Chasing Paris
read excerpt

Chasing Paris

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Amy Winthrow is shocked when her grandmother dies—not because Elizabeth Hathaway’s death is unexpected but because her existence had always been hidden. Ever-inquisitive and prone to letting her imagination get the best of her, Amy embarks upon a journey with an unlikely friend to unravel the mysteries of the elusive Lizzie Hathaway. As she follows the trail of broken drea...more
Published 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Paris

Jessica
This was a really pleasant surprise. I'll admit that I'm a little biased; I read kindle freebies with lowered expectations than I would have for other books. Despite my reservations, this was great! There were typos, but the plot and characters made up for it. I also liked how it was a bit of chick-lit, mystery (finding out about Lizzie's life), and romance. Also, for such a light book, it had a deeply thoughtful message.
Mandy Caruso-Yahne
A kindle freebie, this was a surprise. Pretty easy read, something fun to entertain on a snow day. Amy is a young woman struggling with her job and in a rut when she meets, Will, a college student on summer break who returns one of her college text books to her and starts her on an investigation into her family's past. In the process she learns a lot about herself, but it's not done in a cliche plot. While I would have liked to learn a little more about some of the characters, I enjoyed the plot...more
Christine
A quick and fun read to fill up some down time.
Amie McCracken
Chasing Paris by Jen Carter is one of those books that I will be highly recommending this year. It's about a girl. Her biological grandmother dies, but all of her life she knew another woman as her grandmother. More and more secrets come out as she searches for the truth.

It's about sisters. It's about love. It's about finding identity. It's about understanding. This book is about so many things. And right from the beginning the reader is thrown into the story. The pace was simply perfect. And th...more
Literary
When Amy receives a letter in the mail from a grandmother she never knew, her life as she knows it is turned upside down. Her family asks her to forget it, get her inheritance and let it go, but Amy can't seem to get the mystery of this never-spoken-of grandmother out of her mind.

Meanwhile, Amy misplaces a treasured book that is found by a complete stranger. This stranger, Will, begins a search to return the book to the poetic girl that lost it. In doing so, he soon becomes a major player in the...more
Michele
When 23 year old Amy & her sister receive a letter informing them of an inheritance left to them by their recently deceased maternal grandmother, they are shocked because this woman is not who they thought was their grandmother. Instead, she is the sister of the woman who they have always known as their grandmother. Amy decides to investigate her family history but it is proven difficult because neither her mother nor her supposed grandmother will tell her anything.

At the same time, Will is...more
Melody McBride
Really good. I've read a lot of free Kindle books lately, and while they're good (mostly), a lot are pretty cliche. I liked this story because it was a free book, yeah, but it was pretty unexpected!

The only things I wish we're different are these:
-there are several typos. It wasn't bad enough to distract or detract from the story, but it WAS noticeable.
-we didn't spend enough time hearing Will's point of view once he and Amy met. I felt like we didn't get to know him as well as I would've liked....more
Joe Hofmann
I subscribe to BookBub, which alerts me to cheap and free books on Kindle. Of course, I will go for free first. The results have been mixed, but this book was a very good freebee. It is the story of a young man who learns what it means to care about someone and something other than himself. It is the story of a young woman who learns to act on her dreams rather than taking the comfortable, easy path. It is the story of the unconditional love of a sister, expressed in unfathomable ways despite th...more
Marvin Williams
A lost book, chance encounters, and a tale of a grandmother no one wants to talk about. No boring bits in this book.
Dee
I got this on amazon for free and wasn't sure about it at first. But after pursuing it, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a lazy day quick read. I loved how it was a story within a story and became a mystery to unsolve. The love story was perfect. Lovely, yet not overpowering; simple. I think that was my favorite component of this book. It wasn't completely revolved around the love story between Will and Amy but they began to fall in love as they worked together towards something...more
Carol
Chasing Paris was a highly enjoyable book. The story was clearly written, the plot linear, despite going back and forth through past and present events. The main character, Amy, inherits some books, in addition to other gifts, from a relative she never knew existed. She is in limbo in her own life, and with a kindred spirit, proceeds to go to some lengths, as well as distance, to find out more about this family member, and how not to follow in her footsteps. I liked the characters, and would lik...more
Ann
Great story. Fun read. A little romance, a little mystery and for the most part some pretty interesting characters. I enjoyed reading this. A number of passages include some great insights into human nature. My one complaint is the number of typos and misspellings ("break" when it should be "brake," for instance). The number of typos gave it the three rating for me. Other than that, it's a great read.
Kelly-Louise
Free on the kindle. Surprisingly good! Amy recently graduated from UCLA with a degree in English. She discovers that her family has been keeping secrets involving a recently deceased grandmother she didn't even know she had. She decides that she needs to solve the mysteries in her family history. A fun read with a nice touch of romance. Also, it's clean. I really enjoyed this one!
Nancy
I find the central question of this book interesting: On the whole, is it better live with the consequences of your choices for the sake of others even though it makes you miserable, or are you better pursuing a life that makes you happy even if it's selfish and causes pain to others. In that sense, this book reminded me of Ann Patchett's "The Patron Saint of Liars."
Heidi
Ok maybe only 4.5 stars, but this book was wonderful! So 5 it is. I completely lost myself in Will and his desire to find the owner of the book and Amy and all her family issues, and lastly how the came together to solve the family mystery!

