Start by marking “Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds” as Want to Read:
Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds

Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  879 ratings  ·  212 reviews
“Bamboo is flexible, bending with the wind but never breaking, capable of adapting to any circumstance. It suggests resilience, meaning that we have the ability to bounce back even from the most difficult times. . . . Your ability to thrive depends, in the end, on your attitude to your life circumstances. Take everything in stride with grace, putting forth energy when it i ...more
Published December 31st 2012 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bend, Not Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bend, Not Break

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyWide Sargasso Sea by Jean RhysMrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
The Year of Reading Women #readwomen2014
209th out of 391 books — 74 voters
Dragon Lady by Sterling SeagraveChina's Vanishing Worlds by Matthias MessmerChinas One Child Policy by and Human Rights  Global He...China's One-Child Policy and Multiple Caregiving by Esther C.L. GohChina's "One Child" by Edward Ted Pohlman
China Report Recommends
15th out of 94 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

S. Rogers
Jan 04, 2015 S. Rogers rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
If I could give 0 star to this book, I would.

This memoir is full of contradictory fabrications mixed with high-minded talking. A lot of the stories in this book have been proven fake beyond doubt. Ping Fu herself had to retract quite a few major claims and correct quite a few "errors." Ping Fu has become so notorious in Chinese American communities that her name is synonymous with liar. Plug "Ping Fu" and "liar" into Google these days and the combo yields more than 6,300 hits.

Has any one ever he
Karolyn Sherwood
I don't read a lot of memoirs. So, BEND, NOT BREAK is either a perfect example of why I don't, or it's simply a terrible book.

Ping Fu must be a brilliant person. She apparently overcame great odds as a young girl in China, was then "quietly expelled" from China, and eventually succeeded in America as the head of Geomagic, a software company that works to create 3D products.

This memoir, however, is poorly written (style-wise), full of inaccuracies (many since recounted by the author), and begs
Jade
As a law-abiding US citizen and a conscientious reader (just like other Chinese Americans on Amazon), I have the obligation to inform the general public of the falsehood in Ping Fu's memoir Bend, Not Break as well as her interviews with different media.

1. She had family ties to Sun Yat-sen, the “Father of China” although an expert on Sun's life had no knowledge of such a relationship.

2. She described that the Rape of Nanjing Memorial Day falls on May 30, "making my birthday both a cause of celeb
Camelia Rose
Is this book supposed to be a memoir? If it's, then it is a perfect memoir of a liar. She lied from the beginning to the end. Anyone who knows about Chinese history of that period would easily spot numerous inconsistencies, misleading statements, wrong dates and made-up "facts" throughout the book. Even the photo she provided does not match the description in her book. I must agree with this review on Amazon:

What a waste of time, at least I did not pay for
Normad
From reviewer H. Zhang:

Nobody is jealous of Ping’s success. I am a Chinese American woman myself. I saw this book in Costco and immediately decided to buy it. While most western books about Asian women tend to focus on the exotic sex appealing or obedient wife stereotype. I thought FINALLY we had a book that do us justice and show us as what we really are, the intelligent, hardworking professionals. I want to read it. I want my kids to read it so they can understand me more.

However, I have a com
Mu Yang
A terrible liar I have ever known. Unbelievable.

"How many dishes must Mama serve
Before she can call it a night?
The answer is twelve, followed by a soup
Cause there is nothing more she can do.

How many years must one stay married
Before her green card is safe?
The answer is three, exactly is three
That's when she sends him away.

How many horses must the Red Guards have
To murder a teacher at school?
The answer is four, emotionally four
That's what bad dreams tell Ms. Bamboo.

How many slaps must Rambo take
B
Truth Prevail
Guardian just had a report (link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/...)

It says: for Ping Fu's rags-to-riches memoir Bend Not Break, "Critics acknowledge the horrors of the cultural revolution, but question Fu's personal account. She has already conceded that a description of Red Guards killing a teacher by tying their victim to four horses was an "emotional memory" and probably wrong. Closer examination of her book and interviews reveal numerous conflicting claims and experts told the Guardi
Ann
The story is a shocking misrepresentation of the recent Chinese history and a shameless fabrication of a heroic story that never happened and could never happen. I'd like to quote Fang Zhouzi, a freelance Chinese write who just recieved John Maddox Prize for been an ardent whistle blower for misdemeanors in scientific research, who recently provided a detailed rebuttal to some of the books claims.

