Start by marking “Love is a Battlefield” as Want to Read:
Love is a Battlefield

Love is a Battlefield (Games of Love #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  37 reviews
It takes a real man to wear a kilt. And a real woman to charm him out of it.
Games of Love, Book 1It might be modern times, but Kate Simmons isn’t willing to live a life without at least the illusion of the perfect English romance. A proud member of the Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society, Kate fulfills her passion for courtliness and high-waisted gowns in the company
Published January 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing (first published February 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love is a Battlefield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love is a Battlefield

Jill

Kate Simmons has been put in charge of the major fundraiser for the year for her Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society. She's found the perfect venue. But the venue is wanted at the same time by another group.

Julian Wallace, is a part-time pro-athlete and member of the Scottish Highland Society. With the Highland Games in a month's time, Julian cannot afford any distractions. Introduced to the sport by his late stepfather, Julian is hoping to snare a sponsorship with Rockland Bluff
Brooke Moss
Fun, sexy read! I'm a re-enactment/red fair geek, so the theme of Ms. Morgan's book was an unorthodox approach to a romance novel. I loved the characters, the conundrums, and the sexual tension. Highly recommended for a lighthearted but sexy read!
Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)
Love Is A Battlefield is an enjoyable story that's light on the romance. The majority of the book is about Julian and Kate trying to one up each other over a park that neither one of them owns or have rights to. The hero and heroine worked my nerves with their stubbornness. I thought the tricks to one up each other were kinda mean, not cute and funny. And the fight over the park took over the entire story. I felt very little connection to Kate and Julian and found the romance aspect of the plot ...more
Megan
I was hesitant about this book, despite hearing universally positive things about it on various blogs. The descriptions of the hijinks finally broke me, and I'm so glad I gave it a chance, because I found it to be a delightful, and surprisingly deep, contemporary. Each time I put down the book, I couldn't wait to get back to it, I was enjoying the characters and their situation so much.

Why I was hesitant, and why it turned out I shouldn't have been so worried:

I am uninterested in uber-masculinit
Guilty Pleasures
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars and Recommended Read

As soon as I read the synopsis for Love Is A Battlefield by Tamara Morgan, I knew it was a must read for me. Coming from a Scottish ancestry, I love the Highland games and attend them every year when they come into my town. There is just something about men in kilts throwing a caber or a hammer….whew! While I admit I’m not a big fan of Jane Austen that didn’t stop me from wanting to read this book.

This book is a true romance
Lynelle
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book and I don’t usually read contemporary romances. The thing that drew me to initially to this story is how Kate is part of a Jane Austin Regency Re-enactment Society or JARR (which I love Jane Austin and a secret part of me would enjoy to participate in something like that) and then there are the Scots, yum, can’t go wrong with some Scots ;)

Kate is a fairly shy woman and she tends to just go along with others and doesn’t really stand up for herself. Due to an incident,
Sheryl
What an awesome debut! I personally believe that the making any good contemporary romance novel is humour, and man, did this book have it in spades! Considering i was already laughing myself silly BEFORE i had finished the first chapter, i KNEW that i was going to enjoy this read!

I loved Julian; tough yet really an inner emotion softie...in the words of Kate (the heroine in this novel); SWOON! Julian was seriously swoonworthy and i think props needs to go to Ms. Morgan for making someone who tak
Trea
This is actually my second time around for reading this, and both times I've come away mostly dissatisfied with it. Both main characters acted rather childish overall, though they did spend enough time in each others company for attraction to deepen into admiration and even love. I did enjoy the relatively unique sport that was introduced in this story, and the roleplaying society that shared the stage as well, but my frustration with the childishness of the characters made this a lackluster rea ...more
The_Book_Queen

The following review is a partial review. To read the entire text, please visit TBQ's Book Palace

~*~*~*~*~

Hilarity ensues when the battle of the sexes (and the battle of the countries) begins! Soon the prize is no longer about the state park, but rather their hearts...

