Bitter Almonds

Bitter Almonds

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Edith can hardly believe it when she learns that Fadila, her sixty-year-old housemaid, is completely illiterate. How can a person living in Paris in the third millennium possibly survive without knowing how to read or write? How does she catch a bus, or pay a bill, or withdraw money from the bank? Why it's unacceptable! She thus decides to become Fadila’s French teacher. B...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Europa Editions (first published January 1st 2011)

Keirstan
I feel some nostalgia for Laurence Cosse after enjoying the lovely ''A Novel Bookstore', a few years ago. 'Bitter Almonds', however, was not more of the same. Cosse's latest work is the story of two women, Edith and Fadila, the former serving as a teacher/friend to the sixty-year-old unschooled latter, attempting to teach her to read and write. And so the novel goes, page after page of Edith grasping to find a way to make the written word available to Fadila. Despite the lack of plot and charact...more
Thais
Puntavo questo libro da un bel po', da almeno un anno direi, e le recensioni che avevo letto non erano molto incoraggianti, ma visto che al Salone del libro lo regalavano con l'acquisto di altri due libri l'ho preso volentieri.
Ecco, forse c'era un motivo se le recensioni non erano positive. La quarta di copertina parla di "due amiche", ma qui di amicizia non c'è nemmeno l'ombra. C'è un po' di compassione, da parte della francese Edith per la marocchina Fadila a cui tenta di insegnare a leggere e...more
Ashley Farley
Vivek Tejuja
It is so important to be educated. Is it not? So much so that we – the ones who are educated almost take it for granted. A privilege of sorts. We can never imagine not being literate. To us, that is the core of everything, which as I said often gets overlooked for whatever reason. I tried teaching someone once a long time ago, taught him to read a little and to me that remains closest to my heart. It was not much but it mattered and reading “Bitter Almonds” by Laurence Cossé brought back all tho...more
Paulita Kincer
I read Bitter Almonds by Laurence Cossé a French author. The novel is set in Paris. The main character, Edith, is a middle class French mother. She agrees to hire the building supervisor's mother to do her ironing three hours each week. The woman in her 60s, Fadila, is from Morocco. From the beginning, Edith is annoyed with Fadila because she doesn't keep regular hours. Soon, Edith learns that Fadila never learned to read or write, either in Arabic or French.
"Before long, she is bringing letters...more
Miriam
Edith, an upper-middle class French novelist, undertakes teaching Fadila, a Moroccan-born woman in her 60's who does her family's ironing, how to read. It's significantly more difficult than she'd anticipated--perhaps altogether impossible--but the two of them persevere, in fits and starts, over the course of several years.

In the process, Edith becomes increasingly aware of Fadila's life, her family relationships, her struggles to maintain her dignity, her sometimes brutal past experiences. Que...more
Lorri Steinbacher
I wasn't sure how I felt about this book. The literacy learning that was integral to the plot feltm overdone and repetitive. Of course, part of that may have been a narrative device, giving the reader the same feeling of frustration that Edith felt in trying to help Fadila learn, but still I skimmed it. You did't get much sense of Edith as a character, but Fadila was well-fleshed out and I liked her. ENding felt flat.
Nancy
A quiet book where you don't think much is happening, but it is--so much beneath the surface. Carefully crafted, it reveals the life of one elderly Moroccan immigrant, Fadila, and the woman, almost totally her opposite, who endeavors to teach Fadila to read and write. Fadila comes to work for Edith a couple of days a week, and Edith who works at home as a translator, soon realizes that Fadila can neither read nor write. And so begins an effort to open up the doors of literacy to Fadila. Edith so...more
Sara
A story I couldn't completely get excited about, as I got bored with the insular, spiral style of storytelling. The plot centered on repeated attempts to reach out to teach someone with a western idea of education and share what literacy can mean within a culture that is foreign. It was meaningful subject and the social cultural awkwardness real. I will try this again when I am in a quieter reading mood.
Elizabeth La Lettrice
I couldn't have been less interested to finish this story but it was so short (still took me a week to get through) that I felt I had to. This is the story between Edith and Fadila, employer/employee, teacher/student, friends. The novel is mostly a recounting of Edith's efforts to teach Fadila how to read and write with the occasional interjection of familial anecdotes. It, like teaching, is A LOT of repetition of the same scenarios. And then ACTION(!), and scene ends. Irritating.

*Because I don'...more
Darcy
An interesting look at adult literacy told through the lens of culture, language, age barriers as a thoughtfully and gracefully crafted novel. As far as French Literature goes, very accessible in terms of writing style and length. French Novels tend to be ultra-highbrow, and incredibly cerebral, and never brief. This one I would definitely recommend to friends.
Sylvie
I thought I had read good things about this book, but now I’m not sure I could have, so maybe I just put it on my French shopping list because of Au Bon Roman (A Novel Bookstore). The subject, a French woman who decides to teach a Moroccan woman how to read, was certainly interesting, but it was incredibly repetitive and I just kept waiting for something to happen. I guess it does in the end, but the resolution was rather abrupt and particularly disappointing—a bit of a cop-out, like Cossé didn’...more
Norma
Edith is a middle class book translator in Paris. Fadila is a Moroccan immigrant who irons Edith's clothes and the clothes of other Parisians to pay the rent on her tiny room. The story begins when Edith tries to teach Fadila how to read and write hoping it will improve Fadila's life and circumstances. Edith gives it her best shot but Fadila can't hang onto the written word. A thought-provoking tale about class and the importance of literacy.
Kate
I loved Cosse's A Novel Bookstore, but I couldn't really get excited about this one - a book about a woman and her employee and the cultural differences between them. I don't know, it just frustrated me. I don't know if it felt incomplete (although it certainly was a story) or I didn't feel the characters were developed enough, but it wasn't my favorite.
Sharron
I enjoyed two of Cosse's other books but this one just fell flat. I like stories about immigrants, books set in Paris and I think literacy is crucial. Unfortunately, Cosse never succeeded in making either the teacher or the student come alive here. Disappointing.
Lindsay
I love how realistic this book was. Accurately depicts that when you branch out and invest in something hard, outside your comfort zone, there isn't always a happy ending. But that isn't the part that makes us grow anyway. Very quick and pleasurable read.
Lelia
Bitter Almonds was bitter period. This is a book I should have really liked because I'm a huge advocate of adult literacy programs. I am simply not a huge advocate of this book. Bitter - yuck.
Nicola
This book has in its favour that it is short. And even then, it still took me a week or more to finish. Interesting premise, but not one I would insist others read.
Cyd
A sobering look at how challenging it is to learn--or try to teach someone--to read late in life. The situation is complicated further when the learner is an immigrant.
Amma
really?!? The ending was annoyingly abrupt sigh. I love her writing but this story was disappointing (2.5/3)
Ann
Repetitious. Kept waiting for something, anything. And then it ends.
Blair
Just can't get into it. Some books are not for me.
Malek
Marina
Marina added it
Jun 25, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Ruby Kent
Ruby Kent marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
She was first a journalist in the French newspaper Le Quotidien de Paris and then at the French public radio France Culture. Most of her novels have been published by the French publishing house Gallimard.
More about Laurence Cossé...
A Novel Bookstore A Corner of the Veil: A Novel An Accident in August Le Mobilier National Vous n'écrivez plus?