Start by marking “Seawitch” as Want to Read:

Seawitch (Greywalker #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,755 ratings  ·  151 reviews
A quarter century ago, the Seawitch cruised away from her dock and disappeared with everyone on board. Now, the boat has mysteriously returned to her old berth in Seattle and the insurance company has hired Harper to find out what happened.

But Harper is not the only one investigating. Seattle Police Detective Rey Solis is a good cop, albeit one who isn’t comfortable with
Published July 2nd 2013 by Roc (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seawitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawitch

⊱ Irena ⊰
After she dealt with the mystery of her own family, helped placing the new Guardian Beast, realized she mustn't play with death anymore, Harper gets a new case. A boat that was missing for twenty-seven years suddenly comes back without its passengers but with a lot of bloody clues on board.

This time, though, she has to work closely with Ray Solis and the Danzingers are in England. Fortunately, I wasn't mistaken in liking Ray Solis. Harper will even meet his family. That experience will show a
Ranting Dragon
Review originally posted here:

Seawitch is the seventh novel of the nationally bestselling Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. Private investigator and Greywalker Harper Blaine is back in Seattle after the the events of book six ( Downpour ) took both her and her boyfriend out of their comfort zones and to a national park near Seattle.

Paranormal Haven
Harper is sent by an insurance company to investigate a boat that went missing twenty-seven years ago and suddenly showed back up at the harbor. It didn’t have any passengers, but it does look a mess. One of the rooms had a lot of blood decorating the floor in a ritualistic manner. Rey Solis, a police detective that usually finds his way attached to Harper’s unusual cases, is charged with seeing if foul play had anything to do with it, but what he really wants is the dirt on Harper. They both ge ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
“…this is not a job you quit – it’s one you die from.” – Harper Blaine, SEAWITCH

Though previous installments in the Greywalker series have been a little slow for my tastes, from that chilling line of the prologue onward, SEAWITCH had me hooked. The mystery presents itself on page one, in the figure of a ghost ship returned, empty and bloodspattered, after a twenty-seven year absence. The superstition of maritime magic fascinated me immediately, and the active presence of both Quinton and Sergean
I seem to be in the minority here on this book. I thought it was too confusing. There was too much information about ships that I couldn't visualize. It was tedious. The bad guys were difficult to understand. What was happening was difficult to understand. And suddenly people who usually can't see grey can see things. There were too many characters that weren't important enough but I kept getting tangled in their names and places and relative importance. Even at the end, I didn't really understa ...more
Kathy Davie
Seventh in the Greywalker urban fantasy series revolving around Harper Blaine in Seattle.

My Take
Poor Solis. He's had his suspicions about Harper and they're all about to be confirmed. And then some. It turns out he has an ulterior motive to learn more about what he's suspected.

There's a strange sort of magic surrounding Harper in this one. Not the usual vampires and witches. Still, I suppose if Richardson is going to up the legal end of things with Solis as Harper's partner for this case, it's
Garrett Jones
Originally posted here:

Harper Blaine used to be a smaller-time private investigator–that is, until she died for two minutes. Now, she's a Greywalker, so
This is the seventh book in the Greywalker series. It was a solid addition to the series but was pretty contained; there was no new big story-arc started.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was very well done. The narrator does an excellent job and sounds exactly like I imagine Harper would. She also does an excellent job distinguishing between voices.

Harper and detective Solis have both been assigned with the investigation of a mysterious ghostly ship that has appeared in the harb
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at