Kate Simmons' life revolves around one thing: The Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society. Nothing matters more, and honestly she'd probably be happiest living in the actual Regency period. When she's given the task of planning th
Stella
I'm a huge Austen fan and there is nothing I love more than Scottish men (and if they are in a kilt all the better), so when I read the blurb of Love is a Battlefield I felt spooked that somehow Tamara Morgan got inside my head and read there my secret fantasies. ;-)

Love is a Battlefield is a very funny and unique romance story, the likes of which I'm sure you haven't come across yet. Kate is a Jane Austen re-enactor, dreams of Regency gowns, balls and men who still knew what behaving in a gentl
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I loved this book. Love is a Battlefield is a contemporary romance where an Austen era historical group battles it out with a highland games group, and the renaissance crowd even gets mixed in a time or two. The result is a fun, hilarious, and touching read that will delight romance readers of all kinds.

I was a bit unsure when I started reading, I was afraid that the battlefield theme might be cheesy or silly, but I was so wrong. Kate Simmons is part of a historical, Austen-era group that get to
Tracy
A Fast, Fun Battle of the Sexes
Kate Simmons takes the Regency period very seriously. She's a proud member of JARRS, the Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society, and loves all things high-waisted and frilly. This year, she's responsible for the JARRS annual Fauxhall Gardens fundraising event, and she doesn't have much time or much money to secure a location for the event and organize everything.

Luckily, Kate and her best friend Jada find the perfect location at Cornwall State Park. It's pictures
Lisa Jo

Tamara Morgan's debut LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD is a hilarious and delightful contemporary romance. While there are a few details that let this novel lose some of its steam, you can still find an enjoyable contemporary romance.

It may be silly to some people, but Kate Simmons loves being a part of JARRS or the Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society. So when she is put in charge of an annual JARRS event, she sets out to find the perfect location....only to realize it's occupied by a group of profess
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

What happens when a man in a kilt crosses a woman in a Regency era dress? Lots of sparks leading up to lots of sexy fun, of course!

Kate Simmons is a member of the Jane Austen Regency Re-Enactment Society, and in charge of finding the appropriate venue for their upcoming gathering which has a tiny budget. The job was given to her after her friend Jada caused some embarrassment to some JARRS members at another gathering. Kate is also a
Jessica
I enjoyed the storytelling, but the characters at times annoyed.

Not so much Julian, although I didn't understand why he didn't explain to Kate why the Highland Games were so important to him -- but Kate and her best friend, Jada. I have limited tolerance for passive-aggressive heroines, and Kate exceeded it several times. (She acknowledges it at one point, but I couldn't help wishing for a more emotionally mature heroine.) Her friend Jada was just flat-out mean. Not unlikeable, she definitely ha
Amanda
I really enjoyed this contemporary romance. The characters were well developed, and their antics were hilarious. I also very much enjoyed the fact that the setting was historical reenactments. It gave it an edge of history while still in the modern day. However, there were some problems. Pulling together the big venues as described in the book takes months of work, meetings, and a lot of volunteers. Having the plot on such a short time setting is unrealistic in the "real world", but works well i ...more
Heather in FL
Another Samhain without much nookie. I think this was a little bit hotter than book 2 (which I read first), but just one, small scene. That's OK, though. I liked the characters and the story and there were lots of parts that cracked me up. I liked that Kate stood up for what she wanted, though it seemed a little petty. I mean the Scottish Highland Games had been in that park for several years in a row... she only just discovered it. Why is she pushing the issue so hard? Maybe Julian sort of goad ...more
Karen
I love the premise of Love is a Battlefield. The idea that two characters are so caught up in somewhat nerdy pursuits (I mean that in a good way) – Kate with the Jane Austen Regency era, and Julius, with the Scottish Highland Games. They both take it quite seriously which I enjoyed. I expected witty banter and good natured sparring, however these two were childish and mean to each other at times. Julius bordered on Neanderthal-ish.

When they had private moments together where they opened up to ea
Anne Dirty Girls' Good Books
The big conflict in this book centers around a misunderstanding, because our hero, Julian, never fully explains his situation to our heroine, Kate. I really don't like reading stories with a BIG MISUNDERSTANDING and that took away from my enjoyment of this book.

