Blood and Water and Other Tales

Blood and Water and Other Tales

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published February 1st 1988 by Poseidon Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Water and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Water and Other Tales

Mike
Sep 09, 2012 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is an entertaining collection of dark, macabre short stories. Like most collections there is some variation in quality, but here that means from the merely good to the very excellent. The thirteen tales all invoke the shadows that lie in the human heart and in the dark spaces of our world. Some are merely surreal while others are more disturbing entering the realm of the grotesque, but in each there is a vein of sardonic humor.

I know that I had read a couple of them before – surely no one e...more
CasualDebris
For my full-length review and reviews on the individual stories, please visit Casual Debris.
My rating is 7/10... had a hard time translating to 3/5 or 4/5.

Amid its varied approach, the stories in Blood and Water offer tales narrated by both men and women, as well as by other more unusual narrators, such as a boot and a fly. Stories take place in England, India and the US, from Manhattan and Greenwich Village to the Louisiana bayou. We have tales about houses, family histories, vengeance, psychol...more
Doug
Disturbing, vibrant stories. My first time reading McGrath but I was blown away from the first. Has some gothic tinges (Poe-ish in places) and magical realism, although it's plenty creepy and gorgeously crafted even when he's playing it straight.
Clint
Another really really underrated author, I've never met anyone in real life who's even heard of him, but he writes this really deadpan, funny, scary stuff. Highly highly recommended.
Claudia
Avere un padre psichiatra ...

... influenza molto il tuo modo di scrivere e il tuo modo di vivere le emozioni. Soprattutto un padre che ha lavorato in uno dei più famosi manicomi criminali inglesi, Broadmoor, e in'epoca in cui gli psichiatri (anni'50 e '60)erano portatori di un sapere assoluto a proposito della mente dell'uomo. Questa serie di racconti filtrano l'esperienza di vita di Patrick McGrath che qui coglie l'occasione per narrare, in forma alquanto romanzata, alcuni temi cari alla psichi...more
Jail
Mcgrath is more of a stylist than a storyteller. His sentences have a jeweled and funny factuality to them, even when the subject matter is pedestrian but it especially works on the more nightmarish and surreal turns. In particular the story "The Skewer" about a psychotic tormented by miniature buzzing psychiatrists.
My difficulty is when the stories are a bit too tongue-in-cheek, I have difficulty caring if I feel that as well as not being much more than an excercise in style the author does no...more
Rattling Bones
Ambrose Syme is five stars.
Seth
Easily one of the best books of short stories I've ever read. I tend to treat my copy rather gently, since it's out of print and I like it so much. The stories themselves are strange, surreal, heartbreaking and deviously clever, Gothic and macabre and above-all unique. My personal favorites are "The Boot's Tale" (which is possibly my favorite short story ever) and "Ambrose Syme" (which is a bit more serious, but no less horrifying). But really, all the stories in this collection deserve to be re...more
Daniel Etherington
An enjoyable selection of short stories, mostly with grotesque or gothic twists and turns. Some set in the US, others in the UK, many with common themes (colonialism; rot & decay; questionable sanity).

Written with an ornate, frequently excessive style, some of the stories are are brilliant (the stand-out story is the Southern Gothic 'Marmilion') while others are more experimental and borderline padding (such as a PA story narrated by a boot, and another narrated by a fly).
Simona
Mi dispiace S. gr Mcgrath,
ma questa volta non ci siamo.
Dimenticate per un attimo le emozioni che "Follia" vi ha regalato, perché in questi 13 racconti non c'è nulla, o per lo meno nulla che valga l'emozione.
Le tematiche care a Mcgrath come l'ossessione, la passione che sfocia in delitto, la follia, l'ironia emergono, ma scivolano via senza lasciare nulla, il vuoto assoluto.
Mcgrath scrive in modo ineccepibile e meraviglioso, ma non mi ha conquistato.
Frank
Okay, this wasn't the whole book. Just a couple stories in the Penguin 60's series.

I did like "The Black Hand of the Raj". It seemed to work, as it was more tongue in cheek, which is the only way his style of macabre tale telling works for me.

I likes me little books though.
Mark Richfield
Aug 26, 2013 Mark Richfield rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Art, writing, science, film, engineering, political & military science, occult, and time travel.
Brilliant literary horror... if there is such a thing. i was blown away by this man. I read it about the time I discovered Clive Barker and he took quite a number of levels beyond Mr Barker.
Gregor Xane
Overwritten for comic effect or simply overwritten? I can't say. Either way, it's entertaining stuff.
Adam
The Angel and The Lost Explorer are macabre, disturbing and entertaining, more on these later.
Lisa
Blood & Water & Othr by Patrick Mcgrath (1989)
Mats Malmqvist
Det här är bra!!!
Peretdesnos
Peretdesnos marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kynthos-the-Archer
Kynthos-the-Archer marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Lucille R. Taitz
Lucille R. Taitz marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Emily Ellen
Emily Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Natalie Carey
Natalie Carey marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lillie Teeters
Lillie Teeters marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Patrick McGrath was born on 7th February, 1950 in London and grew up near Broadmoor Hospital where his father was Medical Superintendent. He was educated at Stonyhurst College. He is a British novelist whose work has been categorized as gothic fiction. He is married to actress Maria Aitken and lives in New York City.
More about Patrick McGrath...
Asylum Spider The Grotesque Trauma Dr. Haggard's Disease