Start by marking “WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation” as Want to Read:
WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation

WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation (Witches Bureau of Investigation #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
By chance, eleven-year-old twins Nate and Herman Howe meet Mrs. Weatherby, a retired member of the Los Angeles branch of Witches Bureau of Investigation. The boys ask her to help find their mother, who has been missing for six months. Reluctantly, Mrs. Weatherby agrees, though all of her licenses to work magic have expired. She reaches out to her old colleagues, for inform ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about WBI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WBI

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessPersuasion by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenMadame Tussaud by Michelle MoranA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My Favored Reads
155th out of 282 books — 46 voters
The Dark Prince by S.L. JenningsDark Light by S.L. JenningsClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton
Attractive Book Covers
388th out of 427 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Trudi Jorda
Feb 08, 2016 Trudi Jorda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have to admit I have a new guilty pleasure--- I read a book about a pair of 11 yr old twins who lost their mom mysteriously 6 months prior-- who meet an elderly retired witch who investigated bad witches and the evil things they do. She takes the case of helping them find their mom and they help her find the bad witch that well-- read it and laugh your pants off! Its a fast fun read that I really enjoyed! Made my day! :)
Cheryl Landmark
Apr 09, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it it was amazing
What a fun, delightful read! This little gem was full of humour and quirky characters, including Mrs. Weatherby, the retired director of the WBI and a rather absentminded old dear, Clementine, the witch who transmorgified herself into an orangutan, Gladys, the mechanic who could fix cars and just about any spell around, and Beauchamp, the chauffeur/butler shapeshifter. The twin boys, Nate and Herman, were sweet, charming youngsters, who took it upon themselves to try to find their missing mother ...more
Jess
Jul 18, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
a cute fun read.
David Lowry
Aug 18, 2014 David Lowry rated it really liked it
Witches Bureau of Investigation is the first of two books by Richard Capwell in the series the first one at least, featuring young Nate and Herman Howe. Richard Capwell has self-published 10 books including “The Domain of Dragons” series of fourbooks from what I can tell based on goodreads.com. As stated in the intro book blurb at the top of this review. Young Nate and Herman Howe accidentally (or was it?) run into literally, Mrs. Weatherby outside a coffee shop spilling her latte everywhere. Th ...more
Doreen
Sep 13, 2012 Doreen rated it it was amazing
This was a fast read, which is a bummer because I was not ready for this story to be over! I absolutely adored this book! It was fun, gripping isn't quite the right word. It does however, suck you in and keep you there until the end! It's great for all ages, there was nothing gory, just pure entertainment!
Amy H
Jun 25, 2014 Amy H rated it it was amazing
I bought this book one day, and thought i would give it a try... And i was not disappointed

This is a great children's book. It is based for children in the middle school grade.

Nate and Herman are twins. They are currently out of school, and trying to enjoy their summer vacation. Well, one day while they were out and not supposed to be they spotted a old lady where a long fur coat and lots of jewelry. They stopped and helped her. They even saved her from being plowed by a business man in a hurry.
Janette Fuller
Jan 06, 2013 Janette Fuller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Nate and Herman's mother had been missing for six months when they stumbled across Agnes Weatherby searching for her silver Phantom Rolls Royce limousine. Mrs. Weatherby was the former director of the Witches Bureau of Investigation. The eleven-year-old twins asked her to help them search for their missing mother.

Mrs. Weatherby was retired so she was hesitant but did agree to help and contacted some old friends to assist in the search. The old friends were a wacky bunch including a shape shiftin
Jenni
Aug 13, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very quick read, and so much fun - only complaint is I wish it were longer! The characters are charming, and I loved all the little quotes sprinkled throughout by Mrs. Weatherby. And while I guessed early on who the villain was, it was extremely entertaining seeing how the story progressed and the villain was defeated. Very cleverly done - will definitely be reading #2 soon!
Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
I read the e-version *(kindle) of this book. SPOILER ALERT I thought this was a nice choice for a pre-teen reader. Capwell introduces many characters, but he does it well and they will come in handy in subsequent books in the series. Interesting plot twist with the mom's situtation. I can see how he will develop this story into her new job and the boys hanging out @ WBI.
Sharon Kennedy
Jan 08, 2015 Sharon Kennedy rated it really liked it
This was a great little tale, aimed at the older children's market, as two of the characters are 11 year old twins, but it didn't labour the youth part, and so would be great for any age. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm way past 11!!
Great little story, and looking forward to more in the series.
Daniell
Jul 17, 2014 Daniell rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book...it has charming characters and an interesting story line. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it especially to my young readers. It was a light but exciting read perfect for a summer day. I will be looking for the next one!
Maria Schneider
Aug 30, 2014 Maria Schneider rated it it was amazing
An excellent middle grade book. Nice plot, great characters. I could have done without the "definitions" of the various "big" words, but that can be standard in some books of this nature. With instant dictionaries in ebooks these days, I'm not sure that technique is as warranted as in the past, but the key is: Great story. I enjoyed it. I don't generally read middle grade books, but this one works on several levels and was entertaining! The world building was well-done and there were enough susp ...more
Kathy
Apr 19, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Although I am an adult and read this for my own pleasure, it would have been fun to read it aloud to older children. I have put the sequel on my wish list!

