24 Hour Party People

24 Hour Party People

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  16 reviews
''The musicians own everything. The company owns nothing. All our bands have the freedom to f**k off''

Written in blood, The Factory non-contract set out the manifesto for one of the most influential and progressive record labels of our time...

Manchester, 1976: Anthony Wilson, Granada TV presenter, is at an early Sex Pistols gig. Inspired by this pivotal moment in music his...more
Published March 8th 2002 by Channel 4

Airin
Dec 27, 2012 Airin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
For those who have watched 24 Hour Party People, as in the film of the same name, 80% of this book will sound familiar to the point of repetition. In other words, this book is more or less a direct novelization of the based-on-a-true-story film about Factory Records, only written by the man the film was about. Confusing? Sort of, especially if you stop to think about the boundaries between fact and fiction too much. I suppose 24 Hour Party People is one of those books where you're not necessaril...more
Spiros
Sep 19, 2010 Spiros rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mancs, and those with a bit of Manchester in them
Okay, it's official, I'll cop to it. I am one massive dork. I came across this on my vacation, and didn't even blink at the $21.95 pricetag, so much have I bought into 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE. This is the first novelization of a screenplay I have read since the STAR WARS (if you're not familair with the movie, it doesn't matter, but you should probably see more movies) novelization, when I was 12.
It must be said that this is a novelization with a difference; more accurately, this is Tony Wilson's a...more
A.
Mar 19, 2010 A. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: to-loan
History, sorta - Tony Wilson famously exaggerated. If you have an interest in late 70s/early 80s post-punk or 1990s Madchester, this is the book to read for it's pseudohistory
Leah L Mills
Glad I haven't watched the film in so long because the book apparently mainly follows that.
I wanted to find out more about my mum's Hacienda days and Wilson really put me there. Great story-telling and yet a severely boring and dull read in places.
Wilson's personal voice really grates on you after a while.
Connaire Demain
Disappointment is probably the wrong word, but that is indeed what it is... Don't get me wrong it is as novelizations go a very funny, and good one. It however would have been nice to have been slightly more straight laced, and have had Wilson's take on the whole thing, and not the mainly fabricated movie version.

Still worth a read though.

It also doesn't have 9999 pages...
Steve Mitchell
If you can get past the writing style – 66 chapters in 250 pages – then this is actually an enjoyable and informative read. As a novelisation of the film of the same name this is a work that is fictionalised but based on true events of Factory Records and the Hacienda Club, so if you want an exhaustive history you should probably read more.
Mills College Library
Fiction W7466 2002
Tosh
The late great Tony Wilson's only book. Great film and this book is wonderful. Wilson had the 'vision't thing, that made his record label more than a record label (Factory). Hustler galore, a man who can turn shit into gold, and also seemed to have a big heart. Really funny as well.
Jason
Big 'Madchester' fan early 90's was when I was at my most free and living life to the full! Loved the film, loved the book. Loved getting FACd. Read it if you like alternative music. A must for fans of Happy Mondays, Joy Division, New Order or post punk and E culture.
Craig
A must-read for anyone who has any level of appreciation for the Manchester music scene of the late 70's/early 80's. Think you know the full story behind Joy Division, New Order, Factory Records, and The Hacienda? Think again. Read this book!!
David Gleeson
The style he's adopted takes a bit of getting used to - but there are some priceless observations in here, alternating between megalomania and wry self-deprecation. A must for anyone into early Factory bands and later Madchester era.
Chi Chi
I'm not sure this book would be enjoyable or even make sense to anyone who hasn't seen the movie or already knows about Tony Wilson, but for those who have, they will surely love it. But I didn't need to tell you that.
Barbara
Disappointing - this book is based on the screenplay for the film of the same name.
Ipswichblade
Easy read and imagined in the voice of the late Tony Wilson
Sonia
Sep 05, 2007 Sonia marked it as to-read
RIP Anthony Wilson!
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kevin O'Conner
Kevin O'Conner marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Robert Caledon
Robert Caledon is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
John
John added it
Jul 23, 2014
Jair Ibarra
Jair Ibarra marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Colin Miller
Colin Miller marked it as to-read
Varpu
Varpu marked it as to-read
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
  • Last Gang in Town: The Story and Myth of the Clash
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Nico: Songs They Never Play on the Radio
  • The Clash: Strummer, Jones, Simonon, Headon
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
  • Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer
  • Ranters and Crowd Pleasers: Punk in Pop Music, 1977-1992
  • Destroy All Movies!!!: The Complete Guide to Punks on Film
  • Passion Is a Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash
  • Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and The Germs
  • Generation Ecstasy
More about Tony Wilson...
Schapelle: The facts, the evidence, the truth The Emperor's New Clothes Horse Neck Pain: Nine tips You Wish You Knew to Relieve Your Neck Pain: Neck Pain Management And Relief Made Incredibly Easy 24 Hour Party People Stress Management. Relieve Stress Related Neck Pain

“Pong had mutated into large stand-up Sega consoles by '82 and here was some extra revenue the guys were well up for. So the space on the left of the entrance was to be the games room. Until two weeks to opening.

"Where's the cloakroom?"
"The what?"
"The cloakroom, the fucking cloakroom."
"What's your problem?"
"We don't have a cloakroom. We have special polished South African granite bar tops that we haven't told Erasmus about 'cause he has a thing about apartheid, we have a balcony balustrade made of shaped QE-fucking-2 mahogany, but we seem to have built an entire club without a cloakroom."
"Fuck."

Hence you did not pass the games room but the cloakroom, the only cloakroom in the Manchester with forty-two power points. if you ever wanted to do a bit of ironing, these people were there for you.”
1 likes
“Honouring the youth of their town they provided a décor that a £20-a-Martini fleecing parlour could not have amortized. They had bought eighty low Alvar Aalto stools for the alcove and coctail bar seating. Also, twenty tall numbers in the same bent bleach wood classic style. Extremely expensive and brought in from Finland at equally great expense.

And in the first twelve months, ninety percent had disappeared. Compared to the catastrophic damage done every other week to one of the toilets just off the main dance floor --the level of masonry demolition going deep into the floor implied the use of a full-sized pneumatic drill-- the loss of a bunch of stools was incidental.

The fact that thirty-two then turned up in New Order's rehearsal room was therefore coincidental. If you couldn't join in the public in stealing from your own club, what was the point of opening it?”
1 likes