I jumped over to Dorothy L. Sayers' Hangman's Holiday, an old short story collection featuring several shorter pieces about the redoubtable Lord Peter Wimsey as well as her lesser-known amateur sleuth, Montague Egg.

I continue to like Sayers' novels better than her short pieces, and I definitely prefer novels when it comes to mysteries in general; with short pieces it often seems like you have only enough time for the crime and then the immedi
Steph M
Read this book as a result of my going through and reading the Wimsey series. It's a compilation of short stories; and the Wimsey ones are alright, though on their own I probably would have given this book a 2-star rating.

However, this particular book contains a second set of stories starring Montague Egg, a wine & spirits salesman who assists in the police in the course of his sales trips. These stories were quite enjoyable (though one of them required a much more hands-on knowledge of betw
Lydia
Another enjoyable short story collection from Sayers. Unlike Lord Peter Views the Body, this collection has some stories focused on Sayers' other detective, Montgomery Egg, as well as some random short stories featuring neither of these sleuths. (The Image in the Mirror, The Incredible Elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey, The Queen's Square and The Necklace of Pearls are all L.P.W. mysteries; The Poisoned Dow '08, Sleuths on the Scent, Murder in the Morning, One Too Many, Murder at Pentecost and Mahe ...more
Joanna
This isn't actually a Wimsey book. It's a collection of short mystery stories, two of which have Wimsey in them. Most of them are about Monty Egg. Enjoyable, but a little more scattered.
Miriam
Now that I've started I remember reading this collection in high school. The stories so far are weirder than her norm -- almost Father Brown-ish.
sage
Extremely short and wildly uneven. Interesting to see how her non-Wimsey stories compare. Very interesting to see her dip a toe into the early 20th century horror genre. She captures ghastly almost too well. Also, there's an interesting bit of meta on "one of those mystery novels" that rips it apart on exactly the lines of what bugged me about Have His Carcase. Makes me suspect DLS was srsly blocked in this era and sending any damned thing to the publisher while struggling to put another good no ...more
Ana
Este é um livro de curtos contos policiais, num total de doze, que me proporcionaram umas horas de razoável entretenimento. Os títulos dos contos são os que se seguem:

1º conto: "A Imagem no Espelho"
2º conto: "A Incrível Evasão de Lorde Peter Winsey"
3º conto: "A Casa da Rainha"
4º conto: "O Colar de Pérolas"
5º conto: "A Bebida Envenenada"
6º conto: "Faro de Cão"
7º conto: "Crime Pela Manhã"
8º conto: "Um é Demais"
9º conto: "Crime no Pentecostes"
10º conto: "Maher-Shalal-Hashbaz"
11º conto: "O Homem que
Abbey
1933, 12 short stories: 4 Lord Peter, 6 Montague Egg, 2 misc; entertaining anthology, but generally speaking these are not Sayers' best stories, three-and-one-half stars

A nice, comfortable book of slightly twisted, nicely wrought stories, all mysterious and/or suspenseful in nature, with decent pacing and careful plotting. I had read all the Lord Peter stories several times perviously; all of them are among my favorite short stories, especially "The incredible elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey", wh
Bev
Back to Dorothy L Sayers for a quick and comfortable read. I'm still working my way through her Lord Peter Wimsey stories for the As My Whimsy Takes Me Reading Challenge. Hangman's Holiday is a mixed bag collection of Sayers' short stories. We are offered four LPW shorts, six stories featuring Montague Egg (traveling salesman for Plummet & Rose, Wine & Spirts), and two stand-alone stories. My second (or third or whatever) go round on the stories wasn't quite as exciting as I recall my in ...more
Judy
Twelve short stories published in 1933 and ten of them feature either Lord Peter Wimsey or Montague Egg. Lord Peter Wimsey is a free spirit member of the aristocracy who assists the police in a variety of investigations and Montague Egg is a traveling salesman who in making his rounds selling wine unfortunately becomes involved in cases of murder instead of claret or port. Very enjoyable stories and a good introduction to Dorothy L. Sayers.
Claire Smith
Short, sharp, and occasionally sweet. The Montague Egg stories are worth reading alone, for their old-fashioned little salesman's proverbs, and a less theatrical amateur detective.

