Start by marking “The Way of the Wiseguy: True Stories from the FBI's Most Famous Undercover Agent” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  22 reviews
New in paperback with a 60-minute audio CD featuring dramatic FBI surveillance from the Donnie Brasco operation which was used in court to put 120 Mafia members in jail, here’s the first nonfiction work from Joe Pistone since his New York Times #1 bestseller and hit movie, Donnie Brasco. Perhaps no man alive knows the lifestyle of wiseguys better than Pistone does, having ...more
Published April 13th 2005 by Running Press (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Wiseguy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Wiseguy

Belmanoir
This book rocked. And with chapter headings like "Why Wiseguys Never Lose a Fight" and "Wiseguys Never Make Reservations," how could it not? It explained a lot of nitty-gritty about mob life, some of it hilarious (apparently it's called "going to the mattresses" because all the wiseguys live together during mob wars, sleeping on mattresses on the floor! It's like mafia sleepaway camp! And they designate someone to cook! Apparently preparing a good tomato sauce is a badge of honor among wiseguys) ...more
Daniel Brown
Wow, very insightful. I've seen the movie Donnie Brasco and this definitely gives good background to it.
Shelley
I picked up this book randomly while walking through the Non-Fiction section at the library. I enjoyed the Donnie Brasco movie, as well as other Mafia movies. I liked the way the book was set up, and found it to be quick, fun reading. I also find it very impressive that the author was able to infiltrate the Mafia so well, especially after reading a lot of the traditions and feelings of members of the Mafia in the book.
Micky Livingston
Having seen the movie, I wanted to follow up with the writings and was equally impressed with the similarities between the two. Joe does a great job explaining how he was able to integrate so long and so well with the organization. Being a fiction writer of that time in American History I couldn't put the book down. Highly recommend if you are enjoy reading about the good that came from the bad.
Jeremiah Gwynn
I read this on my Android Kindle app. I was surprised when I went to turn the page and discovered I was already at the end of the book. It was a very quick read, and not because it was good. It seemed like a poor effort by the author. There's really not much to this book, unfortunately. There are some good nuggets and interesting facts, but overall not great.
Lonnie
Sep 21, 2007 Lonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true crime afficionados
Sometimes humorous, sometimes frightening description of mob life and mobsters that will disenchant those who may romanticize that lifestyle. It is a quick, easy read with short chapters that are headed with a statement such as "Wiseguys are Cheap" and proceeds to explain why the statement is true through example and recollection. Very entertaining.
Richard Robertson
Anyone who has seen and enjoyed Donnie Brasco will love this book. It is written by the FBI agent Joseph Pistone would went undercover as Donnie Brasco. He teaches everything about what it's like to be in the mafia and the attitudes behind such a lifestyle.
Mark Kricheff
By the former FBI undercover aka Donnie Brasco, this self-aggrandizing, poorly written book tells what it’s like to live as a member of the mafia. Absolutely nothing you haven’t learned from Goodfellas and The Godfather Trilogy movies.
Rob
Dec 16, 2007 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime nuts
Shelves: misc
Great read for new readers of the crime world. A detailed account of what makes up some of the ruthless killers that Donnie Brasco worked with, it outlines what drives these men to the life that they lived and died with.
Rakesh
A nice and interesting book about the Mafia and the guys who call them as Wiseguys. People who are keen to know about Mafia must read this book as it is by someone who has done a great job...
Damien
Book was very redundant. Had a lot of good insite to the Mob World, but was written as if it were a text book or cook book. I was very disappointed with the book.
Jared Shipley
Fascinating insight into what real wiseguys do and how they do it. Book is awesome, but the real treat is the FBI Audio Surveillance CD it comes with.
Colleen Mattatall
this was a neat book written half by an author and half by a mobster. It's a ficton about the mafia. If you like mobster stuff, you'll like this!
Torres Alberta
This book is awesome!! I swear in my other life my family belonged to the mob ! I couldn't put it down I recommend it to everyone!
Ko
This book is no Donnie Brasco. The information is for whomever is new to the Mafia and has never read any other Mafia books.
Connie
Fascinating insights into real life of mafia wise guys, from one who knows...Donnie Brasko
A fun afternoon read for a girl who is fascinated with the Mob.
Duncan
Rehash of the first book. He's back for more cash I guess.
Tom Mueller
Memoirs of Donnie Braso [aka Joseph Pistone:].
Raul
Cute and cheesy, not bad for a rat!
Punk
Feb 18, 2008 Punk marked it as find-and-read
5 stars from Belmanoir.
Tony
Jun 13, 2009 Tony added it
skip it, if you read Donnie Brasco then you will learn nothing from this book.
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Miguel Rubio
Miguel Rubio marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Carlisle
Carlisle marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • The Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia
  • Donnie Brasco
  • Yellow Green Beret: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces: 1
  • Mary's Mosaic: Mary Pinchot Meyer & John F. Kennedy and Their Vision for World Peace
  • The Underboss: The Rise and Fall of a Mafia Family
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • Tough Jews: Fathers, Sons, and Gangster Dreams
  • All in All: An Actor's Life On and Off the Stage
Donnie Brasco Deep Cover: A Donnie Brasco Novel Mobbed Up: A Donnie Brasco Novel Snake Eyes:: A Donnie Brasco Novel DONNIE BRASCO: DEEP COVER