Start by marking “The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)

The Elementals (The Vespertine #3)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In 1917, war spells the death of one age in Europe; the rise of motion pictures heralds the birth of a new one in America. Caught between both are two extraordinary souls, bound by destiny.

Kate Witherspoon has lived a bohemian life with her artist parents, and she’s infused with their wanton disregard for social norms. She’s determined to become a film director, and she d
Published June 4th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Elementals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elementals

Adaptation by Malinda LoGrasshopper Jungle by Andrew  SmithInheritance by Malinda LoBoyfriends with Girlfriends by Alex SanchezFar From You by Tess Sharpe
Bisexual Fiction in YA
27th out of 115 books — 67 voters
Adaptation by Malinda LoEmpress of the World by Sara RyanOrlando by Virginia WoolfFar From You by Tess SharpeThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Bisexual Characters!
15th out of 88 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan
This teen historical paranormal fiction, the last book of the Vespertine trilogy, is published by HMH Books for Young Readers. It gets an extra star for some bisexual affectional content, pretty daring for the age group of 12 and up, though there's no actual sex and the word "bisexual" is never spoken.

This felt more like a sketch for a novel than an actual novel. By the time all the various characters were outlined, the action was already finishing up. I couldn’t believe it was the end already,
Kasey
So I have to start this review out by saying that I’ve truly enjoyed Saundra Mitchell’s writing. I’ve read all the books in her The Vespertine series, and was immediately sucked into the world that she created with Amelia and Zora. However, that being said this book was somewhat of a disappointment. There were many things that I enjoyed and loved about The Elementals, but there were also certain aspects that I felt detracted from the story. Let me start by telling you what I did enjoy.

The writin
Jessica
This is a companion novel to THE VESPERTINE and THE SPRINGSWEET, in which our previous heroines' children - also gifted with elemental magic – meet in LA during World War I, with disastrous consequences. I loved seeing how life played out for both of our previous couples. Nathaniel and Amelia have become a bit insufferable in their privileged flights around the globe, but Emerson and Zora have become one of my favorite book couples with all their laughter and hard work and passion for one anothe ...more
Liviania
I enjoyed Saundra Mitchell's debut SHADOWED SUMMER, and I've always meant to read her new books but never quite managed. Thus I haven't read THE VESPERTINE or THE SPRINGSWEET, the companions to THE ELEMENTALS.

I've been told the first two books stand very well on their own, but I wish I had read them before reading THE ELEMENTALS. There is a reasonable amount of background, but the villain is entirely motivated by events that happened in one of the earlier books, which I could merely make educate
Kate
I am really, really, really crushingly disappointed right now. And for the moment the only thing I can think to say is that.

It's been a bit, and every time I think about this book I get more and more sad/angry. My biggest complaint is that this book was much, much, much too short. Too many things were happening for it to make any sense. In the first two books in this series, we were limited in our point of view to our heroines, so the brevity could work. Here, we're divided between our heroine
kelllsify
To be honest, I read this book such a long time ago (maybe not too long ago) that I really don’t remember what happened but the ending.

The ending was fucking fantastic. It almost made me cry! It made me think about the meaning of life. It made me appreciate love (that was before I knew what love was).

The ending was so good that it made me change my mind about the book as a whole.

I’m happy that Mitchell’s writing improved so much since that ugly first book.

Are you an interior decorator? 'C
Austyn Hine
The writing was nice, as always. But...the book just didn't do it for me. I liked some of the characters enough (though I mostly felt indifferent at best), but the pacing was all wrong. I found myself skimming through the first 3/4s of the book. I wish Saundra had made that last bit into the last half. And honestly, I would have much preferred a book soley about the parents to this.

I will say I applaud Mitchell for basically writing a bisexual character and not making it her defining point. It
Jules Goud
I was totally not ready for that ending. I didn't see that coming.

Here we get to see the effect that the elements have on Zora's and Amelia's children. You see what happens when two people with element powers have children.

I liked Kate and Julian's story. I thought that it was very different from that of their parents. We get to see how they go out and try to make a life for themselves outside of their parents's homes. They try their hand at jobs and even at love.

I hate to say it, but I don't l
Carmen
Aug 30, 2012 Carmen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I kinda liked the title Aetherborne better.....

And I like the cover of The Springsweet better.

Oh well. This cover seems much dark and mysterious, so let's see what it offers.
Tom Bombadil
Ooooh, nice cover! (could do without the weird lens flare tho)
Danielle

I was excited to read this because I wanted to see where the story was going to go for Amelia, Nathaniel, Zora and Emerson’s children. During this trilogy, I enjoyed how the elements were magic for these characters. We got to see them come together, fall in love and finally start a family. In the beginning, we saw friends coming together for a night. Years later, when they had their children, we saw their powers, making a show for the first time at a young age. Then, both being almost eighteen,
Molli Moran
See more of my reviews at Once Upon a Prologue!

From the first Saundra Mitchell book I read (The Vespertine), on to the second (The Springsweet), and now the third and final book in her trilogy, The Elementals, one thing remains constant. I am in awe of Saundra’s ability to write words that read like magic. I fell in love with her writing, and with her characters in The Vespertine, and although I did have some issues with The Elementals, I enjoyed revisiting old favorites and meeting new beloved
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? I've always liked that you can never fully see the character impersonators' faces on the Vespertine Trilogy books, and that remains true with this one. I like the simplicity of it and the photograph feel it has.

