Start by marking “inSignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World” as Want to Read:
inSignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World

inSignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
You Matter More Than You Realize - If you're looking for a life of meaning, take hope. God wants to use you in his surprising plan to change the world. Who would have guessed that Jesus would conquer evil not through force or victory, but through defeat? He makes the weak strong, the foolish wise, and the insignificant matter. Author and pastor Chris Travis shares powerful ...more
Audio
Published August 1st 2012 by Oasis Audio

To ask other readers questions about inSignificant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about inSignificant

Martin
Aug 08, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Travis has written a beautiful little book. I was reminded of some great films like To Sir With Love, Stand and Deliver and Freedom Writers. In other words, this book inspires. But it goes beyond mere inspiration and challenges us. You may feel insignificant. You may be insignificant. And God may be planning to use your insignificance to change the world.

I had to stop reading several times to let my tears settle. It is hard to see a grown man cry and in this narrative, he hurts and cries.
Debra Torgerson
Worth your time.

I liked this book and think it is worth reading. Mr Travis shares from his life experiences as a pastor and as a teacher in Harlem, he is letting us see that even if we feel that our job or station in life seems insignificant that God sees us differently. That our system comes from the Lord and following Him. Mr Travis talked about our love for God and what that might look like.But he left out that when we understand God's love for us and really grasp that,then all the rest falls
Marie
Dec 01, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
My curiousity was piqued after reading the description of this book so I entered the first-reads giveaway and to my surprise I was a winner! I really enjoyed this book. It was refreshing and really thought provoking. Enjoyed the author's stories from his teaching years. Would recommend this book to anyone that is spiritual.
LeAnne
Sep 11, 2015 LeAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all seek significance, but sometimes that search can be self-centered. Real significance comes from my relationship to God and commitment to seek his will instead of my own. These profound thoughts on where we find meaning and self-worth are given in the context of two harrowing years in the toughest middle school in Harlem. I am no wimp, but I would not want to take on what the author did with students hurling obscenities and totally ignoring your instruction. He concluded that making a diff ...more
Allison Fetch
May 28, 2014 Allison Fetch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a free ebook from BookBub and randomly chose it off of my extensive kindle list...I'm glad I gave it a read. The author's anecdotes of teaching in a rough (to say the least) public school in NYC had me at times laughing out loud, shaking my head, and truly engaging in the lives of not only the author but also the kids he taught. Most of the chapters, after the introductory anecdote, read like sermons. Which makes sense since the book was written by a pastor! I walked away with ...more
Edward Barnett
May 26, 2013 Edward Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with great insight. I felt that this book was speaking directly to me. It is a powerful reminder that sometimes one is not where they want to be but where God needs them to be.
Michael Brown
Apr 22, 2013 Michael Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book... will bring tears to your eyes at times... would love to visit his church sometime.
Jessi Kelly
Insignificant is a book about finding significance in the everyday things you do and how they work into God's plan for you. Chris Travis, the author of the book, is the pastor of Everyday Christian Church in Manhattan but before that he was a middle school teacher in the toughest school in NYC. He writes about his teaching experience and how it affected his walk in faith. I, for one, really appreciated his honesty. One of the big things in my faith is to be honest. If you're having a tough time, ...more
Mara Kim
Dec 19, 2012 Mara Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever feel like your life doesn't matter? If so, this book is for you. The author, Chris Travis is a former atheist. He is now a pastor of Everyday Christian Church in Manhattan. Prior to that, he felt lead to teach middle school. Not any middle school but the most dangerous one in New York. This middle school had the greatest number of student injuries per capita.

During his teaching, he spent many days keeping the students in line. He cleaned up graffiti, dealt with kids who were foul-mouthed an
Diane Roberts
Jun 11, 2014 Diane Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, I wish it was longer or had a second volume

Excellent book, I wish it was longer or had a second volume

Wonderful, I wanted to hear more. it gave me many things to think about.
I will recommend this book to my friends.
Jana R Turner
Jun 03, 2014 Jana R Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book!