That's a shame because I thought it was really well written and had a lot of humor that made me stop and laugh!

One exchange I liked well enough to bookmark is this:

"What I have to say to you is not fit for my mother's ears."
"But they're f
Writerlibrarian
Average contemporary romance. It's okay, the basic idea and two leads are interesting but the author can't seem to move and grow from that basic idea of them wanting and needed to have the same space to hold an event at the same time. Which gets redundant all through the camping sequence and the fake spy/date. When finally the author moves on and the plot picks up a little steam (the live chess game is lovely) and the end is romantic.

The secondary characters are mostly two dimensional which is
Amelia Elizabeth
It was a really cute read, but I don't know if it impressed me enough to have me keep reading the series. I originally decided to read it when I saw that Kate is a member of a Jane Austen Regency Reenactment Society (JARRS) and I just love Jane Austen (JASNA member!)

That being said there was just something about the story that didn't work for me and I can't even really put my finger on what it was, but there was just "something". I feel like the problems the characters kept facing could have ea
I really enjoyed this book, but it doesn't surprise me at all because it involves Jane Austen re-enactments, men in kilts & Highland games! Great battle of the sexes/romantic comedy, and a not too racy read for those who prefer that type of romance. I think it's a great read alike for those who enjoyed Shannon Hale's Austenland books, Katie MacAlister's straight contemporary romance books, and fans of Jane Austen, historical romance, Renaissance Festivals, etc. in general.
Alexia
I really enjoyed Tamara Morgan's debut novel, Love is a Battlefield. The world building is rich with details, making me wish I was a part of it, but it was the characters that did it for me. I loved the complexities of Julian and Kate and how they worked together as a whole. And this book is hilarious. I don't read contemporaries, but I really enjoyed this book and will definitely read more from the author.
Jessi
I was interested in the behind the scenes world of historical reenactment, which is mostly what kept me reading this book (and also had given me a severe desire to attend the Renaissance Festival in July). However, I just wasn't that into either the hero or heroine and I never really could buy into their big misunderstanding or the final resolution to it. Overall I wasn't super impressed.
Tina Sicre
Quirky, fun, humorous. At first you're thinking "are these people for real?" Next thing you know, you're wishing you were hanging out dressed as a character from a Jane Austen novel, hanging out with a Highlander.
Elizabeth Cribb
I really enjoyed the book. I highly recommend it for those who love a good romance story. Once I started reading, it was hard to put down.
Samantha
Fantastic character driven romance with plenty of sexual tension. Well-written characters, fun storyline - great book overall!
Ruthie Knox
Fun book! Morgan has a fresh, funny voice, and I think she'll go far. Loved the unusual storyline and all the historical geekery.
Anschutz
I have not read this book yet, however this is my favorite type, guess because I come from a Scotish background. Shirley
Jane
Fun, readable romance. The cover is disappointing; nothing like the characters are supposed to look.
  • Blade of Moonlight (Midnight Justice #1)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes, #2)
  • An Uncommon Sense (Sensual Healing, #1)
  • Good at Being Bad (Boys of Beachville, #1)
  • Right Moves (Playing With the Boys, #1)
  • First Do No Evil
  • For Kicks
  • Sweet Deal
  • Believe It or Not
  • Breaking Brodix (Blackwater, #3)
  • Ride with Me
  • Last Call
  • The Virgin's Revenge (Rancho del Cielo, #4)
  • Caught Offside (1 Night Stand, #75)
  • Body of Work
  • Just One Night
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • Irresistible
Tamara Morgan is a contemporary romance author of humorous, heartfelt stories with flawed heroes and heroines designed to get your hackles up and make your heart melt. Her long-lived affinity for romance novels survived a B.A. degree in English Literature, after which time she discovered it was much more fun to create stories than analyze the life out of them.

Whether building Victorian dollhouses,
More about Tamara Morgan...
In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1) The Rebound Girl (Getting Physical, #1) The Derby Girl (Getting Physical, #2) If I Stay (Montgomery Manor, #1) The Party Girl (Getting Physical, #3)