Start by marking “WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation” as Want to Read:
WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation

WBI: Witches Bureau of Investigation (Witches Bureau of Investigation #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  39 reviews
By chance, eleven-year-old twins Nate and Herman Howe meet Mrs. Weatherby, a retired member of the Los Angeles branch of Witches Bureau of Investigation. The boys ask her to help find their mother, who has been missing for six months. Reluctantly, Mrs. Weatherby agrees, though all of her licenses to work magic have expired. She reaches out to her old colleagues, for inform ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about WBI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WBI

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessPersuasion by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenMadame Tussaud by Michelle MoranA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My Favored Reads
113th out of 249 books — 39 voters
The Dark Prince by S.L. JenningsDark Light by S.L. JenningsThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton
Attractive Book Covers
357th out of 400 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl Landmark
What a fun, delightful read! This little gem was full of humour and quirky characters, including Mrs. Weatherby, the retired director of the WBI and a rather absentminded old dear, Clementine, the witch who transmorgified herself into an orangutan, Gladys, the mechanic who could fix cars and just about any spell around, and Beauchamp, the chauffeur/butler shapeshifter. The twin boys, Nate and Herman, were sweet, charming youngsters, who took it upon themselves to try to find their missing mother ...more
David Lowry
Witches Bureau of Investigation is the first of two books by Richard Capwell in the series the first one at least, featuring young Nate and Herman Howe. Richard Capwell has self-published 10 books including “The Domain of Dragons” series of fourbooks from what I can tell based on goodreads.com. As stated in the intro book blurb at the top of this review. Young Nate and Herman Howe accidentally (or was it?) run into literally, Mrs. Weatherby outside a coffee shop spilling her latte everywhere. Th ...more
Doreen
This was a fast read, which is a bummer because I was not ready for this story to be over! I absolutely adored this book! It was fun, gripping isn't quite the right word. It does however, suck you in and keep you there until the end! It's great for all ages, there was nothing gory, just pure entertainment!
Amy H
I bought this book one day, and thought i would give it a try... And i was not disappointed

This is a great children's book. It is based for children in the middle school grade.

Nate and Herman are twins. They are currently out of school, and trying to enjoy their summer vacation. Well, one day while they were out and not supposed to be they spotted a old lady where a long fur coat and lots of jewelry. They stopped and helped her. They even saved her from being plowed by a business man in a hurry.
Janette Fuller
Nate and Herman's mother had been missing for six months when they stumbled across Agnes Weatherby searching for her silver Phantom Rolls Royce limousine. Mrs. Weatherby was the former director of the Witches Bureau of Investigation. The eleven-year-old twins asked her to help them search for their missing mother.

Mrs. Weatherby was retired so she was hesitant but did agree to help and contacted some old friends to assist in the search. The old friends were a wacky bunch including a shape shiftin
Jenni
Aug 13, 2014 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: magic
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very quick read, and so much fun - only complaint is I wish it were longer! The characters are charming, and I loved all the little quotes sprinkled throughout by Mrs. Weatherby. And while I guessed early on who the villain was, it was extremely entertaining seeing how the story progressed and the villain was defeated. Very cleverly done - will definitely be reading #2 soon!
Lisa
I read the e-version *(kindle) of this book. SPOILER ALERT I thought this was a nice choice for a pre-teen reader. Capwell introduces many characters, but he does it well and they will come in handy in subsequent books in the series. Interesting plot twist with the mom's situtation. I can see how he will develop this story into her new job and the boys hanging out @ WBI.
Sharon Kennedy
This was a great little tale, aimed at the older children's market, as two of the characters are 11 year old twins, but it didn't labour the youth part, and so would be great for any age. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm way past 11!!
Great little story, and looking forward to more in the series.
Daniell
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book...it has charming characters and an interesting story line. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it especially to my young readers. It was a light but exciting read perfect for a summer day. I will be looking for the next one!
Maria Schneider
An excellent middle grade book. Nice plot, great characters. I could have done without the "definitions" of the various "big" words, but that can be standard in some books of this nature. With instant dictionaries in ebooks these days, I'm not sure that technique is as warranted as in the past, but the key is: Great story. I enjoyed it. I don't generally read middle grade books, but this one works on several levels and was entertaining! The world building was well-done and there were enough susp ...more
Kathy
Cute story. My kids might enjoy this one

You can tell this was written for a younger reader, but I thought this was a well written and engaging story for young readers, but older readers would enjoy this short easy read as well.
Kathy
Although I am an adult and read this for my own pleasure, it would have been fun to read it aloud to older children. I have put the sequel on my wish list!

