Start by marking “Jin Village” as Want to Read:
Jin Village

Jin Village

Where only terror lives!

For generations, the inhabitants of the remote Jin Village in China had almost no contact with the outside world. Nearby villages whispered of murder and odd disappearances. Then the Jin villagers vanished.

Now, one hundred years later, American historian Malcolm Wang and a team of archaeologists arrive at Jin Village to excavate the ruins. They unco
Published January 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jin Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jin Village

Rebecca McNutt
Sep 18, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Jin Village pulls readers into a remote area in China where nothing is as it seems. Detailed, riveting and unique, this horror novel is definitely worth reading.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
May 25, 2013 Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK IF YOU LIKE A GOOD GHOST STORY. THE HISTORY IN THE BOOK WENT INTO MORE OF THE HORRIBLE DETAILS OF THE BINDING OF THE FEET. I KNEW THIS WAS HORRIFIC BUT IT GOES INTO GREAT DETAIL. MOTHER CHEN MAKES A GREAT GHOST THAT YOU WOULD DEFINATELY NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH, BUT I CAN SEE HOW SHE TURNED OUT THE WAY SHE DID.. A GREAT QUICK READ BUT VERY GOOD INDEED.
Gaby
Jan 07, 2013 Gaby rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. So here it goes... (Review in Spanish at the bottom of the post)

I was a little skeptical at first, because horror stories can go from amazing to ridiculous in just a few pages. Luckily Jin Village had the perfect mix of humor, history and horror that kept me hooked until the end. This is pretty much me while reading this book:

I really liked Sean from the start. He is clever, hot, funny and a genuine nice guy... where do I sign up
Emily
Jan 15, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Full disclosure: I won this in a goodreads giveaway.

I was a bit nervous when I found out I won this book, because horror can be hit or miss. I'm not a gorehound. I love atmospheric, creepy horror. I shouldn't have worried. This books has TONS of atmosphere and creep. Matter of fact, for the first couple parts of the book (it's split up into parts as the story progresses) it was nothing but atmosphere.

There's a bit of a jarring transition from the creepy atmosphere to something much more physic
Kelly
Nov 26, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make. Yes, it's a deep dark one that will probably disturb and disgust everyone but IT MUST BE SAID. I get nauseous when people start talking about plastic surgery. Seriously. I end up all queased out with my eyes rolling around in my head. Does anyone remember that episode of The X-Files where the guy was doing plastic surgery and ... Nope, I can't even talk about it (by the by, I've never been able to watch that episode all the way through without cringing behind a finge ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Nov 27, 2014 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it
Jin Village is a nice read. A cursed, forgotten village that is about to be excavated turns up more than ancient artifacts. I really enjoyed Vincent Stoia's voice. Some great lines in here. One of my favorites: "Looking like two kids watching a horror film they weren't ready to handle, Sean and Zhongen sat frozen, staring out into the night."
I really enjoyed the way Stoia worked his character's relationships, too. There was a little love-thing happening, but rather than let the couple crash into
E.l. Sayers
Jun 14, 2013 E.l. Sayers rated it it was amazing
I read Jin Village before it was published. I loved it. And then recently I read it again. This book is fascinating. It's about an archaeological expedition to a recently discovered Chinese ruin that is remote and couched in evil rumor. We are quickly introduced to Mother Chen--the evil spirit who, after hundreds of years, is still exacting revenge for her mutilated feet and the abusive treatment dished out by the original villagers. The book ties outdated Chinese practices (foot binding) and su ...more
Anita
Dec 05, 2013 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
It’s a wonderful first novel! I really loved to read this story.
I won this novel on Goodreads, this was my first try with giveaways – well, I’m very happy with this horror/thriller novel! Why I wanted to read? Chinese culture, Ghosts, Thriller – It can’t be bad!
I think my favourite part was Malcolm and Sean’s friendly conversation. I really loved this part! Heartwarming.
Mother Chen is a genius evil and the zombies… I can’t stop in reading…! I was sad because of Amy’s pain and Malcolm’s shoot.
Th
Kathleen
Jan 08, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. I had tried to win this book at least ten times over the last year or so. I finally gave in and purchased it. I'm not sorry. The story is a good one. The setting couldn't have been more interesting and characters were as well. Learning about the Chinese culture was really fascinating and I enjoyed the small gems of folklore, like don't whistle at night. I did think there was some awkward transitioning in the writing when moving from place to place or between time periods but overall i ...more
Kim Moyer
Jan 04, 2013 Kim Moyer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story although I didn't find it as suspenseful as other horror books I've read. It was still creepy though and wasn't gore-filled in any way (I really dislike gore-horror; suspense is much better, IMO).