Favorite Quote: “Welcome to the freak show.“

Seawitch, the seventh installment in Richardson’s Greywalker series, pits magic against good old police skills in a swashbuckling seafaring adventure when Harper Blaine teams up with a Seattle police detective to investigate a decades old mystery. When a boat (the Seawitch) that has been missing for 27 years suddenly turns up, abandoned in its slip, the insurance company calls in Harper Blain
The Greywalker series is one of my favorite urban fantasies. It has elements I love; fantastic world building, fully developed characters, mysteries, suspense, and plenty of paranormal woo-woo. I was absolutely smitten with Downpour the last installment of the series and the wait for Seawitch was excruciating! It was worth every second as Richardson delivered a fast paced, action packed tale that kept me on the edge of my seat. I had to force myself to set it down or else I would have consumed i ...more
Keith Ross
Seawitch wasn't a bad story, but I just wasn't into it. I found it even less compelling than Downpour, the last book I read in the Greywalker series. In this book, Richardson has decided to move formerly minor character Ray Solice into a more prominent story position. I'm not opposed to that, and his family actually seems like they could be interesting. The mystery itself, though, is very blah. I can only recommend it for big series fans. I still have hope that things will take a turn for the be ...more
Thomas Edmund
On the scale of urban fantasy Seawitch errs more towards the police procedural side, with a focus on typical investigative practices such as interviews and 'clue-gathering.' Except of course when the big reveal happens the plot is largely supernatural in nature.

While well put together and without many faults, my issue with Seawitch was it lacked somewhat in originality, the story was solid but nothing about it stood out with any WTF (good wtf) factor.
Another enjoyable book. In this addition, we learn more about the police officer Detective Rey Solis. I love how she includes the history of Washington into her stories. This time it is Puget Sound & the many sea tragedies. Of course, there are paranormal activities too! Some classic sea creatures such as merfolk & some unknown to me like dobhar-chu & father otter.
Ea Solinas
One of the best things about the Greywalker series is that, unlike most paranormal PIs, Harper Blaine actually does real detective work. Of course, most of that work ends up dragging her back into Grey stuff yet again -- and such happens in "Seawitch," an urban fantasy soaked in sea brine and chilly mist. At times the plot moves a little slowly, but Kat Richardson makes up for it with a genuinely haunting mystery.

Two decades ago, the luxury yacht Seawitch vanished without a trace. Now it's retur
From some perspectives, I can see Seawitch being one of the strongest installments in the Greywalker series so far. It definitely has scads more page-time devoted to characterization than I’m used to reading from Kat Richardson. At the same…I was just confused by the plot, so by the end I really wasn’t feeling it. In addition, I don’t really think this author is a very good writer. So. Altogether, not my favorite.

Some points of interest:

- I liked the mythology involved. Giant sea otters and sea
Phillip III
I have been a fan of Kat Richardson since the release of the first Greywalker book. I have just two more in the series to read (Possession & Revenant).

Seawitch was a bit different than the other six I'd read. While I am used to ghosts and vampires, this installment was ... odd.

When a ship reappears after 27 years, without a crew or passengers, the insurance company Harper works for hires her to investigate. Detective Solis volunteers to look into possible crimes committed.

Was a possible sex
Been a while since I've read a book in the greywalker series. Set around the story of a ship which returns 27 years after it was lost with all hands. The seawitch seems wrong which is where Harper Blaine comes into the story, a private detective who can see ghosts and other weird and wonderful things.
Enjoyed this return to Seattle, though some of the story also occurs at sea. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
I rather liked this one and was tempted to give it four stars. I really liked Solis. I hope we see more of him.

The reason why I didn't is that this book is basically a ripoff of a horror movie that came out twelve years ago. It's almost ridiculously the same. I'm surprised none of the reviews I read pointed this out. Even the souls leaving at the end was exactly the same.

The movie title is 'Ghost Ship'. Very original, I know. Basically, a guy found to be alone on a ship and is 'rescued'. He then
I really like this series. While I don't see ghost or anything of the sort, I can relate to her as a character. She feels completely real to me.

I also like how the mysteries aren't truly solved by paranormal intervention, it is mostly straight detective work - even if some of that detecting has to do with ghosts and other strange creatures.
An auspicious first half that fizzled once action was overshadowed by speculation. My attention tends to wander in Greywalker books, and the mystery elements themselves aren't particularly easy to follow. I do like that maritime superstition is more the focus of this book than the physics of the Grey.
Nov 01, 2014 Stacey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the supernatural who like a Nancy Drew-type read.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The content was generally mediocre (it's a quick, pulp fiction read), but the author was quite good about giving the main character some very human thoughts that seemed more in line with literary fiction than pulp fiction. These deep thoughts made me like the book more than I thought would.