P.S. I loved that one of the characters is named Marion Lorne (Aunt Clara on Bewitched).
Cam
Jun 22, 2015 Cam rated it it was amazing
A Kid's magical adventure

Five out of five for keeping me jumping for joy even till the end of the story! Full of witty witches and silly. Little boys to keep you feeling skyping for a very long time... haha!
Connie Bernhardt
Aug 15, 2012 Connie Bernhardt rated it it was amazing
What a fun book. I really enjoyed reading this.
Nate and Herman's mother has been missing for 6 months. The twins and their father are coping the best they can. Then one day the twins meet Mrs. Weatherby a witch. Not any old witch but one who has retired from the Wiches Bureau of Investigation. Mrs. Weatherby after realizing there is something else going on that smells of the paranormal agrees to help, along with some of her old retired friends including a witch who jinked herself into an orang
Susan Lee Thuener
Mar 05, 2016 Susan Lee Thuener rated it it was amazing
Witches Are Fun

Really like this book A fun filled mystery with witches practicing their skills to solve the case. I recommend this book to everyone.
Miketank2
Sep 23, 2015 Miketank2 rated it liked it
Good Start to a New Series

Kind of geared towards the younger crowd. Reads quickly and action through out. Will definitely read the rest of these.
Tanya
Mar 19, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Good book

Stuck to the plot without a great deal of unnecessary verbiage. Will read the next book, and definitely recommend this one.
Kandy
Jul 07, 2015 Kandy rated it really liked it
Cute and fun book.Loved the characters. What isn't fun about hanging out with witches. The Twin boys that were looking for their mother have made some good friends.
Shari Nichols
Feb 28, 2015 Shari Nichols rated it really liked it
Delightful

A light hearted story probably more suited for children than adults. It did hold my interest though and was a quick, fun read.
Shauna
Apr 18, 2015 Shauna rated it really liked it
Cute and well done. Good for younger readers, but I enjoyed it too. Fun characters, interesting plot twists, captivating. Quite good.
Rhonda Burns dyson
Dec 25, 2014 Rhonda Burns dyson rated it it was amazing
Captivating

Awesome read!!! I was captivated from the beginning until the end. This would be a great read for anyone of any age.
Norma
Jan 13, 2015 Norma rated it it was amazing
WBI

Great story. I gave it a five, because the boys never gave up. They knew there mom was a live just didn't know where
Susan B
Aug 16, 2014 Susan B rated it really liked it
A good children's book, will make sure my grandchildren read this one. It still had a twist at the end. highly recommend.
Tehila
Mar 03, 2016 Tehila rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book; can’t say much about it without a spoiler alert. But I can say the heroes are youngsters and oldsters. Definitely planning to read the rest of the series.

It was a quick read for me, but would probably take longer for a young reader. A fun read even for kids who claim to not like reading.
John
Apr 19, 2015 John rated it liked it
Very young adult/teen but fun. Plot is simple but age appropriate. Characters are pretty good.
Jessica
Apr 08, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book is great. It was such an enjoyable read. The talking orangutan was my favorite character. I found myself smiling at her description from the twins' POV every time. Mrs. Weatherby is just as lovable as Mary Poppins, but sneakier and sassier. I never saw the ending coming until it all started unwinding. I just knew who the bad guy was...and then WOW was I wrong! I'm saving this in my favorites folder to reread again later.
Elaine White
Feb 05, 2013 Elaine White rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. Original concept, well written and loved the characters. This was a bit of fun. It was very original, a complete find and I enjoyed it. It's probably meant to be a kid's book but I consider myself a big kid anyway.

The story consists of two young boys who have a problem. They encounter a strange old woman one day and believe her to be a witch. It turns out, she is. The boys ask the old witch to help them with their problem and in doing so, encounter a whole new world in the WBI
Janet
Feb 12, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
very good, really enjoyed this. it was a fun read
Julie
Apr 22, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Cute kids story. I'll be looking for the next installment!
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • The Secret
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
  • Timeline
  • Nimpentoad
  • Smoke and Magic (Hayle Coven Histories, #1)
  • Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)
  • Witches (The Cross-Worlds Coven Series, #1)
  • Solomon & Lord Drop Anchor
  • Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish
  • The Time Keeper (The Time Keeper, #1)
  • Michael Belmont and the Tomb of Anubis
  • The Orphanage of Doom (The Grimm Chronicles #4)
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • Twice Drowned Dragon (The Gryphonpike Chronicles, #2)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • Transylvania Detective Squad
  • Thicker Than Water (The Briar Creek Vampires #2)

Witches Bureau of Investigation (3 books)
  • WBI 2: Witches Bureau of Investigation 2
  • WBI 3: Witches Bureau Of Investigation 3 (WBI Series)

“A mother’s love never wavers in its strength, never falters in its fierce determination, never dilutes despite time or treason.” 1 likes