Start by marking “We Dine With Cannibals (An Accidental Adventure, #2)” as Want to Read:
We Dine With Cannibals (An Accidental Adventure, #2)

We Dine With Cannibals (An Accidental Adventure #2)

Oliver and Celia Navel have suffered through a whole summer exploring with their father’s nemesis Sir Edmund, and are ready to begin a new school year glued to the TV.  But when their mother vanishes (again) in search of the Lost City of Gold: El Dorado, the twins must trek from the ruins of ancient temples through the shadowy forests of the Amazon. This time, they’ll need ...more
Published January 3rd 2013 by Puffin Books (first published November 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about We Dine With Cannibals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Dine With Cannibals

Amelia
Feb 27, 2012 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is WAY better then you think it is! In the beginning I thought it wasn't very exciting and I felt like I didn't want to read it.And then later I tried reading it some more.Then I really liked it. It turned out to be a really good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you like it too!!
Michael Scotto
Dec 05, 2011 Michael Scotto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I enjoyed the first book in this series quite a bit, but I was even more impressed with the sequel. I appreciate the sense that this is a true, planned-out series, and the hints of growth in both of the Navel children (especially in Celia) are rewarding. The only downside to having read both in such a short period is that I have to wait for the third installment!
Heather
Really, really funny, and even better than the first one. I am excited for the third episode, although I imagine I will be waiting a while as this is a fairly new book. I think elementary and middle school age readers will get a kick out of this book, and it would also make a fun family read. This is ridiculous adventure at its very best!
Dana
Dec 14, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is becoming my new favorite series! It is funny, well written, and full of adventure. I even think I liked this book better than the first and will look forward to the next one in the series!

Grades 4 and up.
Cassandra
Jun 27, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Band 1: Wir werden nicht von Yaks gefressen*: *hoffentlich
Band 2: Wir werden von Kannibalen zum Essen eingeladen*:*oder gegrillt
Band 3: Wir ringen nicht mit Tintenfischen* *mögen aber Tintenfischringe: Nie wieder ein unfreiwilliges Abenteuer!

Im zweiten Band, werden Oliver und Celia keine Ruhe vor dem Fernseher finden, denn ein neues Abenteuer lockt. Diesmal begeben sich die Zwillinge unfreiwillig nach Peru und auf die Suche nach der Stadt aus Gold - Eldorado. Dabei erleben sie viele gefährliche
Katie Lawrence
What a fun adventure-filled book! I loved all of the crazy action, the reluctant adventurers we find in Oliver and Celia and the mentions of historical locations. I could see many of my reluctant readers devouring this book, especially because the chapters are short and exciting. Very fun read.
Cyl
Feb 19, 2013 Cyl rated it it was amazing
A truly fun book following the further adventures of Celia and Oliver Naveg who hate anything having to do with adventures. The closest they want to get to adventure is the television. Two more books are slated for this series and I am looking forward to the books.
Vicky
Apr 11, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My kids LOVE these books!! Lots of fun, action and adventure. And a to-be-continued, so now they need to read the third!
Stephanie
Fun Fun Fun! I want to read more! Highly enjoyable, even if TV is involved.
Cornelia Franke
Sep 06, 2013 Cornelia Franke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinderbücher
Figuren: Die Navel-Zwillinge sind im zweiten Teil ihren Charakterzügen treu geblieben. Wollen sie doch am liebsten nur ihre Fernsehsendungen sehen (einen Kabelanschluss!) und ein langweilige, unaufgeregte Kindheit verbringen, werden sie trotzdem auf ein Reise in das Amazonasgebiet verschleppt. Oliver entwickelt sich dennoch so langsam zu einem Abenteurer, mehr und mehr möchte er das ausprobieren, was er in den Action-Serien so toll findet. Auch Celia entwickelt sich zu einer Forschungsreisenden, ...more
Susan
Feb 26, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
First off, my review is biased. My family happened to be in NYC for the book launch party at the Rubin Museum for London's first Accidental Adventure. Mr. London was so charming to my kids and thrilled for them to be there ("I'm so thrilled to have someone who is not my friend or relative here.") and the event was such great fun, that I think I am predisposed to liking all his books.

That said, I liked this book even more than the first. The first took place in Tibet, which I know little about. I
Ms. Yingling
In this sequel to We Are Not Eaten by Yaks, twins Celia and Oliver Navel are back, reluctantly being sent on adventures. This time, they are in search of their mother, who has run off to find the Lost Library of Alexandria, and are frequently forced to accompany Sir Edmund on dangerous trips because their adventurer father lost a bet to him. They start by almost being killed in Incan ruins my booby trapped khipus, and then, when their father is kidnapped, continue on in the company of daredevil ...more
Matthue
Jan 04, 2013 Matthue rated it it was amazing
Equal parts funny, clever, and terrifying, "We Dine with Cannibals" is probably the only book I'd ever consider getting for a pre-teen that has the word "Cannibal" in the title. (That includes any Fine Young Cannibals album, by the way.)

