Beneath the Skin

Beneath the Skin (de La Vega Cats #3)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,269 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A whole world exists…beneath the skin.

De La Vega Cats, Book 3

Gibson de La Vega is the Bringer, one of the Alpha’s right-hand cats. It is his job to mete out justice and defend the law that holds their jamboree together.

After a contentious meeting with another jamboree, he’s shot—Mia stumbles onto the scene and saves his life. He’s immediately drawn to the female who dug th...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing (first published April 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Skin

Michelle
Lauren Dane and her books hold such a special place in my reading heart because she has helped to open up my opinions about what kinds of romance books I read. She was really my gateway to some of the very smexy books and authors that I now read. Because of this, my reviews of her books may be a little bias but I don’t care because I love her very much.

Beneath the Skin was another great read from Ms. Dane and her paranormal romances. Mia was an amazing heroine. She was a fighter, had great stre...more
Heather  * is reading like crazy*
Book 3 of the de las Vega series: Gibson and Mia's story.

I reallyy liked Mia, she is a strong woman recovering from a vicous hate crime. She was such a wonderful strong character. Funny, flirty, sexy, yet if you piss her off or threathen someone she cares about the claws come out.
Gibson's position is justice for his jamboree and sometimes that can be a bit harder than expected. We find out he had to challenge to the death for the position from his Uncle. Then in the last book his brother was ex...more
Guilty Pleasures
Raven's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars and Creme de la Creme

I was captivated by Beneath the Skin, the third book in the de la Vega Cats series, by Lauren Dane. I have felt this way since the beginning of the series. Both Trinity (book #1) and Revelation (book #2) pulled me in and left me wanting more. Beneath the Skin has done the same.

In both books readers got a glimpse of Gibson de la Vega, Bringer of the jaguar jamboree. Now his life is brought into focus in Beneath the Skin. He...more
Emily
Mia Porter is back at home recovering from a hate attack and trying to figure out the next path her life will lead, when she scents someone bleeding. Seeing another shifter who had been shot three times with silver, Mia has no choice but to help them and remove the bullets. When she finds out it is a de La Vega though, she is not sure she wants to rekindle any friendship between the Porter's and them. A longtime family grudge has not softened as the years have past, but she reminds herself she w...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Heeeeellloooooooooo sexy! Gibson De La Vega is the Bringer of the De La Vega jamboree. Basically he is in charge of justice and protecting his cats. When is faced with a rogue group of cats that entered the territory without permission and he sends them packing, he is attacked and shot at with silver bullets.

Mia Porter just happens to be around when he gets shot and she feels compelled to help him and save his life. Even though she didn’t know who he was...more
Angie
This was a hot read! I have been waiting for Gibson's story for a while and this surpassed my expectations! Mia is the perfect woman for Gibson but the two of them are the last to admit it!

Mia's family is not an active member in the De La Vega jamboree because of an injustice that happened three generations ago. Gibson knows she's not for him, even if she has saved his life. But a new threat targets both of them and only together will they be able to stop it.

This is a stand alone story but I be...more
Heather
I've been a bit disappointed with the later books in this series. This one promised a lot of smexy and a whole lotta dirty talk, but I didn't feel it delivered. Just an example(view spoiler) I also felt that I didn't become invested in their happiness. I liked them as characte...more
Nicole
I really liked this book. Mia is my type of female. She badass with a fierce heart of gold. Lauren made the perfect heroine with independence but not too much where it's annoying. And Gibson is plain old yummy. Of course the steamy scenes are well, steamy (it's Lauren Dane) My favorite of the series.
Jessie Potts
What it's about: This is the third book in the de La Vega Cats series by Lauren Dane and was previously available only as an e-book. Beneath the Skin is about Gibson, or the Bringer. Gibson is the Alpha's right-hand man. He metes out justice and defends the pack. He meets our feisty heroine when she digs three silver bullets out of his body. Their past (or their families' pasts) comes to light afterward, and the two are determined to stay away from each other. This is a problem, because the chem...more
Stephanie
BENEATH THE SKIN Got Under Mine
de La Vega Cats Book Three
by Lauren Dane (www.laurendane.com)
E-Book
Kindle Size:376 KB
Est. Print Length:162 pages
Publisher:Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (April 3, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

ORIGINAL POST: FANGS, WANDS & FAIRY DUST
(http://fangswandsandfairydust.blogspo...)