"

I was a young child at the beginning of the Cultural Revolution. My home and those of my close r
Jean
I would have had no issue with this book if it is categorized as Fiction/Fantasy. But since Ping Fu has the audacity to categorize this as non-fiction/memoir/biography, then I have some issue with it.

Its target audience is definitely western readers who have no basic knowledge of China.

I was born and raised in China, i'm too young to experience Cultural revolution, but my dad and my grandpa were persecuted during those dark days, as well as both of my aunts. My parents went to college in NUAA,
Tibetan Monk

A review from Amazon questioning the truthfulness of Ms. Fu Ping's book "Bend not Break".

Fabricating suffering for personal gain is a true insult to those who did suffer.

[A promotion photo from the author that tells a different story from her book]

Search google image using the words "Ping, in the bottom row, second from the right along with the other children forced to live in government dormitories during China's Cultural Revolution. Image: Courtesy of Ping Fu.", you will get a black/white phot
H C
This Bamboo Lady is In-Credible.

"Unfortunately, I have, and frankly speaking as one who read quite a lot of books on that dark era of Chinese history (scar literature), I can tell this book feels like a combination of many other's stories, and greatly exaggerated. Forrest Gump, if you can recall that one, it is a great inspiring story. However, if you truly believe that's someone's memoir ... I can only feel truly sorry for that.

Indeed I cannot easily just telling others in their face that thei
C Bonston
Ping Fu may have done a good job to publish her inspiring personal memoir, which gained major media attention and reached the New York Times bestseller lists. Unfortunately, a liar is a liar. Perhaps there is no other thing in the world that is more difficult than covering a lie with another. Just a moment ago, the famous Chinese Scientific & Academic Integrity Watchdog, Dr. Fang Zhouzi found another "inspiring" personal memoir published by the same author in 1996 in China. Completely differ ...more
James
It is a struggle to finish the book. I have to give it one star because the system does not allow any lower number.

I came to the book with knowledge and personal experience of Cultural Revolution (CR) in China and 3D printing. If you think that helped me, NO, it almost killed me.

This is a beautifully written book thanks to the ghost writer. I wanted to move on to finish the book.

The content is so out of this world, it is against so many things that I knew and experienced. I wanted to stop readi
Sylvia
Shameless lies through out the book. Anyone with reasonable knowledge of modern China knows her stories are total fabrication. Please read some amazon reviews of the book. http://www.amazon.com/Bend-Not-Break-...
Katie
I have read a lot of memoirs...really did not like this one at all. The style of writing was sophomoric and something about this story didn't ring true. My feeling is that there was a basic truth there but it was highly embellished to make it more interesting.
Charlie
I heard this book and thought it was a good one for life and career. To have a role model in life.

Then I learned the fierce controversy about the author. Indeed, many of the author's stories don't ring true. I can't image so many tragedies happened to one person. I have read lots of debunks about the author. I have to agree that I am on the critic’s side.

This book has a little truth but the author and ghostwriter have highly embellished to a ridicule degree. Now it is clear that the book is fabr
Amy
Mar 27, 2013 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: NPR
Shelves: 2013, memoir-types
I enjoyed this read, but found that it stretched my credulity more than once. Not that I don't believe that China's Cultural Revolution would leave an 8 year old living on her own, but that she single handed-ly opened the floodgates revealing China's infantacide, that she happily met with her tormentors as an adult....Some of it seemed just a mite too fantastic for belief.

I of course liked to see that she rose from poverty and abuse to success, but Im seeing now several reviews questioning her h
Beth Withers
After reading some of the comments below and doing a bit of research of my own, I have to retract what I'd written initially. I leave the reader to do his or her own research before deciding the veracity of this book. A lesson learned for me.

Beilin Zhang
This is becoming the next A Little Million Pieces.
Lorraine
Since I wrote the`review in February, I discovered that there may be some mis-truths in this book, which I am sorry to say I did not know originally. I didn't question anything because I just assumed that if someone is writing a memoir, everything it is will be the truth as the person remembered it. I felt I should add this to thhe review.