I loved this book! It is inspiring and uplifting in such a charming and gentle way. It is a quick read, but one that will stick with you long after you finish.
Jason Lewis
Nov 18, 2012 Jason Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-won
Insignificant shows a great perspective that follows the ups and downs through our own questions of what we are supposed to do throughout different points in our lives. Travis recounts the toughest scenes he has personally experienced to show the steps through the process of redemption and recovery via redemption, prayer, and self soul searching.

Through detail, Travis shows that you can find the smallest things in life that can eventually create the greatest positive impact on those around you,
Jill Kemerer
Loved the message of this book. We put so much emphasis on our personal success, but in God's eyes we're most successful when we humble ourselves and love others as ourselves. I found Chris Travis's honesty about his spiritual state the first year of teaching at an inner city school refreshing and relatable. Too often I only think of my glory--and God breaks me down through seeming failures. To read Chris's transformation and how God used him in his second year of teaching really inspired me.

I w
Barb
Oct 22, 2012 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will make you laugh and cry and maybe even make your stomach churn with the author's as he shares about what God taught him about himself during a two year stint of teaching in a dangerous inner city school. The author shares very candidly about his experiences, his failures,and learning things about himself that he didn't always like. Ultimately he learned through it all that we matter to God. God invites each one of us to rely on Him and become part of His story.

"Book has
Nancy Anderson
4.19 of 43, 5/20/14.
Susan Smith
Jul 24, 2014 Susan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puts our insignificance and significance in perspective.
Pattie Robinson
Jun 14, 2014 Pattie Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very life changing
To.jfoster
Nov 21, 2012 To.jfoster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished

The author draws from his personal experience of insignificance to discover where true significance is really found. I found his story and the painful experiences he endured to be both: challenging and inspiring. I was humbled by his trust and obedience and often found myself wondering, "would I be so courageous - to put my faith into practical action in a similar way?". That question remains; but at least I have a vision of the trajectory such faith would take!
Chris Blair
Sep 18, 2013 Chris Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris writes like he speaks. It was especially fun reading this because I know Chris and could infuse his voice and inflections in the writing. Amazing stories leading to amazing insights. Well done, Chris!
Paul
Nov 27, 2012 Paul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from the FirstReads program at Goodreads.com with the promise to review it.

I have begun to read this book and will edit my review upon completion.
Matthew Kern
Nov 25, 2013 Matthew Kern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris brings an honest and moving story to us through nine well written chapters. Realigning to read as a Christian. Probably inspiring to read as anything else.

You're silly not to read this one.
Shannon
Dec 12, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A personal story that made me reflect on my own life at times. Definitely made some points to think on for a while.

I won a copy of this book in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Lynette Karg
Was surprised how many of the same challenges we wrestle with in a rural ministry setting.
Megan
Oct 08, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you feel loved and let you know you do have a purpose in this world!
Oct 26, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2012
Insightful, moving, and challenging. I highly recommend this one!
Pat Wendt
Oct 01, 2014 Pat Wendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayers-and-lies
I enjoyed this book. Thought provoking
Monique
Jul 17, 2014 Monique rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggling to get through this one.
Erika
Jan 26, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.
Andrew McComas
Andrew McComas marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
DelRica
DelRica marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Miracles: A Journalist Looks at Modern Day Experiences of God's Power
  • When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up
  • What's Your Secret?: Freedom through Confession
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • If You Have a Craving, I Have a Cure: Experience Food, Faith, and Fulfillment a Whole New Way
  • Messy: God Likes It That Way
  • Loving God When You Don't Love the Church: Opening the Door to Healing
  • It's a God Thing: When Miracles Happen to Everyday People
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • The Life and Times of Jesus: The Messiah Behind Enemy Lines (Part II)
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • Second Chances: More Stories of Grace
  • The Power of Persistent Prayer: Praying With Greater Purpose and Passion
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • Woman's Guide to Reading the Bible in a Year: A Life-Changing Journey Into the Heart of God
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • Daily Reflections on the Names of God: A Devotional

“Our Lord is a foot washer, not a controller.” 2 likes
“If we saw things clearly, we'd be begging him to be in a relationship with us. Instead, he comes wooing, pursuing, serving. There is no other god who seeks like this, not in heaven or on earth, in truth or in fiction, not in our wildest dreams or imaginings. Only the God of the Bible stoops, whispers, touches gently.” 1 likes