A whole world exists…beneath the skin.
Candace
Anything by Lauren Dane is an automatic read for me and I'm never disappointed. I've been waiting for this book for what feels like forever and loved every minute of it.

Gibson is a great character that we've been learning more about from the start of the series. Mia is his perfect match.

One of my favorite parts of any series is revisiting past characters and Lauren Dane is phenomenal at that, even interconnecting different series with the Cascadia Wolves and the de La Vega Cats. So, in this book...more
Darcy
I really liked this one, loved that we go to see more of Gibson. He is prefect in his position of Bringer and even more so after you hear of how he achieved the position.

I really loved how Gibson met Mia, at a time when he was most vulnerable, dependent on her just to live. I think if he had been found by most other females, things wouldn't have gone so well. Mia's personality of not letting people push her worked out well finding Gibson shot. She just took charge and helped him out. Of course i...more
Redheads Review it Better
Another great book by Lauren Dane. If you haven’t read anything by her yet, you better have enough money and time allotted so you can read her books. I absolutely find her books addicting and this book can be another added to her growing list.

Mia is back in her hometown after an attack and the area pack didn’t do anything to help find her attackers. Still trying to deal with the aftereffects, she happens to stumble over a handsome shifter who is shot three times with silver bullets. Even though...more
Joyfully Reviewed
Gibson de La Vega is the Bringer for his jamboree and it’s a responsibility he takes very seriously. He is the one who makes sure that their laws are followed and he hands out justice when those laws are broken. After a meeting with members of another jamboree where Gibson handed out a fair ruling for their misbehavior, he finds himself shot and with silver to make it worse.

Mia Porter is a cat in the de La Vega jamboree but her family does very little with it due to bitterness and bad relations...more
Sally
Beneath the Skin is a hot steamy read with passion and true sense of protection from the outset. This is Gibson de la Vega's story and when he is shot by unknown shifters and is rescued by the mysterious Mia Porter, his world is turned upside down and will do anything to protect what is his.

This story is about family betrayal and family feuds. Whilst battling with their emotions for each other, Gibson and Mia find themselves target practice for family vengeance and it is only their love and trus...more
This is my favorite so far of the de La Vega cats series. Gibson is the strong silent, protector type, very devoted to his jamboree, and to making sure they are all safe and taken care of. He deserves a strong woman who has his back. Mia was a wonderful heroine. She was a pilot who flew supply planes in the Army and was used to being in control and taking care of herself. When we meet her, she has moved back into her hometown and is recovering from a terrible hate crime, still, she doesn't hesit...more
LittleRed M
Picture Romeo and Juliet as large cat shapeshifters.

Mia Porter is a cat shifter who is recovering from an almost fatal attack. She moves back to be with her family and actually comes across another cat shifter being attacked in a similar manner to her own. The cat is the Bringer, or basically, judge, jury, and executioner of the cat jamboree, and incidentally, a member of the family that wronged an ancestor of Mia’s. They quickly form a bond (a very very sexy and lustful bond) as they try and f...more
Charlisa Moore
Loved this book so much!

I loved Gibson & Mia! Hot, Hot, Hot!!!! I fell for Gibson in Galen, Renee & Jack's story. I hope that we'll see more of this family. I really like these cats, wolves, and witches!!!!
Bea
I love Lauren Dane as an author. She is not afraid to take on difficult situation and complex characters. She has the ability to write female leads who have had a tough lives, yet still keep on moving forward.

Yet, with this series (de La Vega Cats) I can not help but feel that our three female leads (Renee, Kendra, Mia) all seem "strong, sassy, and sultry". In fact, I swear they said same phrases in each of their books.