I have not read a Harper Blaine novel before, so I have no thoughts on how this tale rates against the others. I really enjoyed the framing of her ability to perceive t
Jul 06, 2012 Kriss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
AM DYING to read this. Wish I knew how to get in on THESE types of ARC reviews.. one day.. one day
Started out fun, but got a bit ridiculous
It had been a while, a long while, since I'd last ventured into the Grey with Harper Blaine.
I felt this sudden need to delve into it again, last week. So I broke down and ordered the book previous to this, Downpour, on my Kindle.
And I inhaled every word of that book in no time.
I just HAD to read another and so I ordered this one right as soon as I finished Downpour.

Without giving too much away in Seawitch, an old, long missing ship rolls into dock. There is no one on board. There are obvious s
I have loved the Greywalker series from the beginning, mostly they drag 4 or 5 stars from me with 2 outliers. Underground and this installment just didn't do it for me. As for this book there was just too much nautical info dumping, and not enough of what has made this series my favorite (the main characters). I almost feel as if the series should have wrapped up already, and that it just felt a little too much like pushing. The main story archs have mostly been resolved and the only place I see ...more
Shanshad Whelan
I've been faithfully following the Greywalker series for all seven books now. Actually, I didn't really know about the books until I came across a Greywalker short story in one of the anthologies I read. I was intrigued by the character and the world building and promptly dug up the first book in the series. (So you see, those anthologies can really help find new readers).

What to tell you . . . I honestly feel this particular addition to the series has a quieter and more subdued tone to it over
I loved it.

And that is how you get your readers to fall back in love with the series again.

When I started reading this book, I had some reservation about it as the previous book was pretty disappointing for me.
I was bored by it.

But this book? AMAZING !!

Oh yes... REALLY!!

What I liked:
1) The mystery and suspense surrounding the appearance of a boat named Seawitch after disappearing for 27 years with the owner and passengers.
2) Harper
3) Quinton
4) The twists
5) The spookiness factor that the book
In the first six books of the Greywalker series, Seattle-based private eye Harper Blaine uses her unique abilities to interact with such paranormal beings as vampires, ghosts, poltergeists, necromancers, zombies, Chinese demons, Native American monsters, Egyptian gods, and Thames riverspawn. Her cases have taken her underground, into the ivory tower of academics, back in time (sort of), into the wilds of Twilight country, and back from the dead. Now, finally, in Book 7 she fulfills the possibili ...more
After all those Dresden files novels, I went right into the latest in another "urban fantasy" series. Seawitch is the latest entry into the Greywalker series about a PI who's close call with death left her attuned to the Grey world of magic and the dead. You might think I am going to compare it with The Dresden Files, but the Greywalker series is actually much more akin to mystery novels in feel and pacing than Butcher's action-heavy series. Seawitch itself is a good book that never quite rises ...more
iBooks and weirdness 1 14 Aug 12, 2012 03:06PM
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Haunted (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
  • The Mortal Bone (Hunter Kiss, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Lust for Life (WVMP Radio, #4)
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
Author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Lives on a boat in Seattle with her husband and the ghosts of ferrets.
More about Kat Richardson...

Greywalker (10 books)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Chemotherapy (Greywalker #4.5)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)

“I threw my arms around him. “I yearn only for you.”
Quinton gave a self-conscious shrug and an embarrassed laugh. “I feel the same way about you and I’m sorry I’m  .  .  . being an ass. Also, I suspect you just wanted to use ‘yearn’ in a sentence.”
“Fall?” he repeated. “Say more like flying, as if someone threw you. What  .  .  . was that?”
I chewed on my words before I let them out. “I  .  .  . sometimes have little disagreements with  .  .  . um, with reality. And physics.”