P.S. I loved that one of the characters is named Marion Lorne (Aunt Clara on Bewitched).
Connie Bernhardt
What a fun book. I really enjoyed reading this.
Nate and Herman's mother has been missing for 6 months. The twins and their father are coping the best they can. Then one day the twins meet Mrs. Weatherby a witch. Not any old witch but one who has retired from the Wiches Bureau of Investigation. Mrs. Weatherby after realizing there is something else going on that smells of the paranormal agrees to help, along with some of her old retired friends including a witch who jinked herself into an orang
Shari Nichols
Delightful

A light hearted story probably more suited for children than adults. It did hold my interest though and was a quick, fun read.
Shauna
Cute and well done. Good for younger readers, but I enjoyed it too. Fun characters, interesting plot twists, captivating. Quite good.
Rhonda Burns dyson
Captivating

Awesome read!!! I was captivated from the beginning until the end. This would be a great read for anyone of any age.
Norma
WBI

Great story. I gave it a five, because the boys never gave up. They knew there mom was a live just didn't know where
Susan B
A good children's book, will make sure my grandchildren read this one. It still had a twist at the end. highly recommend.
John
Very young adult/teen but fun. Plot is simple but age appropriate. Characters are pretty good.
Jessica
This book is great. It was such an enjoyable read. The talking orangutan was my favorite character. I found myself smiling at her description from the twins' POV every time. Mrs. Weatherby is just as lovable as Mary Poppins, but sneakier and sassier. I never saw the ending coming until it all started unwinding. I just knew who the bad guy was...and then WOW was I wrong! I'm saving this in my favorites folder to reread again later.
Elaine White
Really enjoyed it. Original concept, well written and loved the characters. This was a bit of fun. It was very original, a complete find and I enjoyed it. It's probably meant to be a kid's book but I consider myself a big kid anyway.

The story consists of two young boys who have a problem. They encounter a strange old woman one day and believe her to be a witch. It turns out, she is. The boys ask the old witch to help them with their problem and in doing so, encounter a whole new world in the WBI
Julie
Cute kids story. I'll be looking for the next installment!
Tina
A fun read.
Kelleen
Loved this! Can't wait to start on book 2!
Alex Owens
Fun, zany book geared towards a younger audience, but surely fun for the adults as well. The kids were funny, and the supporting cast of characters quirky, "real" and should make for interesting plot lines in the future. (I'm assuming this is a series, or will be).

The magic is of the Samantha Stevens / Nanny McPhee variety and not too scary or heavy for the younger kids either. Off to see if there is another book out yet :-)
Karen Fowler
Kid friendly, but entertaining to adults as well. Old-fashioned magic, powdery potions in bottles, etc. not the scary/ hexing kind. Funny group of odd-ball characters and at the center of it all is the boys. I like this so much I've loaded it onto both of my children's e-readers!
Cyn
For what it was, the book was entertaining and good. Cute characters and humorous dialogue. Recommended for those who enjoy the Juvenile/YA paranormal genre.
Duncan Rounding
As other reviewers have mentioned, this wqas a fun book and a really good quick read. Certainly recommended for both adults and children.
Clare
Not normally something I would read, but I really enjoyed this and have just downloaded the second in the series.
Jessica
Cute book. Fast paced, quick read. Enjoyed the whole experience. Hope there are more to this series.
  • Stirring Up Trouble
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • A Wizard for Christmas
  • The Secret
  • Favorite Christmas Cookies
  • Timeline
  • The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society, #1)
  • Solomon & Lord Drop Anchor
  • Crescent Bound (Crescent Bound, #1)
  • Nimpentoad
  • Smoke and Magic (Hayle Coven Histories, #1)
  • Hopeful Leigh (Literal Leigh Romance Diaries, #3)
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • Firecracker
  • Witches (The Cross-Worlds Coven Series, #1)
  • The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1)

Witches Bureau of Investigation (2 books)
  • WBI 2: Witches Bureau of Investigation 2
WBI 2: Witches Bureau of Investigation 2 The Red Gorilla of Oz Brian's Magic Air Guitar The Girl In The Mango Tree Santa Claus in Oz (New Adventures in Oz, #2)

“A mother’s love never wavers in its strength, never falters in its fierce determination, never dilutes despite time or treason.” 1 likes