Start by marking “Manager contra curentului” as Want to Read:
Manager contra curentului

Manager contra curentului

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  16,878 ratings  ·  355 reviews
The world s greatest managers differ in sex, age, and race. They employ different styles and focus on different goals. Despite their differences, great managers share one trait: They break virtually every rule conventional wisdom holds sacred. They don t believe that, with enough training, a person can achieve anything he sets his mind to. They don t try to help people ove ...more
Published (first published May 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Manager contra curentului, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manager contra curentului

Natalia Luneva
The best managers are those that build a work environment where the employees answer positively to these 12 Questions:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encoura
Katie
Aug 26, 2007 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: managers
Shelves: self-improvement
This book had some sound advice as it focused on the four key principles all great managers know and practice: 1) select for talent, 2) define the right outcomes, 3) focus on strengths, and 4) encourage employees to find the right fit. It's worth a read, but I feel like I have to have a degree in psychology (or psychiatry for that matter) to be a great manager. Nonetheless, time will tell!
Stephanie
Yesterday, I had a conversation with my best friend. she told me that her new principal (she's a 5th grade teacher) enrolled her in a number of training sessions. I immediately asked, "Why would she do that? She doesn't even know you yet!" My friend was slightly shocked, I think, because we have been conditioned to believe, as employees, that investment in YOU means that someone cares or thinks you're pretty hot stuff. After reading the first third of FBATR, I feel as though managers do too much ...more
Bob Selden
Other than present the findings of the research studies by the Gallop organisation, I’m not sure what aim the authors had for “First break all the rules”. The title sounds like a “how to” book, yet the introduction does not suggest this.

Chapter one sets out the research results, Chapter two debates what the authors term “conventional wisdom”. The remaining chapters, based on the “4 keys” to successful management, do indeed become a “how to”.

Chapter one is excellent. The 12 questions developed
David
"People don't leave jobs or companies - they leave managers."
Lu
I've just finished reading Marcus Buckingham's book First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently recently, and enjoyed it immensely.

I generally like books that go against conventional wisdom, and this book is quite different than the other management books I've read in the years.

For example, the "break all the rules" in the title were touched upon at the introduction section, and I quote directly from the book:

"The greatest managers in the world do not have mu
misha
A perfectly good tree died for this book.

Ashley
Feb 11, 2010 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a job
Recommended to Ashley by: volenti
I'm not a manager, but this book felt especially relevant to me since my company just did an employee survey based on the 12 questions Gallup formulated through this study. It was interesting to compare my thoughts on the survey without knowing anything about it, to learning all the mechanics and data of 'why' behind it all.

I've also been thinking about my next steps at my current company, and this provided some guidance on really taking time to figure out what I'm good, what I enjoy, and not j
Parcoast
As another research-based business book, this one presented a great point-of-view on managing people. While it does seem that Buckingham departed from his research slightly from time to time, the message still rings true. I would recommend that all managers consider the idea that people are all different, and therefore should be managed differently, not the same.

While I like the main message of this book, I will say that the delivery was somewhat lacking. The content was good, but it just isn't
Eva
Some notes:

People don't change.

Value talent, not experience.

Value outcome, not steps.

Cast people for fit, not the rung on the ladder.

Focus on strengths, not weaknesses.

Happiness at work:
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the past seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to
Viet Hung Nguyen
May 07, 2012 Viet Hung Nguyen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who does people development (developing him/herself as well as others)
The findings in this book would surprise many of us, who do self-development or others-development everyday. It would give you an effective framework in recruiting the right ones, setting the right goals, focusing on the strengths, and assigning the right roles to the subordinates. That'll help to bring the best out of them. What would surprise you is that you'll find many myths that you used to think it is right, but it is not from the findings of Gallup.
Graham
All about managing people.

It would seem that the way to be a successful manager is to find successful people to manage :-)
Faz
I've approached this book from different points of view and, by extension, different needs:

1. as a program manager of a management learning program (2004 - 2007):
to find out if the book is suitable as a thought-provoking gift to a group of new managers who have
just completed their management development program.

2. as a management consultant (2007 - 2011):
to learn the words and pictures used to describe talent, superstar performers, expectations and the
different behaviors.

3. as a manager (
Cathy Allen
Cathy Allen A few years back, in a fit of misguided patriotism, I took a J.O.B. in a government agency with a mission to help people who would otherwise struggle to get by. Two weeks in, I realized I was reporting to a supervisor who knew nothing about being a supervisor. Worse, one of her colleagues decided to "help" by inserting himself into everything our unit did. I had two bosses, and I had no idea how to make either of them happy.

Then one day, I spotted this book on Boss #2's shelf. I'd al
Angel
Dhiraj Sharma
This book was recommended to me by one of my colleagues. I usually don't read management or self help books as I find them boring but this one read like a novel and I could relate to several instances and situations which I face everyday in corporate world.

Probably the best management book written so far. Its based on market research conducted by Gallup over a span of many years.

The results are outstanding and help to break many conventional ground rules followed by Management across many compan
Ed Gibney
This was the book that launched Gallup's HR consulting practice. Taking their organizational core competencies of surveys and data analysis into the workplace yielded a magnificent business book that for once wasn't personality or anecdote driven. Gallup surveyed millions of workers, defined success for a business unit based on quantifiable outcomes, and then conducted qualitative interviews to follow up on what the best managers were doing differently. Understanding the results will make you a ...more
Jenni
Sep 15, 2008 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about everyone
Recommended to Jenni by: Sean Jacobs
Shelves: recommended
Wow -- this book is fantastic!

