read excerpt* *Different edition

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Wearing her highest heels and hottest pregnancy jeans, Amy Sprenger marched into her doctor’s office, latte in hand, ready to finally see whether her baby was a boy or a girl. Sure, sure, this appointment was supposed to be about checking the health of the baby, but everyone who’s ever been there knows it’s really about looking for what lays, or doesn’t lay, between the le...more
Published August 5th 2012 by Beyond the Page Publishing (first published June 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bumps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bumps

Ruth
I received this as a free Kindle book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the sarcastic wit about a tough subject. Annie and Jake are expecting their first child when suddenly they are thrown into the high risk pregnancy club. Having been there myself, I can relate to some of the things written about. I know that some readers found this couple obnoxious but sometimes you really need humor to get you through the tough spots in life. Annie was certainly very self centered and Jake was very patient....more
Norm
SARCASTIC FUN

I’m as much a fan of sarcasm as the next guy. It has a place as one of the roots of true humor, going back to the caveman days.

Caveman #1: “Do you think it would hurt if I hit myself on the head with this club?”

Caveman #2 (rolling his eyes): “Of course not. Go for it, dude.”
And the first concussion was born.

But it is possible to swim too deep in the sarcasm pool, and Dr. Clifford Lazarus of Psychology Today wrote that sarcasm is ‘hostility disguised as humor.’ I’m not sure I agree,...more
Author Groupie
When Shirley You Jest! Book Awards asked me to review their Shirley LOL winner, Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family by Amy Sprenger, I was intrigued after reading the Acknowledgments; I so understood and appreciated Sprenger's tart humor as well as her point of view,
". . . James Frey and A Million Little Pieces and- boom- everybody was all up in arms about 'fabrication' and 'truth.' What a drag. Thanks for ruining it for the r...more
Jenne
HILARIOUS!!! This book had me laughing out loud all by myself! I am 8 months pregnant and in total need of a laugh attack! She is funny, endearing, and a little bit crazy, but her stories are so well told that you feel like you are there! Even if they aren't totally true (her words not mine) it makes you wish it was!
Hannah Shows
If your thinking about having a baby, read this!

First of all I feel like me and Amy are soul sisters, her reactions are so close to the way I feel like I would react in that situation it's crazy! This book is worth every penny! It puts a whole new spin on high risk pregnancy thats comical and down to earth instead of boring and straight laced. Great read, I would definitely recommend!
Jenevieve
Described as the Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed-Rest, and One Bat-Shit Crazy Famiy and that about sums it up. Everything was going hunky dory in Annie's life until her u/s to check on the gender, er the health, of her baby and then it went downhill with incompetent cervix, irritable uterus, 4mos of complete bedrest with a complete remodel of their home in progress.

Amy is the author of the award-winning blog, Snarky Mommy, and brings her singular humor and wit to a situat...more
Shinder
A cute easy read with a lot of sarcasm throughout the book. While I can appreciate sarcasm and humour I felt like the author overloaded it every chance she got. I found Annie and jake to be completely obnoxious and juvenile almost to the point where it felt like they should not be having a child since they themselves were behaving like petulant children, however when they would have a rare softer moment they felt likeable. Happy for their happy ending but throughout the book I found myself reall...more
Underground Book Reviews
There isn't anything funny about pregnancy complications. But when Amy Sprenger talks about her experience in and out of the hospital while a baby is incubating in her belly, it's non-stop laughter. With witty dialogue and amusing side-remarks, Amy turns a nightmarish nine months into a hilarious tale of love and family.

As the first place winner of the 2013 Shirley You Jest competition, there is no doubt that Baby Bumps is funny. Amy starts the book wearing a "knocked up" T-shirt and spends most...more
Kat
So relatable

This book is a great read before or after birth! I read it while pregnant with my second and it's an honest, refreshing look at the horrors and miracles of pregnancy, delivery, and becoming a new mommy!
Libraryscat
As someone who also spent 14 weeks on bed rest, only get up to pee, no such thing as showers, I found this book hysterical. The author really captures the hardships that become life stories once that bundle of joy is in your arms.
Suzi
Really funny and well-written.
Erin Obriecht
I don't think the author of this book is as funny as she thinks she is. but it was still entertaining enough to finish.
Cindy
If you like sarcastic wit (as I do) then you will love this book. Very cute and fast read.
Laura Gephart
I laughed out loud at this book! Finished in half a day it was so good.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Honestly is the best policy, right...well that is what Amy Sprenger thinks as she writes about pregnancy motherhood and really life in general. The story is funny, honest and raw. Spenger holds nothing back and I could relate to her and her struggles. This is a great read for all mothers, but beware: you will laugh, you could cry and you will have fun reading this book: 5 stars!!!
Kari Hackbarth
I was hooked on this book by the end of the second page - I literally thought about going home and reading it nonstop over the past week and got embarrassed when I caught myself smiling at it/might have giggled out loud while I was waiting for an eye appt. I'm also not too proud to admit I leaked a few tears, on more than one occasion. Clearly, I loved this book.
Charity
Cute, quirky way to read the story of a woman put on bed rest for half of her pregnancy. It was interesting to see it from her perspective (and to read all these witty sarcasms I only wish to be able to think of someday) as she lets the reader know how serious the situation was but also keeps it upbeat so as not to make the book depressing.
Carol
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Stacey Brown
The stories are hysterical and will definitely resonate with anyone whose gone through pregnancy and childbirth. But the narrator is so annoying, self-centered, and unappreciative that it makes the book hard to read at times.
Kim
Best pregnancy "fiction-ish" book I have ever read. This book is hilarious! I love all the snarky comments layered with the real life moments and touching moments. A great read for anyone who is pregnant or has had a baby.
Shannon
I really enjoyed this story of a woman's experience being high risk throughout her pregnancy. I do wish it would have continued with the life after pregnancy side because that's when the real din begins.
Nicole Saunches
You do not have to be pregnant or a parent to enjoy this book. All you need is a good sense of humor. This book will definitely make you laugh and possibly make you cry.
Megan Kucia
Overall, nice, entertaining, short read. I kept waiting for the author's husband to turn into the bad guy though, bc it seemed like they hated each other until the end.
Chelly
Funny as heck. Was tge author self centered heck yeah but so are most pregnant women at some point. Loved Jake the husband and Jake tge contractor.
Elizabeth

This book was hilarious and I would recommend it to just about anyone wanting a light hearted, funny, and fast paced book.
Alexandria Pitts
Good read. Looking forward to reading more by Amy Sprenger. She has a great sense of humor that most moms can relate too.
Kimberly
Just a fast read. Was trying to find something relatable. Didn't really succeed at that but it was a fast easy read.
Dana Clark

This book made me laugh at so many things because its the truth.... Great read!!
Colbey Jones
I love a book that makes me laugh out loud and this one did just that from start to finish!
Jessica
Laughed out loud several times with this book! A must read when you are expecting!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Amy Sprenger is the author of the award-winning blog SnarkyMommy.com, where she tells it like it is and isn't afraid to make fun of herself or her questionable parenting prowess. She has three young kids and a penchant for getting herself into ridiculous situations. A former news and sports reporter, Amy lives with her husband and children in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood where she silently...more
More about Amy Sprenger...
Over My Dead Potty Yes Mommy: The Mayhem and Madness of Not Saying No