I thought the history of Jin Village and the legends, myths and tales known by generations of people living nearby were intriguing and well put-together. I also thought the inclusion of the saddening past of foot binding in China was a nice tie in.

I wish that more information was gi
Bibash Sapkota
Sep 12, 2013 Bibash Sapkota rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

This was an interesting read. The best part of this book is the story of Hong and his daughter, and the information about foot binding culture. I was shocked to know the cruelty of ancient Chinese society towards female. In addition, it also provides some insights over Chinese culture and superstitions. I found that some of those superstitions match with ours. But first half of this book is little slow and this book lacks twist and turns. Apart from these
Micki
May 13, 2014 Micki rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads
giveaway.
The fun and interesting part of this book was spending time in a remote Chinese village on an archeological dig. Even when reading fiction, I enjoy experiencing something new.
The horror aspect of the story added to the uniqueness of this tale. Characters under stress can expose some ugly sides of humanity but we also see positive traits as in Sean and his fearless courage.
Jan
Mar 04, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jason Perry
Though it was a horror story (and i don't do horror), i really couldn't put this book down. There were some parts that made me cringe (foot binding),but made the story more believable. The characters were authentic. Mother Chen is one bad mother. At first i thought she was some Chinese version of Mother Earth, I was wrong. She was creepy, sinister, and evil. All the things you want from a wu po (witch).
Elin
I received this book as a first-reads giveaway.

I don't usually read horror books, so story-wise this might not have been for me. But I have to say I really liked the writing. The switches from different persons point-of-view was beautifully done, and also between first and third person. It could have gotten messy and hard to follow, but no such thing.

It was a very enjoyable read, and if Mr Stoia decides to write another book in a different genre I'm definitely reading it!
annemarie_bookaholic
A very creepy book! Well written.

I was extremely upset with the binding of the feet which I know the Chinese did do and how cruel it was to the young girls. It was a horrendous practice and I believe that is what made Mother Chen so strong and sinister.
Alytha
Jan 14, 2013 Alytha rated it liked it
Find out everything you've never wanted to know about Chinese foot-binding...*shudder*.
All in all, very creepy, somewhat straight horror, although sometimes the pacing isn't as good as it could be.
Robert
Apr 07, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
enjoyed the mix of archaeology, Chinese history, and horror. I give it 4.5 stars.
Shivani Reddy
Oct 06, 2013 Shivani Reddy rated it it was amazing
an amazing storyline.... i would die to read this book... can't wait
Lisa
Jan 08, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great story of life and traditions in the Chinese culture.
linhtalinhtinh
Apr 10, 2013 linhtalinhtinh rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as a Goodreads giveaway.

Warning: I'm not so confident giving this book a review. I might be a bit too harsh since thriller is not my usual genre, and thus I have no sense where the book's quality stands. As a result, I have to resort to comparing it with some others - heavier towards fantasy - that I read before. Overall it is an enjoyable read for me, but it could have been better.

Jin Village is kinda a Chinese version of Mummy. The comparison is bad, I know, but that gives you a g
Mike
Jun 04, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
A REALLY enjoyable first novel from this exciting foreign-based author Vincent Stoia. From the get-go, the location had already piqued my interest. Ancient Chinese villages, lost in the mountains (not to mention the mists of time) are hardly your typical horror story location. Add in some archaeology, malevolent ghosts and characters whose motivations are at times extremely suspect and you have the makings of a cracking good read. The strongest part of the novel though, were the flashbacks into ...more
Greta Samuelson
Nov 01, 2016 Greta Samuelson rated it really liked it
Good story- I enjoyed it. I think it would make a great movie.
I wonder if one of Vincent Stoia's influences is Stephen King, it felt like that must be the case while I was reading this book.
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2013
Patrick Cowsill
Patrick Cowsill rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Cyber Killer
Cyber Killer rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Roseanne Brown
Roseanne Brown rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Wendy Lupin
Wendy Lupin rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Muhammad Abdul
Muhammad Abdul rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014
Nolie ocoy
Nolie ocoy rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
  • Where's my dog? The Search for Honest Leadership
  • The Seven "profound & insane" Books
  • The Year of the Great Seventh
  • The Rude Buay Trilogy
  • Time Walker (Spirit Bound #1)
  • The Secret Underground
  • Outview (Inner Movement, #1)
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • The Jack in the Green
  • Obscura Burning
  • Vuto
  • Goodbye Nothing
  • The Book (The Bell Collection)
  • Congo (Spirit of Darkness, #1)