inSignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World

inSignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  19 reviews
You Matter More Than You Realize - If you're looking for a life of meaning, take hope. God wants to use you in his surprising plan to change the world. Who would have guessed that Jesus would conquer evil not through force or victory, but through defeat? He makes the weak strong, the foolish wise, and the insignificant matter. Author and pastor Chris Travis shares powerful...more
Audio
Published August 1st 2012 by Oasis Audio

Martin
Chris Travis has written a beautiful little book. I was reminded of some great films like To Sir With Love, Stand and Deliver and Freedom Writers. In other words, this book inspires. But it goes beyond mere inspiration and challenges us. You may feel insignificant. You may be insignificant. And God may be planning to use your insignificance to change the world.

I had to stop reading several times to let my tears settle. It is hard to see a grown man cry and in this narrative, he hurts and cries....more
Marie
My curiousity was piqued after reading the description of this book so I entered the first-reads giveaway and to my surprise I was a winner! I really enjoyed this book. It was refreshing and really thought provoking. Enjoyed the author's stories from his teaching years. Would recommend this book to anyone that is spiritual.
Edward Barnett
Great book with great insight. I felt that this book was speaking directly to me. It is a powerful reminder that sometimes one is not where they want to be but where God needs them to be.
Michael Brown
Great book... will bring tears to your eyes at times... would love to visit his church sometime.
Jessi Kelly
Insignificant is a book about finding significance in the everyday things you do and how they work into God's plan for you. Chris Travis, the author of the book, is the pastor of Everyday Christian Church in Manhattan but before that he was a middle school teacher in the toughest school in NYC. He writes about his teaching experience and how it affected his walk in faith. I, for one, really appreciated his honesty. One of the big things in my faith is to be honest. If you're having a tough time,...more
Mara Kim
Ever feel like your life doesn't matter? If so, this book is for you. The author, Chris Travis is a former atheist. He is now a pastor of Everyday Christian Church in Manhattan. Prior to that, he felt lead to teach middle school. Not any middle school but the most dangerous one in New York. This middle school had the greatest number of student injuries per capita.

During his teaching, he spent many days keeping the students in line. He cleaned up graffiti, dealt with kids who were foul-mouthed an...more
Jason Lewis
Insignificant shows a great perspective that follows the ups and downs through our own questions of what we are supposed to do throughout different points in our lives. Travis recounts the toughest scenes he has personally experienced to show the steps through the process of redemption and recovery via redemption, prayer, and self soul searching.

Through detail, Travis shows that you can find the smallest things in life that can eventually create the greatest positive impact on those around you,...more
Jill Kemerer
Loved the message of this book. We put so much emphasis on our personal success, but in God's eyes we're most successful when we humble ourselves and love others as ourselves. I found Chris Travis's honesty about his spiritual state the first year of teaching at an inner city school refreshing and relatable. Too often I only think of my glory--and God breaks me down through seeming failures. To read Chris's transformation and how God used him in his second year of teaching really inspired me.

I w...more
Barb
This is a book that will make you laugh and cry and maybe even make your stomach churn with the author's as he shares about what God taught him about himself during a two year stint of teaching in a dangerous inner city school. The author shares very candidly about his experiences, his failures,and learning things about himself that he didn't always like. Ultimately he learned through it all that we matter to God. God invites each one of us to rely on Him and become part of His story.

"Book has...more
To.jfoster

The author draws from his personal experience of insignificance to discover where true significance is really found. I found his story and the painful experiences he endured to be both: challenging and inspiring. I was humbled by his trust and obedience and often found myself wondering, "would I be so courageous - to put my faith into practical action in a similar way?". That question remains; but at least I have a vision of the trajectory such faith would take!
Lisa
I won this on First Reads.

I take reading and reviewing books very seriously. Due to deaths and major family health issues, I have not been able to dedicate time or energy towards reading or reviewing. I do not want to do either half heartedly, so I will have to post this for now and will come back when things slow down. At that time I will update this with a proper review.
Chris Blair
Chris writes like he speaks. It was especially fun reading this because I know Chris and could infuse his voice and inflections in the writing. Amazing stories leading to amazing insights. Well done, Chris!
Paul
Nov 27, 2012 Paul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from the FirstReads program at Goodreads.com with the promise to review it.

I have begun to read this book and will edit my review upon completion.
Matthew Kern
Chris brings an honest and moving story to us through nine well written chapters. Realigning to read as a Christian. Probably inspiring to read as anything else.

You're silly not to read this one.
Shannon
A personal story that made me reflect on my own life at times. Definitely made some points to think on for a while.

I won a copy of this book in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Lynette Karg
Was surprised how many of the same challenges we wrestle with in a rural ministry setting.
Megan
This book will make you feel loved and let you know you do have a purpose in this world!
Insightful, moving, and challenging. I highly recommend this one!
Monique
Struggling to get through this one.
Thirza Schneider
Thirza Schneider marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Samarie
Samarie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Azusa
Azusa added it
Mar 30, 2014
Karen Stapleton
Karen Stapleton marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Steve Siebers
Steve Siebers marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Unnamed: Unsuspecting Heroes Singled Out by God Unnamed Group Member Discussion Guide: Unsuspecting Heroes Singled Out by God

“Our Lord is a foot washer, not a controller.” 2 likes
“If we saw things clearly, we'd be begging him to be in a relationship with us. Instead, he comes wooing, pursuing, serving. There is no other god who seeks like this, not in heaven or on earth, in truth or in fiction, not in our wildest dreams or imaginings. Only the God of the Bible stoops, whispers, touches gently.” 1 likes