Start by marking “Chili con Carnage” as Want to Read:
Chili con Carnage

Chili con Carnage (A Chili Cook-Off Mystery #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Bean there …done that…...

Romance is supposed to be the spice of life. But Maxie Pierce is so done with bad relationships—well, almost. She just has to get rid of the latest loser, Roberto. Besides, she has more important things to worry about. Her daddy, Texas Jack Pierce, king of the chili cook-off circuit, has been missing for nearly six weeks now. In his place, she must
Published October 1st 2013 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Chili con Carnage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chili con Carnage

The Whole Enchilada by Diane Mott DavidsonCloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlayPeach Pies and Alibis by Ellery AdamsA Custom-Fit Crime by Melissa BourbonThe Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis
2013 Cozy Mystery New Releases
34th out of 199 books — 189 voters
First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi HarrisonMidnight In The Garden Of Evel Knievel by Giles Smith
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
217th out of 258 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

LORI CASWELL
Maxie Pierce and her half-sister Sylvia are back on the Chili Cook Off circuit. Their daddy, Texas Jack Pierce, king of the chili cook-off circuit, has been missing for weeks. He has a bit of a reputation for chasing the ladies but to go off and leave The Palace in the hands of others is something her just wouldn’t do. People come from far and wide to buy his unique chili seasonings. Maxie was ready to leave Chicago but working side by side with Sylvia in the small quarters of the Palace and liv ...more
Melissa
One of my favorite kinds of cozy mysteries are "food related", and I really enjoyed this story about Maxie, and her half-sister Sylvia as they make the rounds in the chili-cook off circuit in the Hot-Cha Chili Seasoning Palace!
As soon as I started reading it, it grabbed my attention. I really like the cute expressions and sayings that are mixed into the mystery, and I love the chili pepper costume!
Maxie and Sylvia dont always get along..but they are trying hard to keep the Chili Seasoning Palac
Aurian Booklover
Jan 26, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: none
After not really enjoying my previous book by Kylie Logan, Mayhem at the Orient Express, I was not so sure about this book anymore, so it took me a while to pick it up and read. I did not get very far though. From the first pages, I disliked both the main characters, Maxie and her half sister Sylvia. They are supposed to be working together, making a living and finding their missing father. But they snipe at each other and fight and do everything but work together.
Maxie is almost continuously d
Sallee
First in a new series by Kylie Logan, the story is set in Taos at the fairground. A group of people who travel the "chili" circuit. Maxie and her half sister, Sylvia are daughters of Texas Jack Pierce, well known as king of the chili circuit. He has been missing for 6 weeks and his two daughters have teamed up to promote the family business. Celebrity Chef Carter Donnelly is to judge the Taos Chili Showdown. When Maxie's latest date turns up dead,falling out of Chef Connelly's RV door onto Maxi ...more
Mason
Maxie Pierce has had her share of bad relationships. She just needs to get out of the last one with Roberto and start clean. She already has her hands full worrying about her dad, Texas Jack Pierce, who has been missing for almost six weeks. To make matter worse, since her dad is missing and is king of the chili cook-off circuit, she has to team up with her half sister, Sylvia, to promote the family business at the Taos Chili Showdown.

But things go from bad to worse when Maxie finds Roberto’s de
Debbie Lester
Kylie Logan begins a new cozy mystery series with a chili cook-off spin. The first book in the Chili Cook-Off mystery series, Chili Con Carnage introduces readers to the carnival atmosphere of the cook-off circuit, with it's eccentric denizens and eclectic personalities. Logan does a wonderful job with characterization. Bringing readers characters who are easy to identify with, while remaining fresh and interesting. Readers will find this culinary mystery full of just as many hot and spicy momen ...more
Liz
Dec 10, 2013 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I really wanted to give this book five stars. I enjoyed reading it, but sometimes there are just to many characters or red 'pepper' thrown in to throw the reader off the track and not always in a good way. I love the idea of people going on a circuit to Chili Cook-offs. I liked the many characters in the cook-off circuit (I know that sort of contradicts my previous statement), and I liked the two sisters or as they kept pointing out 'half' sisters. This part sort of irritated me. Perhaps because ...more
Rhonda
4 STARS
I liked Chili Con Carnage. It was spicy hot with all the murders taking place.
Maxie and her half sister Sylvia are always fighting. The suspense is good to the end. Their are lots of suspects.

One thing I noticed the police did not seem to be doing much. You see them gather evidence and see them take a suspect in for the first murder and that's it.
I like Maxie. Her life is a mess. She is trying to keep her father's business going and trying to find what happened to him. He is missing.
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

Maxie Pierce has been working at Texas Jack Pierce’s Hot Cha Chili Seasoning Palace with her half sister Sylvia ever since her father went missing six weeks ago. She was hoping to divide her time between looking for their dad and dancing in the chili costume but she becomes a murder suspect when Roberto, the guy she had a fairly disastrous date with, is murdered.

