Manager contra curentului

Manager contra curentului

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  14,532 ratings  ·  338 reviews
Published (first published May 5th 1998)

Natalia Luneva
The best managers are those that build a work environment where the employees answer positively to these 12 Questions:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encoura...more
Katie
Aug 26, 2007 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: managers
Shelves: self-improvement
This book had some sound advice as it focused on the four key principles all great managers know and practice: 1) select for talent, 2) define the right outcomes, 3) focus on strengths, and 4) encourage employees to find the right fit. It's worth a read, but I feel like I have to have a degree in psychology (or psychiatry for that matter) to be a great manager. Nonetheless, time will tell!
Stephanie
Yesterday, I had a conversation with my best friend. she told me that her new principal (she's a 5th grade teacher) enrolled her in a number of training sessions. I immediately asked, "Why would she do that? She doesn't even know you yet!" My friend was slightly shocked, I think, because we have been conditioned to believe, as employees, that investment in YOU means that someone cares or thinks you're pretty hot stuff. After reading the first third of FBATR, I feel as though managers do too much...more
David
"People don't leave jobs or companies - they leave managers."
Lu
I've just finished reading Marcus Buckingham's book First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently recently, and enjoyed it immensely.

I generally like books that go against conventional wisdom, and this book is quite different than the other management books I've read in the years.

For example, the "break all the rules" in the title were touched upon at the introduction section, and I quote directly from the book:

"The greatest managers in the world do not have mu...more
Bob Selden
Other than present the findings of the research studies by the Gallop organisation, I’m not sure what aim the authors had for “First break all the rules”. The title sounds like a “how to” book, yet the introduction does not suggest this.

Chapter one sets out the research results, Chapter two debates what the authors term “conventional wisdom”. The remaining chapters, based on the “4 keys” to successful management, do indeed become a “how to”.

Chapter one is excellent. The 12 questions developed...more
Parcoast
As another research-based business book, this one presented a great point-of-view on managing people. While it does seem that Buckingham departed from his research slightly from time to time, the message still rings true. I would recommend that all managers consider the idea that people are all different, and therefore should be managed differently, not the same.

While I like the main message of this book, I will say that the delivery was somewhat lacking. The content was good, but it just isn't...more
Eva
Some notes:

People don't change.

Value talent, not experience.

Value outcome, not steps.

Cast people for fit, not the rung on the ladder.

Focus on strengths, not weaknesses.

Happiness at work:
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the past seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to...more
Graham
All about managing people.

It would seem that the way to be a successful manager is to find successful people to manage :-)
misha
A perfectly good tree died for this book.

Faz
I've approached this book from different points of view and, by extension, different needs:

1. as a program manager of a management learning program (2004 - 2007):
to find out if the book is suitable as a thought-provoking gift to a group of new managers who have
just completed their management development program.

2. as a management consultant (2007 - 2011):
to learn the words and pictures used to describe talent, superstar performers, expectations and the
different behaviors.

3. as a manager (...more
Cathy Allen
Cathy Allen A few years back, in a fit of misguided patriotism, I took a J.O.B. in a government agency with a mission to help people who would otherwise struggle to get by. Two weeks in, I realized I was reporting to a supervisor who knew nothing about being a supervisor. Worse, one of her colleagues decided to "help" by inserting himself into everything our unit did. I had two bosses, and I had no idea how to make either of them happy.

Then one day, I spotted this book on Boss #2's shelf. I'd al...more
Angel
Dhiraj Sharma
This book was recommended to me by one of my colleagues. I usually don't read management or self help books as I find them boring but this one read like a novel and I could relate to several instances and situations which I face everyday in corporate world.

Probably the best management book written so far. Its based on market research conducted by Gallup over a span of many years.

The results are outstanding and help to break many conventional ground rules followed by Management across many compan...more
Ed Gibney
This was the book that launched Gallup's HR consulting practice. Taking their organizational core competencies of surveys and data analysis into the workplace yielded a magnificent business book that for once wasn't personality or anecdote driven. Gallup surveyed millions of workers, defined success for a business unit based on quantifiable outcomes, and then conducted qualitative interviews to follow up on what the best managers were doing differently. Understanding the results will make you a...more
Jenni
Sep 15, 2008 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about everyone
Recommended to Jenni by: Sean Jacobs
Shelves: recommended
Wow -- this book is fantastic!

My favorite thing about this book is that it is researched-based. Gallup did extensive surveys of the most successful managers across mutiple disciplines. So, it's not just another book written from the perspective of one person who had success -- it's the culmination of commonalities of success across fields. Brilliant! The result is a modern, logical way to manage staff.

This book put into words what I could not. I am utilizing the managerial philosophy described...more
Ezra
This book greatly annoyed me. It poses as giving the secrets to managers to motivate employees into being the best. Very little gave me any confidence it could possibly work.

We have to trust the authors the "great" managers really are since very little information is provided about them to independently judge.