My favorite thing about this book is that it is researched-based. Gallup did extensive surveys of the most successful managers across mutiple disciplines. So, it's not just another book written from the perspective of one person who had success -- it's the culmination of commonalities of success across fields. Brilliant! The result is a modern, logical way to manage staff.

This book put into words what I could not. I am utilizing the managerial philosophy described
Ezra
This book greatly annoyed me. It poses as giving the secrets to managers to motivate employees into being the best. Very little gave me any confidence it could possibly work.

We have to trust the authors the "great" managers really are since very little information is provided about them to independently judge.

I'd like to see experimental data where the methods described indicate strong evidence they work. Otherwise, there could be any number of other factors influencing why employees improved.
Matt
This book explodes the notion of being well rounded as a good thing and says that great managers value innate "talent" over curiosity, intelligence, or eagerness to learn. I worry that the focus on selecting and grooming talent may be interpreted by some as an excuse to avoid development or training, and to write off strugglers/stragglers as "non-talents." At the very least, Gallup has a unique approach; this is a good litmus test for how much you can buy into what later became their "StrengthsF ...more
Andy
I've been a manager for over 30 years and have read many business books in that time. Without a doubt, "First, Break All the Rules" is the best.

I am usually both fascinated with and annoyed at business books. They claim to have all the answers but usually only have some. They oversell how much they have to offer. But this book delivers.

The book focuses on managing people. It is dead on target regarding how to get the most from employees while both respecting them as people and keeping a clear-e
Michael
When did we lose our common sense? In college? Whenever this happened (and whatever the cause), this book helps to reclaim our common sense when applied to the world of managing employees of small, medium, and large-based companies.
This book is essential reading for economics majors, MBA students, and those working in management. It cuts through the jargon and helps people realize that management requires an understanding of human nature. It returns us to psychology. After all, the business worl
Adama Coulibaly
A book all managers MUST-HAVE and MUST-READ

This is probably the best management book I've ever read. The writing style used by the two authors (Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman) is easy to follow and to grasp. The book is a great digest of how-to, recommendations, do's and don'ts, real life examples and case studies. Apply 20% of this book and you will "translate the talents of your employees into exceptional performance".

I always had many challenges of conventional wisdom of management but ha
Andrew
Maybe I'm already a "great manager" or maybe they were just trying to make me think so, but it seems to me that all of the recommendations in this book are pretty obvious...all employees are different and require different inspiration, focus on your best performers, communicate often and clearly.

Definitely not groundbreaking or even informative from my perspective.
Stella Zawistowski
As a rule, I avoid management guidebooks SO HARD.

This one actually has principles to live by. Some of the ideas in this book are ones you as a middle manager won't be able to implement, although you may find yourself wanting to make the case for them if you can. But even if you can't change the way your organization views worker bees vs managers, there are still principles you can use to a) be someone people want to work for and b) manage your people to peak productivity.

The most important thing
Steve
Gallup interviewed 8000 people. However, only about a dozen people were actually cited in the text. There really wasn't much that this book did for me. There was no "A-ha" moment. The author didn't even explain what these rules are that we are supposed to be breaking. Just disappointing.
Jerry Nechal
I read this a few years back. Overall I did not find this book and its approaches to management all that impressive. I have also heard Buckingham speak at a conference. He strikes me as someone who has not managed a lot but has a lot advice on how to do it.
Shane
Though I'm not currently in a management position, I've always been fascinated by great business and management books. This is the best book I've ever read on management, by a wide margin. This is partly because of the unique Gallup studies used to give the authors' findings a strong empirical edge. Another reason this tops the list of my favorite management books is because the approach (backed up by data) is strength-based rather than focused on weaknesses. The authors' clear up many misconcep ...more
David
Jan 17, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in Management or Supervision
An enjoyable book based on a lot of surveys with some great takeaway messages. I definitely recommend this to anyone in management or supervision, but I also think any employee would gain some valuable info.

Since the information is from surveys of managers instead of a person's own experience, it helps validate the book.

The 12 questions that define a great workplace is my primary takeaway from the book, though the talent section is great as well. As an manager, the 12 questions can help you se
Ben
Didn't find this too be very helpful, although the author had some good points. I listened to it on cd and probably wouldn't have finished the book if I wasn't driving for ten hours.
Learning Material, Implementing Concepts 2 14 Aug 14, 2013 07:00AM
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The Essential Drucker
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
In a world where efficiency and competency rule the workplace, where do personal strengths fit in?

It's a complex question, one that intrigued Cambridge-educated Marcus Buckingham so greatly, he set out to answer it by challenging years of social theory and utilizing his nearly two decades of research experience as a Sr. Researcher at Gallup Organization to break through the preconceptions about a
More about Marcus Buckingham...
Now, Discover Your Strengths Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently

“Talent is the multiplier. The more energy and attention you invest in it, the greater the yield. The time you spend with your best is, quite simply, your most productive time.” 18 likes
“...every time you make a rule you take away a choice and choice, with all of its illuminating repercussions, is the fuel for learning.” 4 likes