The books in the Accidental Adventures series--this is the second--tell the story of identical twins, who, as the title intimates, would much rather be watching adventure shows on TV than going on adventures themselves. But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun, an
Tricia
2 or 2.5 stars, but I'll round up since my 10yo son really enjoyed it. It's one of those books with interminable plot twists and "sudden twists of fate" (which Celia hates, see p 243) that I find vaguely annoying, but the boy really eats up.

Even if the phrase is difficult to say when reading aloud, I did adore the recurring theme of Wally Worm's Word World. Apparently it's appeal transcends cultures; most characters except Oliver benefitted greatly from its didactic approach!

We got this in an
mandyfujita
This is the second book in the series of An Accidental Adventure. At the end of the first book "We are not Eaten by Yaks", Dr. Navel lost a bet from a fellow explorer, Sir Edmund S. Titheltorpe-Schmidt III. Sir Edmund got the services of Oliver and Celia Navel, Dr. Navel's children, during the breaks from school. Sir Edmund needed them to help him find the Lost Library of Alexandria. Sir Edmund is using the children because he knows that their mother is looking for the same thing.

The story was
M.
Apr 25, 2012 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like non-stop adventure, danger, and hopeful attitudes. Celia and Oliver have to spend vacation time with the dastardly Sir Edmund S. Titheltorpe-Schmidt III because their dad, a famous explorer, lost a bet. Sir Edmund would like to kill the twins, but it has to be an accident. In the meantime, he'd like them to find the lost library of Alexandria. Luckily the kids have been trained from infancy to survive even as they're adventuring in Peru, the Amazon jungle, and New York. All this is ...more
Melissa
Aug 11, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute sequel to the first book.

"In their second unwanted adventure, We Dine with Cannibals, Oliver and Celia will travel from the ruins of ancient temples to the shadowy forests of the Amazon. They'll need all their reality TV survival skills when they ride a llama, race the rapids, and even fly an airplane! If that's not enough excitement for you (it is decidedly too much excitement for Oliver and Celia Navel), they'll be forced to learn the proper etiquette for a cannibal feast and confront th
Annajune
Jun 23, 2013 Annajune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Another good quick kids book. I have enjoyed this series. The story is interesting and pulls you in so you want to read the whole thing. The Navel twins, who would rather be sitting watching TV, end up in the amazon looking for El Dorado and dealing with their nemesis, Sir Edward. I especially like the small (two pages) at the end that explain what is historical and encourages more exploration.
Heather
May 05, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
My son and I have been reading this series at night before he goes to bed. (The third book comes out in just a few days!) Although the Navel twins would rather sit in front of their television, my son thinks (most) of their adventures sound like fun. We can't wait to read more about the Navels in the next two books.
Kate
Jan 09, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Better than the first in the series. Celia and Oliver live through their summer with Sir Edmund only to be suspended from school and end up on a quest to the Amazon. Characters slightly less irritating than before and the plot has improved, but phrasing still too often repetitious -- don't editors read anything aloud?
Debra
Aug 22, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, humor, fiction
Laugh out loud funny. The sequel just as good as the first book. This would make a great family read aloud. This would really appeal to guys, but the female character shares the spotlight equally in both offering knowledge and participating in the adventure.
Christie
This one I could not put down. The adventures continue for the Navel twins. Just when you think that they will have a normal life with their family you are reminded that adventures are always adventures. Till next time.
Rebecca
Sep 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
More wonderful adventures featuring the tv-loving Navel twins. So many wonderful exploits, ridiculous moments and general awesomeness.
Mark Kastorff
Mark Kastorff rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Ian Crawford
Ian Crawford rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Emmag
Emmag rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Fae Bernadette
Fae Bernadette rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Psychic Detective Yakumo Vol. 4 (Suzuka Oda)
  • 悪魔とドルチェ 2 [Akuma to Dolce 2]
  • Gilda Joyce: The Bones of the Holy  (Gilda Joyce, #5)
  • Daniel X: The Manga, Vol. 3 (Daniel X: The Manga, #3)
  • Cat Girl's Day Off
  • オオカミ少女と黒王子 2 [Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji 2] (Wolf Girl and Black Prince, #2)
  • AAA, Vol. 03
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Villain's Lair (The Gecko and Sticky, #3)
  • Fake Mustache
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Whites of Their Eyes
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • Searching for Super

An Accidental Adventure (4 books)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • We Give a Squid a Wedgie (An Accidental Adventure, #3)
  • We Sled With Dragons (An Accidental Adventure, #4)

“I am still a bit mad at you for kidnapping me and putting our children's lives in danger."

"There's no how-to manual for parenting, Oggie. I'm doing the best I can.”
5 likes