I'd like to see experimental data where the methods described indicate strong evidence they work. Otherwise, there could be any number of other factors influencing why employees improved....more
Matt
This book explodes the notion of being well rounded as a good thing and says that great managers value innate "talent" over curiosity, intelligence, or eagerness to learn. I worry that the focus on selecting and grooming talent may be interpreted by some as an excuse to avoid development or training, and to write off strugglers/stragglers as "non-talents." At the very least, Gallup has a unique approach; this is a good litmus test for how much you can buy into what later became their "StrengthsF...more
Michael
When did we lose our common sense? In college? Whenever this happened (and whatever the cause), this book helps to reclaim our common sense when applied to the world of managing employees of small, medium, and large-based companies.
This book is essential reading for economics majors, MBA students, and those working in management. It cuts through the jargon and helps people realize that management requires an understanding of human nature. It returns us to psychology. After all, the business worl...more
Adama Coulibaly
A book all managers MUST-HAVE and MUST-READ

This is probably the best management book I've ever read. The writing style used by the two authors (Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman) is easy to follow and to grasp. The book is a great digest of how-to, recommendations, do's and don'ts, real life examples and case studies. Apply 20% of this book and you will "translate the talents of your employees into exceptional performance".

I always had many challenges of conventional wisdom of management but ha...more
Viet Hung Nguyen
May 07, 2012 Viet Hung Nguyen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who does people development (developing him/herself as well as others)
The findings in this book would surprise many of us, who do self-development or others-development everyday. It would give you an effective framework in recruiting the right ones, setting the right goals, focusing on the strengths, and assigning the right roles to the subordinates. That'll help to bring the best out of them. What would surprise you is that you'll find many myths that you used to think it is right, but it is not from the findings of Gallup.
Andrew
Maybe I'm already a "great manager" or maybe they were just trying to make me think so, but it seems to me that all of the recommendations in this book are pretty obvious...all employees are different and require different inspiration, focus on your best performers, communicate often and clearly.

Definitely not groundbreaking or even informative from my perspective.
Steve
Gallup interviewed 8000 people. However, only about a dozen people were actually cited in the text. There really wasn't much that this book did for me. There was no "A-ha" moment. The author didn't even explain what these rules are that we are supposed to be breaking. Just disappointing.
Jerry Nechal
I read this a few years back. Overall I did not find this book and its approaches to management all that impressive. I have also heard Buckingham speak at a conference. He strikes me as someone who has not managed a lot but has a lot advice on how to do it.
David
Jan 17, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in Management or Supervision
An enjoyable book based on a lot of surveys with some great takeaway messages. I definitely recommend this to anyone in management or supervision, but I also think any employee would gain some valuable info.

Since the information is from surveys of managers instead of a person's own experience, it helps validate the book.

The 12 questions that define a great workplace is my primary takeaway from the book, though the talent section is great as well. As an manager, the 12 questions can help you se...more
Ben
Didn't find this too be very helpful, although the author had some good points. I listened to it on cd and probably wouldn't have finished the book if I wasn't driving for ten hours.
Allison Watson
I somewhat disliked this book. A lot of generalities for interviewing 88,000 managers as the book claims. They did provide some real life examples but they weren't until the last page.
Bukik Setiawan
Buku yang membuatku suka dengan employee engagement. Sebuah aplikasi paikologi positif di dunia kerja. Wajib buat setiap calon atasan atau atasan
Guntar Akhmad
Lebih tepatnya sudah ndengerin audio booknya.
Bacaan bagus untuk yg sangat menghargai bakat. Ini adalah prequel dari buku Strength Finder
Monica Pawlan
This book describes the Gallup studies that measured the core elements needed to attract, focus, and keep the most talented employees. The studies also covers the core characteristics of truly great managers. The studies involving 105,000 workers in 2,500 business units linked high scores for the following 12 indicators to increased productivity, profitability, retention, and customer satisfaction.

Attract, Focus, and Keep Talented Employees, pg. 28

2. D...more
Learning Material, Implementing Concepts 2 10 Aug 14, 2013 07:00AM
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • The Essential Drucker: The Best of Sixty Years of Peter Drucker's Essential Writings on Management
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build Your Team, and Get Immediate Results
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
In a world where efficiency and competency rule the workplace, where do personal strengths fit in?

It's a complex question, one that intrigued Cambridge-educated Marcus Buckingham so greatly, he set out to answer it by challenging years of social theory and utilizing his nearly two decades of research experience as a Sr. Researcher at Gallup Organization to break through the preconceptions about a...more
More about Marcus Buckingham...
Now, Discover Your Strengths Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently

“Talent is the multiplier. The more energy and attention you invest in it, the greater the yield. The time you spend with your best is, quite simply, your most productive time.” 17 likes
“...every time you make a rule you take away a choice and choice, with all of its illuminating repercussions, is the fuel for learning.” 4 likes