Wonderful, indulgent, quick read :) I didn't want to put it down!
Tina
This book would have been rated higher had there not been so many typos. Canvass when it clearly was canvas, not once, not twice but THREE times. Plot was interesting but some of the characters lacked depth or reality.

If you self-publish like this book, then proofread.
Cassi
The last few chapters summed up the whole book and what happened to the unknown grandmother. It was good to see the mom finally come to grips with the whole situation and be open to speak with her daughters about it.

I'd like to see a sequel with Amy and Will's relationship.
Christine
Fun light read. The story kept me interested as it unfolded and it was pretty easy to follow. The main character is trying to figure out a hidden family mystery at the same time as finding unexpected romance. Romance with no smut, which is what I like!
Trina King
Downloading free reads from Amazon is always a bit risky, but books like this one are the treasures that keep me going. Only reason for four stars instead of five is the lack of depth on some of the characters. I very much enjoyed the read!
Wendy
This book was surprisingly intriguing. It was well written and kept my interest throughout. I was impressed that this was the authors first book. It is the work of a creative and interesting thinker. I look forward to more of her writing!
Keanna
This is the perfect book that combines Paris (one of my favorite book settings), unexpected friends with self-discovery. This is perfect for a reader who wants to get away for a little while and just have fun while doing it.
Lisa
A novel about the ties of family and choosing the path that would make a person happy and not just settle for something because you think it's the "right" choice. A very enlightening read- I really enjoyed it.
Keanna Lewis
Oct 02, 2012 Keanna Lewis marked it as to-read
This is the perfect book that combines Paris, unexpected friends with self-discovery. This is perfect for a reader who wants to get away for a little while and just have fun while doing it.
Rhonda
This was a free book from Amazon and I was looking for something light. I was pleasantly surprised. My only criticism is that there were quite a few typos - mainly missing words here or there.
Kay
Sep 02, 2013 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-books
I loved this story - a little bit of mystery and a love story. The author made the people come alive in it - just wanted to read it and not stop. It was one of those take you away books.
Paula
The story was very compelling and I liked how it included the story of three generations without being too drawn-out. It had some unexpected twists and turns and was well-written.
Rachel
Got this free from kindle and actually really loved it. It had mystery and romance and was well-written. I really enjoyed it (even though they kept spelling Montmartre wrong).
Tara
Incredibly fun read! Such a sweet tail of family and love, heartache and forgiveness. I adored watching Amy grow with self discovery through her families secret. Great read!!
Cheryl
Another free book from Amazon and another pleasant surprise. Actually two stories -one within the other - this was a great way to spend a couple of chilly nights.
Cherlene
This was a good "free" download from amazon. It was a fast read, with Interesting twists. Just wish it had a bit more depth. Still a good read overall.
  • Catching the Westbound
  • Once in Every Generation
  • Breaking Twig
  • Daughter of the Bamboo Forest
  • Chocolate for Breakfast
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • Cross Roads
  • Paris Adieu (The Ava Series, Book 1)
  • Malaika
  • Pam of Babylon
Jen Carter grew up in San Jose, California, where she took on an early interest in reading the fantastic tales of centuries past. That excitement for literature grew alongside a joy found in writing; she always felt as though she had something to say.

After high school, Jen left northern California to attend UCLA where she majored in English. There, her fascination of premodern literature grew, ult...more
More about Jen Carter...
Remembering Summer The 10 Week Wedding Planner: How to Plan Your Wedding in Just Ten Weeks, How We Did It & How You Can Too! The 10 Week Wedding Planner - How To Plan Your Wedding In Ten Weeks Or Less How To Write and Publish a Cookbook: - A Guide To Writing, Self Publishing and Selling A Cookbook With No Publisher Contract and No Money How To Write & Publish a Cookbook : a Guide to Writing, Self Publishing & Selling Your Cookbook without a publisher or boxes of unsold books, even with no knowledge of advertising and have no money