This is a memoir about a woman who lived through the Cultural Revolution in China, was taken away from her parents at age eight where she lived with other chil
Lilisa
Began the book without having read the storm of reviews this book has generated, so didn’t have any preconceived notions. I’ve read several books with the Cultural Revolution years as the backdrop, so was interested to see how this one compared. Overall, it wasn’t as rich and engaging as others; I found, what I thought, were a few inconsistencies, although Ping Fu might have had a slightly different experience, only she knows. I found I had more questions than answers to several parts in the boo ...more
Caroline
Jul 23, 2015 Caroline marked it as did-not-finish
This book has a unique status in my "did not finish shelf", for I never even started it!

I saw it on the shelf at the library, saw that it was a New York Times bestseller, and the blurb sounded fascinating. A book about life in China during the Cultural Revolution, followed by a rags to riches, happy-ever-after life in America. What was there not to like?

Then I got home and looked at the GR reviews.

I am not even opening the book. Tomorrow it goes back to the library. It sounds like lies and cods
Twigg
There's two sides to this book. On one hand this is story of a woman who spent part of her childhood in luxury, another part of childhood in prison, and eventually came to America where she found success.

On the other hand a lot of people believe that Ping Fu made this story up. I don't know enough about China's history to agree or disagree with any of these claims.

The accusations ruined the book for me. I couldn't get into the story without the thought that it was made up pulling at me.

Note: I
Steve
Mar 25, 2013 Steve added it
Good story, but is it really true? There was a lot of controversy about this book that may have come from within China. It really damaged the book and it turns out some of Fu's claims needed to be revised.
Ting Lei
full of lies. A insult to those real victims. If labelled
as a fiction, I may give more stars
Virna
I really want to like this book, and now I know why there's just something amiss I can't really place while reading this thanks to GR reviews. So this is another Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time moment, only that I think Greg Mortensen's had a better ghostwriter and he did visit the villages he mentioned about initially to help the community.

The story started with Ping Fu just landed in New Mexico from China, without knowing any bit of English spoken
Elaine
I'm in no position to evaluate the various claims that Fu has made about her experiences or the challenges that others have made about her recounting. Nonetheless, I found this book very disappointing.

The beginning of the book was impressive. Fu painted a really intimate portrait of her early childhood -- for me, she really captured a Chinese lyricism. Clearly for her, that period of her life was almost idyllic and that comes through very beautifully.

However, as the story proceeds, it becomes a
Peter Long
It's amazing such a big liar like Ping Fu could have a market in U.S. which supposes to value honesty! However, it's also understandable because China-bashing has become a polital correctness in U.S.. What Fu says is what many brain-washed people love to hear here. These brain-washed (by their biasede and anti-China media) don't care about seeking truth; some people with their own political agenda such Ping Fu know this. That's why these liars have been telling lies about China and insulting Ame ...more
Chrissy Marlowe
So I got about 2/3 of the way through this even though it is poorly written-I often felt like I was on the phone with the author and she was droning on and on about her life. Then I read some of the very harsh reviews claiming that the author is not telling the truth. I have no idea whether or not those reviews are right but reading a poorly written autobiography that is potentially not true was the straw on that camel's back. Not going to finish.
Debs
I read some pages of this book from nook online book store, I liked it and I thought I'd buy the book in the future.
When I read the rate on goodread with 'a star' only and long long details, I decided not to read this book anymore.

If you are wondering why? Please read the reviews on good read and you will know why. Not wasting my time.
True or False? The Tussle Over Ping Fu's Memoir 1 21 Apr 10, 2013 11:00PM
  • The Little Red Guard
  • Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China
  • A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China
  • China: A New History
  • Strange Stones: Dispatches from East and West
  • Re-Awaken the Giant Within
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • A Kiss Before You Go: An Illustrated Memoir of Love and Loss
  • A Heart for Freedom: The Remarkable Journey of a Young Dissident, Her Daring Escape, and Her Quest to Free China's Daughters
  • What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer
  • Return to Dragon Mountain: Memories of a Late Ming Man
  • The Exile
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • Mean Girls at Work
  • Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes: The Tangshan Earthquake and the Death of Mao's China
  • Consequential Strangers: The Power of People Who Don't Seem to Matter. . . But Really Do

“Our choice, always, is to love and understand.” 4 likes