Maxie is an appealing protagonist. She has her fair share of problems such as a bad track record with da
Robert
Well persnickety! Seems as if there has been a darned old murder at the chili festival. When her half sister is arrested for this horrible travesty our heroine springs into action becoming a regular Nancy Drew in heat searching for who dunnit. I really felt like I was reading someones high school English assignment rather than an actual novel printed by a publisher. My first foray into the cozy mystery and I just about did not make it out alive. I guess the cozy mystery genre is not my cup of te ...more
Vickie
A nifty premise for a cozy series. A world I didn't know about, of folks who follow the chili cook-off circuit, set up camp and sell chili-related wares. The main character, Maxie Pierce, sells chili-related herbs and spices with her half-sister and their father, though he's part of the mystery....he's disappeared.
Half-sister Sylvia is accused of murdering and ex of Maxie, so Maxie to the rescue even though she is vociferous in her mild dislike of her half-sister.
I wasn't as fond of this book
Bonnie Drummond
If you like Button Box Mysteries and League of Literary Ladies Mysteries then you'll love Kylie Logan's new series A Chili Cook-Off Mystery that will have you see red while trying to find out who did the dirty deed? While reading you want to go and fix a big pot of chili. Now go out and get started on that hot pot of chili and while that's cooking away grab a cold one ( beer, soda, wine, ice tea or water ) put you're feet up grab A Chili Cook - Off Mystery Book and see who did the deed.
Bonnie D
Linda Smatzny
This is the first book in the Chili Cook-Off Mystery Series. The main character is Maxie who along with her half sister is running Texas Jack Pierce's Hot-Cha Chili Seasoning Palace. The story is set in Taos at the Taos Chili Showdown. Roberto, a roadie, gets killed and Sylvia,the half sister, is arrested for the murder. Maxie knows that Sylvia isn't a killer and sets out to find the real killer.Some fun moments. It was a quick easy read.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Melina
Another great cozy. I love cozies because they don't have a lot of sexual content and there is some language, but nothing bad, they are how people really are. This one was no exception. I really enjoyed it. A great start to a great series. Maxie was determined to prove that her "half" sister was innocent, and her journey to that discovery was sometimes pretty funny. She had a lot of people to suspect and she also had to fend off a jealous woman who wanted to tear her apart. This book was very we ...more
Penny McGill
Well, you can't judge a cozy by it's clever title. This one had great promise but started off weak and really never caught my full attention. I read it to the finish only to find out who the killer was and see if I loved the recipes. There was only one recipe (honestly!) and it was for a moderately interesting chili. Maybe I'll read a second one of hers, just to see if they pick up but this one had a very scattered plot, too much detail about things that had happened in the main character's past ...more
Veronica
Eh, not too sure about this one. It was the usual fluffy cozy mystery but I can't decide if I like the female lead or not. She also didn't really solve the murder mystery. It doesn't count if the murderer waltzes in and announces themselves. I may or may not read more in this series.
Melodie
This was a fun read and a great start to a new series. I really liked Maxie and even liked her somewhat cold half-sister, Sylvia. Nick's a great character and I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about him, and also about Maxie & Sylvia's dad, Jack. This was a good mystery and I wasn't sure about the killer, well one killer, until the end. Kylie Logan is also Casey Daniels and Connie Laux (her real name) and whatever name she's writing under, she's getting really good at this myster ...more
Jill
Good debut
Virginia
kinda clever, lots of leads and red herrings which i like. I found the main character Really annoying though, and just found it ok overall.
Sandybear76
first book of a new series. Maxie and her half-sister Sylvia are running the Chili Palace while the dad is off to parts unknown.

It was hard to get into the characters and the book. The sisters don't like each other and fight. The Chili Palace is a food truck that travels with the Chili Showdown group like gypsies.

Elizabeth
I was really disappointed with this book. I've enjoyed everything Kylie Logan has written so I thought I'd try this. The story itself wasn't too bad but two of the characters, Maxie and Sylvia, were so annoying it actually took away from it. Maxie gets better, which helps considerably, but Sylvia definitely ruined it. :/
Amanda
Maxie seems like such an interesting character, I bet she would be a lot of fun to hangout with!

I really hope that Maxie and Nick get to know each other better, they seem like they could really help one another get over the pain of their pasts.
Kim
As much as I adore another series by this same author (she writes under many names) I just couldn't get into this one. I ended up skimming it to finish it. It was not my personal cup of tea or should I say bowl of chili?
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Even though I love Kylie Logan and this book is excellently written, I'm only going 2.5 stars. I struggled to really like the MC and I HATED her sister.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/702760...
DJ =^^=
first book in a new cozy mystery series. cute story. I craved chili while reading this book.. the only downside is that the book offers just one recipe. Can't wait for the next book. :)
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
good start to a new series. good mix of characters. it isn't obvious who the killer is but I had my suspicions!
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
2.5 stars. This one was just ok for me. I didn't hate it but it was not memorable.
Beth
I"m looking forward to more books in this series! Please keep writing!
  • Gluten for Punishment (A Baker's Treat Mystery, #1)
  • Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1)
  • Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Freezer I'll Shoot (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Crabby Cook: A Food Festival Mystery
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Plum Deadly
  • Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1)
  • Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings, #1)
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • Well Read, Then Dead
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat, #1)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1) Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1) Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2) A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2) Panic Button (Button Box Mystery, #3)