Not always a happy ending in these either, but they're certainly no worse for that.
Kate
This is a collection of short stories. The first several are Wimsey mysteries, and they will be familiar to anyone who has read the complete collection of Wimsey mysteries. The second collection are Montague Egg stories, about a traveling salesman who sees when things are out of place, and quotes a Salesman's handbook. (I always picture Montague Egg as a slightly older, balding man, but I'm always wrong because he is a younger, vigorous man with blond hair.) There are also two unconnected myster ...more
Kaethe
A quick, satisfying read, from the time when all novelists also wrote stories. A few star Wimsey, a couple star Montague Egg, commercial traveler, and a few stand alone, including one of the best. Just the thing for those who aren't sure if they'll enjoy Sayers, or for readers who need a brief diversion.

Personal copy.
Erinevans
The strength in Sayers lies in her characterization and prose, and not as much in the plot and mystery solutions. Short stories are ill-suited, then, as they offer too much of the latter and too little of the former. I was also not a fan of Montague Egg, a character in about half of these stories.
Georgene
Sep 09, 2014 Georgene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Georgene by: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: mystery
A delightful collection of short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers. Some feature Lord Peter Wimsey, others feature Montague Egg with a couple of non-serial stories. An interesting and fast read.
Sarah Asarnow
Definitely the creepiest so far, with the added fun of Montague Egg's quotations from the "Salesman's Handbook." Wimsey goes about rescuing various peoples with aplomb, my favorite being "The Incredible Elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey," both Wimsey stories having a decidedly biological tendency.

*SPOILER ALERT*

The final two were interesting, being from the point of view of men driven to murder, rather than those solving it. Entirely worth the read (or in this case, listen) for Wimsey's holy man/ma
Zana
Dorothy Sayers in short story form! The perfect thing to read just before going to bed; interesting enough to settle my mind, but over in a handful of pages.

It does mean that there is a new dead body every few pages, and after a bit it begins to feel like there is a dead body behind every hedge and in every drawing room in all of England.

Montague Egg suffers as a character because of this; taken separately, his stories are fun. Taken together, you begin to wonder why a wine & spirits salesma
ladydusk
Library.

I enjoyed this book of short stories much more than the last. I think I knew it was short stories ahead of time, which helped. Also, I would read a story, then put the book down and work on the sand castle, then read a story, then walk in the water, then read a story ... Ah, the beach was the great distracter :)

I liked these stories better, too. The story about the Dr. who took his wife to Spain; the masquerade. I even liked Montague Egg and his stories. The last two stories were interes
Ryan
I enjoy the Lord Peter stories - there are better, but I think the worst Lord Peter is better than most. The Montague Egg stuff - not so much. He reminds a bit too much of Poiroit, if Poiroit were a traveling salesman.
Lisa Buie-Collard
Love the Lord Peter Wimsey stories in this. Liked the Montague Egg all right, but they don't compare to LPW. If you like short and sweet mysteries, this is for you!
Joy
Short stories, mostly featuring Sayers' predominant heroes Lord Peter Wimsey and Montague Egg. To me they were mostly fine, but there were two standouts.
In "The Incredible Elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey," Lord Peter comes to the aid of Professor Langley, who has discovered his former beloved in a degenerated condition, sequestered in Pyrenees with her physician husband. The gruesomeness of the story benefits from an intelligent drama.
"The Man Who Knew How" features neither detective, and like th
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Clever, witty little tales, although the first two either reflect poor research or are rendered implausible by subsequent advances in medical knowledge. Some stories are little more than a puzzle set and solved, other sparkle with great set pieces and character studies. About half are about Peter Wimsey, another handful about the travelling salesman and shrew observer f life's trifles, Montague Egg and there are a couple of one-offs in the end. Some of the stories explore ground that was later c ...more
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers (Oxford, 13 June 1893 – Witham, 17 December 1957) was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herse
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...

Lord Peter Wimsey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #4)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #6)
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)
Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1) Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #6) Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3) Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10) Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)

“And it's so pretty and secluded," went on Mrs. Digby, "with these
glorious rhododendrons. Look how pretty they are, all sprayed with the
water--like fairy jewels--and the rustic seat against those dark
cypresses at the back. Really Italian. And the scent of the lilac is so
marvellous!"

Mr. Spiller knew that the cypresses were, in fact, yews, but he did not
correct her. A little ignorance was becoming in a woman.”
0 likes