Characters: Out of all of the characters in this entire trilogy; out of all of the protagonists in this entire trilogy, Kate Witherspoon is not my favorite. That doesn't mean I didn't like her, because I did a bit. She wasn't an awful protagonist; it's just out of
Ramie
When I selected this book, it wasn’t really clear that this was part of a series, one which I haven’t read. Luckily for me I didn’t realize that until I’d already started reading it and it didn’t matter.

This was the entire description I read before requesting it: “Kate Witherspoon has lived a bohemian life with her artist parents. In 1917, the new art form of the motion picture is changing entertainment—and Kate is determined to become a director.
Meanwhile, midwestern farm boy Julian Birch has
Carina Olsen
It feels like I just read The Vespertine and The Springsweet. But it's been many months. Been dying for this third and final book ever since then. While it doesn't come out until June 2013, I was lucky enough to get an review copy of it from the publisher via NetGalley. <3 And I'm so happy about that. My review won't be spoilery, but you probably shouldn't read it unless you have read the first two books in this series. Which you really must.

I have read a lot of great books. And this series i
Stacey
I loved "The Vespertine" and "The Springsweet". They were everything I ever wanted in a novel. I loved the setting and the characters. I enjoyed that although there were supernatural elements to each of the first two novels, they were about so much more. Saundra Mitchell's writing is lovely and engaging. I was swept into her world in each book.

I was thrilled about the final book being released and have anticipated it for ages. I was eager to read about the children of the heroines of the first t
Melissa
The first book in this series is The Springsweet and it is my favorite of all three. It tells the story of Zora and Emerson and it was perfect:} Then there is The Vespertine that answers a lot of the questions I had about Springsweet and tells the story of Zora and Amelia's friendship and Amelia and Nathaniel's love. It was also a very good book. The Elementals at first gives you a look at them together one last time before splitting apart to their separate worlds. Zora to the farm and Amelia to ...more
Jo Ann Mulligan
Cairn
Mmmmmm.... not sure how I fell about this book. There was so much unexplained and strange things going on. I didn't see much of a plot happening besides the romance between the girl and guy which was almost nonexistent until the last few chapters. I didn't like Kate, but I loved Julian. There were some poetic lines and phrases here and there that were sort of cool, but otherwise everything was just kind of vague and random. Definitely not the ending I was expecting in this trilogy considering ho ...more
Jenna
I picked this up without realizing it was the last in a trilogy....to me, it read more like a first book than a last. I was left feeling pretty unfulfilled, but the characters and story were interesting enough for a quick read. Not so compelling, however, that I feel any need to read the first two.
Wendy
I didn't realize this was third in a series, so obviously I didn't get all the subtleties. I liked it quite well and I've come to expect Saundra Mitchell to be bold about characters and plot twists--but the ending is pretty strange for anyone.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A bittersweet ending to a captivating series. I hate saying goodbye to series I've come to love. This is one series I feel like I've gotten to personally know over the course of Saundra writing it, and I didn't want it to end just yet, though I do love the way this book wrapped up everything up. It has closure, and yet it's a little open ended due to the fact it makes me hopeful with all that happens. Not to mention all my favorite characters are back together, as this story is about their child ...more
Leanne
As much as I liked this book, and all the characters, I feel like a) I wouldn't have liked it near as much had I not read the first two and b) had I read this first, I might only be half-assedly inspired to read the first book, about Amelia. Certainly not The Springsweet, about Zora. Which is sad because Zora was my favorite character by a mile in the first two books.
Celeste
I liked book 2 the best out of this trilogy. Book one wasn't written very well and this book, book 3, I didn't like Kate, one of the main characters. I need a satisfying ending, and I didn't like this ending. I loved Julian the boy main character, but I dreaded every time the book flipped to the girl main character-I didn't understand her motivation.
Jacqueline
Maybe it's because I just read The Springsweet, but The Elementals was not nearly as good. I didn't like that it was narrated in the third person from so many different people's perspectives. I also felt like there wasn't as much development of the plot as there could have been. The ending was sweet in a way, but not particularly satisfying.
Kirsten
I really loved all the books in this series. I even loved this one, up until the last few chapters. And then...it ended. It just...ended. The end of the book was so ludicrous, and left so much unexplained...I really did not like the end. I loved the rest of the book, though! I tore through it in a day. But the end. Was. Not. Good.
Rachel
Maggie
I ADORE Saundra Mitchell's writing. This book had beautiful writing, excellent characterization, and an interesting plot. I just feel a bit weird about the ending. I'm not sure that that's how I would've foreseen this trilogy ending. I still enjoyed reading it overall, and I would totally read more by Saundra.
  • Renegade (Ripper, #2)
  • The Seven Year King (The Faerie Ring, #3)
  • A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy, #3)
  • Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)
  • The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
  • Afterglow (Wildefire, #3)
  • Counting Tens (Fenestra, #4)
  • The Stone Demon (The Iron Witch, #3)
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart (Magic Most Foul, #2)
  • Fangtabulous (Vamped, #4)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Delusion
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • Charmed Vengeance (The Aether Chronicles, #2)
  • Timekeeper (Timeless, #2)
  • The Impossibility of Tomorrow (Incarnation, #2)
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
Saundra Mitchell is a longtime screenwriter and author. Random House's Delacorte Press published her debut novel, Shadowed Summer, on February 10th, 2009. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's will publish her next novel, The Vespertine in Spring 2011, with its companion novel, The Springsweet, following in Spring 2012.

For almost ten years, she was the sole screenwriter for the Book of Stories, On
More about Saundra Mitchell...

The Vespertine (3 books)
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1) Shadowed Summer The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2) Mistwalker Defy the Dark