This book moves away from the witches aspect and moves into the Others-haters...more
Sunny☼
Family Feud on several levels, Female saves alpha life, open meaningful communication. All of these things help to make this book a great read. Oh did I mention hot passion. Mia has served two terms in Afganistan and returns a hero. She is then attacked on home soil.
Gibson has a dangerous job in being the cat packs bringer or protector. He doesn't think there is any female out there who could live with his necessary life style. Until his life is saved by Mia.
Lauren Dane managed to develop stron...more
Lady Lioness
I admit to picturing Jason Momoa as Gideon. It added a layer of enjoyment to the book, let's just leave it at that.

I am relatively sure I've read at least one of the other de la Vega books before, but I don't have a clear recollection of it. However, Beneath the Skin works well as a stand-alone, without any annoying info dumps. As hot as Gideon was in my head, I enjoyed Mia the most. I loved the fact that she stayed a strong, fierce, warrior throughout the whole book. Her trauma was acknowledge...more
gremlin
I enjoyed this.

Gibson de La Vega is the Bringer for the jamboree, and Mia Porter is nearby when he's shot and digs three silver bullets out. Her family has had so little to do with the jamboree that he doesn't even know she's one of his cats at first.

Mia is strong and fiesty, and refuses to be a victim again when she's already recovering from a hate crime attack. She'll let Gibson protect her within reason, but she won't just roll over for him no matter how tasty she finds this alpha male.
Ansu
Another great book in this series. Well written with a good plot. Mia was an amazing heroine. What I like about LD heroines, is that they are not afraid to want the hero and they do not push him away. Gibson was hot and he made a good match to Mia's character. It is always nice to read about past characters in the books and LD lets us in very nicely. Lauren Dane has now become an author that I will read anything by her as she knows how to write a good story with great characters.

Eva
Even thought this is part of a series I had no trouble reading it despite not having read the previous stories. That is always a plus.
Both the hero and the heroine seemed well written and were firmly in the "I'm normal, not an idiot" category so there was no need for excessive hair pulling. Instead I got an enjoyable and easy to read PNR story with interesting characters (both main and side), so I'll be sure to check out the other stories in this series.
Chris
Really enjoyed this de La Vega book best in the series. Gibson is one smokin hot badassand his mate Mia was the perfect female version.
T.J. Michaels
Okay, I've been waiting for Gibson's story for YEARS!!! And I mean I've wanted to 'see' this man since he was introduced in the first book of this series and OH MY GAWD, I just want to shank his woman and steal him for myself.

Then again, the heroine is pretty awesome, too. She's a mix of flawed, sweet and kick-ass all in the same breath. Gib can handle her, but she handles him right back.

I loved this book!
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
Lauren Dane is one of my favorite authors and I loved the first two books in this series!! I was looking forward to reading Gibson's book and although I liked it, I didn't think it was as good as the first two in the series. I really liked Mia's character and I loved Gibson and her together. It was a short read (162 pages) and I enjoyed it and would recommend reading. 4 out of 5 rating.
Ronda Thayer
Lauren Dane rocks

What can I say Lauren Dane rocks! It doesn't matter if she is writing paranormal or contemporary, once you start to read one of her books you just can't put it down.
  • Silver Mine (Takhini Wolves, #2)
  • Impulse (Southern Arcana, #5)
  • Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2)
  • Outfoxed (Cougar Falls, #4)
  • Yours, Mine and Howls (Werewolves in Love, #2)
  • Trinity Bound (Redwood Pack, #3)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Finding Chrissten (Legacy, #5)
  • Slade (Tales of the Were, #4, The Others, #2)
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest,...more
More about Lauren Dane...
Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1) Giving Chase (Chase Brothers, #1) Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) Taking Chase (Chase Brothers, #2) Making Chase (Chase Brothers, #4)

“All right. And if any of you get hurt I'm going to be really mad. I sleep with a Glock next to my bed so don't think I'm joking. I will shoot you if you don't make sure Gibson gets back here safely” 6 likes